The Village Family Services Employee Reviews

Great mission and good environment
manager (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAApril 11, 2019
The Village has a great mission and i feel that Im contributing with my skills to improve the quality of life of children and families impacted by trauma.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Stressful, poor mangement, favortism, backstabbers
CM (Former Employee) –  North HollywoodFebruary 22, 2019
The only great thing about this environment was my co-workers, super great people all hard workers. The clinical staff (except two) are all like high school kids they seem all nice to your face but talk bad about you to other employees. Favoritism is an extreme problem here, if you work hard you will definitely not be noticed seen this happen to a few co-workers who did above and beyond. They will burn you out on purpose and not even feel bad. The turn over rate is ridiculous that should already be a sign!!!!!! HELLO??? does management not notice especially all these reviews. Everyone would discuss these reviews and they are embarrassing. No bonus, no raises, barely a holiday party. They will never make you feel like your work is valued/important. To this company you are replaceable, just remember that. I seen people put their all to working here and just get turned down. This company just gets worse and worse as time goes, wouldn't be surprised if it closes soon.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management, favortism, high school environment, gossipers, not valued
Facilitator - Domestic Violence, Parenting & Anger Management
Facilitator/Counselor (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CADecember 29, 2018
I always enjoyed going to work at The Village Family Services - I enjoyed making an impact and changing peoples lives for the better. I would enjoy doing this job again.
do as I say, not as I do.
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Red River ValleyDecember 20, 2018
The Village talks a talk they do not walk. They are a very sick organization and if I wasn't so far in I can't afford to start over somewhere else, I would have already left. There is no where to advance to, dishonesty is policy, and they do not live by "their values". It is a smokescreen. Turnover is rampant and employees are unhappy. It is sad to work here and see friends treated poorly. There are areas I would have given them a '0', but that wasn't an option. This was a nice place to work years ago, but isn't now, and the current managements seems to like it that way. I think most of the people that work here are good people, but those in control, and believe me - it is all about control, are questionable. Unqualified leadership.
Don't work here. You went into this profession to help people... and the village is about personal agendas and alliances. It is like Survivor! You never who has your back and who will vote you out!
Pros
It's a job. The work is easy.
Cons
Working for this organization.
Prepare for lack of support
Housing (Former Employee) –  North HollywoodOctober 14, 2018
This job seemed to be a dream and for what they represent, it managed to be inspiring but there is lack of planning and training and the supervisors are back stabbers who are only interested in getting ahead. Some of the staff is great and while there are good people, the shelter they opened in March is already being shut down due to poor planning and lack of support. It's a disaster and people should think twice about accepting a job here. They promote the wrong people and fail to support the hard workers. Don't expect professionalism.
Pros
Vacation time and paid holidays
Cons
Favoritism, lack of planning and suppory
Run
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAOctober 6, 2018
One of the worst places you can work at, upper management plays favorites left and right. The only great thing about this organization is the staff of clinicians and the rest of the staff. The pay is very little and is a mocary for its employees. The turn out rate is higher than any that I have seen and not to mention relatives supervising relatives, I mean how unethical is that?
Pros
Staff
Cons
Upper management and favoritism
Productive and fast-work pace
Peer Life Coach (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CASeptember 26, 2018
The place is very cool but there's a lot you have to keep up with. A typical day would be relaxed depending on the clients. I loved working there but the rate was low for what you would have to deal with.
Horrible workplace environment
Therapist Intern (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 23, 2018
I do not recommend working here. Poor management, high employee turn around rate, high case loads (most cases were high crisis and out of clinicians scope), you are expected to work long hours and micromanaged (work with your office door wide open so management can see you, not allowed to eat in offices and only in designated areas which were never available because it was being used as a conference room), constantly being emailed about your whereabouts. No support from clinical management who play favorites and if they dislike you...you feel it.... It was frown upon if you wanted to take personal time off for self care and you were singled out as not being a team player if you asked. Management did not advocate for their employees.
Pros
The wonderful staff of clinicians
Cons
Upper management, poor work culture, increases burn out rate
Official response from The Village Family Services
April 9, 2018

The Village Family Services is a DMH contracted children’s intensive service provider. Our management team is a highly seasoned, open door, collaborative, support net available to assist clinicians daily. Clinicians manage their own schedules to meet the needs of their clients and have a high degree of flexibility. We have a team centered environment that is well defined during the interview. Most of our former clinicians who have moved on have taken other positions outside of the DMH provider network with many staying in communication with management to share their current successes. Every employee is highly encouraged to take all personal and vacation time regularly to rejuvenate their mind, body and spirit.

One of the worst and most poorly run and managed companies I've ever worked for.
Biller (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood CaliforniaMarch 19, 2018
It was a very stressful and poorly run company. The finance the finance department was always in serious stressful situations. The billing department received no direction at any time and was constantly forced to be in an unknown state of work. As a Biller I had to use my own experience and knowledge to get the job done without any advice or knowledge of what the company really wanted. Their migration from one electronic health record system to another in the last 30 days before we had to go live with the electronic system was changed and everyone had to learn a new system with very poor and little training which left everyone in a state of bewilderment. I would not recommend this job to anyone as the company seems to have complete lack of knowledge and direction and just simply terminates employees and hires new ones and then the process starts all over again. Steer clear of this company.
Pros
Excellent benefits and pretty good pay.
Cons
Racial favoritism and exclusion to those that don't belong.
Stellar Clinical Team
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 6, 2018
I have learned more working at this agency than in any other employment setting. There is an abundant amount of training extended to clinical staff, and the Supervisors are very knowledgeable about children's mental health. The clinical department staff collaborate well to meet the needs of the children and families served. There is a healthy amount of light humor and laughter in the office, which is much needed to balance out the challenges of working with children with intensive mental health needs. The caseloads for therapists are lower than other DMH-contracted agencies. The hardest part of the job is probably balancing out the stress with adequate self-care. Staff are encouraged to utilize paid time off and set appropriate work/life boundaries so that they do not burn out. I have been employed here for nearly 4 years, and what I like the most about working here is that my colleagues are supportive, fun and I am inspired by the incredible work our clinical team performs on a daily basis.
Pros
Collaborative team, supportive Supervisors, reasonable caseloads
Cons
Stress (to be expected given the population we serve)
Terrible place to work
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAFebruary 26, 2018
This business is not at all what I thought when I interviewed. The CFO has no real business in the role with lack of real knowledge about finance. They mistreat the employees and the upper management gives free range of lower management to mistreat the employees. Even after lawsuits.
Pros
benefits, free parking
Cons
terrible management who doesn't actually care about employees or kids they are there to serve.
Stressful environment
Therapist (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAFebruary 15, 2018
A very stressful and time consuming agency to work for. High case loads (with the additional high intensity cases), ridiculous and unnecessary long travel, late work hours (that leave you with no life or time to care for yourself - you will be working afterhours or on the weekends in some capacity), and poor management who doesn't look out for well being of staff until it's too late.

Think long and hard before considering working here . You will find yourself doing other people's work, you will be micromanaged, and you will do clinical work that you did not sign up for (they bring in programs and clients that staff is not prepared to work with).

The only good thing is the staff, but unfortunately they are worn down and will eventually leave.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Poor management, long hour work days, no boundaries between your work life and personal life
Official response from The Village Family Services
April 9, 2018

The Village Family Services is a DMH contracted children’s intensive service provider. We have full time therapists who commit to a 40 hour work week. We offer flexible scheduling to meet the client service hours with several seasoned managers in the office daily who have an open door policy to support our clinicians. Many of our clinicians and supervisors have been employed with our agency 3, 4, 5+ years. This fast paced service environment can be challenging for some and is not the right fit for everyone; however those who are well organized, efficient in documentation, self-starters familiar with DMH standards thrive in our agency and often move up in the various departments.

Toxic work environment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJanuary 29, 2018
Run
Don’t look back
This place will make you lose your mind
I left while I still had some sanity left
I completely agree with other reviewers here
The supervisors play favoritism and are very unprofessional
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Unfair supervisors
Great for interns
Intern (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CASeptember 19, 2017
Quality internship placement for social work student. I worked at the Transitional aged youth (tay) drop in center and worked on programming for life skills and LGBT attendees.
It's an okay place to work
IHBS- Mental Health Rehabilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAAugust 17, 2017
In my position as an IHBS, I was able to schedule my own appointments, attend team meetings, and had a lot of flexibility. I did not like how there was favoritism which was visible with supervisors and directors. There was no incentives or praise which I disliked since, I tend to make my job my life. I did not feel as I was valued the way I was suppose to. My team was amazing and worked hard and were united for the care of our clients. I would advise to train their staff because we are all thrown in to the job without knowing what to do.
Pros
Coworkers, all staff meetings
Cons
Limited growth, favoritism, low pay
Toxic work environment / no support from upper management/ mixed
Case manager (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 20, 2017
Never worked in such a toxic place where all the leaders are talking behind each other's back... no consistency, structure.... like the mad hatters tea party... everyone out for themselves, everyone terrified of being fired.... poor work culture....
Pros
The clients ate amazing
Cons
No support from staff
Awesome work place
Therapist (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAOctober 11, 2016
I've worked in a few nonprofits, and had to leave this agency because I wanted to return to school, but I believe they are fair and supportive. I had a pretty great relationship with my supervisor in the outpatient dept. If I had any feedback is that I wished I had my own therapy office and a reduced caseload, but I'm not sure how much control the agency has. I really like their manner by which they keep their staff informed of changes in the agency, such as dept. meetings, and all staff meetings. I've worked in places where the only form of comm. was simply email; no personal touch to it at all! I would def. recommend working!
Pros
Support, environment
Cons
had to share office space
Run while you still can
Outpatient Clinical Therapist (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJanuary 15, 2016
If I could, I would give this agency NO stars.

I knew this agency was horrible since before I even started. First, I was warned by my previous supervisor at my previous agency about the Village and their horrible reputation, I did not listen. I get to the reception area, before I am even officially an employee to pick up my HR docs. The entire reception team was stuck up, on their cell phones, and very unprofessional. I still did not listen to my gut.

The Village is the most toxic environment you will ever encounter. Management & Mental Health Directors do not care about you and completely exploit their Clinicians. Management also loves to play favorites and if you are not one of them, you'll be sure to know it. This place will make you so emotionally and physically sick that you will forget what it's like to feel normal and well.

When I first started there was an extremely high staff turnover rate, which were huge red flags. The morale is so low and they treat you like trash. In one year, you earn 2 hours of vacation per paycheck. RIDICULOUS! You are expected to carry a caseload of 25 clients and about 95 percent of your cases are intensive cases. The pay is horrible and their benefits are average.

Unless you want to develop severe anxiety and be exposed to a toxic environment - RUN!!!!
See below
Quality Assurance Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 27, 2015
A great place to work. Great team work with co-workers. Hardest part of the job when the outcome is not the best one. Most enjoyable part the job seeing the smiles on clients faces.
Terrible work culture
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 4, 2015
Was hired here and left within 6 months. The work culture here was terrible, people backstabbing one another, as a previous reviewer here wrote, they will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat. The staff was more disturbed than the clients, at times.

No breaks, and more paperwork as the months went on, it appeared to me that therapists come and go here, as was the case for myself.
The CEO was paid an insane amount while us peons, the ones in the trenches with the clients, were paid poorly. Morale was terrible, and therapists looked depressed, and dreaded coming to work. That is not a positive work environment. You have your "but kissers" who are the favored ones, this whole agency was so toxic that I had to resign to save my sanity.

Let the therapist beware before you take on a position here, you will see the "light of day" in about a month or two, trust me.
Pros
I liked working with the children and their caregivers.
Cons
Everything it seems, but worst were the HR people who played folks against one another. Egregious!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Village Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6