THE VILLAGE FOR FAMILIES & CHILDREN Employee Reviews

Worth the Experience
Staff (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 13, 2019
During my time at the Village I had the ability to work at multiple programs and what I learned was while the programs were running smoothly culture was positive and supportive. During these times Staff were able to grow and learn while being able to do rewarding work. However, when things became chaotic Staff would struggle to find their footing. Staff were expected to stay late and work overtime and Supervisors were expected to be in the Milieu and do their jobs at the same time to help with a struggling schedule. Culture needs improving by supporting Staff and focusing on their growth. Overall, my experience was extremely positive, it helped me grown and expand the way I thought and interacted with Clients for the best. It was also very rewarding to see the Clients progress and be successful. Upper Management could do a little better taking care of themselves and middle Management. For me, the hardest part of the job was dealing with negative and toxic attitudes. While this job was expected very stressful the Village did what they could to help create a positive and supportive environment consistently and more during times of chaos.
Pros
Training's and Events
Cons
Missed breaks and culture
Jail
CDS (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 4, 2019
Working here is like being in a prison. No phones, Ipads, or laptops any electronics of any kind. Just sit there board out of your mind waiting for restraint and behavior drama too happen.. then you have to pursue AWOL youth and do restraints holds for 8 hours a day. You get tired, sweaty, and worn down. Don’t expect any lunch breaks or even time to use the bathrooom. There won’t be any. And if you call for assistance because it's unsafe situation escalating, you get heavily frowned upon. Then you will see your rating on your yearly evaluation plummet for “not being able to problem solve effectively.” (As your basically dumped in a room all by yourself for 6, 7 hours a day unsafely out of ratio with 9 unruly kids fighting each othe,r, breaking property, going AWOL.) It doesn’t surprise me The Village has a very high turnover rate. What can you expect? They burn staff out with their prison-like policies which don’t work. And they create too many rules which basically binds staff’s hands and keeps them tied from being able to maintain control over the milieu. The administration here is a total joke. The job was an even bigger one.
Pros
clocking out, eventually quitting
Cons
everything else, especially the higher up admin people
A very dangerous job.
Employee (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 3, 2019
I would not recommend this non-profit. They have it’s favorites of who receives special treatment. A lot of the policies are applied inconsistent. Some must follow these while others do not. It depends on your relationship with your manager. There is also poor refverral screening. I got seriously hurt while working here. Yet nothing was done. They still kept those dangerous kids in the program who continued assaulting others. I felt this decision was because discharging them would have meant lost revenue. Safety of personnel is clearly secondary to revenue from referrals.. at least for this non-profit. There were no legal ramifications for these assaults. We were forbidden from calling 911 if even if our safety was in jeopardy. I felt like the administrators at the top level didn’t truly care. I never saw any of them around when all this crazy stuff was happening. The pay isn’t that good either. I was earning only a couple dollars more per hour at this job then when I was working retail. But this job exposed me to greater physical harm and risk of my personal safety for a salary not worth the risk. I did not feel likes the program was every effective either. I saw the same kids repeating the program two, three, sometimes a 4th time and still no progress or improvement. It felk more like a shelter environment – just housing and feeding these kids rather then they actually learn something useful. Sometimes there were fun staff events. But the work was still very draining. I would not recommend this employer.
Pros
There were some fun events.
Cons
The job was very dangerous.
Productive and supportive place to work
Volunteer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 27, 2019
It was a pleasure volunteering for the Village for Children and Families. I learned to appropriately work with youth experiencing difficult circumstances using motivational interviewing techniques and assessments. The environment was a safe and comfortable place to meet with the youth and build strong relationships. I enjoyed helping the youth reassess their futures and build upon their strengths. It was a challenging experience but definitely rewarding.
Hot Mess
Per Diem (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTMarch 17, 2019
I strongly dislike this job. The programs I fill in are very disorganized with very little structure. Management is blind to the issues and problems in front of them. I've seen kids attack staff and then get to go on field trips and special activities. No punitive measures for these disturbing problem behaviors. Management babies and caters too much to their programs without enforcing accountability. I also agree with some of the other stuff written here on this site. It's gotten really awful here in just the past year alone. Priorities are backwards and micromanaging is a very common reality. Management scrutinizes sentence structure in an email before they put their focus where it really needs to be: safety. The managers of the village have their priorities totally backward. Staff are treated like babies and scrutinized to the Nth degree while the larger issues are ignored. I would strongly dissuade people from considering this organization to work. The management needs to get their act together. Right now they are a hot mess: title of my review to emphasize the point.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
micromanaging and grown staff are treated like babies
Big Brother is watching you...
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 7, 2019
They treat staff like they are students being scolded in grade school. Lots of unnecessary micro management, and thousands of petty little rules which are absurd and ridiculous and truly. I cannot figure out why half these rules are in place. For example you cannot have your phone on you for any reason or you get written up. It doesn’t matter if it’s a family emergency. You will still get written up for having your phone on you or using it in the milieu. Totally ridiculous for the 21st century where everybody has cell phones. It’s a part of daily life but you still get in trouble here. They spy on staff with the cameras system to see if you they can catch you doing something wrong, then run right to HR with their so called “evidence” to use to get you into trouble. And then they claim the cameras are to protect staff from allegations from clients which is a total lie. The cameras are there to basically intimidate staff into following pointless rules just because they want you to conform to their rigid corporate hierarchy. Many of the rules have no purpose and exist just for the sake of existing but without any rationale or logic behind them. No room for individuality or to express your individual beliefs, opinions and identity. “Yes Ma’am and yes, Sir” corporate culture mentality or you can basically kiss your job goodbye. Higher ups are easily threatened and intimidated by their subordinates, HR is even worse and will automatically take the higher ups sides even if they know they are wrong in the first place. HR are basically paid lackeys and servants who serve exclusively  more... management and do whatever they say even if it’s unethical or unfair. This job was so bad I would not ever refer anyone, even my worst mortal enemy here for employment… even if they were desperate for a pay check!  less
Pros
You get free food when working.
Cons
Cameras spy on staff to get them in trouble and all the pointless rules
Not a job I would recommend.
Employee (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 25, 2019
They must put more value to staff safety. Injuries are common especially during restraints. Also it seems really weird the way they have everything set up. The kids seem to be the ones controlling the programs and running staff. I don’t really know why they allow the kids to have all the control here. They do not adequately support the direct care staff. That makes it very difficult for us as staff to do our jobs. The management here especially upper management seems kind of clueless on what they are doing. This job is a big disappointment for me. I am actively searching for a new one.
Cons
they do not adequately support direct care staff and the programs are not well managed
The agency has room to improve
Direct Care Specialist II (Lead Staff) (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 30, 2018
The agency needs to improve how they appreciate and treat their employees. The hardest part of the job has been the lack of support from management and the rate of staff turnover.
Pros
Staff support each other and become like family
Cons
Upper management is not supportive to staff
Good start if looking for paid clinical hours or experience in the field of human services
Case Management Supervisor/Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 28, 2018
When I started with the agency the culture was very diverse with a team that reflected the population that we serviced. The management and staff felt comfortable to voice their opinions. I've heard do to changes in management, the environment has changed dramatically and they have a very high turnover rate. There are no raises and if so it is a few cents. Since it is a non-profit agency you are subject for termination depending on the working relationship you have with your manager or director.
Pros
Child service experience and paid internship
wasn't good
Child Development Worker (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTNovember 8, 2018
they let the kids beat up staff and destroy property, nothing done about this and upper management do not care one bit - they stay locked away in their ivory tower offices while there own staff is verbally and physically abused.. don't work here at The Village you will regret it, was the worse mistake of my whole career
Pros
paycheck
Cons
upper management don't care about you or your safety, they say they do but they really don't
It takes a special person to work at The Village
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 24, 2018
Excellent employer, very difficult but rewarding jobs all focused on improving the trajectory of the lives of children and families. Multiple programs on campus, much opportunity to grow and develop.
Pros
emotionally rewarding
Cons
emotionally draining
getting to be too much like big business
Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTJune 21, 2018
stressful work environment for little pay and mediocre benefits, typical day at the village: clock in, babysit and supervise disrespectful and disobedient children for 8 hours, do restraints, chase kids around campus when they go AWOL, deal with tons of behavior problems; upper management isn't very helpful, as long as it isn't them getting physically assaulted or verbally abused or having their own property destroyed by aggressive and violent clients in their programs, they really don't seem to care too much when this stuff happens to their staff; the organization has become way too corporate and too much like big business; there isn't a lot of appreciation or gratitude for hard work doing a thankless job; sometimes there are different training opportunities but other than that staff don't have too many resources for dealing with problematic and aggressive behaviors; unfortunately most of the upper management here at The Village tends to stay shut away in their offices or in purposeless meetings and don't spend enough time out in the milieu to understand what is really going on in their own programs
Pros
health insurance, free parking, hourly rate a little better than other organizations
Cons
management is very hands off and doesn't help, they tend to disappear a lot and are never around

Comment – August 5, 2018

Nothing ever really changes here at The Village. Both management and H.R. just give constant lip service but none of the suggestions or ideas given by staff are ever actually implemented. Some of the administrators also become very vindictive when you are vocal or advocate for yourself.

Great organization to learn and grow!
LCSW (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 27, 2018
I love working at The Village- client work is fulfilling, co-workers are fun and help with stressful days and managers are supportive. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Although the work can be taxing that is just a reality of this field. Managers consistently encourage self-care and work-life balance. Quality, trauma-informed services are always at the forefront at The Village.
Pros
Supportive agency, great culture, fun all-staff events
Great place to work that makes a difference in people's lives.
Psychiatry (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 16, 2018
I have been very lucky to have had job at The Village for 6 years. During that time I have seen the company grow and continue to expand it's mission in helping those within the Hartford community. The staff are extremely hard-working and dedicated to their clients. There is a focus on safety and quality improvement that drives outcomes. I would recommend working here for exposure to community mental health in a supportive environment that values work-life balance.
Great Place!
Clinician (Current Employee) –  HartdfordApril 3, 2018
This is truly a good agency to work at. While challenging at time, the work is fulfilling. Management does care about employees. Incentives and merit increases are paid each year and there are lots of interesting and fun activities to be a part of. Don't be fooled by the negative reviews, speak to a real current employee and hear what they say.
Pros
Flexible, excellent clinical models
Cons
Home based work can be challenging
Professional, quality-oriented, mission-driven organization
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 3, 2018
The Village is a well-established, growing organization and a great place to work. I have opportunities to learn and grow. I am impressed and challenged - in a good way - by the organization's efforts to stay at the leading edge of developments in its fields of service.
Manager (Current Employee) –  The villageApril 3, 2018
A great agency to work. Professional you can grow and give back to the community. A extremely positive work environment . The agency is Committed to training staff and providing innovative therapy models.
Pros
Training and support
Great place to work and learn
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 3, 2018
I came to the Village after working for similar non-profits. I found the onboarding process quite smooth. There were a number of inline trainings that were cumbersome but manageable. As with any new job the early months can be challenging as you learn the culture and style of work. I felt the Village provided me ample time to get up to speed and the management was very patient with me as i learned the ropes. The agency culture was welcoming and open to ideas and suggestions. I find working at The Village very affirming and supportive. I have recommended the Village to some of my friends and former colleagues to work here. Some have and find the place equally supportive and engaging. The work can be taxing and stressful at times but all jobs will have that at times. I have access to many different trainings as well.
Pros
Many trainings, decent pay and benefits, supportive management, open and supportive of diversity in all it's forms.
Cons
limited use of technology, data management system isn't user friendly.
Grateful for The Village!
N/A (Current Employee) –  1680 Albany aveMarch 28, 2018
I have been with The Village for many years and have never once regretted my decision to join this team. Management cares about their employees and gives staff members opportunities to voice their opinions. They are always looking for ways to help improve the overall well being of their staff members and frequently hold functions to appreciate staff or incorporate tokens of appreciation in the programs. Management is accommodating to the personal lives of the employees as well. The 1680 campus is a visually beautiful place to work and I love the mix of buildings and nature on the campus. I am happy to come to work each day and adding positivity to the daily lives of children who have been through so much is incredibly fulfilling.
Cons
The population of children and families can be taxing to work with
Ineffective Policies
Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 2, 2018
The policies and procedures are way too strict here. The policies and procedures are not employee friendly. All the policies and procedures make it too easy for the clients to take advantage of. However the policies and procedures are too strict. There are way too many to follow. I don't feel like the management in this agency has a very firm grasp on reality. Most of their policies are very ineffective. There is also a lot of favoritism.
Pros
medical and dental, paid time off, training
Cons
favoritism, ineffective policies, some of the management isn't fair