The Villages Daily Sun Employee Reviews

Super busy little pay.
Inserter (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLAugust 17, 2019
The job is always busy and pays very little. Management is terrible and hypocrites they will also lie to you. It was always filled drama and unfavorable characters.
No comment
Carrier (Current Employee) –  The Villages, FLSeptember 30, 2018
Daily commitment. must be willing to work everyday. District managers are tough but fair. Must be willing to sit at production plant for hours incase press goes down.
A good place to work, Usually
Staff (Current Employee) –  The Villages, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Its a decent place to work. its a family owned business, and it is ran accordingly. its usually a stress free environment, but it has its days. one hand does not always wash the other, usually its trying to cut it off to get ahead. But you find ways to work around it.
Pros
they are pretty laid back
Cons
lack of concern for the next department in line
Amazing place for entry level experience
Reporter (Current Employee) –  The Villages, FLJune 2, 2016
The Villages Daily Sun gave me more experience than I was ever prepared for. With the Sun I wrote front page stories, worked on large investigative reports, hosted the nightly news show, and even got my own daily radio spot. All of which was achieved from an entry level position. My career has taken a sky-rocket-like start because of The Daily Sun.
Pros
surrounded by people with a wealth of experience
Great place to work at, very friendly staff that are eager to help.
Prepress Technician (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be to sign in, get situated, then proceed with daily duties. I learned many tips and tricks from experienced designers and artists. I enjoyed being around the staff and had no complaints about anyone. Overall the job didn't seem too difficult, probably because I enjoyed doing everything required.
Good Opportunity for Growth
Features Reporter (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLNovember 9, 2015
I enjoyed working at the Daily Sun. Some of the hardcore journalists didn't seem to enjoy it as much. However, there were plenty of opporutunities to move up.
Pros
Great work-life balance, relaxed dress code, fun team.
Cons
Didn't receive raises
Productive, good security and advancement for those who want to
inserter (Current Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLJuly 20, 2014
i like working here but i would like to make a little more money
A rare newspaper with growing readership stifled by owner
Universal desk editor (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLMarch 29, 2014
This company offered raises, promotions and the latest in technology thanks to its readers -- you're serving a giant retirement community and they still read newspapers.
Ultimately, however, it wasn't a newspaper at all in the truest sense. The developer of the retirement community also owned the newspaper, so we couldn't report on drought conditions, the toll the community was taking on the water table, the rampant spreading of STDs, and a number of other things. It was like Pleasantville.
Also the management had little to no experience as journalists and played favorites with staff.
Welcoming staff
Reporter (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLAugust 23, 2012
The staff and fellow media employees at The Daily Sun were welcoming and did as much as they could to educate and involve new employees into the fold.
A typical day started between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. beginning with a meeting of all the reporters and two managing editors to discuss what was expected, needed and being achieved for the day. The rest of the day was left up to the reporters to fill out photo shoots and conduct interviews and meet deadlines for stories.
I learned a great deal from fellow reporters about the basic flow and production of a newspaper story. It was the reporters and photo crew that showed me the ropes when I first arrived.
During employment, the management was negative, harsh toward staff and uninvolved in the reporters.
The hardest part of the job was maintaining clear communication between staff and management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning from reporters, photographers and videographers. Being involved in sharing important happenings, events and stories for others to learn from or enjoy was also a great reward.