The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Great place to work and learn about supplements
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 13, 2018
I was thrilled to go to work every day. I loved my coworkers and the majority of the customers were decent human beings with a lot of knowledge. I really have nothing bad to say about them. When I was going through a death in my family my coworkers were there for me and gave me time to deal with it. I can't speak about everyone that works there but the people I met were great.
Pros
Flexibility with work, school, and other works.
Cons
None really.
Relaxed and fun environment
Sales Associate / Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2018
A typical day is completing all the tasks of the day while helping customers find what they need. The work place is very relaxed but gets super busy at times. Get to know new people.
Pros
Discount
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Mesa, CANovember 9, 2018
If you are passionate about health and fitness then this job is very fun and fulfilling. Typical retail job nonetheless, but with that comes great satisfaction from helping customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Not much of a career
Company on the decline
Associate (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 8, 2018
The fact is that less and less people are coming into the stores with online shopping being the go-to for customers. With less people coming into the store, the company is stressing trying to get everyone to sell more to the people who are still coming into the stores, while trying to get people to sign up for the auto-shipping. Really feel like the company is trying to go completely online and cut the retail locations altogether.
Pros
Relaxed environment, friendly customers
Cons
No advancement, company on the decline
Vitamin shoppe in a single shot
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 7, 2018
A single day at work would be helping customers with purchases, educating customers about the right kind of supplements they may need in achieving wellness goals. The Vitamin shoppe also had training and education courses to help health enthusiast learn about the myriad of supplements that the company offered to the customers so that they could better educate the customer. I think that the single most difficult part of the job was keeping up on all the most recent articles and scientific studies written about most of the supplements about how, when, where to use them. Though the most enjoyable part of the job was sharing an interest in health products with other people.
Pros
The occasional free supplements
Cons
The management
Fun place
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 6, 2018
It was a fun place to work the employees were all very nice and I am really interested in Health and Fitness so i enjoyed working there. I left due to making a movie.
Fun place
Key Holder/Manager (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CANovember 2, 2018
Didn’t know that much coming about vitamins or supplements coming into the job, but after the training courses you take in store and all the questions your faves with from customers, you learn a lot in a very short amount of time.
Nice place to work as some one first picking up a job
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXNovember 1, 2018
This place was amazing to work in. The work is like any other honest hard working job retail job. There isn’t any big push on selling as it is not commission based but customer care driven. It was a great joy working in this culture.
Pros
Culture, knowledge, stress free
Cons
Short breaks, fixed hours
You can find a better place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 31, 2018
If you don't mind a lack of communication from all levels, lack of advancement, sales pitching your way out of a job, not receiving a salary increase, a revolving door of how the company should be ran (from store managers to CEO), regular malfunctions of the computer systems, non-consistent schedules, pressurized fund raising, not being able to be a key holder or manager, and going back to school because you must remain open with your schedule. This could be good fit for you. The lack of managerial talent in this company is comical. You may get opportunity to advance, only if your manager wants you to, and is willing to train you. Be prepared to stick in your position for 3+ years. Pay raises have been taken away, and the CEO has dodged the question of them returning. The company does not invest in their employees, and pushes auto delivery a disgusting amount. Also, be prepared to have an interview that goes extremely well to only be told you are a "bench candidate." You have to be willing to relocate to get any type of promotion. Managers will be completely stressed when the higher ups come around for lack preparation and job purposes.
Pros
You get a discount on products.
Cons
You name it
pushing own business
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 29, 2018
Very corporatized, no opportunity for actual learning. Reps not motivated to service. Limited upward capability. Most people are just employees there.
It isnt worth it
Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 28, 2018
Do not work for this company they are not worth your time. For starters they do not pay well snd expect you to deal with many complicated task. You have to learn about all these products with a minimum wage salary. Customers act like your doctor's so if you do not know something they then they treat you poorly.
Fun environment
Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 25, 2018
I loved my co-workers. I do feel we were overworked for the amount we got paid. The hours were fine and there is definitely opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
low pay
questionable middle management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 25, 2018
The company needs to start questioning why turnover is high in some markets, and it could be middle management having unrealistic goals for their stores
Pros
Good employee discounts, flexible schedule, training
Cons
unrealistic sales goals, middle management doesn't know what going on.
Eh
Live Chat Representative (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJOctober 24, 2018
Good job for a college student. Pay was very low, you cant support yourself on this income alone. Repetative and boring work. Staring at a screen all day and never moving.
The Vitamin Shoppe provides help to customers on a health journey. The best feature are our customers.
Manager/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 23, 2018
A typical day if opening. Open registers. Audit the books from the previous day. Open the store greet every customer. Listening to their needs and asking questions in order to best serve their health needs.

I had the opportunity to learn in interactive courses about health. With coworkers we talked about the latest health studies and research. There were free health magazines we could take home to read.

Our new manager just started yesterday to help us close down our store location. I had the chance to get to know her. Very personable and a good leader.

Workplace culture I found enjoyable. As a team we helped customers with their health while increasing sales...win-win!

The hardest part when i was schedule to close the store then turn around and work an open to close shift.

The most enjoyable part is dealing with the customers. The daily feedback was amazing.
Pros
Helping people with their health, access to any information needed regarding product or information for particular health conditions.
Cons
The Store Manager I had for 2 plus years really tried to accommodate our schedules, with newer management that changed.
Fun to work and learn
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 23, 2018
I highly recommend for any college students to work at The Vitamin Shoppe, it is very convenient and they will definitely work with your school schedule.
Cons
Health benefits
good experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTOctober 22, 2018
gained product knowledge. fairly treated by upper management at all times hours were difficult and often had to stay over into another shift.large employee changeover.
Pros
knowledge and discount
warehouse
order picker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAOctober 21, 2018
There are several departments to be able to work in at Vitamin Shoppe. I have worked in all departments and have supervised 2 departments and have helped other supervisors in other departments. I have also trained new managers. The best shift I worked was second shift.
call center
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 20, 2018
I like that I work from home. Working with the customer that call in and help them work out there problems and make them happy.
The mangers was great if you have a question you and always get a answer quickly.
Pros
Did not have to leave home
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAOctober 19, 2018
Typical day includes fulfilling customer wellness needs, cash management, daily accounting, inventory controls, store sanitation, staffing, store merchandising.
Have learned a great deal more about health and wellness here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight