The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
typical retail environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 16, 2018
This was a typical retail environment. Unfortunately I had a manager that was not interested in teaching me how to do her job. She was more concerned with running things the way she wanted to. This left me with a sour taste in my mouth but not all managers are created equally
Wonderful place to work in
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  North Bergen, NJSeptember 11, 2018
The core values for the company drives the company in always continuing to work on making positive changes for the customers as well as for the employees.
The Vitamin was a promising company to work for in the beginning but fell short quickly.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, CTSeptember 9, 2018
The Vitamin Shoppe is a fine establishment to work for. In the year that I worked there I learned a great deal knowledge. At the same time the company's goals are a little blown out of proportion. I tried extremely hard to met those goals but due to customer traffic fell short sometimes. The outcome of this wasn't handled properly and I would feel as if I was viewed as in a incompetent worker, how ever that was never the case. Not only did I feel this, but several co workers as well. Regardless we all still tried or best and continued to engage every customer. Management wasn't the best either, we all felt very over whelmed at time and couldn't find a solution with management. But we made due with what we had and had a fun time together as small group and I consider my ex co workers as my friends. The two hardest parts about that job was trying to please management and still keep a friendly basis with customers and not constantly over sell them. We pride ourselves on repeat customer interactions. The most enjoyable part, hands down was the customers. Through them I learned a great deal of knowledge and got to know a lot of good people. People who all shared a passion of fitness and health.
Pros
Multiple breaks.
Cons
0 overtime. Not enough workers.
Ccsr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 8, 2018
GREAT DETAILED CUSTOMER SERVICES , excellent benefits and understanding with manager and co worker, plenty of overtime , family orientated company , cross training
review
merchandising (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 8, 2018
good place to work friendly staff lots of opportunity to grow and branch out challenges you in a lot of ways as far as good managers you will never find better .
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
getting time off is hard
Great culture management is always creating fun activities
Wearhouse lead (Current Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 8, 2018
Everyday is a great day all management will go out of there way to say Goodmorning, work environment is clean and low noise. Overall great place to work
Pros
Free energy drinks gift bags every other week
Educational
Assistant-Manager (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHSeptember 7, 2018
Lots of stocking and moving products around
sales were never high enough
constantly bringing in new brands
lots of management conference calls
paid vacation
Pros
half of vs brands/benefits for full time
Cons
short breaks, poor management, long hours on your feet
Downhill
While a key holder (Current Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 6, 2018
Was a really nice place to work. It's become very gimmicky in the past two years. Jumping on any fad that pops up, however briefly. Major policy changes are occurring every week.

"Let's do this, wait.... no. Bad idea.
We'll do this instead... also bad idea. Never mind.
How about this? Also bad. Let's keep it, but neuter the entire program so that it isn't even that good, but try and make it sound good."

I feel like this happens more than it should
Pros
Discounts
Don’t bother
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 6, 2018
It was fine in the beginning. The manager and staff seemed kind and knowledgeable, but it changed after about 4 months. The manager stopped trying to do any work and complained constantly, even in front of customers. Others working there did as little as possible and left everything to fall on whoever else was working.
The company continued ya downfall and began threatening jobs for not getting enough customers to sign up for the Auto delivery. If the customers would not do it, the employees had to. As a neighborhood store, you can see where this was a problem.
The chances to move up are few and far between, the company always choosing outside hires over those within who already had the skills and knowledge.
Pros
Half hour lunch, discounts, free samples
Cons
Poor management, no opportunity to move up, pressure from above
Very goos factory job not too labor intesive
Housekeeping/ Maintenance (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJSeptember 4, 2018
Good job I liked it but manager couldnt find consistent worker to keep the job for more then 2 months at a time so sometimes I would have to stay doubles cause people would no cal no show all the time
Pros
Easy job good pay good hours
Cons
Doing doubles because of a no call no show

Want to know more about The Vitamin Shoppe?

Ask a question
Managment was very stressfull
Picker/ Lead/shipping/ Putaway (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VASeptember 2, 2018
I do not chose to bash anyone on this review. I left the company due to not being able to move up within the company and the management put slot on the shoulders of the leads/supervisors.
Great people work at the company
Director (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 28, 2018
Great people work for the Vitamin Shoppe overall. Enjoyed collaborating towards project completion. Company had a very supportive culture for it's people but that has changed over the past six months due to leadership changes.
Pros
Great people work there. Overall work is valued. Fast paced but opportunities to make a difference.
Cons
Changing culture away from people first. Long term outlook unsure. Health plan lacking.
There are real pro's and con's to working at Vitamin Shoppe.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 23, 2018
A day at Vitamin Shoppe is almost never the same. Ones ability to help a ton of people in different ways hit their health and fitness goals are amazing. The management is tight knit and very cool. Their opportunities to advance bunch up from the ASM spot. ASM's are stuck in that role for some time because most Store Managers keep their job for years without leaving.
Pros
I love the culture and the expectation of excellence, They provide a ton of training and on the job learning that you get paid for, The employee discount of 20% on every brand and 40% on private label brands is a HUGE bonus, Their benefits are amazing an the environment you work in is awesome
Cons
They don't pay well at all, They expect you to do too much for too little and lose a ton of top notch talent like that
Fun and energetic place to work
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Sanford, NCAugust 21, 2018
One of the best places I've worked. Everyone is fun and innovative and they truly enjoy helping others reach their health and fitness goals through their knowledge.
fast pace and stressful work enviroment
Key Holder - Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 21, 2018
You must understand most of the supplements in the store and know how to interact with your customers. Most of the training you receive is from the VS University, one tip I can give anyone working in that environment is to ask the customer what are they using the product for even if you have an idea, and how long they have been using it for, and who suggested to them to use that product. If you see a customer in the store don't do your tasking just help them and while they are looking and your preparing to ring them out start blocking and facing the store. The first thing they see is your store front so it must be exceptional to look at the moment they walk in. The enviroment is very stressful your job mainly consists of helping the customer understand policy changes and fixing any and all issues the customer has.
Pros
30min Lunches, Paid off time, and persenal time
Cons
Work load, No overtime, Hours
Good for Part-time
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2018
Vitamin Shoppe is a good place to work, interact with customers, helping them change their lifestyles for the better. However, it has a high turnover rate and new people come on board within management.
Pros
Discounts, Good Leaders
Cons
Low Pay, Short Break, unconsistent schedules
Not a great company to work for
Corporate worker (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 18, 2018
Be prepared for rudeness, favoritism, to stay in the same role. No advancement or training. Management only cares about the money for company not about the employees.
The benefits also suck.
Great place to grow as a person and worker.
Sales Associate/Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  North Bergen, NJ 07047August 17, 2018
The staff becomes your family. There is growth within the company inside and outside. The company takes care of you when it comes to your personal needs.
Pros
Discounts, education on products, selling.
Cons
Very low pay, not enough hours, too many tasks to complete in a day.
No Job advancement
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHAugust 16, 2018
They paid their employees nothing and had no job advancement. The company was poorly ran and took their faults out on the workers. The company only cares about the profits not the employees.
I enjoyed working in this environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 16, 2018
I enjoyed working in this environment. I enjoyed the regular customers as well as new ones. I got to know the customers and often I would know what they were searching for. I would like another position comparable to this one.
Pros
Flexible schedule and close to home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight