The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Helping customer live their best lives
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 11, 2018
training and development of the teams is important.
Working with the customers on their health and wellness journey
This company has continued to grow while others were closing.. The retail environment has evolved and this has caused the job to change drastically. Need to continue to put customer journey to help grow loyalty. . The pressure of metrics vs Helping others to include the SM teams. Supporting the field needs to be the most important.
Pros
helping others
Cons
support
Not the best but better than most
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 3, 2018
If you like and live fitness and health this can be a good place to work. However as a manager the hardest part is the staffing; it's a challenge to keep people especially good people. Being a salaried manager means that when someone calls out (like a one MOD shift Sunday) you have to drop everything you're doing to go and cover if nobody else (ie, "hourly employees") aren't willing to grab the hours. As a parent with young children this can be difficult. Most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions you get to have with customers that you get to know and like. They come to you for advice and knowledge and you build good relationships because of that. Can be very hard to maintain a good work/life balance.
warehouse associate
Warehouse Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJDecember 12, 2018
Picked vitamins off the shelves and packed them in totes to be shipped off to chain stores. Managed to learn to use the RF Scanner gun. Management was tolerable. Vitamin Shoppe was an equal opportunity employer. Getting the ladder to get vitamins on the top parts of the shelf and moving heavy totes from vehicles to transfer it to the conveyor belt was a little challenging. Sharing and getting along with co-workers.
Great place to work and learn about supplements
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 13, 2018
I was thrilled to go to work every day. I loved my coworkers and the majority of the customers were decent human beings with a lot of knowledge. I really have nothing bad to say about them. When I was going through a death in my family my coworkers were there for me and gave me time to deal with it. I can't speak about everyone that works there but the people I met were great.
Pros
Flexibility with work, school, and other works.
Cons
None really.
Company on the decline
Associate (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 8, 2018
The fact is that less and less people are coming into the stores with online shopping being the go-to for customers. With less people coming into the store, the company is stressing trying to get everyone to sell more to the people who are still coming into the stores, while trying to get people to sign up for the auto-shipping. Really feel like the company is trying to go completely online and cut the retail locations altogether.
Pros
Relaxed environment, friendly customers
Cons
No advancement, company on the decline
Vitamin shoppe in a single shot
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 7, 2018
A single day at work would be helping customers with purchases, educating customers about the right kind of supplements they may need in achieving wellness goals. The Vitamin shoppe also had training and education courses to help health enthusiast learn about the myriad of supplements that the company offered to the customers so that they could better educate the customer. I think that the single most difficult part of the job was keeping up on all the most recent articles and scientific studies written about most of the supplements about how, when, where to use them. Though the most enjoyable part of the job was sharing an interest in health products with other people.
Pros
The occasional free supplements
Cons
The management
Great experience for growth and experience however...
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2018
Constant changes in leadership and new initiatives have most employees overworked and overlooked. 2018 saw no pay increases even with tenured staff. Tech was very outdated. My district manager was exceptional- a mentor and a true leader. Great specialty retailer if you have a vested interest in wellness/nutrition and supplements combined with previous sales experience, however there seemed to be a disconnect between the home office and store fronts.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible scheduling, Pto, opportunities to network
Cons
No pay increase, increased workload, poor planning for new marketing initiatives
From a long time employee!
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXOctober 10, 2018
The Vitamin Shoppe has had such an impact on my life. A lot of the impact came from my coworkers who I now consider family. As a unit, we've grown in our store and in the company. Working at The Vitamin Shoppe has been enjoyable. Working for this company has opened up many opportunities for me to gain knowledge closely related to my degree field that isn't detailed in my university studies.
Pros
Knowledge, Interpersonal Skill development
Easy Part-time Job
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 5, 2018
-Putting away shipment/back stock
-VSU online education program V Shoppe provides in order to learn more about store products
-Ringing customers up
-Helping customers find suitable products
-Closing duties (restocking, cleaning, counting till, etc.)
-Informing customers about auto ship/sparks delivery program
-Only a staff of around 5-7 people
Pros
-Great Co-workers, supervisors, and customers. Easy job.
Cons
Short breaks (30 min), minimum wage, no benefits, and work clothes not provided.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas txOctober 5, 2018
I was a Store Manager. This company has a great reputation of low inventory, hiring outside the company when there are ASM in the waiting, horrible District level management and the changing policies weekly was greatly disliked.
It used to be great but when the ceo quit it went downhill after that and the writing is on the wall for it to be a retailer eaten up by amazon
Pros
Discount
Cons
No advancement, upper level movement work life balance
Not the same company anymore
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 18, 2018
I did enjoy working for the Vitamin Shoppe several years ago. I actually felt like I mattered then. Now you are just as indispensable as anyone. They do not seem to value their employees anymore. They say they don't "threaten" you to make sales, but they drive it into your head constantly and make you feel like at any moment, you are done. I understand they have a business to run and requirements to meet, but they are constantly changing policies and rules which makes it frustrating because you never know what is right and wrong anymore.
Pros
Vacation Time, Salary
Cons
Constantly changing policies
Cool first job for me could not complain
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 2, 2019
Very stress free work place. You engage in many conversations with customers who are regulars so everyday is a surprise. My manager at the time was the biggest sweetheart. The company's regional manager as well as he was the one who got me the job through a job fair I met him at while at BMCC
Great place to work, rewarding profession.
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHOctober 12, 2018
Busy atmosphere, great customer interaction, rewarding relationships, merit based learning, room for growth, great on the job training, excellent store staff and management team!
Pros
paid training/benefits/matched 401K/product discounts/invested learning rewards
Cons
Retail hours not M-F 9a -5p/ at times understaffed
Downhill
While a key holder (Current Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 6, 2018
Was a really nice place to work. It's become very gimmicky in the past two years. Jumping on any fad that pops up, however briefly. Major policy changes are occurring every week.

"Let's do this, wait.... no. Bad idea.
We'll do this instead... also bad idea. Never mind.
How about this? Also bad. Let's keep it, but neuter the entire program so that it isn't even that good, but try and make it sound good."

I feel like this happens more than it should
Pros
Discounts
It isnt worth it
Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 28, 2018
Do not work for this company they are not worth your time. For starters they do not pay well snd expect you to deal with many complicated task. You have to learn about all these products with a minimum wage salary. Customers act like your doctor's so if you do not know something they then they treat you poorly.
Cons
Nice place to work as some one first picking up a job
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXNovember 1, 2018
This place was amazing to work in. The work is like any other honest hard working job retail job. There isn’t any big push on selling as it is not commission based but customer care driven. It was a great joy working in this culture.
Pros
Culture, knowledge, stress free
Cons
Short breaks, fixed hours
Great people work at the company
Director (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 28, 2018
Great people work for the Vitamin Shoppe overall. Enjoyed collaborating towards project completion. Company had a very supportive culture for it's people but that has changed over the past six months due to leadership changes.
Pros
Great people work there. Overall work is valued. Fast paced but opportunities to make a difference.
Cons
Changing culture away from people first. Long term outlook unsure. Health plan lacking.
What i learned
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLOctober 3, 2018
I learned a lot about time management and managing others to get task done in a timely manner. I only had so much time for my shift to get certain task done that been provided to me from my boss but always made sure i got it done before i left. I also made sure i managed and maintained my work environment and my coworkers regardless of position.
Don’t bother
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 6, 2018
It was fine in the beginning. The manager and staff seemed kind and knowledgeable, but it changed after about 4 months. The manager stopped trying to do any work and complained constantly, even in front of customers. Others working there did as little as possible and left everything to fall on whoever else was working.
The company continued ya downfall and began threatening jobs for not getting enough customers to sign up for the Auto delivery. If the customers would not do it, the employees had to. As a neighborhood store, you can see where this was a problem.
The chances to move up are few and far between, the company always choosing outside hires over those within who already had the skills and knowledge.
Pros
Half hour lunch, discounts, free samples
Cons
Poor management, no opportunity to move up, pressure from above
Throw away the whole company and management
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VAAugust 16, 2018
I've been working at this job for almost a year and have tried to advance in the company multiple times, but was always given some poor excuse as to why I couldn't advance.You can go above and beyond and won't get any recognition for it. The rules and guidelines are terrible and are very unnecessary. The management there aren't fair to their workers, they show no sympathy or care for any of them EXCEPT the ones they favor. Only good part about the job is meeting new people from different places or countries, the pay, and the benefits. I have seen so many good people leave or be terminated for various reasons that were unfair.
Pros
Paid lunch, benefits, pay
Cons
short lunches and breaks, favoritism, poor management, rules, poor working conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight