The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

High turn over rate
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAJuly 20, 2018
This place has great online training and amazing customers. I worked there for 3 years as a Keyholder and the decision to leave was bittersweet. I never ran into problems with anyone I directly worked with, and very rarely with customers, however the higher ups in the company tend to take advantage of employees.

The turn over rate has always been very high in the store I worked at which has always been a struggle, but the store manager was pretty good about replacing them in a timely manor. When both the Store Manager and Assistant Manager left, the district manager did very little to help out as far as training and expected me to train the new assistant manager, even though I was a lower position.

I have heard great things about other stores in other districts. Honestly, it is a great place to work and it definitely has its positives, but if the management is poor, it strongly reflects in a lot of ways. The Store Manager was always great, unfortunately the DM was not understanding of school schedules.
Pros
great training, great customers, good pay
Cons
high turnover rate
Uneducated Managers...Just Followers
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLJuly 19, 2018
a lot of discrimination and lack of leadership.
not true leaders, just followers, if you really think outside the box this is not the job for you.

Most of the employees including the so called store managers lack of knowledge and sensitivity to deal with different backgrounds and personalities.

Extremely difficult to advance if they smell that you know more than the average Joe that works there as the District Managers, the really are uneducated people.
Pros
Cons
all
Fun Place
IT Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VAJuly 16, 2018
Great place to work and the location is to access. Environment is clean and organized. Would recommend anyone to work here. When it comes down to it The Vitamin Shoppe is great place to working at.
Friendly Co-Workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with, but the store closed and as it merged with Super Supplements. The customers were nice and the job was overall enjoyable.
Don't Do It
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 14, 2018
Heavily biased upper management that puts in minimum effort while expecting maximum effort from everyone else. All about numbers and auto delivery. Job will constantly be threatened over auto delivery and membership numbers when you can't force your customers to sign up for either one. Upper management will constantly remind you how replaceable you are. You are not a valued employee here.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Biased management, Double standards, Unrealistic workload, Job constantly threatened
Just don't
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino County, CAJuly 13, 2018
It was nice at first. There weren't crazy sales goals, no pushy sales tactics were encouraged... Then it started going downhill a few years ago as the company was trying to remain competitive. It's been easy to see that corporate and upper management have been grasping at straws in their efforts to keep the company afloat, and thereby making employees miserable.

Corporate would roll out new customer perks, only to change their mind after very unsurpisingly realizing it wasn't sustainable. All the meanwhile it's the store level employees who have to explain to disgruntled guests that these perks are no longer available.

The DM and RM have no clue how to lead or give constructive criticism. The company favors outside hires versus promoting from within. There will even be district emails welcoming so-and-so as a new store manager who comes from you-name-it company. Outside hires here and there, I get it -- but all the time?? What incentive does this give current employees?

At a store level, it's nice. I get along with my coworkers and have a supportive store manager.... But as a MOD this job is far too stressul for the non-competitive pay, AND the removal of annual pay increases. Sure, there's a lot of "typical" retail complaints -- too much to do and not enough time, stressful sales goals, cut payroll hours -- but when combined with indecisive, inconsistent, and incompetent upper management it's just not a fun place to work. You just feel beaten down, unappreciated, and can't feel good about a day's work.
Pros
Coworkers. Employee discount. Supplement knowledge.
Cons
Upper management. No annual raise. Inconsistency.
Decent wage, decent job environment.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2018
Good culture overall, receive recognition for good work and individual achievements. Employees follow direction loosly, there are many complaints amongst the staff regarding the work required of them. There was a few threatening employees, they used their favor with the manager to get employees disciplined, regardless of the employees innocence.
Pros
Product discounts, good health plan.
Cons
No accountability from management, compensation, not easily accessed
CERTIFIED EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZJuly 10, 2018
The hardest part of the job was trying to work around favoritism. It seems as if the Team Leads, Management, and the HR dept. was hiring a lot of their family members and it was hard to move around without stepping on someones toes. After awhile it became a really uncomfortable work place. Really sad, because it looks good from the outside but its a different story once you're hired.
Pros
pay
Cons
stressful
Have to work more hours than they orriginally tell you, without compensation.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicagoland Area, ILJuly 9, 2018
Told you will be working 45 hours, but rarely ends up less than 50 to 55, making salary considerably less. If they have someone else in mind for your store, ie dm's aquantances, they will start accusing you of nonsense stuff, ie spot on counter, escalate these things until you feel compelled to quit. Happens all the time, many, many veteran, quality store managers are forced out. Absolutely no support from upper management, never knowing when the hammer will drop. No job stability, take a look at the turn over. Chicagoland/Wisc. DM'S are the worst, but company as a whole is a sinking ship.
Pros
Opportunity to help customers
Cons
Uncompensated hours, no dm support, no family/work balance
Micromanaging
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 8, 2018
It used to be amazing and now has gone to panic and micromanaging mode. Have to work all but 1 weekend a month and have to beg for a sat. off.. Just not any work life balance.
Pros
$ is ok
Cons
Management is horrible
The Vitamin Shoppe was great workplace to interact with interesting people .
Manager / General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2018
The Vitamin Shoppe I worked in was Privately owned with 6 locations only .
When I became general manager I helped raise Them to 17 stores, all corner locations for high visibility.
Pros
Almost your own boss
Cons
Used to be such a great company but ever since the CEO was changed the company has no sensenof direction.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 4, 2018
I thought i would work for this company forever, but recent events with new CEO has really squeezed all management to add extra workload and metrics without any compensation. Room for growth has also been kept at a minimum ever since. Through my years one of the major issue i have experienced is that many hard working employees would be in track for a promotion but it would either be given external or they would make you feel like you have a chance to thenhave you waiting for years.
Pros
Discounts on suppements, flexible schedules
Vitamin Shoppe Culture
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2018
A position at the Vitamin Shoppe is not a difficult one. If you have prior retail experience in selling and cross-selling you would be a great fit. If you show commitment it is easy to receive promotions and climb the ladder from store associate to key-holder etc. The stores are small so the number of employees per store are usually about 5 to 6 employees. The hardest part of the job is the cross selling and the most enjoyable part is getting to build relationships with the customers. You get the same customers and are able to assist them to the fullest once you understand their likes and dislikes. The most enjoyable part of the job is finding the products that meet all the customers needs and they let you know how it worked for them.
Pros
Building relationships, health and dental insurance
Cons
Pay
Productive, and fun work environment
Sales Associate & Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  5946 E State St, Rockford, IL 61108June 27, 2018
My daily duties include sales through product knowledge, register functions, store cleanliness, and helping customers so that their needs and expectations are met or exceeded. I work with an amazing group of people that makes my time there by very fast.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
short breaks
Flexible Work Space
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
I worked at the Vitamin SHoppe for 3 years it was over all a good experience, I meet good people, and the job was flexible with other things I had going on.
After working for VS for 3 years...
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 26, 2018
After 3 years heres what I can state as facts. 1) THE MANAGER YOU HAVE WILL DICTATE YOUR HAPPINESS AT THIS JOB. 2) The company is changing to super competitive sales environment (much like GNC). 2) don't expect set hours ...I was starting most work weeks on a thursday and ending my week randomly sometime in the following week because of the inability of management to keep a team together. 3) this is not a career it is a temporary job don't try to make this a career you will cry yourself to sleep every night. Pros- you learn a lot about nutrition and can help people with supplements NOT prescription drugs.
Pros
knowledge of nutrition, help people similar to how a doctor does, bond with certain co-workers
Cons
push sales on people even if its not good for them, management is a mess, no consistent hours, they ask more of you but never pay more.
forget this place.
ASST. MANAGER (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJJune 23, 2018
The vitamin shoppe is trash. trash. I would never work there again for that petty wage. it's simply not worth the aggravation. Yeah, don't do it. Just don't.
Vitamin Shoppe
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJJune 21, 2018
Loved working their and it was extremely enjoyable. Loved the staff, atmosphere and everything else. Loved the products as well and working for the company.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJune 20, 2018
Had a great time at the Vitamin Shoppe, customers are nice management was awesome and the staff was cool to work with. The Vitamin Shoppe taught me a lot about a whole lot of supplements that I did not know of.
Upper management needs improvement
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJune 20, 2018
We had a small staff so everyone became family but upper management only focused on sales and numbers. We focused on the customer and their needs and wants.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight