The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews for Assistant Store Manager

Culture and environment is detrimental to success
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Menifee, CAJuly 14, 2019
The typical day is fast-paced with a multitude of tasks to do. We have heavy foot traffic and numerous e-mails to review. Learned a vast amount of supplement knowledge and sales numbers. Management is always changing. There is no continuity or stability. The workplace culture is detrimental to success. Sub par hires are the reason for and management. The numerous task given with a shortage of hours and employees is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part is making a customer smile or showing your appreciation.
Great place to learn about your well being
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 11, 2019
The Vitamin Shoppe is an awesome place to learn about health and wellness, that aside there's a lot of pushing for sales and making auto deliveries for customers which is fine but the lack of products in inventory make it impossible to promise a customer they will never run out of their favorite products.
Advancement is tricky, showing interest is nice but unless you have a very dedicated manager that is willing to push with you it might be a longer process than it needs to be.
The environment is nice for the most part, there's a lot of product knowledge that needs to be learned and you're always learning something new about products or just general health trends which keeps you on your toes and makes the job very fun.
The hardest part can sometimes be the customers, it's very important to know the how to speak with customers in order to fall within company guidelines which can be challenging because many customers will try and treat you like doctors or want you to guarantee product effectiveness.
It's definitely not a bad job but it could use some work as far as benefits and employee discounts.
Fun place to work and learn about health and fitness
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJune 23, 2019
Overall great company to work for. Great management and fun to learn about health and fitness with your co workers. Being able to convey that information to your customers creates a connection that makes the job that much more enjoyable.
Productive and high energy workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMay 28, 2019
A great company to work for even if you don’t have supplement knowledge. They take time in effective training in customer service and product knowledge to ensure that you are productive in giving the customer what they need.
Overall a really good experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLMay 20, 2019
Can’t give 5 stars because the job is still retail which means having to deal with lots of... customers who don’t care what you have to say, or have very little respect for retail employees. My manager was very strict but very efficient and productive, and always made sure our store did well during corporate visits. The discounts are great and the pay was good - pay for knowledge program was great.
Pros
Raises, good management, discounts, Pto, lots of encouragement for advancement
Cons
Long hours standing, cranky customers trying to abuse the system, not very flexiae schedules for full time employees
Horrible workplace with drama and poor management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 21, 2019
Poor store management... If/When they decide to show up for work or work a full shift. Management does not communicate with employees instead talks behind everyone's back and makes up lies to get out of work. The district manager pretends to be clueless to her store managers or "friends" that she hires.
The discounts were great and the customers are amazing!
Great place to engage with customer about their health and wellness needs.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 14, 2019
As Corp of today goes, they to need to do some re-branding to meet the needs of our growing older population.
Made a lot of changes since I came on board. Some good, some not so good.
I really enjoyed getting to know the customers.
The 3 mangers I've had were great, in different way. Learned a lot.
Pros
Discount, knowledge learned. Healthcare plan.
Cons
Policy changes
Workplace Environmnet
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Acworth, GAJanuary 27, 2019
Environment is relaxed with high emphasis on sales and metrics. There is little to no room for advancement, which makes it hard to retain employees for the future.
Pros
Flexible Schedules
Cons
Little to no room for advancement
Fast paced, specialty market, the store around the corner.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIJanuary 16, 2019
Customers truly come first at the Vitamin Shoppe. A typical day starts with understanding our stores sales goals and plan for the day. Next we continue finishing up any retail related tasks. After the first hour the focus is on customers only. We really get to know our customers on a first hand basis. We welcome, we greet, we ask what is it that brings you in today? We actively listen to customers needs and recommend products based on our specialty knowledge of supplements and vitamins. Working in a unique retail market has given me knowledge of how to give customers the best service I can. I have learned that by asking one more question and really investing your time getting to know a customer, that you earn loyalty and growth in a business. The management team at the Vitamin Shoppe is invested in the growth of their teammates. I find that the most difficult part of my job and also the most rewarding is all of the knowledge I have learned about how the human body works. I love the customer interaction.
Strict rules
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 7, 2018
The Vitamin Shoppe has very very strict rules. You have to be very carful not to make mistakes. A typical day can either be laid back or super stressful.
Cultural
Assistant Store manager (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GADecember 4, 2018
The good part job was mostly interacting with people like myself: health conscious, and looking for solutions. However, it was a retail job and there were a lot of bad customers. Mostly because of the culture in the surrounding area.
Pros
Dialogue
Cons
Dialogue
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAOctober 19, 2018
Typical day includes fulfilling customer wellness needs, cash management, daily accounting, inventory controls, store sanitation, staffing, store merchandising.
Have learned a great deal more about health and wellness here.
It's a good temporary job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 11, 2018
Unless you are a store manager, it is more of a temporary job. I was an assistant manager for a little over two years and was never given the opportunity to move up.
Pros
Flexible schedule times
Cons
Short breaks, little to no opportunity to grow
Don’t bother
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 6, 2018
It was fine in the beginning. The manager and staff seemed kind and knowledgeable, but it changed after about 4 months. The manager stopped trying to do any work and complained constantly, even in front of customers. Others working there did as little as possible and left everything to fall on whoever else was working.
The company continued ya downfall and began threatening jobs for not getting enough customers to sign up for the Auto delivery. If the customers would not do it, the employees had to. As a neighborhood store, you can see where this was a problem.
The chances to move up are few and far between, the company always choosing outside hires over those within who already had the skills and knowledge.
Pros
Half hour lunch, discounts, free samples
Cons
Poor management, no opportunity to move up, pressure from above
Good for Part-time
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2018
Vitamin Shoppe is a good place to work, interact with customers, helping them change their lifestyles for the better. However, it has a high turnover rate and new people come on board within management.
Pros
Discounts, Good Leaders
Cons
Low Pay, Short Break, unconsistent schedules
can be a fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 7, 2018
Vitamin Shoppe acts like a mom and pop operation, even though it's a corporation. You see the same customers, sometimes several times a day.

The discount is great, benefits are good.

You an learn a lot about health and supplements.

Your team is very small, so if there is a conflict,it's very uncomfortable. i think this is the hardest part of the job. There are no secrets.

You cannot count on your schedule ever being the same, it's hard to live outside of work.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
schedule
Company takes it time to properly train
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Shelby Twp, MIJuly 28, 2018
I love that I started with minimal knowledge of supplements, and within 6 months I felt confident with product knowledge . Their web based training program walks you thru how everything works and how to bring them up into conversations with the customer.
Flexible Work Space
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
I worked at the Vitamin SHoppe for 3 years it was over all a good experience, I meet good people, and the job was flexible with other things I had going on.
Upper management needs improvement
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJune 20, 2018
We had a small staff so everyone became family but upper management only focused on sales and numbers. We focused on the customer and their needs and wants.
Good company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 18, 2018
Overall a great company to work for. Depending on the store it can be fast or slow paced. My biggest concerns were more towards upper management and the idea of auto delivery. It's not an easy seller to customers by between that and the many changes that have occurred in recent years shows a huge lack of stability in the company.
Pros
Great discounts, educating in store, flexible
Cons
Due to many corporate changes and the diversification of the supplement industry, possibly unstable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight