The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews for Retail Assistant Manager

Expand your knowledge in health and fitness
Key Holder/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 19, 2019
Great place to work! You learn a lot about health through the courses they have you do, which you are getting paid. You learn to approve your people skills.
Very informative and educational workplace about health and fitness
Key Holder (manager) (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 24, 2019
A typical work day at The Vitamin Shoppe includes helping customers achieve their wellness goals while providing great customer service and making sure our customers are happy.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Low pay
educational
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2019
working here was ok except for the pay. the best this about it was the free education. its just not enough pay for managerial responsibilities. can but fun and education though
Slow paced environment
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILMay 15, 2019
You learn a lot based off customers just make sure you have a great manager. Customers are amazing and you can definitely learn more from them than anything.
vitamin shop is a great company
Keyholder/Manager (Current Employee) –  Florida State, FLApril 22, 2019
vitamin shop is a great company, great opportunity for advancement and bettering your career. I chose vitamin shoppe because it's an industry I am familiar with and they work with my school schedule
Company Going Downhill
Fulltime Keyholder/Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 6, 2019
Unfortunately, unless you pass the Compatibility Test with a certain score, you will not even get an interview. Fortunately for some people, if you pass the compatibility test, and your resume LOOKS good, then you get the job. What this means for everyone else is that because they tend to not actually check references, a lot of managers are hired in from off the street and shown a great salary number and accept the job, without being able to prove that their management skills are actually credible. A lot of managers are given their jobs and then are lazy, and don't have the decency to admit that they can't do their jobs or they aren't willing to put in the hours. That means the people who are in lower levels end up doing MORE work than they get paid for. Just my experience.

Recently, they have given a lot of ultimatums to GOOD employees who DONT push customers, because the company wants them to PUSH private brand and their ADP program.

If you are going to threaten your employees that they will lose their jobs if they don't push this Auto Delivery Home Delivery program, then they can't be angry when customer transactions in store are low (because people are now having their products sent to their house with the Auto Delviery program), and the brick and mortar locations aren't making goals because of it.

Seems like if you don't sign people up to just have stuff sent home so "they don't have to worry about coming into store to pick up their stuff" you get fired. If you sign people up to have stuff sent to their homes, but you don't get the transactions in store to meet
  more... sales goals, you get fired. Doesn't make for a great work environment.  less
Pros
discounts, knowledge
Cons
sexist pay, hours, poor management, pushy sales environment
Great environment
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 12, 2019
Need different job type. Leaving retail. You get thorough training and can always move up. They will halp to transfer you if you ever move and are very supportive. One of the better retail jobs out there.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
No cons
Very few breaks
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 10, 2019
You are at most times required to work on your half hour break due to lack of staff and you are never permitted a 15 minute break, nope no way. There are no security cameras in the stores and you are often left alone in the store to handle multiple customers and phones. The list goes on...
Pros
Parking
Cons
Smh, there are just to many to list.
Not reccomended
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAFebruary 2, 2019
Terrible management Higher ups were only interested in pushing a subscription process. It made our customer base smaller and confused them more. Also so many problems.
ok job
Key holder/Acting Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 25, 2019
Lots of tests taken. Simple tasks to do. Not busy. Discount on vitamins is a good part of the job.Stand all day long and have to be in shape. okay management very young
Very relaxed and flexible workplace.
KEY HOLDER (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 27, 2018
The specific store I work at is a lower volume store so there is not always customers in the store. However, there were plenty of other things to keep us focused and goal oriented for the day, month, and year.
Fun place
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 6, 2018
It was a fun place to work the employees were all very nice and I am really interested in Health and Fitness so i enjoyed working there. I left due to making a movie.
Fun place
Key Holder/Manager (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CANovember 2, 2018
Didn’t know that much coming about vitamins or supplements coming into the job, but after the training courses you take in store and all the questions your faves with from customers, you learn a lot in a very short amount of time.
pushing own business
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 29, 2018
Very corporatized, no opportunity for actual learning. Reps not motivated to service. Limited upward capability. Most people are just employees there.
The Vitamin Shoppe provides help to customers on a health journey. The best feature are our customers.
Manager/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 23, 2018
A typical day if opening. Open registers. Audit the books from the previous day. Open the store greet every customer. Listening to their needs and asking questions in order to best serve their health needs.

I had the opportunity to learn in interactive courses about health. With coworkers we talked about the latest health studies and research. There were free health magazines we could take home to read.

Our new manager just started yesterday to help us close down our store location. I had the chance to get to know her. Very personable and a good leader.

Workplace culture I found enjoyable. As a team we helped customers with their health while increasing sales...win-win!

The hardest part when i was schedule to close the store then turn around and work an open to close shift.

The most enjoyable part is dealing with the customers. The daily feedback was amazing.
Pros
Helping people with their health, access to any information needed regarding product or information for particular health conditions.
Cons
The Store Manager I had for 2 plus years really tried to accommodate our schedules, with newer management that changed.
Fun to work and learn
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 23, 2018
I highly recommend for any college students to work at The Vitamin Shoppe, it is very convenient and they will definitely work with your school schedule.
Cons
Health benefits
Great place to work, rewarding profession.
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHOctober 12, 2018
Busy atmosphere, great customer interaction, rewarding relationships, merit based learning, room for growth, great on the job training, excellent store staff and management team!
Pros
paid training/benefits/matched 401K/product discounts/invested learning rewards
Cons
Retail hours not M-F 9a -5p/ at times understaffed
The Vitamin was a promising company to work for in the beginning but fell short quickly.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, CTSeptember 9, 2018
The Vitamin Shoppe is a fine establishment to work for. In the year that I worked there I learned a great deal knowledge. At the same time the company's goals are a little blown out of proportion. I tried extremely hard to met those goals but due to customer traffic fell short sometimes. The outcome of this wasn't handled properly and I would feel as if I was viewed as in a incompetent worker, how ever that was never the case. Not only did I feel this, but several co workers as well. Regardless we all still tried or best and continued to engage every customer. Management wasn't the best either, we all felt very over whelmed at time and couldn't find a solution with management. But we made due with what we had and had a fun time together as small group and I consider my ex co workers as my friends. The two hardest parts about that job was trying to please management and still keep a friendly basis with customers and not constantly over sell them. We pride ourselves on repeat customer interactions. The most enjoyable part, hands down was the customers. Through them I learned a great deal of knowledge and got to know a lot of good people. People who all shared a passion of fitness and health.
Pros
Multiple breaks.
Cons
0 overtime. Not enough workers.
Downhill
While a key holder (Current Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 6, 2018
Was a really nice place to work. It's become very gimmicky in the past two years. Jumping on any fad that pops up, however briefly. Major policy changes are occurring every week.

"Let's do this, wait.... no. Bad idea.
We'll do this instead... also bad idea. Never mind.
How about this? Also bad. Let's keep it, but neuter the entire program so that it isn't even that good, but try and make it sound good."

I feel like this happens more than it should
Pros
Discounts
fast pace and stressful work enviroment
Key Holder - Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 21, 2018
You must understand most of the supplements in the store and know how to interact with your customers. Most of the training you receive is from the VS University, one tip I can give anyone working in that environment is to ask the customer what are they using the product for even if you have an idea, and how long they have been using it for, and who suggested to them to use that product. If you see a customer in the store don't do your tasking just help them and while they are looking and your preparing to ring them out start blocking and facing the store. The first thing they see is your store front so it must be exceptional to look at the moment they walk in. The enviroment is very stressful your job mainly consists of helping the customer understand policy changes and fixing any and all issues the customer has.
Pros
30min Lunches, Paid off time, and persenal time
Cons
Work load, No overtime, Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight