The Washington Post Employee Reviews

Pleasant experience
Delivery Driver/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VANovember 11, 2018
Learned to
- Provide excellent customer support
- Ensure all deliveries are delivered promptly
- Manage tremendous work load
- Apply team working skills to ensure success
Fast paced
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2018
I was an assistant to a mail carrier once or twice a month. The lady I worked with had a great personality and was great to work with. The hardest part of the job was working in the rain as it made it kinda hard to see the house numbers at time, but once I got familiar it was fairly easy. The most enjoyable parts of the job was the comraderie I had with my supervisor.
Pros
Comraderie
Cons
weather conditions
Washington Post
Utility Mailer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAOctober 22, 2018
Loading News Paper in a SLS machine , to be sent out for delivery , everyday , its a fast pace, place with safety first , always . good supervisors to work for , there was nothing hard about the Post , another good team of workers, i was there over 19 years...
Pros
great pt job
Cons
N/a
Great work environment
Writer/Copy Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2018
The sports department employees all got along When it was time to meet tight deadlines, the entire team worked well together. This was a plus. This was necessary to deliver the news.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Parking
Fun and exciting work place
Circulation Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  1301 K St NW Washington DC 20071October 13, 2018
I work in several different positions while being employed there, with several different promotions. Great experience. When I first started there the benefits were awesome. A lot has changed over the years the company was sold and as a result, employees lost a lot of good benefits.
Pros
you can get there by metro.
Cons
pay scale not compatible to other work places.
Lack of Diversity in advancement
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2018
Great benefits, but not a great opportunity for mobility for some. Competitive salary with adequate commission structure, and sales bonuses including all expense paid trips.
Pros
Great incentives
Great workplace
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
After spending over 10 years in the military I thought I had reached the peak of my career, after joining the Post it is one of the best in the business
Pros
Teamwork
Great newspaper
Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Great newspaper. Log on, put head down, go to work. Many talented reporters work there, including Bob Woodward, who has a new book coming out about Donald Trump.
Arc: small startup culture seeing growing pains
SUPPORT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2018
I work on the Arc side of WaPo, and it has some growing to do, mostly in the different tiers of management and formalized processes. It still has a very startup-ish vibe. I got to learn a lot of different things, especially related to software development, which was great for me career - not one that is a true software development career. This company is filled with truly brilliant and nice people. There are not many pointless meetings. The technology they use is cutting-edge and interesting. The people are laid back, but still get a lot of work done.
Fun Workplace - Great Culture!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2018
Innovative and forward-thinking workplace in an environment that fosters creativity. Great culture and incredibly rewarding work, but the benefits and salary could be more competitive.
I won’t recommend this job for anyone especially working for dc
Carrier (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCAugust 14, 2018
When you work for the Washington post for d.c be prepared to get the routes nobody wants, they pull you in on how much you wanna make a month when they ask you how much money u wanna make my suggestion is Don’t say anything at all wait until u get paid, and depending on the your first check will determine from there how many papers you want to deliver ( when other news outlets will pay you every two weeks, instead of monthly pay) on top of that they will give you the lowest pay because your new! Then the will have you sign a contract but they won’t follow it! Secondly the COMPLAINTS you’ll get is 10 dollars a paper that wasn’t delivered is deducted from your pay, even when someone can steal a paper or a animal will take it and use it for shelter or whatever else’s reason! They don’t care! I suggest you have another job, expenses for this job adds up fast and that other job can help pay for your expenses while working this job! ( so basically you have to work another job to support this job!) I also suggest do not buy a paper if your short while out on your route to avoid a complaint the company claims they will reimburse you but its a lie! If your really interested in this job really think about and pay attention to what’s going! I worked one month and only got a hundred dollars pay check! And I was delivering about 300 papers a night! And had under 20 deductions! I quit that same night
Pros
Cons
Plenty of reason why not
Physical, stressful, shift-work
Experienced Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 10, 2018
The hardest part of my job is having to work at night. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people from different backgrounds and nationalities.
Useful organized and fast-paced
Newspaper Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 18, 2018
Very subtle in time. I liked the packaging of newspapers. The workshop was big with widespread materials. I liked the freedom to work on a flexible schedule.
Most Creative People in the World
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2018
Great place to work, but not perfect. Fast-paced sales environment recommended for anyone interested in being a sales director or manager, account manager, or account executive. Also, lots of jobs in Accounting, Information Technology, and the highly sought after Newsroom. Professional environment. Benefits are adequate but changes to the retirement plan have been implemented under new ownership that many view as unfavorable. Overall, I recommend to anyone interested in a career in media, advertising, or journalism. Most employees are hard working and loyal.
Pros
Flexibile working hours and options to work remote
Cons
Lack of "people of color" in managment positions
Great opportunity, but hard to make a career here
RELIABLE SOURCE REPORTER/EDITORIAL AIDE (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 13, 2018
A fun work environment with a lot of intelligent people to learn from, and the company name gives you a lot of access. My complaint is about management, and the cultivation of their reporters. They prefer to just hire bigger names from outside rather than hire from within. Great opportunities are here for a certain amount of time, but it's hard to establish a career here.
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2018
My coworkers and I are like a tight knit family. I enjoy working with them every night. I enjoy my customers whenever I get the chance to encounter them.
An honor to be a part of this historic company & culture
Confidential Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2018
This was the one that got away, a job I left due to relocation with my husband's job. The environment was positive, educational, skill-building, team-spirited and I was surrounded by highly qualified and amazing people. I learned every day, was supported by my director as well as our company leaders, encouraged to stay on and grow through opportunities. There are no words to quantify my deep admiration for this workplace, and if our future takes us back to the Washington area, I will do my best to become a part of it once again.
Pros
Great Benefits, personnel, job perks, schedule, ability to advance, supportive and encouraging atmosphere
Cons
original building gone, company sold, twp.com surviving entity
Admin. assistant
Administrative Assistant and Night Manger (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2018
Supervise a staff of 8 -15 newspaper carriers based on a weekday or weekend.
Manage daily routines and quality of work.
Prepare invoice, reports, memos, letters, financial statements and other documents.
Competitive and Fast Paced Environment
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
A typical day at The Washington Post is forever changing. I've learned so much about digital media and I continue to learn more each and every day. Unfortunately, my management isn't very strong but it allows me to take more ownership of my individual projects and find the answers myself. The hardest part of my job is finding answers to new evolving questions in the digital landscape. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with clients and selling the amazing digital products that The Washington Post has to offer. It's a great company that is challenging and I thrive in that type of environment.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Unequal pay on our team
Great Company
Utility Mailer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 2, 2018
Family atmosphere, great pay, excellent hours. I was a bit skeptical when I took the job since they had recently been bought by someone else but I'm glad I gave them a chance.!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Washington Post. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss