The Washington Post Employee Reviews

Good if its temporary
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VANovember 25, 2018
If you're a bit of a night owl and are looking for some extra money then this might be a decent gig for you. I loved it at first, it doesn't take long and it can be fun, but after awhile 7 nights a week will wear on you, and the wear & tear on your car (that they don't compensate you for at all) will eventually make this job more pain than it's worth.
Pros
relaxed, can bring a friend, easy
Cons
bad weather, no nights off, vehicle damage, overnight
Fast paced
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2018
I was an assistant to a mail carrier once or twice a month. The lady I worked with had a great personality and was great to work with. The hardest part of the job was working in the rain as it made it kinda hard to see the house numbers at time, but once I got familiar it was fairly easy. The most enjoyable parts of the job was the comraderie I had with my supervisor.
Pros
Comraderie
Cons
weather conditions
Fun and exciting work place
Circulation Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  1301 K St NW Washington DC 20071October 13, 2018
I work in several different positions while being employed there, with several different promotions. Great experience. When I first started there the benefits were awesome. A lot has changed over the years the company was sold and as a result, employees lost a lot of good benefits.
Pros
you can get there by metro.
Cons
pay scale not compatible to other work places.
Prestigious Organization but not a lot of room for growth
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 31, 2018
Pros: Good Vacation and Sick Leave Benefits
Great Location in DC (metro & bus accessible)
Discounts offered at neighboring restaurants
Sleek new building

Bad: Bad 401-K Match, no tuition reimbursement
Fishbowl environment
Lack of career advancement opportunities
Arc: small startup culture seeing growing pains
SUPPORT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2018
I work on the Arc side of WaPo, and it has some growing to do, mostly in the different tiers of management and formalized processes. It still has a very startup-ish vibe. I got to learn a lot of different things, especially related to software development, which was great for me career - not one that is a true software development career. This company is filled with truly brilliant and nice people. There are not many pointless meetings. The technology they use is cutting-edge and interesting. The people are laid back, but still get a lot of work done.
Great place to work in circulation before print took a big hit.
Circulation Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2019
Nothing but good memories. Everybody was treated like family and with respect. Unfortunately, the good old days of newsprint are just about over. But, I' m sure it's still a great, all be it different place to work.
Pros
Many
Cons
Few
Great Place to Work
T-2 Computer Operator/Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2018
I had a great time working for the Washington Post. However my job was outsourced and therefore i had to move on and find other work resources. Working for the Washington Post gave me much experience and lots of job experiences.
Productive, exciting and ever changing workplace
Tactical Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20071November 27, 2018
The Washington Post is a great company to work for. The fast pace, deadline driven and ever changing environment is ideal for anyone looking for a challenging yet rewarding place of employment.
Washington Post
Utility Mailer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAOctober 22, 2018
Loading News Paper in a SLS machine , to be sent out for delivery , everyday , its a fast pace, place with safety first , always . good supervisors to work for , there was nothing hard about the Post , another good team of workers, i was there over 19 years...
Pros
great pt job
Cons
N/a
Most Creative People in the World
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2018
Great place to work, but not perfect. Fast-paced sales environment recommended for anyone interested in being a sales director or manager, account manager, or account executive. Also, lots of jobs in Accounting, Information Technology, and the highly sought after Newsroom. Professional environment. Benefits are adequate but changes to the retirement plan have been implemented under new ownership that many view as unfavorable. Overall, I recommend to anyone interested in a career in media, advertising, or journalism. Most employees are hard working and loyal.
Pros
Flexibile working hours and options to work remote
Cons
Lack of "people of color" in managment positions
Lack of Diversity in advancement
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2018
Great benefits, but not a great opportunity for mobility for some. Competitive salary with adequate commission structure, and sales bonuses including all expense paid trips.
Pros
Great incentives
Great work environment
Writer/Copy Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2018
The sports department employees all got along When it was time to meet tight deadlines, the entire team worked well together. This was a plus. This was necessary to deliver the news.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Parking
Pleasant experience
Delivery Driver/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VANovember 11, 2018
Learned to
- Provide excellent customer support
- Ensure all deliveries are delivered promptly
- Manage tremendous work load
- Apply team working skills to ensure success
Great opportunity, but hard to make a career here
RELIABLE SOURCE REPORTER/EDITORIAL AIDE (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 13, 2018
A fun work environment with a lot of intelligent people to learn from, and the company name gives you a lot of access. My complaint is about management, and the cultivation of their reporters. They prefer to just hire bigger names from outside rather than hire from within. Great opportunities are here for a certain amount of time, but it's hard to establish a career here.
Fun Workplace - Great Culture!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2018
Innovative and forward-thinking workplace in an environment that fosters creativity. Great culture and incredibly rewarding work, but the benefits and salary could be more competitive.
Great workplace
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
After spending over 10 years in the military I thought I had reached the peak of my career, after joining the Post it is one of the best in the business
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
An honor to be a part of this historic company & culture
Confidential Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2018
This was the one that got away, a job I left due to relocation with my husband's job. The environment was positive, educational, skill-building, team-spirited and I was surrounded by highly qualified and amazing people. I learned every day, was supported by my director as well as our company leaders, encouraged to stay on and grow through opportunities. There are no words to quantify my deep admiration for this workplace, and if our future takes us back to the Washington area, I will do my best to become a part of it once again.
Pros
Great Benefits, personnel, job perks, schedule, ability to advance, supportive and encouraging atmosphere
Cons
original building gone, company sold, twp.com surviving entity
Physical, stressful, shift-work
Experienced Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 10, 2018
The hardest part of my job is having to work at night. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people from different backgrounds and nationalities.
Great newspaper
Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Great newspaper. Log on, put head down, go to work. Many talented reporters work there, including Bob Woodward, who has a new book coming out about Donald Trump.
Useful organized and fast-paced
Newspaper Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 18, 2018
Very subtle in time. I liked the packaging of newspapers. The workshop was big with widespread materials. I liked the freedom to work on a flexible schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Washington Post. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight