The Washington Post Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
After spending over 10 years in the military I thought I had reached the peak of my career, after joining the Post it is one of the best in the business
Pros
Teamwork
Great newspaper
Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Great newspaper. Log on, put head down, go to work. Many talented reporters work there, including Bob Woodward, who has a new book coming out about Donald Trump.
Arc: small startup culture seeing growing pains
SUPPORT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2018
I work on the Arc side of WaPo, and it has some growing to do, mostly in the different tiers of management and formalized processes. It still has a very startup-ish vibe. I got to learn a lot of different things, especially related to software development, which was great for me career - not one that is a true software development career. This company is filled with truly brilliant and nice people. There are not many pointless meetings. The technology they use is cutting-edge and interesting. The people are laid back, but still get a lot of work done.
Fun Workplace - Great Culture!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2018
Innovative and forward-thinking workplace in an environment that fosters creativity. Great culture and incredibly rewarding work, but the benefits and salary could be more competitive.
I won’t recommend this job for anyone especially working for dc
Carrier (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCAugust 14, 2018
When you work for the Washington post for d.c be prepared to get the routes nobody wants, they pull you in on how much you wanna make a month when they ask you how much money u wanna make my suggestion is Don’t say anything at all wait until u get paid, and depending on the your first check will determine from there how many papers you want to deliver ( when other news outlets will pay you every two weeks, instead of monthly pay) on top of that they will give you the lowest pay because your new! Then the will have you sign a contract but they won’t follow it! Secondly the COMPLAINTS you’ll get is 10 dollars a paper that wasn’t delivered is deducted from your pay, even when someone can steal a paper or a animal will take it and use it for shelter or whatever else’s reason! They don’t care! I suggest you have another job, expenses for this job adds up fast and that other job can help pay for your expenses while working this job! ( so basically you have to work another job to support this job!) I also suggest do not buy a paper if your short while out on your route to avoid a complaint the company claims they will reimburse you but its a lie! If your really interested in this job really think about and pay attention to what’s going! I worked one month and only got a hundred dollars pay check! And I was delivering about 300 papers a night! And had under 20 deductions! I quit that same night
Pros
Cons
Plenty of reason why not
Physical, stressful, shift-work
Experienced Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 10, 2018
The hardest part of my job is having to work at night. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people from different backgrounds and nationalities.
Useful organized and fast-paced
Newspaper Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 18, 2018
Very subtle in time. I liked the packaging of newspapers. The workshop was big with widespread materials. I liked the freedom to work on a flexible schedule.
Most Creative People in the World
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2018
Great place to work, but not perfect. Fast-paced sales environment recommended for anyone interested in being a sales director or manager, account manager, or account executive. Also, lots of jobs in Accounting, Information Technology, and the highly sought after Newsroom. Professional environment. Benefits are adequate but changes to the retirement plan have been implemented under new ownership that many view as unfavorable. Overall, I recommend to anyone interested in a career in media, advertising, or journalism. Most employees are hard working and loyal.
Pros
Flexibile working hours and options to work remote
Cons
Lack of "people of color" in managment positions
Great opportunity, but hard to make a career here
RELIABLE SOURCE REPORTER/EDITORIAL AIDE (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 13, 2018
A fun work environment with a lot of intelligent people to learn from, and the company name gives you a lot of access. My complaint is about management, and the cultivation of their reporters. They prefer to just hire bigger names from outside rather than hire from within. Great opportunities are here for a certain amount of time, but it's hard to establish a career here.
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2018
My coworkers and I are like a tight knit family. I enjoy working with them every night. I enjoy my customers whenever I get the chance to encounter them.
An honor to be a part of this historic company & culture
Confidential Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2018
This was the one that got away, a job I left due to relocation with my husband's job. The environment was positive, educational, skill-building, team-spirited and I was surrounded by highly qualified and amazing people. I learned every day, was supported by my director as well as our company leaders, encouraged to stay on and grow through opportunities. There are no words to quantify my deep admiration for this workplace, and if our future takes us back to the Washington area, I will do my best to become a part of it once again.
Pros
Great Benefits, personnel, job perks, schedule, ability to advance, supportive and encouraging atmosphere
Cons
original building gone, company sold, twp.com surviving entity
Admin. assistant
Administrative Assistant and Night Manger (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2018
Supervise a staff of 8 -15 newspaper carriers based on a weekday or weekend.
Manage daily routines and quality of work.
Prepare invoice, reports, memos, letters, financial statements and other documents.
Competitive and Fast Paced Environment
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
A typical day at The Washington Post is forever changing. I've learned so much about digital media and I continue to learn more each and every day. Unfortunately, my management isn't very strong but it allows me to take more ownership of my individual projects and find the answers myself. The hardest part of my job is finding answers to new evolving questions in the digital landscape. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with clients and selling the amazing digital products that The Washington Post has to offer. It's a great company that is challenging and I thrive in that type of environment.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Unequal pay on our team
Great Company
Utility Mailer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 2, 2018
Family atmosphere, great pay, excellent hours. I was a bit skeptical when I took the job since they had recently been bought by someone else but I'm glad I gave them a chance.!
Innovative, if mismanaged engineering team
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 17, 2018
Working on the engineering team at the Post has been an incredibly rewarding and challenging experience. I've gained valuable skills in building and managing scalable applications in a creative, right-tool-for-the-job environment, vastly expanding my technical knowledge. The work-life balance is excellent, with good options for remote work and flexible hours. The average day involves dev work and associated meetings to coordinate projects, conduct demos, and offer new feature proposals. The degree of technical expertise and drive amongst the engineering team is first rate.

That said, the engineering team is managed in such a way that is very reactionary. Few processes are well established or consistently applied, technical and user documentation of products is lackluster, and the expectation of quick turnaround times create an atmosphere that often feels undirected. Dealing with constantly shifting priorities and tight deadlines make for a somewhat chaotic dev environment. In my view, the performance review system is fairly opaque and handled solely by your direct supervisor. Several other engineers were afforded opportunities to switch teams based upon their desire for a change of work or manager, but I have not had that experience.

Overall, I'd recommend the Post to someone looking for a face-paced engineering job in the DC area, but would caution prospective employees to be wary of disorganization and the uneven management processes.
Excellent company
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2018
The Washingto Post was a great company to work for. I started as a disptacher in circulation department and ended up as a distributor in the VA area. Neither one of these postions exist today, the Post downsized due to the internet, most people get their news online. With that being said my years at the Post were great. I learned a work ethic that I had not known, learning hard work, dicipline, working with others and managing others. Had I not had to relocate and the Post shutting down their distriution center and circulation dept, all to technology becoming the norm, I probably still work for there.
Pros
Great for expansion
Cons
Sometimes there were stressful situations.
Great company to work for
Engineering Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 30, 2018
Worked in the DC office for 2+ years. Multi-platform and forward-focused technology company. Voted top company to work for, great people. Great benefits and perks.
able to adapt
Distributor Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 24, 2018
If you are just a worker its fun , but if a manager its very difficult.
especially the pay it can be held back from you. So if you have bills to pay, get a second source of income.
Pros
work on your own
Cons
pay
wonderful place to work
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2018
wonderful co-workers Great environment, great benefits, located downtown so the location is perfect. learned how to deal with the needs of my clients the more I became familiar with the environment
Pros
great benefits, good location
Cons
wanted to cross train, but was low staffed
delivery driver Newspapers
Driver around houses, townhouses, and Apartments (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJanuary 23, 2018
get papers lists names and addresses, zip codes. counts newspspers. make right and wrong check lists counts and newspapers paper too . delivery driver around and gps , text message, and more..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Washington Post. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

49out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Washington Post.

Powered by Comparably