The Wilderness Society Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
stressful yet meaningful experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 12, 2017
stressful and unorganized at times. it was nice working as a team, but because of everyone's busy schedules, meeting as a while group was difficult. it was a meaningful experience being a part of a grassroots campaign, but i would not do it again.
Pros
light hours
Cons
no compensation
Loved mission and supporters
Senior Director of Dev. for Membership  (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2013
There was a transition period at TWS when there were 30+year employees and many new staff coming onto the team. As the organization went through growth pains, there were culture clashes and an inability by management to effectively support change.

The staff was so demoralized it was impossible to get them out of the negative space they worked in in order to move forward. The processes that needed to be changed never were changed and the people hired to bring change were let go while the folks refusing to embrace new technology and methodology remain at the organization.

Lack of general counsel, stable HR department and interdepartmental accountability makes this a very stressful environment to work in for the short and long term. I hope it has changed since I left.

Its mission is too important to fail. I wish the organization nothing but goodness.
Pros
Mission, History of Organization, Unaccountability for mismanagement of budgets
Cons
Management, Lack of structure clarity, job insecurity, lack of supervisor stability
Fun, Friendly, and Passionate Workplace
Conservation Funding Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2013
My experience at the Wilderness Society was a very positive one. I was actively engaged in relevant policy issues and was exposed to a wide variety of professional settings in which I was encouraged to learn and participate. Although I worked full time, they were extremely flexible with my schedule. Management went well above and beyond to help me acclimate and gain as much knowledge and experience as possible during my time with the organization.

The most difficult part of my job was quickly adapting to changing policy and learning how to function effectively in a political environment. I was also given some projects with very short notice but expectations were generally fair. The best part of my job was the people I worked with. They were fun and friendly and were social outside of office hours (ie. running club, office happy hours, etc.) Plus I was exposed to a lot of great opportunities and learned a lot during my stay.
Pros
flexible, accommodating, fun but professional
Cons
unpaid internship
Great people, passionate about mission
Associate (Former Employee) –  Western USMay 4, 2012
The Wilderness Society's mission is to protect wilderness and inspire Americans to care about wild places. It is staffed by professionals committed to that mission, at work and in their personal lives.

I worked for one of the western regional offices for six years, and can't say enough good things about my co-workers and my supervisor.

I enjoyed the working relationships with my co-workers; while we each had our own program goals to work toward, we came together to help each other out. People welcomed and respected each other's ideas and even criticisms. I loved the flexibility and ability to take on new challenges and projects once I'd mastered my main job duties. I learned a lot about public lands, wilderness and was able to grow in my professional skills, thanks to the supervisor I worked for.

While I believe that most everyone on staff was devoted to the mission of the organization, I believe that one of the weaker areas that the organization is now addressing is how it is managed, and it's lack of promotional opportunities for existing staff. It tended to look outside the organization for 'experts and directors,' when it could have invested some education and training into it's existing staff who were already doing the work in the field. They often ended up with lots of thinkers and idea people who could think big picture, but sometimes lacked the expertise or aptitude to think through and budget for all the steps and resources it would take to get to the goals it set out for itself.

That said, it is still a great organization that is doing great work.
Pros
great mission, good compensation, great people.
Cons
upper management not following through with plans, lack of advancement opportunities

Want to know more about The Wilderness Society?

Ask a question