THE WILLS GROUP Employee Reviews

Nice Company!
Real Estate Finance & Development Manager (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDSeptember 14, 2019
The executive leadership is extremely fair, the pay is above average, and I was able to work on interesting projects with senior leadership in the firm.
Unrealistic Expectations
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDApril 9, 2019
The Wills Group Culture has unfortunately been neglected by current management and is reflected in the downward spiral of employee morale. Promotions with current employees are based on favoritism not actual job performance.
Pros
pay vs location
Cons
management
Good place to be
Consultant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDApril 7, 2019
I was a consultant working at the company. I really enjoyed my time working there. They have good people to work with and the manager of my area was pleasant and helpful. There were lots of projects to work on, and the culture was family friendly.
Pros
Family oriented environment, liked the people I worked with, challenging work assignments
Cons
Maybe trying to do too many things at once, but definitely a desire to grow
Well Run Company in Southern Maryland
Employee (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDMarch 28, 2019
The company is very well managed and is very involved in the local community. The people you work with are for the most part helpful and friendly, and the company will focus on your development and growth. Management cares about employees as it is a family owned company. Compensation is very fair, and they have an excellent 401k program to save for retirement - one of the best I have ever seen. The company is about to move to a modern new office which should make the working environment even better. And for those who live in the DC metro area, it's basically a reverse commute, so you're not in traffic with everyone else on the beltway. The company is in growth mode, and adding new Dash In stores around the area. All in all, it's a very good place to work.
Pros
Family oriented culture, focus on growth and development, very fair compensation, easy commute
Cons
Somewhat out of the way in La Plata, Maryland
Store Leadership Opportunities
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern MarylandFebruary 21, 2019
The company is expanding the corporate footprint of Dash In stores providing for significant opportunities for growth and development on the store leadership team. The rapid pace of new store openings in the last year doubled the number of new employees, creating 20 new store leadership roles. Anyone looking for a career in retail with exponential room for growth should look at Dash In. Additionally the company has a commitment to community service that impacts thousands of people through three states.
Pros
Great growth potential
Cons
With new store openings change is inevitable, requiring everyone to be adaptable
Learned a lot
Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 21, 2019
I was able to learn quite a bit in my job. Was given lots of responsibility quickly and had a good relationship with my manager and co-workers. Working there definitely helped me to grow my career. People are friendly and there is definitely a family atmosphere in the office. They were working hard to make it an even better place to work. The company is very financially sound and growing.
Pros
Opportunity to grow, dedicated co-workers, professional environment
Cons
Always busy, but that can be a good thing
Good place to learn and develop your skills
Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 20, 2019
I enjoyed working at the Wills Group (also known as Dash In and SMO). I had a very good manager who gave me challenging work assignments and helped me grow. The other employees in my department were friendly and helpful. It was a good team atmosphere. The senior leaders were accessible and engaging. It was a very well run company with a family friendly environment. The pay was very good and the benefits were above average. A good place to work overall.
Pros
Pay and benefits were very competitive
Cons
Typical growing pains associated with opening new stores
Great Place to Grow a Career
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 18, 2019
The Wills Group is a learning organization. If you are looking to grow a career, look no further! While the company is locally based, family run company, there are a number of similarities to that of a large public company. The company truly cares for employees, customers, and the communities that it serves. The company offers a fantastic tuition reimbursement program, and 401K. If you are coming from DC or NOVA, the reverse commute is wonderful. The people that work for the company are full of passion and leadership. If you are someone who likes challenges, applying yourself, and hard work, this organization will be a match for you and your future career.

You need to be real go getter, to make in this organization. Everyone here is working toward a shared and common goal, you need to be prepared to work in a team environment to be successful in the organization. If you are looking to just push the time clock, this is not the place for you.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, 401K
Cons
Resourcing that meets growth needs
Positive and Professional
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 13, 2019
The company is in growth mode and evolving every day. There are lots of opportunities to improve how the work is done by being creative and innovative. I really like the family atmosphere, and the ability to be a part of a team that is making a difference. A typical day goes very quickly, and there is always more to do. The management is supportive, and we have recently been asked to create both personal and professional development goals. In the very near future we are moving to a brand new corporate office here in La Plata. By far the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. We celebrate birthdays and special events which helps us to get to know each other better. While no company is perfect, I believe the leaders here are trying to make it a better place for everyone. And we are very active in community engagement which makes it feel like we're giving back to those in need.
I wish i could get my professional time back
Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 6, 2018
I had a manager who was just ok. They had an ok attitude, but was already jaded by the company. Everyone is overworked. Hard work is not rewarded or even acknowledged. There's no transparency between subordinates and management. My actual job duties did not match up to my expectations during the interview process. The entire company is petty and catty. One mistake in this company means your demise. They have secret meetings about you, the performance evaluation system is a JOKE and unprofessional. If you are a great candidate with career goals and aspirations, DO NOT WORK HERE, people like you wont make it. They look to hire the best of the best, but don't do anything to keep those employees. The CEO is very nice and personable, but he's stuck in his ways. This company still operates like it's 1990. HR has made some headway with updated processes and procedures, but seems to fail when it comes to communication and roll outs. There's no culture, no one is happy or excited tho work there. There are good people there, but you probably won't ever meet them.
Pros
401k, flexible schedule
Cons
Management, location, culture, transparency, communication
It’s not a matter of if you’ll last here, it’s how long will you last.
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDApril 12, 2018
Good people are let go for trivial reasons. All while they have meetings about how to keep good people around. Good techs don’t last. They run people into the ground shamelessly. Looking for new employment
Pros
Local work, company vehicle, 401k
Cons
Dispatch, tune ups
Wills Group
Director of Franchise Operations - Mid Atlantic (Former Employee) –  Eastern Shore DEDecember 30, 2017
Took position as a means to diversify my experience to potentially move to another industry. Met great people and Franchisees along the way...

Very interesting industry...just wasn't for me...

Would have remained had I was given the chance to move into the gasoline side of the business...
Pros
Stable
Cons
Franchise Process
Good pay. That's about it
Retail Marketing Admin (Current Employee) –  LaPlataOctober 7, 2017
Very political. No room for growth. Horrible management. Poor communication and no true leadership. Extremely archaic -- you have to perform "magic" to get what you need.

The office is not ADA accessible either. There is no elevator.
Pros
Compensation, Free Dash In coffee at the corporate office
Cons
No work/life balance. Not a realistic work environment.
high expectations, with stress, but very progressive & well balanced
Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern Maryland OilSeptember 26, 2017
Our company growth has been tremendous over the past 20 years. With the growth, there has been a lot of change. With change, there is stress. But the company is working hard on addressing this and truly cares for it's employees. There is new leadership in place, in many parts of the company, and they are focused on employees more than ever. The benefits and pay are very competitive. The opportunity to work hard and show your skills are endless. This has provided a lot of opportunity for advancement and recognition for a number of people in the company.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Wants to grow and expand the business; community focused
Cons
You have to work hard, can be stressful at times
Horrible place to work
Helper (Former Employee) –  Barstow, MDSeptember 17, 2017
I was treated like scum for a year then let go. You're only a number here. Poor management, high turnover. The employees are jerks, never heard anything good about them.
Cons
Not a great place to work
Installation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDSeptember 11, 2017
Poor management.. Not willing to pay quality wages for quality employees. Company is disorganized and communication is lacking. No standard procedures in place. Training is severely lacking across the board which results in conflict and confusion between all departments. Very "us against them" between departments.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Everything else
Horrible Management
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 16, 2017
My employment at The Wills Group was one of the most dreadful job experiences I've had in my career. I received hardly a week's worth of training, the workload was beyond what the job description entailed, and my supervisor provided no assistance when I would approach her with questions/concerns.

My supervisor was the main source of my discontent. She would assign additional projects to me [and others] with little direction, and would offer no assistance if you had questions. You're only option was to seek help from others [who were willing to help] or figure everything out on your own.

Furthermore, Human Resources will always side with Management/Supervisors. HR is aware of the department issues and high turnover, but they refuse to make leadership changes.

Overall, working at The Wills Group was a poor experience and I would discourage anyone from seeking employment there.
Pros
Cons
Supervisors, HR always sides with Management, lack of training, excessive workload.
Unrealistic Expectations
Accounting (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDOctober 31, 2016
Excessive workload due to staffing issues (business is growing, but staff size remains the same), 100+ emails everyday (including weekends), impossible time constraints.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, no work/life balance, management.
Very professional environment
Inventory Administrator (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 6, 2014
I enjoyed working for the Wills Group. My coworkers were very nice as were my managers. The office was run very professionally. The benefits and vacation packages were also decent.
Pros
Pleasant office environment, healthcare
Cons
Not much room for advancement within the comapny.
see resume
Corporate for Southern MD. Oil (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 14, 2013
A good company to work for but after 20 years I just need a change.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not enough money for a single parent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE WILLS GROUP. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

THE WILLS GROUP Reviews by Location