The Wine Group Employee Reviews

Management is unexperienced. Write up people they dont like in order to prevent advancement opportunities to individuals who otherwise qualify.
Operator B (Former Employee) –  Madera, CANovember 5, 2018
The typical work day is relaxed. I learned the Wine process through other employees. Other employees are typically the ones who trains you. Supervisors and foreman have other coworkers train you. Management has favorites and let certain individuals get away with a slap of a hand. Workplace culture is ok. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management. Most enjoyable was some of the games we play during safety day. They took away company picnics and do not have a party for union employees. Administration and company employees only get a Christmas party.
Pros
Free lunches you have to prepare
Cons
NO fun
Good for extra money
Sugar Tester (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAOctober 23, 2018
It's not a career. There is no advancement or job security. Nothing wrong with the company, its a good place to work if you are in college or need some extra money in the summer.
Work is work
TECHNICAL OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Ripon, CASeptember 23, 2018
Benefits are good. Great pay for overtime. You really have to watch your back because you don't know what people are saying/planning behind your back.
Terrible place to work at.
Technician I /Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CASeptember 21, 2018
Most employees are cut throat and do not want to train you.
I learned that money is not everything in the work place when you get treated with no respect. HR has no respect for their workers and will terminate you for no reason . The worst Union on the planet
Anthony Perez and Bill are cut throats will not do the job to defend you in the time of need. They side with the company for their own benefit. They are the only ones that negotiate with the company and don't care about any union employee. The hardest part of the job is the hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home and leaving that miserable place.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible place to work at.
Great work environment. Changing culture
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 4, 2018
During my 10 month contract with the company, I was able to work with and learn to know so many amazing people. Rarely did I have an unpleasant experience. As I was leaving the company seemed to be going thru some major culture changes.
Pros
Thin hierarchy, long term employees, appeared to have a low turnover rate
Cons
Some management has been around for a while and used dated practices
stressful work envirnment along with no technical help from upper mangement
TECHNICAL OPERATOR 3 (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CASeptember 1, 2018
The Wine Group was only my job for such a long time because it was a good paying job and I needed to support my family. Even though I didn't really get to see my family that much because I was stuck on an off shift for over seven years. I put in my time and I was well deserved to be given the day shift position but they transformed the company to save money but then their production efficiency decreased and they blamed the employees when it was clearly managements fault. The company does what ever they want and the union doesn't protect your job and is totally for the company. Management chooses certain people to advance in the company that they hand choose due to doing certain things for them.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
managent doesnt care about your hard work there
Active and Prodcutive Environment
Intern - Technical Operations (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CA 95366August 28, 2018
My time as an intern would mostly consist of me coming into work at 7 AM to either get started on the projects my supervisor gave me or to immediately observe what the production schedule was for that day. I learned a lot about interpersonal communication at work, standard operating procedures for production lines, and the importance cooperation between the facility's different departments is. The hardest part of the job was having to wait for someone in a different department or a superior to provide the resources or clearance necessary to advance a project. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to get to work on a project at my desk and knowing that I had enough work to keep me occupied and focused for the rest of the day.
Education based, wine tastings
guest relations (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 20, 2018
The Wine Group was an extremely amazing place to work, as the management would work to your strengths and develop all their employees to what was the best for that individual. I learned a lot about wine and wine pairing, along with the history of different wines. It was a strong team who worked well together.
Pros
Wine Tasting
Cons
inconsistent income (worked for tips)
Fast Paced, productive enviornment
Inventory Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 17, 2018
After a daily tailgate meeting that provides the shipping outlook of the week and goes over the previous day's numbers, you will be working non stop save for breaks. Great employees though management is quite lacking. Hardest part of the job is the hours required to work each week, it can exceed 60 and can be tough on families depending on your shift rotation.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Quite a few
Not hard
Pump Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, CAApril 26, 2018
Trying to find dream job been looking at a bunch of different jobs to see what I like in life. Looking for a yearly job so I can’t get laid off. Love RG

Want to know more about The Wine Group?

Ask a question
Negative experiance
Operations (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAApril 19, 2018
Your training will be minimal at best. After that you are left to our own devices. A lot. Be prepared to work 10-12 hours most days. Often working 6 days. The focus on being "lean" means you are usually way over tasked, especially for the pay scale. I'm sure that not every position is like this so do as much research as you can. Go with your gut.
Pros
Wine sales and free tastings!
Cons
Poor work-life balance, lack of hands on training and development.
Never had a job like this one.
Master Machine Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAApril 16, 2018
Managers and supervisors forever changing. Only wanting to do minimal repairs on equipment. Company tends to screw over employees due to being union and wanting union out.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor Management Ideas
great job the commute was to far away
Maint manager asistance/maint depart clerical (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 22, 2018
great job that i considerd a start of a career but after a year the commute was to far away for me to make a living wage at the position i was in and i was putting more miles on my car and wear and tare than i was making to keep up with it financaily
Pros
great work place and company
Cons
distance
great summer job
Sugar tester/ seasonal (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAMarch 1, 2018
loved working every summer for 3 years as a sugar tester loved most of the staff worked with besides new supervisor, he wasn't clear for certain tasks or expected tasks not in your job to be down overall was great summer job and learning experience
Pros
milage pay, raise in pay every year great hours
Cons
short term work
The Wine Group
Customer Service Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAFebruary 26, 2018
The best thing about this job was the free wine! Not sure if they still do that or not. The pay is pretty competitive. They have multiple locations and positions at this company.
Negative
Shipping (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAJanuary 29, 2018
Its a revolving door, poor Healthcare. Managers only care about themselves. they arent organized at all, will tell you one thing then the next minute it will be something else. drafting is ridiculous.
bottling was a great department
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAJanuary 24, 2018
i had a good experience at the wine group..miss it..alot of overtime with was a good thing...pay is good...loved working with management,and foreman...i learned a lot ...thanks to everyone
Temporary Rework Team Member (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 15, 2018
The environment is peaceful workers have good communication with each other. If there’s a problem we solved it as a team. You don’t work alone everone helps each other. We have good safety rules.
Learn quick
Intern (Former Employee) –  Ripon, CAJanuary 2, 2018
A lot of what I learned I had to do by myself, but it really put me into the shoes of a real engineer and what would be required of me. It also taught me the complexity of the wine industry. The only negative part was that I was left to my own devices with no directions a few to many times.
Old facility but great place to work at.
General Wine Worker (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Soledad, CA 93960December 26, 2017
Everyone is given a task and for the most part you get to do something different every day. Although everyone is working on their assigned job, if one asks for help, they will gladly do so. Management is very understandable and they don't breath down your neck.
Pros
moderate pay, fast pace, good environment, good coworkers, and discount of wine.
Cons
old facility, machinery is worn, motion sensor lights do not work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Wine Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight