The Woda Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

2.3
Ratings breakdown
The new office is quite nice
Construction division, corporate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 20, 2018
My impression as a new hire is that Woda has had poor employee morale in the past and is actively working to fight that, with a new ESOP structure in 2018, and perks like 50% paid-for gym memberships and a masseuse coming to the office. I can't speak to the experience of property managers, who work on-site, but I have had a wonderful experience being based out of the Columbus headquarters. I have teammates who are happy to help. People talk and joke throughout the day while being professional. You're free to put on headphones/shut your office door and not engage if you want to. I'm not micromanaged but am given enough guidance and resources. People used to being micromanaged might find this to be disorienting, however. Woda has paid for my online continuing education courses and offers (lengthy but worthwhile) in-office learning sessions about green building best practices and other relevant topics. Note that no approached me suggesting I take these online courses -- I took the initiative.

The vertically-integrated nature of the company (development, construction, and property management working in the same office, with PCI, the architecture firm, one floor below) creates an open, communicative environment. People will typically walk across the office and just ask someone from another division a question, rather than going through a formal process. I've worked in an office environment where everyone was off in their own pod, doing their own task, and this isn't like that. I work in construction, but had a suggestion for the development division, and it was listened
  more... to and tested for feasibility.

The number of PTO days (12) isn't remarkable, but the management is understanding about half-days that might be needed, and will let you make up the time, rather than using PTO hours. I haven't encountered pressure to work overtime. (Your experience may vary, depending on which team you're on.) You may be required to travel, depending on your position, but hotels, food, and travel are fairly and efficiently comped. There are many new hires and a new office, so the company culture may feel a less personal with so many new people. I feel that there is good opportunity for me to advance -- even across divisions while staying at the Columbus HQ -- based on my conversations with managers and during the hiring process, but only time will bear out whether that's the case.
Pros
adjustable sitting/standing desks, professional coworkers, continuing education, free healthy snacks
Cons
pay is average, some travel required
Very bad management
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 27, 2018
Do not apply for this company unless you want to be treated like a doormat. They lie and cover up things. They play the blame game. They just suck all around.
April 24, 2018

I'm sorry your experience at Woda Cooper was not a good one. Would you be able to email any details so that we can look into the situation and ensure everyone is being treated properly? Thank you.

-Woda Cooper Companies

don't work here
Accounts Payable Accountant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43215March 15, 2018
If you read the other reviews you'll say...it can't be that bad, right? But it is... We moved to a beautiful location, but the only thing that changed was the carpet...
April 24, 2018

I'm sorry your experience at Woda Cooper was not a good one. Is there anything that can be done to improve he experience for current or future employees? Please, email us to let us know. Thank you.

-Mike Collins
Woda Cooper Companies
info@wodagroup.com

No team work, no training, hostile work environment
Worker (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 20, 2018
Little Training , to non existent. Sometimes I felt like I was in high school with some behavior I witnessed. Talking down to employees is nonproductive but when you talk to residents the same horrid way, you’ve definitely got some issues going on. Any successful company needs strong team work, sorely lacking here unless backstabbing is a “thing”. If you can do anything else, do it. This is not a people place to work. They should encourage team work not encourage the opposite. Corporate needs to pay attention to what goes on in the field, a strong company needs a strong foundation, they do NOT have that. I’d give no stars if it were an option most levels.
Pros
At a loss other than a pay check
Cons
Poor to no training, I keep seeing this on here so nothing changed
April 24, 2018

I'm sorry your experience at Woda Cooper was not a good one. We try to be extremely team-focused but occasionally we fall short. I would love any notes you may have on your time at Woda Cooper to incorporate them into new training and policies.

In addition, in terms of training and customer service, we have recently added some new staff and policies to make things smoother for both residents and employees.

I would love your thoughts on your time here to help us continue to grow. If you have a moment, please email me. Thank you for your feedback.

-Mike Collins
Woda Cooper Companies

awful place to work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 21, 2017
This company has zero training, poor compensation and upper management treat you poorly. The "home office" staff treat the property managers like they do not even matter, almost like they're dumb and their opinions don't matter. They expect you to do several pointless reports daily, so many that you cant get anything else done. They wont let you spend money on the apartment complex because they have such a strict budget, even though over half the apartments have disgusting carpet. BUT.... The owner will gladly elaborate about how rich he is, drives a range rover and owns a private jet.
Cons
everything
great place to work
On-Site Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 18, 2017
loved the amount of training you get, the continuing education and the care that given when you ask a question. The hardest part of the job was learning all the new pieces in yardi. Most enjoyable was the yearly company get together and training.
Pros
appreciated
Cons
sometimes stressful
Horrible Uninviting Environment
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHDecember 17, 2017
I worked as a temp and it was a very strange environment. No one ever said hello, just strange. I also had to speak....even people that sat across from me each day I worked. The man that I was hired to work under moved on to another position not long after I got there. He was one of the only kind persons I encountered there. A new lady took his place and she was awful. Even though I was in the position, she told me that I had no better chance of getting the position than anyone else that applied off the street. She was very rude like so many other people there. Also, while I agree that people should eat healthy, it should be a choice. They had nothing but healthy food in the vending machines and the owner fired anyone that smoked. Just a odd place. I would NEVER want to work in such an environment. I left there and never looked back.
Pros
Paycheck -- flexible hours
Cons
Everything...rigid cold work environment
Pass on this one....
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 21, 2017
You are nothing to them! All they want is moneyand more money...right or wrong you are only a work slave, no value, your rights as a human being does not exist. They do not support you ...demand more from you and they will fire you for no reason...do not work for this company...your worst nightmare. Talk behind your back and treat you awful!!
Pros
Cons
Uncaring of their employees
Management and HR
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHOctober 12, 2017
Not a good place to work. Management is unprofessional with staff, set you up for failure. HR doesn't like people nasty attitude rude. Diversity is a problem.
Benefits
Cons
Everthing
Pass this one up and save yourself a headache
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 1, 2017
Your job here will never be secure. You are replaceable and told this regularly. Watch out for promotions because you will be subject to having your job taken away or eliminate your position. You are humiliated and talked down to often. This company only cares about the money not their employees.
The owners talk to everyone about personal business and know about fraudulent things going on. They encourage falsely making applicants qualify for housing.
The HR dept is not trustworthy and repeats all personal business. They also don't talk to you like a valued employee.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Huge responsibility
Very sketchy company with bad culture
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 8, 2017
This company may seem like a good place to work, due to it helping develop low income housing communities, but it does this by cutting all corners and paying employees low. Would not want to live in one of these developments and did not feel good about what we were doing.
I'd work there again
Residential Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Summersville, WVApril 10, 2017
I have worked for WODA Management on two different occasions.
I would work for them again, if the pay and benefits were right.
But, they do not pay managers well, nor are the benefits great, which is why I left the second time for WV Housing Development Fund.
I opened Oakmont Greene & won an award for Best Lease Up of a Multi-Family Community with 48 apartments.
I was promised an Area Manager position multiple times, but the complexes had not been built, yet.
Then, I received notification that if a complex had under 50 apartments, the manager was to be part-time and they were going to cut my hours in half. At that time, I left the company.
Pros
I like being a property manager
Cons
Pay, Pto, advancement
Job Security
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 25, 2017
For the two years I worked for Woda, I only had a Property maintenance Person for six months, Overworked and underpaid Training Program does not exist. Their philosophy is to hurry up and fill the units regardless of the persons history so they do not loose their tax credits. They do not care about the tenants opinon not caring about what they want. Management has there picks, and they talk down to employees.
Pros
Regional Manager was great
Cons
They will kick you when you are down
Construction/Home Repair
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJuly 10, 2016
This company provided no training, expected you to know exactly what was going on and do the job with no supervision. I can handle a job with no supervision, but can not handle it with no training.
Cons
No training, expectations to great with no communication
Good people, Needs organization
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Downtown Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2015
Good people to work with. Going through a rough time, CFO just left and President took over. Need policy and procedures for all of the job functions. No training. Hard to find answers.
Incredibly poorly managed
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  West Union, OHApril 27, 2015
Training to do an extremely difficult job is 1 1/2 days at the corporate office where you'll recieve a binder filled with information you don't understand and words and lingo you've never heard before that you'll be expected to absorb during a bullet point series of power point presentations that are shoved diwn your throat at Mach 5 speed. Within a week or two you'll start getting threatening emails from accounting & compliance about reports & budgets, then you're upper management will jump down your throat for those and other reports that, keep in mind, you don't know how to do and nobody is coming to help you. You'll also likely get HUD violations and won't know what do do about them. You'll also get to spend hours, days weeks, on new tenant move in files that don't get approved by compliance for petty reasons. Evicting families at or around the holidays and all other times of the year will happen. Turnover is a constant so you should never be under assumption you'll have others to count on for any length if time, also, if you earn a bonus, you probably will never see it. Tenants with roaches, bedbugs & fleas and etc will visit your office exposing you.
Pros
Work alone in an office
Cons
Lack of training, lack of support, low pay
Great place-Low wages
Property Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHFebruary 26, 2015
Great place to work for, but cannot pay their employees what they deserve. Raises are super low, and they cannot thank their employees. Too many big headed people. They show their employees that we are no one.
Pros
Work on your own
Cons
Very low pay for well experienced people
I worked for this company on 2 different occassions
Residential Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaver, WVAugust 5, 2014
Woda Management is a good company to work for.
I started my management career with Woda Management.
My management team (district & regional directors and the compliance director in the home office) were very approachable and easy to work with.
I was the only person in the office on a daily basis besides the maintenance technician, so I had no other co-workers.
(See resume' for daily duties)
The hardest part of the job was to having to go through the eviction process for residents who were unable to pay their rent.
I enjoyed being able to provide clean, decent affordable housing and to help lower income individuals or couples obtain their first "home".
Pros
This company tought me the LIHTC compliance guidelines
Cons
Very low on the pay scale
Great company to work with
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Main office Westerville, OH - Project in TennesseeJanuary 22, 2014
There a lot of really good people with good personalities and knowledge of the construction business.

I was blessed to be a part of the team and look forward to working within a similar environment in the Charlotte, NC region
Pros
Paid hotel and food allowance, positive corporate atmosphere
Cons
large gaps in development schedules