Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee Reviews

Found 1,780 reviews matching the search See all 2,210 reviews
Massive network; little advancement
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2018
Thermo Fisher's network is massive - nationally and globally. There are so many divisions and areas to work with, which makes the options for applying for a job quite daunting - a good thing, though. It seems like management can play favorites, but I guess that's everywhere. It's important to play your cards right in order to advance further.

The biggest con was compensation - it's quite low compared to the majority of the industry/market in general. Most people are lucky to receive a 1% merit raise each year... It's a bit discouraging considering the many extra hours of work that people put into ensuring their success.
Pros
Network of professionals, opportunities to relocate, benefits, vacation time.
Cons
Compensation, culture can be a bit bureaucratic, too many moving parts involved in the daily job
Inconsistent leadership and culture
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 2, 2018
I have mixed feelings about my experience at the company. On one hand, I had excellent opportunities for growth and interaction with senior executives. On the other hand, my direct colleagues spoke badly about people behind their backs and undermined other colleagues they didn't like, and the department manager condoned the bullying when concerns were raised. Other leaders cultivated much healthier environments and cultures, so your experience really depends on who you work with.
Pros
Being a part of making the world a better place
Cons
Open plan and stressful office environment coupled with long hours and short deadlines
Great if you enjoy Jr. High and unrealistic expectations
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 9, 2018
This is a fantastic place to work if you love:
1. Poor upper management
2. Double Standard Philosophy
3. Immature co-workers/peers
4. Unrealistic goal-setting/advancement
5. Expectations of rapid pace with 100% no errors
6. Minimal Raises
7. Vandalism in parking lots- good luck with that- no security cams
8. On your feet all shift (on concrete)
9. Sore fingers/hands from assembling
10. Lack of tools to do the job/outdated computers/etc
11. oh, you do get good PTO...good luck scheduling it during the holidays.
12. Dirty cluttered break room

13. Company matches 401K, there is that.
Pros
pays the bills
Cons
you have to put up with a lot in order to keep your sanity.
Military Style Management, not in a good way
Manager (Current Employee) –  Millersburg, PANovember 24, 2018
This place is very much run as a "do what your told and don't ask questions" kind of operation. Employees' opinions are dismissed. Managers are allowed to treat subordinates very poorly, even verbally abuse them without consequences from local HR or from corporate HR in California. This facility is in a very rural area where good paying jobs are scarce, so overworked and demeaned employees are often forced to endure the toxic environment. It is a mysoginistic, arrogant, and apathetic group that has control over the site. Corporate HR has been made aware of the situation by multiple employees, and have come to visit the site with other top corporate personnel, but they never change anything. They seemingly just go back to California and forget about it. If you don't mind working in a place that will force you to work overtime (illegal in PA), demean you and your work constantly, ignore your suggestions for improvements, and make you dread every day in that place, then this could be a great place for you.
Pros
Competitive pay; nice people on the production floor
Cons
Abusive, cold, military style management team; no work-life balance
Great company with a culture conducive to career advancement
Senior Manager, Strategic Programs (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CADecember 26, 2018
Thermo Fisher Scientific is a company that is great to work for if you thrive in environments with a high degree of autonomy and a culture that supports ambitious independent people. Basically you'll get out of it what you put in. Like many large companies (70,000+ employees) the pace and process for executing on a strategy can be frustrating, however the company operates in a very agile and decentralized manner for the most part. Leadership still has a bit of a small company mentality which is a good thing, in that I always felt very comfortable speaking with the most senior people in the company. Many of these leaders are genuinely supportive of providing career advancement for talented hard working people as well, which is quite refreshing.
Large turnover in management which causes constant changes
Business/Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  North and South CarolinaSeptember 17, 2018
I have had 6 different managers in 8 years at Thermo. This causes constant changes in the way we report and operate. I believe most of the sales team see the force as being unstable because of this. Job security is something employees should not have to worry about especially if they are making or exceeding their goals. A typical work day entails working with channel partners, instrument, life science and chemical partners seeing customers and meetings to discuss strategies and follow up. I also see customers for direct business.
The compensations benefits are very good but its the unstable culture of the company at the regional and national level that is worrisome.
The hard part of the job is trying to keep up with different resources and getting sales numbers on time to review. The easy part is being in front of customers closing business.
Pros
Company car and monthly commissions.
Cons
Not knowing from one day to the other if and when nthere will be new changes.
Clarification
PRESALES SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 1, 2018
In my role, we are not supposed to work overtime, but the reality of my position and small team size is that we have to. Each week I work about 10 hours that I do not get paid for, but it is necessary to adequately support our customers and sales team.

Additionally, we are so micro-managed that we have to report to our team before we take restroom breaks. I need more independence and autonomy to really feel comfortable in a position.

Unfortunately, there is so much competition for upper level positions within the organization, that most new jobs are already filled before the position is announced.
Pros
Great benefits and perks
Cons
Few opportunities for advancement.
thermofisher
Service Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 6, 2018
thermofisher is a company who is gearing towards global markets, they have been making huge changes inside the company and head people are leaving regularly all the time, no advancement opportunities without getting in good with the department you want to work in, it is also very clickish so if you dont fit it then you are treated poorly, people talk to one another like they are nothing and management either has no say in things or dont care how employees treat one another, no overtime is allowed, under staffed, over worked and dont want to pay
Pros
good PTO time
Cons
no overtime, very small raises, benefit checks are ridiculously cut in taxes when given, no room for advancement
Excellent Company
Operations Excellence Manager (Former Employee) –  USAJanuary 14, 2019
This is an outstanding Company with a first rate management team. Excellent career advancement opportunities; team oriented workforce that is striving to be one of the World's Most Admired Companies. They are well on the way to achieving that goal.
Pros
Good benefits, Team oriented, growth focused
Cons
Not many; Can sometimes be stressful, but no more so than any other company
contract employee
Offsite Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 14, 2018
I was a contracted temp-to-hire employee that was praised endlessly, but couldn't get hired permanently because of fiscal concerns. This is a mulit-billion dollar company that is making money, not losing money, so they were getting my hard work at a very cheap price because I didn't receive any benefits. In general I felt used, under-appreciated, and didn't personally enjoy my time there.
Pros
good wage
Cons
poor management; a cold, impersonal environment
newly acquried
Administrator (Current Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 12, 2018
my company was recently acquired by Thermo. This move was originally viewed as a positive but the 1+ year tradition plan has been a disaster. Thermo HR is not equipped to be proactive, constant knowledge overload with no time to understand what is expected of you. Work life balance is not sustainable, resources are scarce and the expectation is that you work longer to accomplish tasks that normally take multiple people to do. HR management is out of touch on what is really needed or done on a day to day basis to keep the business running.
Pros
lots of good systems and processes available
Cons
overload of information, lack of resources, poor work life balance, out of touch managment
To start in the field
Laboratory Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 4, 2019
By no means was Thermo fisher was a good place to work especially for the department I was in. In the manufacturing lab there are deadlines and strict protocols to follow. Hours are long and shifts were difficult to get used to. That being said despite all the tedious things at Thermo the experience did allow me to find other opportunities. So my advice for anyone that accept make sure you are there to gain experience there is little to no room to grow or advance in your career.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Long hours, no career growth, discouraged cross-training, and heavily compartmentalized
TF in Manati has nothing to be proud for...and management is poor
Quality (Current Employee) –  Manatí, PRJuly 3, 2018
The work - life balance is very poor. The compensation is also very poor compare with all the work and effort you put on. Management environment is buddy type. Actually some of recent supervisors were named because of buddy type relations. Almost forgot… if you are a student looking for a practice in TF Manati don't waste your time. They will put you to do secretary work and no real learning experience will be provided. It is definitely a shame that a prestigious company get its image tinted by unworthy management that really doesn't care of its employees….the only important thing is to produce and ship the lots.
Pros
Cons
Work-life balance, under payment, under qualified management, no training at all
great work place, managers, break room, amenities, location
Order Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 15, 2018
Most people at my level must come thru a temp agency to be considered for permanent hire and work thru them for a year before being offered full time employment and benefits with ThermoFisher Scientific. I worked an exclusive job in the order entry department editing some 34,000 orders and working with several specialized order fulfillment systems, I had 2 of the best managers of my entire working career during my time there. They responded well to suggestions for improvements and took action to correct problems in real time.The workplace culture was dominantly pleasant and helpful, my team was very cooperative and agreeable to most changes. The hardest part of the job was learning to be proficient in a system that few others on my team used, but the support I needed was there for the asking. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it could be left behind at the end of the day.
Pros
proximity to the YMCA, spacious well-stocked breakroom, nice office environment and convenient parking garage
Cons
too few people to do the work in my department, people were not replaced when they left
Decent biotech company
Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 27, 2018
This company is good for someone from biotech stream. Software is considered an after thought here. The design is lacking. It is mostly patch work. Since there is very less awareness of SDLC, sometimes unrealistic expectations are set, which lead to many issues.
Promotions are limited to biology stream.
Otherwise, people are decent and the work life balance is good.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Inadequate compensation
A typical day at Thermo Fisher Scientific
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 2, 2018
We the employees at Thermo Fisher Scientific during the day shift. We began the day with physical warm up exercises including full body. The Lead Lab Technician (management) would give short instruction. Then the lab would be at work all together, moving as one body. Each area with the need of one another. The most difficult part of the job was to stay standing from break to break. The best part of the job was learning the calculations with other lab technicians. Therefore seeing the result of the lab all together. I learned the pace of the different labs.
Pros
Several interactive benefits during breaks and a unique breakroom.
Cons
Keep from cross-contamination in the labs
Great company, lousy pay
Transportation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 31, 2018
Thermo Fisher is a great company to work for. Very relaxed environment, plenty of time off, ability to work from home, etc. Unfortunately, as well as the company does each year, they do NOT give pay raises. Ever. Also, no bonus opportunity.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Compensation
Very focused.
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAJanuary 15, 2019
Company focused on product development and product placement in the marketplace. Competitive in their field; the people were great. Lot of support from co-workers and opportunities to work with other TF divisions.
Pros
good salary
Cons
job security
Overall a good workplace environment
SERVICE PRODUCT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Remote - CTOctober 6, 2018
Overall, a good workplace environment.

Very little micro-managing - results oriented.

Always felt free to pursue additional training

Salary was competitive

Management always open to suggestions.

"Customer first" philosophy
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Compensation
Temp Employement
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJanuary 10, 2019
I work at Thermo in a temporary employment capacity. Even as a temp employee, they really made a point to invest in me and help me grow in my career. They make it clear they would like me to stay on in a full-time capacity should a position open up. I love the company culture and feel it is truly driven by its mission.
Pros
Company culture
Cons
Wish they had more employment opportunities so I could stay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thermo Fisher Scientific. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight