Thillens Inc Employee Reviews

enjoyable
Armor truck driver/check cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2019
had to drive an armored truck and went to company;s and cashed their payroll checks, had to handle of money, i like the crew i work with, it was only part time.
Well Where Do I BEGIN? A LOT is to be desired!
ATM Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 23, 2018
Initially, when I first started, things were pretty decent until a change in routes. The problem that REALLY occurred is when I started requesting combos stop after stop for multiple ATMs I service on a day-to-day basis. I normally call to request them, but half the time, I've been placed on hold, especially when I have called the Chicago Branch. Speaking of the Chicago branch, there is one woman who would answer the phone when it comes to dispatching combos and she would act rude and extremely unprofessional, especially on NUMEROUS occasions whenever she puts me on hold. NEVER before have I experienced this amount of miscommunication and terrible organization from any establishment.

The work-life balance is another issue with this organization. Considering the company has been shorthanded as of recently, it is creating extra work for other employees. Some, like myself, have worked combined routes.

Problem #3 - Techs work their routes alone...VERY RISKY

Problem #4 - I have had bad experiences with my pay recently. I didn't get paid one week and there's been other occasions when my paycheck was inaccurate. Let's face it: I am a prime example of being overworked and undervalued as an employee.

Work at this establishment at YOUR own risk.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
No breaks in between, risky occupation
Fun place to work in the beginning
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 18, 2018
Coming into this job you would think everything is peachy. After the first couple of weeks your will notice that its a mad house. Managment sucks, half the time they dont know what they are doing, they expect you to clean up they're mistakes, they continuously mess up your check even if you're salary and the whole place is very segregated. I wouldnt recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
You can carry a gun
Cons
Managment, constantly mess with your check and forces you to wait, over work you for little pay
Absolutely Terrible
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2018
In the 80+ years this company has been in existence, they have yet to learn one of the most important tenets of business: Foster a culture of respect. From middle management to executives, the encouraged method of treating employees as incompetent and disposable has ultimately caused talent to leave without looking back. Discipline is often conducted publicly and morale is consistently at its lowest. The culture at Thillens is best defined by the scores of employees on their phones looking for new jobs. This seems to be the norm across all branches.

Thillens boasts of complete transparency and honesty, which is laughably inaccurate. Pay, job position, and schedule are subject to change without notice, discussion, or logic. Employees are demoted or moved on a whim and pay is continuously fluctuating based on the company’s financial needs.

Micromanagement has proven to be an inconsistent and chaotic way to run a company of this size, yet, for the executives, it appears to be the only tool in the shed. Instead of incentivizing out-of-the-box thinking and continuing education/training, employees of all positions are left to fall back on the ineffectual and BRIEF training they received at the start of employment.

There is a constant conflict between what is communicated by HR, what is written in the handbook, and what is practiced at the branch level. Inaction from HR against violation of policy and law is both inappropriate and disappointing.

All in all, Thillens has demonstrated time and again they do not care for their most valuable asset: Their workforce. Employees
  more... are viewed as dispensable overhead and Thillens will continue to experience high turnover and never reach the results-driven culture they strive for.  less
Pros
None.
Cons
Management, benefits, work-life balance
not the place for me
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 13, 2018
Job is not how they made it sound in the interview. You can expect to work about 60 hours a week with no overtime pay due to the pay structure being per stop commission. The health insurance is very expensive. It is a fun job at times but monotonous and unorganized most days
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Pay structure, bad equipment don’t know what hours you will work till half way through day
Fun job, company not so great
Route manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 5, 2018
I worked here for a few years when I started we made good money that made the long days, and office politics worth it. After a a year or two the pay started to go down without reason. You are not paid by the hourly are paid per stop. This wasn’t bad at first when we could see throughout the day how much we had made at each stop the system updates they made took this away so we could not see how much we would make. At the end we split the pay among the crew but this would not reflect how much we get on our weekly check.

They offer health insurance but it was extremely expensive and most of us could not afford to get it from the company.

This is a fun job to do no day is ever the same thing.l and no desk job, however it got to a point where it wasn’t worth the money, stress and time away from my family. Let alone putting your life on the line carrying large amounts of valuable currency.
Pros
Weekly pay, vacation time
Cons
Non transparent pay, hard to use PTO time, poorly maintained trucks with no ac or heat, Managment will not hear any feedback or ideas from crews.
Terrible
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hudson, WI. Peoria, ilOctober 3, 2018
The most horrible 1 1/2 years spent trying to see the good in this company everything is broke and management is terrible. And they dont pay you right
Cons
They have bonuses but you will never get one unless your management
Potentially Long Hours for Low Pay
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2018
Working at Thillens is great in the beginning, a lot to learn and lots of different responsibilities, however, the experience can quickly turn into long hours, poorly planned routes and little pay.
Sr. Management does not know or does not care about their associates
Licensed Video Terminal Technician (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 9, 2018
If they had a clue, people would not be treated like this. They do not even take care of their vehicles, and that is their bread and butter. Schedules are not known until you walk into work. It could be a 4 hour day, or it could be 14. You are not paid by the hour, you are paid by the "stop", and some days not every stop you make gets you paid. The state f Illinois should investigate these guys.
Pros
The other "victims" you work with are mostly nice people just trying to make a living.
Cons
There are too many to itemize.
Not the place for me
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Slinger, WIMarch 5, 2018
Wasn't a fan of working 70+ hours a week. They pay was less than the add said. Most of what they were talking about was a bonus most people.dont quality for due to strict demands. Over all the time away from my kids wasn't worth it. Is a fun job but the politics in management don't help you advance in the company. Very much a good old boys club.
Pros
Some kind of health insurance if you can call it that
Cons
Hours and pay do not add up.
Good experience. Wouldn't recommend
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Slinger, WIMarch 4, 2018
Good experience getting into security field. Really long days and the pay is not consistent. Fun job when the day goes good. Lack of decent benefits Is the biggest turn off. The ones they offer are expensive. All in all good short term gig. Wouldn't stay there for a long term job.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Hours, benefits, pay changed alot
Hudson branch is terrible
Armored Guard (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIMarch 4, 2018
Firing people for 1 mistake and not properly training was an issue at the Wisconsin branches.. terrible leadership and when I started worked 22 hours in a day and was expected to be at work 3 hours later.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Bad leadership and terrible ceos
Terrible.
ARMED GUARD & ROUTE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2018
It was okay when I started but quickly went downhill after they acquired new management, fired key players, and decided to make drastic changes to routes and crews. You're on these dusty, outdated, unreliable trucks all day, risking your life for, what is close to, minimum wage. Pay is based off commission (small percentage split between route personnel and route manager usually takes biggest chunk) so you only get paid once you make your first stop and once your last stop is made. Not for the long drives and time spent loading and unloading the trucks (which is a majority of your day). Seniority means nothing. The only way to get a raise is to become a route manager. You do learn how to service/troubleshoot ATMs and gaming terminals.
Pros
Discounts for being mistaken for CPD, Co-workers, Getting your foot in the door for gaming and ATM service.
Cons
Long days, Trucks, Pay, Management
Glad I left when I did used to be a good place
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 27, 2018
Used to make great money back when I started, got cut a lot and the bonus is always taken away from us with no control over it like they say. Hours can be good at times but then something big happens (new customers, lots of people quit) and they days can be 15+ hours. They always pay on time but are not transparent with it. Every 5-6 months Chicago comes up to give a speech/ sales pitch on how we should stay with the company and what new things are coming, never once anything come true. The worst time was when we had people crashing there personal cars driving home from working a 24+ hour day.
Pros
Always paid on time, good team members to work with
Cons
Unstable company
Thillens in Chicago has gone downhill
Armed Guard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2018
Well I worked at Thillens for over a year and the only good thing was the weekly pay , to be honest. Management at the Chicago location was changed and it went downhill from there, changes were made left and right. Lack of communication. No PTO time. Bonuses don’t happen. Everything just changed here and not for the good.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Healthcare too expensive, no PTO
Work Hard and you will see the benifit
Choose not to say (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 15, 2018
I have worked for Thillens for almost 2 years. I have seen many ups and downs just like any other company. Overall I feel like this is a great company to work for. Managment with in the Madison Branch is open and honest and communicate well with eachother and their employees. There can be long hours and rough days but that is any company. For only needing a high school diploma and clean background, you make good money if you work hard.
Promotions are given due to hard work not just because someone has seniority.

Bonuses have been lacking unfortunitly but they are just that, BONUSES. When bonuses are given, they are great. Wish upper managment was more consistant on these but that does not fall on the Branch managment.

The benefits package is very much lacking but this is a smaller company. In my opinion, that needs to be taken into account.

This is the most transparent company I have ever worked for. My overall opinion of Thillens Madison is that it is a great company to work for if you are hard working and willing to put in a true effort.
Pros
Bonuses when paid, weekly pay, decent pay
Cons
Some days are long and stressful
Very risky job
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Slinger, WIFebruary 6, 2018
Recently there has been a lot of blaming us route crews on stuff. It's a great job of you wanna get a full body serch every day, or the cops called. The company is not very trusting of it's staff. Also have a camera ponited in your face every second of every day. Management will make fun of you for stuff you do can be a very hostile work environment.
Pros
Paychecks every week, out and about no desk job
Cons
Mostly everything
Best thing about Thillens was the route personnel I met while on the job
Route manager (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJanuary 13, 2018
Thillens is constantly going through transition phases, and not always for better. Pay rates have changed several times almost without warning. The days are long and management will say they will work to shorten them but it never happens. If the day does get shortened you will lose pay because it's commission based. Management seems lost and the experience that was there when I was is now gone, so correct knowledge of the job is not being passed down to trainees. Thillens really is a sink or swim type of job, and all you would get is a "good luck out there" from management.
Pros
Can't think of much other than weekly pay and meeting different people
Cons
Unfortunately there are many, lack of real training, management has no leaders and have been caught in lies, management will show favoritism and will threaten everyone else's job, long hours with no OT, trucks look good from the outside but the mechanics and maintenance program is a joke, constantly understaffed... The list could go on.
check out loomis or garda
Route Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 31, 2017
pay has dropped over %50 in the last year. management will find any excuse to take away your bonus, i work anywhere from 12-18 hours a day, company does not pay overtime you are commission based with an hourly minimum. they are very clear that you do not get paid OT or holiday pay, this was made clear this before this holiday season with a memo. Stated that we are commission and should not expect to get paid holiday pay if we think we are entitled to holiday pay we can "submit our two weeks". staffing is kept so that if anyone is sick or actually can get off your days can go into the 15+ hour range.
Pros
fun work
Cons
bad management in chicago, unclear how we get paid or if we get all we should. NO over time ever.
Very fast pace , and good if your looking for a weekly check
Armored Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2017
Good if your looking to get paid every week . But you got work hard . It's very fast pace and heavy work . You got be very alert all times . Because your handling cash and services banks and atms , video gaming .
Pros
Good if you want a weekly pay check and work experience as a armor truck driver
Cons
Very heavy work and they work you like a Slave you will be putting in lot of hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thillens Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

1.8