Thomas

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose

work on your own and develop your own leads. no help from NY

Great company when I started. New president and managers only care about the bottom line and not client relationships. More of a tech company now with no personality. Used to be the number 1 industrial marketing company. Not now

Pros

Work time and place flexibility

Cons

No corporate lead generation

A rare high-growth oasis in midst of all the chaos in the world

Don't get fooled by the fact that Thomas has 120+ years of history - it is one of the most progressive, diverse, and wholesome companies I have ever worked for. I have over 15 years of experience working in tech, product, and marketing. I chose Thomas because they care about creating jobs and opportunities for the manufacturing sector, and their business model values the experience of users from both sides of the market. It's not a huge company, give or take 300 staff, but that's a great number of colleagues that you can collaborate and learn from, while still having the intimacy of a working family. I also love its mix of people from different backgrounds and age groups - a truly diverse - from plenty of Gen Z all the way to some awesome boomers. I'm a little worn out by some outright ageism in other tech companies that champion 'being woke' but actually never hire 50+ talents. I'm a millennial myself and value true diversity. I also love how Thomas has transformed itself from a publisher to a true data and tech company. The leadership is full of great minds and kind people. It's not easy to find a company like this good in this day and age. I'm very happy we crossed paths.

Pros

Innovation, Autonomy, Diversity, Flexible Working, Career Paths

Cons

Would be nice if we have more technical resources.

company abandons you with no management to speak of

Company has had a merry go round of sales directors no continuity of management. Terrible follow up and no real understanding that the customer buys the rep first then the company. You do not own the accounts you sell, the company does and can take accounts from you any time they want. You simply rent the accounts. No state leaders in person in management to help. You are a contractor with not benefits at all except your draw which can be changed anytime the feel like it.

New business model We had a fun small office

This was all internetsales to industry and manufacturing businesses. Unlike my other sales jobs I dealt with engineers and CEO,s. My manager was from Verizon and brought me in when he opened this office. It was mostly cold calling. The sales process was involved. We were global and the hardest part of the job was learning the many aspects of a good website to create for our prospective client. It was a great learning experience. Unfortunately the business only lasted a few years. I was offered a 1099 position when it closed but declined. The office that wanted me was on the Rhode Island border and a very long commute.

I like working at Thomas, it's pretty flexible.

It's a family oriented company therefore they are pretty flexible here. They organize great parties and meetings to boost employees moral. It's a friendly environment to work in.

Pros

Flexible, free breakfast sometimes.

Cons

Healthcare could be improved

Job seekers rely on your experience.

worked from home for last 12 years

Check emails first thing, then execute plan for the day which is a combination of prospecting phone calls and emails. If I had meetings I would do research before the meeting to be well prepared. I would visit customers at their place of business and speak with owner or marketing person and learn more about the company, what it does, challenges it is experiencing and goals that want to obtain. I then do research about what their marketing needs were and how much traffic it thomasnet.com for their products. Then I would tailor a plan of action and set up a follow up meeting. Often I would invite one of my engineers to help on the call via phone. Present a solution to the customer and close the deal. Follow up with sending a contract for marketing within Thomasnet.com Follow up with the customer and plan a meeting to ramp up our services and how they can populate their own profile page. Submit contract to Thomasnet.com corporate via docusign.

Pros

My own boss

Cons

no telemarketing support or management support.

Thomas is a good company to work for.

Overall, Thomas is a good company. Good product and decent support. They've hired a new CEO, who appears to be making the company even better in some ways, but other aspects are tracking towards the negative.

I developed the art of persuasion

During my time at Thomas Net I enjoyed the dual benefits of team work and autonomy. My boss was a compassionate person who understood the challenges of all day cold-calling, and this made him effective at boosting team morale and drive. Group "pep talks" and one-on-one sessions to help me make individual improvements were perks that I treasured. Under his oversight I came to value the qualities of a true leader. I gradually learned that the ability to persuade is a combination of being a good listener and an effective problem-solver.

Cons

Little room for growth

Lots of freedom and support

This was a great company to work for, however, it was a commission based sales position and ultimately I determined that was not for me. They provided a lot of support and rewards.

Great products but the culture has really changed

A ton of new management has been brought in. While I see value and like some of them, I have seen a shift in behavior and not in a good direction. I see another round of layoffs coming this year. It happens yearly and it is a real shame.

Pros

Staff is full of young creatives

Cons

terrible benefits and work life balance

Jobs at Thomas

See more jobs

Review of Thomasnet: Great place to work -- work hard!

Have been here for more than five years and have really enjoyed my time here. The toughest part at the beginning was learning the ins and outs of manufacturing, but we have an entire team of engineers to help train and support employees. Those who work hard and come to the table with new ideas can progress quickly. But like any place to work -- always pros and cons. Easy commute being across the street from Penn Station!

Pros

Growth potential, great people

Cons

No 401 match (although heard that might change)

Contributing Editor for Major Advertiser

This was a work at home job that was very enjoyable. Worked at own pace but had defined deadlines.Wrote product descriptions and company profiles for a wide variety of industries based on their on-line content.

poor work place

thomasnet is a poorly ran organization. it doesn't allow folks to bring their expertise to the table while otherwise shutting down any ideas that would help benefit the organization. there isn't any career advancement and the sales team wasn't properly compensated for the work they put in

Pros

getting out for 4th of july

Cons

stressful environment

Manufacturing Marketing

Management is constantly shifting, but depending on the group you work with, it can be great. Marketing specifically in the manufacturing space is more interesting than it sounds.

Fast Moving Call Center Environment

Made 100+ outbound dials / day Mainly (90%) Prospected for New Business Accounts and Managed a book of business. Cross / Up-Sell opportunities. They pay very well (base + commissions). Both are the highest I've seen for a role similar to this.

Great People at a Stable Company

This was a great internship. I was treated as an important part of the team, and my input was valued. While it was great to be treated like a real contributor, occasionally my supervisor forgot that I was also a full-time student! They push you to do your best, however, and to be a professional.

Overall, a good, fun place to work. Thomas is over 100 years old and they offer a good product to businesses. They offer good solutions for USA businesses.

This was a great experiance

Thomasnet is a people centric communication company . They are on the cutting edge of the B@B advertising industry. My 18 years there were rewarding an fulilling

Great First Job

ThomasNet is great for people who just graduated college to begin their careers. The salaries aren't high, but the work environment is fun and the work load is very light. Management tends to be filled with people who are unqualified, but well liked by their superiors.

Execellent enhancement of job skills with learning new jobs skills.

I really liked this job for I loved interacting with clients, responding to their concerns and needs along with the work the job entailed in general was rewarding.

Pros

Working with clients with ability to troubleshoot for them with technicians.

Cons

Didn, t last as long as I had hoped.

Great place to learn and grow

Thomas has an excellent team of bright and talented people. Alot of opportunity to learn new skills. You learn to be very self driven and motivate. I would recommend young people looking into this as a first place to work out of college as you get alot of good exposure by cross departmental project work. Good luck!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thomas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

1.8
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
1.5Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight
  • Thomas
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?