Thompson Hine LLP Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Talent Management
Talent Management (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 3, 2018
Overall, the firm has a lot of great people that work there. The culture of the firm is friendly and outgoing. I always enjoyed working with staff and the attorneys. They are always having social events and donating money for good causes. Depending on what dept you’re in, socializing is of upmost importance. Meaning, it does not matter how strong your work is or how much you take on additional work - playing the corporate social game will get you further along here with an average to below average work ethic. So being an extrovert is a plus.

The Talent Management dept has many intelligent people. However, the dept is run like a dictatorship with only one person basically calling all the shots and this person is not the head. Middle managers are not allowed to even manage their own people with autonomy. During my time there, I had 6 different managers in a frame of two years. Furthermore, there are 2 managers per support staff. Just ridiculous. If you are looking for a position in this dept and expect to stay here long, DO NOT APPLY. Promotions, there are none, and despite the many times the department was restructured (e.g., my job description changed 4 times in 2 years), no one ever received a pay increase or appropriate title change.

It’s just a bad move to make period. You can’t work from home, don’t be a minute late or else, you can’t listen to music with headphones as you work, and everyone walks around on eggshells. People are treated like children and micromanaged to death. I wouldn’t advise applying for a position in this department until someone new takes lead
  more... over that department and makes drastic changes to keep talent on that team.  less
Pros
Free leftovers from lunch And a nice modern office is all I can Think of
Cons
Non exempt staff cannot work from home, no flexibility, you pay for your own parking between $8-15 per day, no tuition benefit, prescription costs are included in high deductibles, Micromanagers
What a great place to work!
Legal Medical Records Litigation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 20, 2018
Thompson Hine was one of the best companies I ever worked for. The folks I worked with were fantastic, from the top to the bottom. I learned alot working there. Everyone was helpful, and the pay was very fair. I'd love to work for Thompson Hine again.
Pros
Many incentives, great people, good pay
Cons
I only worked Temporary/Contract here
Great Law Firm
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 19, 2018
Fast paced atmosphere throughout the firm. Lawyers were friendly. Benefits were good. Staff events were enjoyable. I learned a lot of different legal areas and was not limited to just one type of law.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, 401k/profit sharing, Vacation/Sick Time.
Cons
Long hours, mismanagement by certain managers.
The department I was in was like a family.
Word Processing / Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 29, 2018
Work was sorted by time and you picked up a job (document) depending of the time requirement. Revised as marked and did an operator review. Returned to work bin for a second review by another word processing operator. Sometime I floated as an evening secretary for bankruptcy practice group, real estate practice group or where there was a need for a floater secretary.
Pros
None.
Cons
None.
Desktop Support Technician
Desktop Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 17, 2018
My role was desktop support for anything a user called for. It could be from setting up equipment to explaining how to put page numbering on a Word document.
HRIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2018
Very professional friendly atmosphere, work/life balance. Lots of perks and jean days. Thompson Hine is always working with local charities to raise money.
Great team of partners and associates to work with.
LITIGATION PARALEGAL (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 19, 2018
The work at TH was so compelling, that I became a workaholic quite easily. My efforts were recognized with praise frequently (probably to encourage the overtime) which created a positive attitude in working with the team.
Pros
Paralegals were highly regarded and well-trained.
Cons
There was no room for advancement.
Decent place to work
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 7, 2018
Was a decent place to work, but a very political environment and limited growth opportunity. Users can be very demanding and there is little assistance from management to set user expectations.
Pros
Good vacation and pay
Cons
Limited growth potential, political
Family-like relationships amongst many co-workers, professional atmosphere
Court Runner (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHJanuary 4, 2018
Thompson Hine seems to be a place where, (in my experience personally), the employers care about the employees. Benefits are excellent. Café/break room with snacks available. Neat, clean offices. (Firm just moved to a new building a few years ago.) Don't care for my wages much but I believe it's fair for this kind of work. I do not at all believe that I am being underpaid. Also people seem to be treated with respect here.

The best court runner experience I have had, and I've been a runner for three other firms. Would recommend!
Pros
Friendly, courteous and professional people.
Cons
My pay and just simply weary of the legal field. Want to move on...
Only great if you have great managers - I did not
A nobody (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 9, 2017
If you want to work for managers that have gotten caught talking about you behind your back then this place is for you! Great culture, but you have to be lucky enough to land a great department.
Cons
Clique-y managers
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 9, 2017
Management should improve on coaching and developing their staff and engage them into the large picture so everyone is singing the same song. I like to be trusted and take charge of my assigned duties and not be micro-managed.
Pros
Salary is not bad.
Cons
No room for leadership. Just do what you are told.
Great Place to work but lots of stress
Systems Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 25, 2017
Great Place to work but lots of stress. I really dont need to type a review about this yet it seems to be mandatory so here I am typing until I meet the minimum character requirement.

Its a fine place to work but too much politics that impedes on quality of service.
Pros
Great Place to work but lots of stress
Cons
Great Place to work but lots of stress
Great place to work!
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 17, 2017
There is no "typical day at work" and I think most employees of any firm would say the same.

I have learned that hard work earns great rewards.

Management is overall in tune with employee needs.

Workplace culture is best I have ever experienced.

Hardest part of the job is at times the work load can be overwhelming but there is always help just a call or email away.

The most enjoyable part of the job is there are many, many perks and events for employees to enjoy. Those are the fun aspects. The serious aspects are this firm offers in-house educational opportunities not available in many other firms. They wish for their employees to succeed instead of leaving them to flounder.
Pros
Pay, benefits, free programs related to healthy living. stress relief, etc.
Cons
None.
LEGAL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 28, 2017
Thompson Hine is a good place to work if you like to be challenged and pushed to industry standards. There is no room for advancement unless you have a college degree.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too many administrators
Law firm intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 3, 2017
Thompson Hine LLP was one of the most interesting jobs I ever had, I learned so much while being an intern. I loved the work environment everything was run very smoothly and the coworkers were respectable, I never thought I could learn how to file, and enter data into a computer that fast and complete as much as I did.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Quiet
No security
Contract Attorney (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 30, 2015
Lacked security in position, under-payed, couldn't make ends meet. Generally like the people I've worked with, work is fine - not great - just no security.
Would not suggest
Professional Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 23, 2015
In my opinion, the Firm represents themselves very differently from what they are truly about. There is no work/life balance, pay is below average, and benefits are awful.
Nice Law Firm
Staff Attorney (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioJune 16, 2015
Nice law firm environment. High billable hour requirement. I have received good experience here. Nice people, decent culture. Unclear path to promotions.
Not a happy place for staff
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2015
The culture in this firm is very outdated, the staff positions offer no room for growth and there are no merit-based incentives. The secretarial staff who have worked at the firm long term are older and unhappy, with low skill levels and no desire to learn new things. The office is under staffed in terms of support, and one secretary can be assigned up to 6 attorneys. The main office is in Cleveland and the firm is not up to date in terms of technology and policies, making administrative functions difficult and time consuming. Word processing and office service/mail and copy room support is very poor. Management is rather demeaning towards employees, in that the staff are treated like children. There is little or no opportunity to take on project based work and personal conscientiousness is not acknowledged. If you're a college graduate this is not a job for you.
Pros
ten personal/sick days, affordable health insurance, occassional 15 minute chair massages offered to the entire office
Cons
no merit based raises, no bonuses, no 401K contributions, 3 weeks vacation only after 5 years, no flex time or telecommuting
Great IT team
Practice Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 30, 2014
Thompson Hine has a great work culture. They have a great IT team and management. The lawyers and staff are very professional.
Pros
Great Work Environment