Thompson Hospitality Employee Reviews

Good if you have no idea how the industry works, terrible if you are actually trying to get anything done.
Server/Manager/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 20, 2019
Corporate purposely makes decisions to hurt sales and progress of their stores. All profiting ideas are shot down. Marketing is only used for the brand new concepts, they leave all other stores to come up with their own and are usually shot down because of how busy our ONE marketing person was.

There are a few good apples that made it worth while, but in the long run it's a sinking ship. Spent almost a month in NY working 14hr shifts helping them open a store only for them to use it to justify a very mediocre raise. (I went from non livable wage to sort-of livable) I was always paid lower than my coworkers even if I had more experience and knowledge.

I was forced to come into work even though I was vomiting, then I was ridiculed because they didnt have anyone to cover the store because I was the ONLY manager. In that specific store. Period. And I had to train 2 others in addition to running operations.

They will try and take everything possible from you and if you dont bend to their rules, then you wont go anywhere.
Pros
Nice coworkers, free food, benefits
Cons
No compensation for overtime, over worked, self destructive corporate
Nnnnnbb7h co . carryingI x if x xi Inc y in nd five
Driver/Retail (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 17, 2019
It is ok but not liked. Would not recommend to any one.Looking for another job. Here now leaving soon. Tired of this company. Dont like this company need
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 14, 2019
preparing catering events very mutli tasked. learned a lot about catering assistant manager. Managed catering team as well as catering work study student. Cultural very diverse. Working late was the hardest part and waking up early next day. Enjoyed preparing the events especially faculty and staff lunch.
Pros
Free Lunch
somewhat stressful
Housekeeper/Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Tuskegee, ALMarch 13, 2019
They routinely pitted one employee against another. Pay was not compatible with the demands of the job. the most rewarding part of the job was it's location.
The company seems good but management was my worst nightmare.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 13, 2019
I started first semester as a dishwasher. Second semester i was moved in kitchen and was told i was due a raise. Three semesters passed and i was cook getting paid as an dishwasher. Finally management told me if i didnt like it I could quit.
Pros
I worked at a vegean college. We did have free meals but who eats vegan?
Cons
Management blows it for the company in alabama
Family
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, WVMarch 12, 2019
This work place was amazing, and every one you worked with was basically family to you. Every one was basically close to one another, regardless of how hard our days were.
a typical day at work
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Hamden Sydney, College, VaFebruary 4, 2019
This place is ok for entry level people and for those some experience. Most of the Manager are pretty good to work for. Though some advancement and demotions are sometime bias.
Pros
free meals, health insurance, and piano to play on breaks
Cons
Personnal
Productive place for employment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 29, 2019
Long working days and nights the students are always right. Management are not very well organized and the supervisors runs away good employees with no consequences that's why they stay hiring. You
Pros
It's a job
Cons
No organization
Never Boring; Atnosphere of the job is fun
Manager (Current Employee) –  PAJanuary 27, 2019
Company is consistently changing rules; Schedule is inconsistent; Pay for hourly employees is bare minimum- hard to find and retain employees; Potential for growth
Pros
Meals at any time, Competitive pay
Cons
Inconsistent schedules; No work/life balance
I Love My Job
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PAJanuary 9, 2019
I Enjoy My Job , I enjoy the my staff and costumers. I have learned alot in the past years. I am ready to evolve in what i love to do ! Im Ready To See New Things And Learn New Things.
Pros
Enviroment
Became a better manager
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Tuskegee, ALDecember 31, 2018
Didn't realize how much I develop until I left the company.
Those long hard days truly paid off. My director really had my best interest and I didn't appreciate it back then, buy now I do. Great company .
Pros
very detail oriented, learn the business, team building
Cons
long days and hours, chaos created by middle / upper management
To many inexperience people in supervisor roles
Head Cashier (team lead) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2018
Not a fun place to work.

To many family members working together.

Management not experienced

Always running out of things.

No place to park.

Small space
failing company
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 19, 2018
I was able to learn a lot about problem solving and thinking on my mind due to the lack of support from my boss. Multiple locations closed down and the company overall seems to be heading in the wrong direction.
Cashier, Line Server, Dining Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 1, 2018
The job overall is good but, in my experience some of the management could be better along with some of the workers. In terms of their work ethic the workers tend to be lazy and or stressed because they have to pick up the slack of the lazy ones.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Limitations to what you can eat
Line Cook
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VANovember 29, 2018
It was an ok job i loved it im a people person you get to meet new people from all over the place I'm very outgoing and I enjoyed my work interacting with all the students at the school and watching a smile on that face while they eat
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Not what I was expecting
Cook (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 30, 2018
Basically the chain of command needs a lot of work they are unsympathetic to any of it’s employees and the way they treat them as well as the cleanliness of their work areas
Pros
Working with the students and providing them with good food
Cons
Belittling staff in front of others
Dysfunctional
Regional Executive Chef, Compass Group (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 29, 2018
In my opinion, Thompson Hospitality operated in a continuous dysfunctional manner on a daily basis that benefited neither the staff or the organization. I am glad that I had the opportunity to move on.
good second job
Custodian/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNOctober 11, 2018
it is a good laid back job, but if you will like more hours and have better management you should go elsewhere. sometimes it goes by very quick. but i would like a job that will keep me busy so i can have more hours
Pros
free lunch, laid back
Cons
messy, not professional
Learn to say no
Executive Catering Chef (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 12, 2018
I was the executive catering chef. I left my position do to lack of staff, help and resources to do the job properly. When ask for help I was told it wasn't there and just to make it happen. As much catering as they do you can't even have a staff to back you up. It is always "just make it happen". I've worked catering before and it was nothing like this. They will make changes hours before there party adding stuff you don't have. The add on's was ridiculous with no sense of care to see if we could even do the party. I was also told by upper management when asked for staff that "it's not my problem". The catering department there is like a red headed step child. You get no help support resources nothing. So who ever they get now to do this job just expect you will be working by yourself most of the time.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Everything else
Learned how to work together as a team, washing dishes by yourself, some foul language,,
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 27, 2018
While working at Thompson Hospitality I learned how to work and communicate with others. Dish washing was okay at first but then it became to much. Working with my coworkers and their foul language habits it only made working harder for me because i found myself arguing back and almost getting into altercation with my co-workers.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks