Thornton Tomasetti Employee Reviews

Needs to wok on management structure. Especially the Business Development department.
Business Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2019
Laid back but no structure. A lot of perks for employees. Too big to manage everyone. A lot of people don't do their jobs. Promotions are not earned most of the time.
Overall great place
IT HelpDesk Manager/Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2019
Could not ask for more. Overall really great, exciting, diverse, hardworking, and well educated staff. They strive to build a family feel for the company.
Benefits
Interesting and challenging projects
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 22, 2019
I am a student intern at Thornton Tomasetti in South Florida. I have had the opportunity to work on several interesting projects and really enjoy the workplace culture.
Pros
Very knowledgeably colleagues, flexible schedule
Great Company to work for
Structural Engineering/BIM Modeler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2019
Great Firm to work for.
You get to work with Principles as well as Smart and talented engineers who all believe that collaboration is the way to succeed in this industry.
Pros
Collaborative, Career growth available.
Cons
Lay offs
it was a pleasure
Senior field director (Former Employee) –  NY and NJJanuary 25, 2019
it was very comfort and helpful to build up you career, and gain a good and various experiences, also to have a good chance to increase your knowledge.
Well known building design company growing in other fields
Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
Thornton Tomasetti (formerly the Thornton-Tomasetti Group, Thornton Tomasetti Engineers, Lev Zetlin & Associates and LZA Technology) is a 1,500-plus person engineering consulting firm headquartered in New York City. Founded in 1949 as Paul Weidlinger, Consulting Engineer, the company operates more than 50 offices, serving clients worldwide.

The company has expertise in structural engineering, façade engineering, forensics, renewal, construction engineering, property loss consulting, sustainability, applied science, protective design and transportation. The engineering firm provided the structural design for several of the world's tallest building structures, including the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; and Taipei 101 in Taiwan. Other structures designed by the firm include Soldier Field in Chicago, Petco Park in San Diego, and the Minneapolis Public Library in Minneapolis. Among other architects of note, Thornton Tomasetti has collaborated with Cesar Pelli, Santiago Calatrava, Renzo Piano, and Rafael Vinoly.

Thornton Tomasetti works to advance sustainable design and construction practices. About one-fifth of its staff are LEED accredited professionals (LEED AP). Thornton Tomasetti was the first structural engineering company to sign the AIA 2030 Commitment.[1]

Pros
Engineering diversity
Cons
na
Pros and cons
Analytics and Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
Pros:
Good location
World class projects. Famous skyscrapers throughout the world
A good place to learn quickly at an early career

Cons:
Not well paid
Good place to work until it isn't anymore
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2018
Pretty great benefits and pay with a lot of growing benefits to the workplace culture. Managers are very understanding with time off and flexible work schedule. However, once you hit your peak at your career they have no further advancement for you, nor do they care enough to try and provide you professional development. You won't grow with this company unless you leave and return, which is what most people do. If you aren't an engineer, upper management has no regards for you.
Great place to learn and develop as an engineer
Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 28, 2018
Great place to learn and develop as an engineer. They are a big company, with many qualified people in different areas of structural engineering. Definitely a good place to be at for recent graduates
just a temp
Revit modeler - Structural designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
I was only there for 2 months. I was grateful for the work, it was easy to get to/from. I was obviously brought in to assist in modeling some projects that were short handed. We worked a lot of late hours, and the BIM duties were demanding. I am experienced, and used to working hard, but this was my most difficult yet.
Pros
location
Cons
temp contract
Difficult to advance and high turnover rate
Structures Group Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2018
Either disgruntled entry level engineers (<5 yrs) or associates (>15 yrs) at the company, with most people leaving due to conditions or sticking it out with hopes of rising the ladder faster
Pros
New York
Cons
Environment
Productive and competitive place to work
Manager of Administrative Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2018
Love the company.Very innovative but can be a stressful place to work. Great people, smart, hard-working engineers and architects. My new Manager is too busy to have my back.
Great learning experience!
Structural Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2017
I worked every day for 8-10 hours, hung out with my coworkers during lunch and afterwork, and worked on various projects. The company is social, passionate, and hard working.
A pleasant place to work
Plan Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2017
Working at Thornton Tomasetti has taught me that having clear communication, taking direction, efficiency, and persistence are vital in working in an administrative position.
Pros
Free Lunches, Friendly Staff
Great People -Confused Management
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 28, 2017
Typical day is determined by project/deadline load. Culture is disjointed and communication is poor. Management changed multiple times while I worked there.
Pros
nice people
Cons
Salaries are significantly below industry average
Good working relationships
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 7, 2017
was with company for three years as support staff, given a lot of responsibility. Supported several executives, however when company was ready to change the use of support staff the way it was dealt with somewhat not the best. Overall I would recommend working there but be aware of favoritism and not always employee valued atmosphere. What I did appreciate is I gained long standing working relationships and I was able to use several fellow employees as references after leaving the company due to an eventual layoff.
Pros
Company lunch, annual company picnic, holiday party, location
Cons
Salary, benefits expensive, not always valued
Snr Vice President (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 15, 2016
Busy days with plenty of engaging work. Large corporate structure, but focused on results. Good opportunity to progress.
Challenging and rewarding
Structural Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
Working at Thornton Tomasetti is a challenging and rewarding since I got the chance to work on a large-scale difficult design project.
Interning taught me a lot
Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 16, 2015
This internship provided me with real world engineering insight.
Coworkers were very kind and I learned a lot from them.
I did not enjoy being located in Newark, NJ.
Great Company
Senior Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  NY, NYSeptember 7, 2015
Great Company - Worldwide leaders in Structural Engineering. Very professional organization and great work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thornton Tomasetti. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Thornton Tomasetti Reviews by Location