ThoughtWorks Employee Reviews

Great boutique tech firm
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2018
Very smart. Very innovative. Very open minded people. Dedicated to making the world a better place through technology. Great benefits and cares about their employees.
Pros
Very bright and innovative people
Cons
Work can consume you
Best people i've every worked with!
Senior Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  Full TravelJanuary 29, 2018
I joined ThoughtWorks to be around A+ people and thats exactly what I got. The 100% travel is VERY hard after a couple years, especially if you have a family, but it's totally worth it. Smart, motivated, caring individuals. Driven to change the world, big a small.
Excellent company
Senior Software Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 22, 2017
Great place to work. Very supportive culture. Great people. They really value employees. Very good compensation. Definitely recommend this company to work for.
Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2017
I worked as a software development consultant at for a year and a half for my first job out of college. Great place to work with smart people! I gained a lot of experience working on a wide variety of projects. Just be prepared for a lot of travel!
Growing Company
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
When I was at ThoughtWorks it was a growing company and hiring many people. there were times when maybe the right person was not in the right job, BUT, everyone there was and is very smart. I learned a lot about application integration. Many of the people that I worked with in 2000 are still there today.
Pros
Pay, opportunity, ThoughtWorkers
Cons
Some areas were always insecure about what other areas were doing and their billing rate.
Great Location and easy to get around the downtown area
OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2017
Great location and easy to get around to other locations within the downtown area. The community involvement is one of the best events held in the office and everyone participates and share ideas.
And Awesome Workplace with Scooters & Nerfdarts
IT Software Development & Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2016
A Typical Work Day Is Very Uplifting and Positive. The Employees Are Kind And Helpful & They Motivate You Along The Way, Just Being an intern they made me feel like a normal worker.
Fun company to work with
Delivery Manager/Principal Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2016
It is a good company to work with if not up to 100% traveling. You get opportunities to work with smart folks, especially in the tech field.
Lots of Smart People, Poor Worklife Balance
Software Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2016
I came in as part of the associate consultant program, a program for new graduates to train within ThoughtWorks. I find that while there's lots of intelligent people to work with, the work life balance is poor. Often new grads are working 5-10hrs in excess of the 40 hour work week in order to complete extra work given to "upskill" them. Can feel a bit cult-like in how much people love the company, but overall the people are great to work with.
Pros
culture, co-workers, technology
Cons
worklife balance
great culture
consultant (Former Employee) –  BrazilAugust 3, 2015
But some of the management team are too authorative and do not reflect the company's culture of feedback and people development. Too much work for few people, can be quite stressful.
Pros
culture
Cons
too much work, sucks you in

Want to know more about ThoughtWorks?

Ask a question
A perfect work and life balanced work place
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Xi'an, ChinaJuly 2, 2015
I have enough time to learn and practice every new technique I am interested in after a routine day's development work. My co-workers are all friendly and supportive. we often learn and share fantastic technical / productive ideas together, also we have lots of sessions and workshops to shape our mind and skills.

On the other hand, ThoughtWorks even allow me to take care of my 6 year-old daughter in the office and let her play game for a couple of hours every day after she comes back from school, which really solves my biggest time management issue.

All in all, I highly appreciate the experience that working in ThoughtWorks with all ThoughtWorkers.
Pros
Anything but salary and work location
Cons
Does not support employee to immigrate, and not good enough earning
Inbound Lead Management
Inside Sales & Business Development Rep (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2014
A typical day at work consists of about 7 hours of managing Inbound leads; this includes making phone calls, writing and responding to emails, organizing product demo's, and overseeing potential-customers' product trials. Over the last six months I have learned: general sales skills, new software programs (Salesforce and Rain King), and polished my telephone skills.

The office consists of 3 or 4 people on the average day, creating a quiet atmosphere. My manager lives many states away, so we communicate daily via Chat and have a catch-up call once per week.

The hardest part of the job is making phone calls and reaching a
potential-customer who has questions too technical for me to answer. I handle these calls by taking careful notes, telling the caller "I will consult a Product Specialist about this and get back to you...." and ask whether they would like to connect next via email or telephone. Leads appreciate having this option and respond very positively.
Pros
Working from home on occasion, flexible hours, office location
Cons
3-4 person office (no social or fun factor), no management, company downsizing, unpredictability of companies future
Senior Consultant Nov 2004 - Nov 2005 ThoughtWorks, Inc., Chicago, IL
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2013
ThoughtWorks is a global leader in Agile technologies for software development. I worked on various projects in different domains (P&C Insurance, Health care, Health Insurance). The software methodology adopted for these projects was the Agile method. I was responsible for:

• Iteration Management - involved leading Iteration planning meetings, scheduling of resources and overall delivery management
• Facilitating client stakeholder sessions
• Developing business requirements and presenting it to the client and the developer community
• Formulating test plans, test criteria and comprehensive testing of the system
• Conducting demonstration of the system for the client stakeholders
• Mentoring client subject matter experts to take up a BA role

Senior Business System Analyst Feb 2002 - Nov 2004
AIG Systems Solutions, Los Angeles- CA

Worked in AIG SunAmerica for transitioning the Policy Management system from Vantage (Mainframe environment) to NaviSys (Distributed systems). I lead a team of Business System Analysts and was responsible for:

• Development of Business Requirement Documents, Functional Specifications and Program Specifications
• Development of test plans, test criteria, quality control processes
• Setting up new products & funds in the system
• Co-ordination of build and deployments in various environments
• Certifying newly built environments before handing it over to business users
• Nightly support for batch cycle processes
• Project management responsibilities- responsible for resource scheduling, creating and maintaining
  more... project plans, offshore team coordination and providing project status updates to top management
• Making presentations to business stakeholders for application enhancements
• Mentoring of junior team members
• Functional training for onsite and offshore BAs and QA team

Outstanding Accomplishments
• Lead the NaviSys initiative for implementing fund-based differential commission
• Nominated for Sunstar award by the Actuarial Dept for resolving business critical show-stopper issues
An agile consulting company trying to understand the software business
VICE PRESIDENT NORTH AMERICA SALES (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2013
A very progressive organization with a unique culture and values. Committed as a company to the betterment of society. A solid consulting practice and a mediocre push into the software business.
Excellent and fun place to work, family oriented
RECRUITING COORDINATOR/OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2013
I met and worked with wonderful people at ThoughtWorks, everyone gives there all and are given many opportunities where your feedback and input will count. Family friendly company
Pros
lots of travel and plenty perks
Cons
n/a
Fine
Sr. Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 27, 2013
Good place with a lot of talent
Lot of innovation
No hierarchy
Lots of travel
Pros
talented people
Cons
low salaries