thredUP Inc Employee Reviews

It was ok i guess
MERCHANDISER/STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILApril 1, 2019
everything was going good till i saw that the supervisors only cared about uph and they were all about favoritism. If the supervisor was friends with an employee and send that employee to do something like captain or style and if that employee didnt feel like doing the job the supervisor would always listen and place basically the same people to do it and never pick their friends again since they never wanted to do it.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Bad management, favoritism, uph
High school all over again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMarch 30, 2019
Working here is like going back to high school. There are cliques, "mean girls", and bullying. I was told by a few people that they eventually bully you out after about a couple months. I didn't believe anyone because I wasn't being treated that way, I should have listened. They accused me of doing things I didn't do. They told me they didn't trust the cameras. I think this company has low morals and a bad management team. I strongly advise that you think twice before working here.
Pros
Cons
Management, people, almost everything else.
Horrible Horrible place to work
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 27, 2019
Supervisors and leads pick favorites and if you complaint about anything hey will haunt you till you quit or get fired. Supervisors like to start drama and rumors about associates they don’t like .. HR is the same if you go to HR about a situation confidentiality is absent .
Pros
Cons
Minimum wage awful supervisors and leads .
Good job if you're in desperate need of a paycheck
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMarch 20, 2019
It can be a relaxed environment if you are regularly meeting the UPH requirements which can be difficult if you aren't used to: picking, packing, shipping manifest, and various other tasks. The previously mentioned jobs have metric based raises(.25 - .50 cents) and can be achieved within six months. Most of the new hires peak at level 3 or quit after a week or two due the demanding nature and poor compensation. Communication between the leadership and floor staff is weak and rarely professional. Communication amongst leadership is frequent and mostly ineffective, ultimately leading to poor scheduling and rushed projects. This company has an open feedback policy yet concerns regarding operations, raises, promotions, and other associates are generally ignored unless constantly mentioned to HR. There is room for growth in company but only if you're willing to wait for inbound associates to leave or be terminated. Music is play throughout the day on a decent sound system and you can give your suggestions depending on which shift and supervisor you have. Most people are nice and team oriented. Their point system has claimed many hardworking employees and damaged the morale of those who have been with the company from the beginning. All in all, stay positive and have low expectations.
Pros
Medical benefits, Pto, Promotion from within
Cons
Slow growth, disorganized, questionable leadership
very productive and fast pace
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 19, 2019
pack baby clothes inspect for damage material
how to inspect baby clothes
Very young management
I love to work with everybody
to inspect and pick the good clothes ship to customers
to pick the baby clothes,
Pros
too many clothes
Cons
nor enough racks and hangers
Not worth it
Captain (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 16, 2019
Not worth the 11.00 pay and impossible raise expectations. Quite a bit of drama there as well. They hype up the job to be something its not. The kind of job you get for a month or two until you find a better (higher paying) job.
Low pay impossible standards
Picker (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMarch 13, 2019
I used to work in warehouses and when I came here the numbers for picking were impossible to reach. If you can’t reach them and go above and beyond too you can’t advance, pay is low and work is crazy for the amount of pay!
Pros
Good start times, advancement is possible
Cons
Low pay, crazy work standards, no downtime
OK place to work
Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAMarch 11, 2019
poor communiction, Great culture, Pay is ok, Easy work, Quick hire process, Good hours, benefits, people come and go, not doing the same thing everyday
Uncomfortable work space
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMarch 6, 2019
The managers were very disrespectful and rude. They only had favorites if you wasn’t one of their favorites then the would start acting very mean towards you.
Best job I've ever had
Itemizer (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 2, 2019
It was my first full time job when i turned 18 and i worked full time, first 60 days you're working through a temp agency which you don't get any benefits until they decide to convert you over after your probationary period, its easy to convert over you just got to make sure you do your job, have fun and have a great attitude, definitely make sure you do NOT show repetitive patterns of being late, calling off, leaving early in your probationary period and they have no reason to fire you or not to convert you over. Its easy to get raises just make sure you hit their requirements. since i was there i gotten 4 raises in a year and two months ending with 15.00. it honestly really is fun there, although the ONLY thing that thredup lacked was COMMUNICATION and that goes for management, trainers, etc. Other than that i would highly recommend working here. plus you have plenty of opportunities with inside applications for higher up positions such as wip, trainer, lead, IT tech, supervisor, etc.
Pros
occasional free lunches, Pto, Upto, pay
Cons
management
Productive fun place to work but over the years the company has change.
Consolidation (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMarch 1, 2019
I work there back in 2017 in Vernon hills it was actually pretty cool working there in the beginning I met great coworkers that made you feel like part of family but then the company started to change schedules & also the management started to be strict with their point system so everyone started to get fired or quit they just couldn’t take the mental slavery of sweatshop work and time on station .They hire people every week to replace the original ones in other words just obey their rules you will keep your job If you don’t you are basically replaceable 👍
Pros
Free Lunches sometimes and you get Free Thredup shirt !
Cons
Short breaks
Growing in the Company
Assistant Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 28, 2019
I have been working here for almost 4 years and have worked my way up through the company from an entry level job. It definitely is possible to grow in the company, they really do recognize hardworking team members. As an Assistant Merchandiser, I authenticate and manually price high end items. I love fashion so this was a great opportunity to grow in that. The leadership are always ready to help and easy-going that you could carry a casual conversation with, and the GM is always down to hear your feedback or concerns. We do have music in the DC, but it consists of all sorts of genres if you don't mind that. The employee benefits on the site are awesome, especially if you love shopping but are on a budget or you have kids. The jobs in the DC are super simple, unlike any other warehouse work you'd find.
O think its a great first job but not a job to build a career of
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAFebruary 21, 2019
It was a fun experience for me i learned a lot and I would recommend others to work here. Great staff their always willing to give you a helping hand not really a hard part to the job it's more of less how you make it out to be
Pros
They had free give aways for the workers
Cons
Short break 10mins no free lunch food is far away with no car
Fun work environment!
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 20, 2019
A typical day at the distribution center varies depending on your position and the needs for that day making it fun and challenging. The leadership team has recently changed and the culture is heading in the right direction! The positive vibe continues to grow and leadership is taking feedback from the associates to find out what works best for everyone. If you want to be able to advance in pay scale it can be done quickly by hitting achievable metrics and showing up to the job on a daily basis! This is a fast growing company with exciting works in the making!
Pros
Recognition, music in the warehouse, free meals for events
Fun place to work. flexible work hours
DISTRIBUTION CENTER OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2019
Been working at ThredUP for 5 years now. A fast paced, and friendly work environment. 40 hrs a week work guaranteed. culture club events. job progression structure which helps motivate operators to move up and get a salary increase.
Pros
friendly work environment. 40 hrs a week guaranteed
Cons
hourly minimum wage pay
I would not recommend this place at all!
Stylist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 18, 2019
It is bad..... Anyone gets promoted up, even people who start that day. Favortism is beyond ridiculous. People get to stand around and do nothing while they make the person they dont care for do so much more. Some people are petty and get away with their behavior. Some things get flagged, even if its the tiniest little crinkle you could hardly see, but something that looks bad gets approved. They expect you to meet their numbers even though they are extremely HIGH! I can honestly go on and on.
Pros
Cons
To many
Very fun place
merchandising clothing and accessories (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 27, 2019
We had people going and coming everyday. The fire people everyday and hire even when we are slow. Sometime we work only two hours a day. Very horible place to work. Please look for another direction
Pros
Free Lunch sometimes
Cons
Short break
They are always watching you
Employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2019
I was an employee for Thredup, and all I have to say is change your mind and turn another direction. THIS is your sign that this job is not worth your time. If there is room for promotion it is because they are constantly letting people go with no warnings or direction. If you are not doing things the way they would like, they are on a hunt to find a reason to get rid of you rather than teach you the way they prefer. If there are already people in the promoted position, good luck because there is limited room for growth. You are walking on eggshells whether you know it or not. I was so eager to learn, grow with the company, and was a very committed employee, unfortunately their values are not aligned. Lastly, this is very similar to a high school environment in the sense of clicks, gossip, and the way management talks to staff.
Pros
occasionally provided lunch, set schedule, decent benefits
Cons
poor communication, little opp. for growth, poor management, careless management, do not trust HR
Just a place holder for your next job
Employee (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2019
They inflate people up in the interviews about how fast up you can advance but it’s nearly impossible.
I’m a fast hard worker and I’m barely moving up and I’ve been here for about 4 months so I guess that’s to take into consideration. However the amount of responsibility they give you is a lot compared to the hourly wage of 11 an hour.
It’s hard to get a raise cause the goals are set way too high. I’ve been meeting them but overall it’s not worth the effort. It’s a new warehouse so I get things take time to adjust but I honestly rather work a fast food job and get paid more.
Pros
Flexible time off
Cons
11 an hour starting
Be prepared to be fired for no reason without warning
Warehouse Trainer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 27, 2018
I was a trainer for ThredUp DC05 and was easily able to move up to that position just to be fired (along with the 5 other people on the training team) two months later because they were “restructuring the training team.” In reality, this meant they were replacing us with workers from other distribution centers and telling everyone that they attempted to retrain the trainers before they fired us but we “weren’t cooperating.” The manager has called meetings with everyone in the warehouse to tell them they are replaceable, as they really want you to know they do not care about you, or even the customers we’re working for. Before I was fired, I know of at least 3 people who were fired for no reason, and 4 that left because the management was rude, unprofessional, or picked favorites. Receiving processes for bags customers sent in were messed up and when brought to the attention of a supervisor, they said “not our problem,” causing hundreds of customers to not get paid for the items they sent. They also claim to send any clothes/accessories we do not accept to charities but they send them straight to the trash and amazing usable clothing, handbags, jewelry, and even electronics that could be donated are sent to people who throw them away, but not before they get paid for it of course. Do not work for ThredUp!
Pros
Coworkers make you feel like you’re part of a family
Cons
The company has bad ethics, horrible management, and no care for their employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at thredUP Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7