Thresholds Employee Reviews

Horrible support. Horrible pay. Overworked.
CSS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
Dont bother. Working here has been nothing but stressful. Management is deplorable. I'm a case manager who is working on my MS. When I graduate. I'm out of this company! I make 2.00 more than the minimum wage. Next July, I'll be making a 1.00 more than minimum wage. I have a Bachelors in Psychology and am 4 classes sh6 of my graduate degree. Thresholds could care less.
Pros
Members
Cons
Pay is ridiculous. Top heavy upper management.
Only enjoyable if you get a good Team Leader
Community Support Specialist, CST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2018
The individuals you work for offer learning experiences, culture, and opportunities for engagement. The organization, though, did not promote work safety until an employee got murdered.
Pros
Clients served
Cons
Everything else
The Thresholds mission is amazing
Manager, Purchasing, Fleet and Leasing (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2018
Thresholds provides a flexible work environment and a great company culture. It can be a great place to work and most people that work here are genuinely inspired by the mission and the population we serve.
Pros
The Mission
Cons
Salaries
Overwhelming, consistantly changes day to day
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2018
Thresholds is a workplace where you can learn many different skills, on a typical day you have upper management comes in to give you any work that they are behind in so you have to meet this deadline with such short notice while you are still completing your own duties. It gets overwhelming but you learn how to evaluate situations in a professional manner, learn how to assess and document information that higher ups deal with. Documents change daily so you can began to learn one thing but never use that skill because we've moved to something different in a matter of days. As being with clients the most, my opinion doesn't matter which is the hardest.
Pros
Meeting and interacting with different cultures and supervisor being very understanding.
Cons
Not knowing when your shift will end due to weather related issues or coworkers calling off.
Stressfull, prejudicial, dicatorial
Stroger Crisis Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
Thresholds keeps on making the top 100 happiest places to work but I don't see that. I see punitive upper management, overworked floor staff that are completely ignored and neglected middle management that is not given the tools to move forward.
Helping to manage the lives of individuals that society has frowned upon
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
Thresholds is a great place to work I love coaching and encouraging individuals who otherwise are looked upon as society's rejects, when for the most part majority of the members have had tragic circumstances that has caused them to be in the situation they are in. Each and everyone has a story to tell and Thresholds is just one of the organizations that is there to help. The hardest part of the job is being able to keep emotions in tact when listening to some of the events that has taken place in many of the lives of the members there.
Pros
paid time off nice benefit package
Cons
security isnt what it could be.
Awful management
Supports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MichiganNovember 5, 2018
When I first started I was warned by fellow coworkers about supervision and how the agency runs... I didn’t believe them at first but I quickly learned. Supervisors are self involved and don’t care about their employees, or even their employees clients. Supervison doesn’t listen to concerns or try and come up with solutions...HUGE safety concerns left not dealt with. Was told to not contact APS on a woman with severe dementia living without water or electric. They will leave new social workers dealing situations that aren’t safe for their clients and won’t give any direction on how to handle it. If someone (coworker, person in the community) gets upset with you, supervison will never back you up and will claim you never came to them about the situation, even when you did and they just ignored you. Not enough time to get everything done. Supervisors play favorite and if you’re not a favorite, good luck. Unrealistic expectations regarding caseloads and paperwork. If you’re looking to be a SC, go to moka, pine rest, or hope network. Their caseloadss are 5-8 people less than thresholds. This agency was literally so bad for my mental health and I regret working here. Awful management, awful working conditions.. for little pay. Run far, far, away.
Pros
Clients, flexible hours
Cons
Supervison, pay
No pressure environment.
Peer Support Specialist - Freedom South (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2018
Members I work with are mentally challenged. My educational experience assist in communication and members well-being. A typical day at work is to greet members as they come in. Fix breakfast, serve coffee. I individually talk to every member. I facilitate several groups weekly. Topics include hygiene, medication and substance and mental illness issues.
Pros
Members are kind spirited
Cons
Distance from home to work
Nice People, Horrible Pay.
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2018
I can only recommend working here you are an intern or desperate for work. The health care benefits are nice and and staff does get quite a few vacation days, but the terrible pay just isn't worth it. The average employee now lasts only 11 months at Thresholds, and that statistic is straight from the second in command. Also upper management rarely, if ever, visit program sites. It's rather democratizing when it appears upper management doesn't care about the work you do.
Pros
Casual Workplace, Nice Co-Workers, Decent Health Care, Lots of Vacation Time
Cons
Horrible Pay, Few Raises, Top Heavy Upper Management, Little Room for Growth
great place to work at
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2018
Thresholds is a very well organized company they are great to their staff and members.Thresholds believes in hiring within and thresholds are really dedicated to the members and staff well being.
Pros
Great Food, They offer counseling for staff as well as members
Cons
N/a
Good experience, horrible pay
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  ChicagoOctober 22, 2018
Great experience, Well known company, good job while in school, supervision for LCSW and lots of chances for CEUs. But pay is horrible. You’d make more at Aldis. Upper management could care least about high turn over rate.
Pros
Supervision for LCSW
Cons
Horrible pay
productive work palce
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2018
Calm workplace little to no complications at the workplace
Management at the site I work at is great, The culture is diverse. The hardest part of the job is staying awake, The most enjoyable part of the job interacting with the members..
Pros
relaxed surroundings
Cons
Not enough money
Not a good fit for everyone
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2018
At a point in time it was good place to work. When management change the culture has changed alot. I always try to think of positive things to say about companies and others. i will say that it no longer meets my needs, I still enjoy the work I do but others have caused a decline in my motivation to stay and excel with Thresholds..
Pros
I love the work I do
Cons
Micro Management
Great people to help the mentally ill
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2018
Working at Threshold help me Be patient. Be a good listener and help the mentally ill. The patients that I helped all had different issues. You can’t talk to each of them about each other issues. But you can listen. That helps more than anything. I appreciate the time I had to work there. I learn more about empathy
Poor upper management
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2018
Thersholds is not a welcoming or supportive environment for everyone. I've experienced racism and mental health stigma from employees, including administrators. There are plenty of opportunities if you can handle those things and a company that is outdated and unsupportive with it's policies. Pay is very low and it is salary so you don't get overtime for all the extra time you end up putting in. Also your supervision for licensure is not made a priority so you frequently have to miss it. Policy around supervision is not trauma informed or responsive, this it is below standard for this type of work. Turn over is also incredibly high, thus teams are almost always understaffed and on the edge of burn out if not fully burned out.

I loved my work, but the job is too stressful to not have the full support of the company behind you. I had better experiences elsewhere.
Pros
Very meaningful work
Cons
Pay, lack of institutional support, on job bigotry
Personal Growth
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2018
Thresholds gave me the opportunity to grow professional and personally. Thresholds' did a great job of clarifying their values/mission. Thresholds' has a positive culture and is always working to improve.

My main complaint/struggle is the pace of the job and inability to show more employee appreciation by the pay. Thresholds does try to match what is monetarily missing in other ways.
Pros
opportunities for growth and finding your "best fit" in the field
Cons
low pay
A typical day at work
Community Support Specialist/ Art Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
I work collaboratively with a team. We discuss the needs of our clients with each other. Based on assets as individuals, we devise plans to better assist our members. We work together to get the job done.
Rewording Work with Supportive Staff
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  McHenry County, ILJuly 23, 2018
Overall, I found Thresholds to be a great organization to work for. While it may not provide competitive pay, you get the benefits of having supportive team members and management. There's plenty of opportunities for getting CEUs and training which are usually encouraged to attend by management. The work can be stressful, and they do using stress time-management skills for getting your progress notes and assessments completed on time, but I felt that it was nothing I wasn't able to manage.
Pros
Support, supervision hours for license, CEU opportunities, flexible schedule, can complete notes remotely
Cons
Low salary
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2018
A displayed day with achievable deliverables. Great management. I learned working with vendors and tight dead lines. I learned evaluation vendor proposals.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Dependent on State of Illinois funding
agency with a solid mission in serving its members
Payer Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 4, 2018
Thresholds provided a fairly laidback work environment, and the people are what i liked most about the agency. Because it's a nonprofit that's still majorly funded by Medicaid in the State of IL, salaries/wages are low, lower than other similar agencies, from what I understand. Many dynamic, forward-thinking leaders and staff, providing services to a population that is marginialized and stigmatized.
Pros
Informal work atmosphere, staff who believe in the agency's mission
Cons
Low salaries/wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thresholds. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight