Thresholds Employee Reviews

This place sucks...
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2019
The turn over rate is extremely high. They provide false hope for clients. The team leaders and management is bad and will bully talk down to you, and try to overwork you. Management takes all the credit for all of your hard work. The pay is extremely low and their benefits packages are extremely high. They hire unqualified people and they will stick you with working a lot of overtime because they lack staff. They have a lot of trainings and meetings only to get yo to bill better to make more money from the state. There is not much room for advancement if you don't know anyone in higher positions and are not in their clique. Stay away from Thresholds. They expect your job to come first before your own family. This company doesn't care about anything but, making money any way they can. I can't believe they are supposedly one of the best companies to work for....LIES, LIES, LIES!!! They have non degreed staff writing all care plans and performing mental health assessments when it should be a person doing it with a college degree, yet have a higher degreed person signing for it. This company is full of doing sneaky stuff. So much theft is going on in this place, it's crazy. They falsify lots of documents among other shady business practices. SMH.
Pros
Going home after my shift ends, hopefully
Cons
Low pay and they are a bunch of crooks and liars
Good Place to work.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2019
Thresholds is a nationally known organization and was a good place to work. Sadly they are in the State of Illinois which has a poorly operated Department of Mental Health and the state has significant financial difficulties.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
State of Illinois financial problems.
The company doesn’t care
Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2019
A lot goes on behind the doors of thresholds. They do not care about their employees the moral isnlow and the turnover rate is high. I was attack by a member, was out on suspension w/o pay while they investigated and nothing ornany consequences was given to the member. The reason is because they are mentally ill, so they get a pass to do whatever they want because they are mentally ill. If they would hurt someone on the street, that person would defend themselves. We are told we can’t and to pretty much use our words. Our lives don’t matter to them, we are just another number that can be replaced.
Pros
Cons
The whole company
Excellent Place
Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 24, 2019
Thresholds strives to provide the best services to person with IDD. The team atmosphere is excellent as is the relationship with management..........
Pros
Atmosphere/Flexibility
Cons
Non-Profit pay scale
Great environment, low pay
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2019
Great environment working with my team and supervisor, however the biggest drawbacks are the low pay and not much support past an immediate supervisor. I've raised several issues over the years and more often then not I've just solved them best I can on my own.

Lots of turnover due to hiring clinicians with little experience, and then they leave once they have more experience and will get paid much more elsewhere.
Pros
Flexibility, great co-workers
Cons
Low pay, upper management
Not a good place to work
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
Top heavy management. Workplace safety was always an issue, especially as a case manager. Most concerned with documentation. Little to no support from management. A lot of favoritism and cronyism at this organization.
Pros
Not really any pros to working here
Cons
Pay, workplace safety, no support from management, favoritism, nepotism, and cronyism
Rough working conditions with low pay.
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2019
If your goal is to help with mental illness or community then this could be a place to work. Uninspiring management. A lot of restrictions put on getting a candidate hired because of grants getting received.
Pros
Helping community and mental illness
Cons
Relax but can be stressful
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  East Palestine, OHJanuary 7, 2019
Most the time it's relaxed an quiet but then sometimes its stressful when a client has a Behavior but overall it's a good place to work for fair pay for around here you get benefits Health Care insurance
volunteer
FOOD PREP (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJanuary 5, 2019
I was a volunteer at Threshold's in Kankakee, IL. I sat at front desk greeting customers and members. I answered phone calls and placed phone calls for members to see their case workers.
Flexibility, relaxed environment, supportive
Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 27, 2018
Thresholds is a supportive employer that offers flexibility and a relaxed working environment, supportive supervisors for stressful work and frequently changing policies at the macro level, and provides excellent care and services to those we support. I learned how to relate to those with intellectual disabilities and help them to achieve their dreams. Thresholds does an excellent job at taking care of their employees so employees can take care of clients.
Pros
Supportive supervisors, flexibility, supportive colleagues
Cons
Frequently changing policies
Good
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
The work days are very good and sometimes at a fast pace. The people work there are friendly and informative. The quality of the work environment is great.
Cons
Horrible support. Horrible pay. Overworked.
CSS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
Dont bother. Working here has been nothing but stressful. Management is deplorable. I'm a case manager who is working on my MS. When I graduate. I'm out of this company! I make 2.00 more than the minimum wage. Next July, I'll be making a 1.00 more than minimum wage. I have a Bachelors in Psychology and am 4 classes sh6 of my graduate degree. Thresholds could care less.
Pros
Members
Cons
Pay is ridiculous. Top heavy upper management.
Only enjoyable if you get a good Team Leader
Community Support Specialist, CST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2018
The individuals you work for offer learning experiences, culture, and opportunities for engagement. The organization, though, did not promote work safety until an employee got murdered.
Pros
Clients served
Cons
Everything else
The Thresholds mission is amazing
Manager, Purchasing, Fleet and Leasing (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2018
Thresholds provides a flexible work environment and a great company culture. It can be a great place to work and most people that work here are genuinely inspired by the mission and the population we serve.
Pros
The Mission
Cons
Salaries
Overwhelming, consistantly changes day to day
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2018
Thresholds is a workplace where you can learn many different skills, on a typical day you have upper management comes in to give you any work that they are behind in so you have to meet this deadline with such short notice while you are still completing your own duties. It gets overwhelming but you learn how to evaluate situations in a professional manner, learn how to assess and document information that higher ups deal with. Documents change daily so you can began to learn one thing but never use that skill because we've moved to something different in a matter of days. As being with clients the most, my opinion doesn't matter which is the hardest.
Pros
Meeting and interacting with different cultures and supervisor being very understanding.
Cons
Not knowing when your shift will end due to weather related issues or coworkers calling off.
Stressfull, prejudicial, dicatorial
Stroger Crisis Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
Thresholds keeps on making the top 100 happiest places to work but I don't see that. I see punitive upper management, overworked floor staff that are completely ignored and neglected middle management that is not given the tools to move forward.
Helping to manage the lives of individuals that society has frowned upon
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
Thresholds is a great place to work I love coaching and encouraging individuals who otherwise are looked upon as society's rejects, when for the most part majority of the members have had tragic circumstances that has caused them to be in the situation they are in. Each and everyone has a story to tell and Thresholds is just one of the organizations that is there to help. The hardest part of the job is being able to keep emotions in tact when listening to some of the events that has taken place in many of the lives of the members there.
Pros
paid time off nice benefit package
Cons
security isnt what it could be.
Awful management
Supports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MichiganNovember 5, 2018
When I first started I was warned by fellow coworkers about supervision and how the agency runs... I didn’t believe them at first but I quickly learned. Supervisors are self involved and don’t care about their employees, or even their employees clients. Supervison doesn’t listen to concerns or try and come up with solutions...HUGE safety concerns left not dealt with. Was told to not contact APS on a woman with severe dementia living without water or electric. They will leave new social workers dealing situations that aren’t safe for their clients and won’t give any direction on how to handle it. If someone (coworker, person in the community) gets upset with you, supervison will never back you up and will claim you never came to them about the situation, even when you did and they just ignored you. Not enough time to get everything done. Supervisors play favorite and if you’re not a favorite, good luck. Unrealistic expectations regarding caseloads and paperwork. If you’re looking to be a SC, go to moka, pine rest, or hope network. Their caseloadss are 5-8 people less than thresholds. This agency was literally so bad for my mental health and I regret working here. Awful management, awful working conditions.. for little pay. Run far, far, away.
Pros
Clients, flexible hours
Cons
Supervison, pay
No pressure environment.
Peer Support Specialist - Freedom South (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2018
Members I work with are mentally challenged. My educational experience assist in communication and members well-being. A typical day at work is to greet members as they come in. Fix breakfast, serve coffee. I individually talk to every member. I facilitate several groups weekly. Topics include hygiene, medication and substance and mental illness issues.
Pros
Members are kind spirited
Cons
Distance from home to work
Nice People, Horrible Pay.
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2018
I can only recommend working here you are an intern or desperate for work. The health care benefits are nice and and staff does get quite a few vacation days, but the terrible pay just isn't worth it. The average employee now lasts only 11 months at Thresholds, and that statistic is straight from the second in command. Also upper management rarely, if ever, visit program sites. It's rather democratizing when it appears upper management doesn't care about the work you do.
Pros
Casual Workplace, Nice Co-Workers, Decent Health Care, Lots of Vacation Time
Cons
Horrible Pay, Few Raises, Top Heavy Upper Management, Little Room for Growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thresholds. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight