Thresholds Employee Reviews

productive work palce
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2018
Calm workplace little to no complications at the workplace
Management at the site I work at is great, The culture is diverse. The hardest part of the job is staying awake, The most enjoyable part of the job interacting with the members..
Pros
relaxed surroundings
Cons
Not enough money
Not a good fit for everyone
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2018
At a point in time it was good place to work. When management change the culture has changed alot. I always try to think of positive things to say about companies and others. i will say that it no longer meets my needs, I still enjoy the work I do but others have caused a decline in my motivation to stay and excel with Thresholds..
Pros
I love the work I do
Cons
Micro Management
Poor upper management
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2018
Thersholds is not a welcoming or supportive environment for everyone. I've experienced racism and mental health stigma from employees, including administrators. There are plenty of opportunities if you can handle those things and a company that is outdated and unsupportive with it's policies. Pay is very low and it is salary so you don't get overtime for all the extra time you end up putting in. Also your supervision for licensure is not made a priority so you frequently have to miss it. Policy around supervision is not trauma informed or responsive, this it is below standard for this type of work. Turn over is also incredibly high, thus teams are almost always understaffed and on the edge of burn out if not fully burned out.

I loved my work, but the job is too stressful to not have the full support of the company behind you. I had better experiences elsewhere.
Pros
Very meaningful work
Cons
Pay, lack of institutional support, on job bigotry
Personal Growth
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2018
Thresholds gave me the opportunity to grow professional and personally. Thresholds' did a great job of clarifying their values/mission. Thresholds' has a positive culture and is always working to improve.

My main complaint/struggle is the pace of the job and inability to show more employee appreciation by the pay. Thresholds does try to match what is monetarily missing in other ways.
Pros
opportunities for growth and finding your "best fit" in the field
Cons
low pay
A typical day at work
Community Support Specialist/ Art Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
I work collaboratively with a team. We discuss the needs of our clients with each other. Based on assets as individuals, we devise plans to better assist our members. We work together to get the job done.
Rewording Work with Supportive Staff
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  McHenry County, ILJuly 23, 2018
Overall, I found Thresholds to be a great organization to work for. While it may not provide competitive pay, you get the benefits of having supportive team members and management. There's plenty of opportunities for getting CEUs and training which are usually encouraged to attend by management. The work can be stressful, and they do using stress time-management skills for getting your progress notes and assessments completed on time, but I felt that it was nothing I wasn't able to manage.
Pros
Support, supervision hours for license, CEU opportunities, flexible schedule, can complete notes remotely
Cons
Low salary
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2018
A displayed day with achievable deliverables. Great management. I learned working with vendors and tight dead lines. I learned evaluation vendor proposals.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Dependent on State of Illinois funding
agency with a solid mission in serving its members
Payer Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 4, 2018
Thresholds provided a fairly laidback work environment, and the people are what i liked most about the agency. Because it's a nonprofit that's still majorly funded by Medicaid in the State of IL, salaries/wages are low, lower than other similar agencies, from what I understand. Many dynamic, forward-thinking leaders and staff, providing services to a population that is marginialized and stigmatized.
Pros
Informal work atmosphere, staff who believe in the agency's mission
Cons
Low salaries/wages
Beautiful Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
Thresholds is a wonderful company. If my pay was competitive I would never leave. Thresholds does a lot to help the mentally ill population. I have been working at Thresholds over 10 years.
Excellent Company to Work For
Peer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILMay 25, 2018
Great place to work for...the environment is very supportive and encouraging. The agency excels at teamwork. Many opportunities to move up and succeed.
Excellent Work Environment
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2018
Very pleasant work culture. The staff is pleasant and the members are very welcoming. Very laid back and loving people. Casual dress code, which makes it easy to get ready for work.
Intersting place to work, very rewarding
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 23, 2018
I was extremely happy to have worked with this type of environment. It opened my eyes to help or meet people where they are. This job was a very rewarding one. I feel I had a positive impact on peoples lives.
Pros
Made people feel better about themselves
Cons
Was able to spend quality time
Very empathetic of all cultures and walks of life.
Housing Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2018
On a daily basis one will find themselves empathetic and passionate about making a difference in an individual life.
Whether it be through case management, therapy, and or providing housing for the mental ill and or substance abuse citizens of society.
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons
Stress full environment yet rewarding
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2018
I learned much the years at my agency. A few fantastic mentors have retired who were the most influential to me. The present management is not all encouraging and this shows; meaning except for one person, no one has stated to me personally good job. The personnel who retired always gave those comments. That is the older folks. Communication is a key to serving the population we serve and that is good. I am so blessed by the clients (i.e, members) we help. It is difficult at times with the behavior issues but is so rewarding. The stress in getting the paperwork completes one has to work overtime for this. Also, with only a lower degree I felt the personnel who had higher degrees were looked up and more opportunities for them. Especially, the many who were young and not much work experience they seem to get the more interactions with the management.
Pros
Always learning everyday new ideas
Cons
To low pay, and traveling in unsafe neighborhoods.
low pay and high responsibility
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  various group homes throughout Grand Rapids, MIMay 2, 2018
Thresholds is persistently low on funding, so the pay is low. There are no merit raises. Many of the homes are permanently short of staff, so opportunities for overtime are plentiful, however the company occasionally bans overtime to try to get costs under control. Training is spotty and cowokers range from the occasionally awesome to frighteningly incompetent, with the general level being subpar due to low pay and unappealing work making recruitment difficult. There are oppportunities for advancement, however, the pay remains low at all levels.
Pros
good benefits, including decent insurance options, cumulative vacation pay, and 401k
Cons
high stress, low pay, and spotty management
office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2018
office wok, light interaction, Microsoft word, meetings, medical billing, housekeeping, oppurtunity to meet new people, great bosses competitive field
enjoyed working in mental health recovery
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILApril 23, 2018
Enjoyed working with the staff and member in the mental health recovery field working as an accounting social security representative. Meet alot of great people at the job,
Wonder work & mission, yet LOW PAY!
Community Support Specialist, Masters (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2018
Working at Thresholds is great- their mission is amazing & their work is one-of-a-kind! They are well advanced in their clinical techniques and approaches. However, the pay is just way too low. & you are incredibly, incredibly over worked. Unless you have a partner that makes good money, you will be living pay check, to pay check. If you would like to work where your work is meaningful, and you have the opportunity to impact lives, definitely consider working at Thresholds.
Pros
Good work culture, benefits, clinically advanced
Cons
Low salary/wages
Not a popular place to work
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
Not a wonderful place to work. You will be underpaid and unappreciated. Was not allowed to voice an interested in getting represented by a Union. However, you do have a flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Poor management
Great place to get a lot of experience!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
This is a great place to get a lot of experience working with people who suffer from mental illness and other comorbid issues. It is a non for profit agency that works with Medicaid.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thresholds. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight