Thresholds Employee Reviews

Stress full environment yet rewarding
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2018
I learned much the years at my agency. A few fantastic mentors have retired who were the most influential to me. The present management is not all encouraging and this shows; meaning except for one person, no one has stated to me personally good job. The personnel who retired always gave those comments. That is the older folks. Communication is a key to serving the population we serve and that is good. I am so blessed by the clients (i.e, members) we help. It is difficult at times with the behavior issues but is so rewarding. The stress in getting the paperwork completes one has to work overtime for this. Also, with only a lower degree I felt the personnel who had higher degrees were looked up and more opportunities for them. Especially, the many who were young and not much work experience they seem to get the more interactions with the management.
Pros
Always learning everyday new ideas
Cons
To low pay, and traveling in unsafe neighborhoods.
low pay and high responsibility
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  various group homes throughout Grand Rapids, MIMay 2, 2018
Thresholds is persistently low on funding, so the pay is low. There are no merit raises. Many of the homes are permanently short of staff, so opportunities for overtime are plentiful, however the company occasionally bans overtime to try to get costs under control. Training is spotty and cowokers range from the occasionally awesome to frighteningly incompetent, with the general level being subpar due to low pay and unappealing work making recruitment difficult. There are oppportunities for advancement, however, the pay remains low at all levels.
Pros
good benefits, including decent insurance options, cumulative vacation pay, and 401k
Cons
high stress, low pay, and spotty management
office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2018
office wok, light interaction, Microsoft word, meetings, medical billing, housekeeping, oppurtunity to meet new people, great bosses competitive field
enjoyed working in mental health recovery
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILApril 23, 2018
Enjoyed working with the staff and member in the mental health recovery field working as an accounting social security representative. Meet alot of great people at the job,
Wonder work & mission, yet LOW PAY!
Community Support Specialist, Masters (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2018
Working at Thresholds is great- their mission is amazing & their work is one-of-a-kind! They are well advanced in their clinical techniques and approaches. However, the pay is just way too low. & you are incredibly, incredibly over worked. Unless you have a partner that makes good money, you will be living pay check, to pay check. If you would like to work where your work is meaningful, and you have the opportunity to impact lives, definitely consider working at Thresholds.
Pros
Good work culture, benefits, clinically advanced
Cons
Low salary/wages
Not a popular place to work
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
Not a wonderful place to work. You will be underpaid and unappreciated. Was not allowed to voice an interested in getting represented by a Union. However, you do have a flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Poor management
Great place to get a lot of experience!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
This is a great place to get a lot of experience working with people who suffer from mental illness and other comorbid issues. It is a non for profit agency that works with Medicaid.
Good first job after college
CSS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2018
You won't make enough to pay your student loans, but you will be eligible for reduced payments and possible forgiveness working for non profit........
A not for profit is challenging if you don't have the appropriate resources to do your job.
Benefits Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2018
The job itself was terrific and challenging. However, it was difficult to access the appropriate resources to do my work. For example, I needed access to an ERISA attorney and didn't have permission to contact one. I enjoyed the work but there were always barriers to complete certain tasks.
Pros
Most of the people and their mission
Cons
Unclear expectations and lack of access to certain professionals
Underpaid & Overworked
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2018
Thresholds management expects that you will solve all of a client's challenges in life rather than helping a client learn about how to resolve challenges.
Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
Its the best place to work because of the staff and the clients we serve. Also the atmosphere is pretty relaxed, yet it has helped enhance and strengthened my customer service skills.
Reaching one, teaching one
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2018
Enjoyed working with members, reaching one teaching one, preparing members meals at lunch and arranging activities, outings and events for program. Having a member transferred from my caseload to another case manger after building truth was difficult for self. facilitating recovery group meetings and watching the progress in the members life.
Pros
Teaching Lifeskills
Cons
Not enough minutes in a day
Low pay
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2018
Helping members is very rewarding. You get to help others advocate for themselves and well-being. However, the pay is very low compare to the stress on the job.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Low pay, no room for growth
good palce to work
Shift Staff- Young Adult Program (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
a typical day is working with teens and young adult suffering from mental illness and teaching them life skills to become independent. I learned that working with members with mental illness is challenging and rewarding. management is good. work place is diversity. the hardest part is dealing with the resistant's of the members. the most enjoyment is help young people develop skills that promote independence.
Pros
helping young people become independent
Cons
resistants from member
Good for post-education clinical experience, but poor management and support
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
Good opportunity for those with no outside clinical experience, but lack of legitimate support from supervisors and administrators in addressing safety concerns, job morale and acknowledging work. They operate off a clear business model - fill empty beds, employees are just bodies and funding over everything. No pay raises, no monetary incentives, no office perks, poor supervision. Workplace culture is a general sense of jaded and burnout. Extremely difficult population, risky and unsafe environment with little reassurance from management.
Pros
Clinical exposure
Cons
Salary, safety risks, management
Amazing Place
Mental Health Case Worker Internship (Current Employee) –  Ravenswood, ILJanuary 1, 2018
As an intern, I have so much support and supervision that allows me to advance in my knowledge of the field. I love the opportunity to be part of a team and share a caseload. The culture here is supportive and inviting, and I am so thankful to be working for Thresholds.
CST Team Leader DuPage - Partner (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILDecember 14, 2017
I very much enjoyed my time with Thresholds. In the last year management has struggled. There have been many management changes and poor communication between line staff and management.
Pros
Vacation Time
Cons
Poor Management
Learned a lot
Day Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 6, 2017
I was able to gain a lot of knowledge of different mental disorders. Working in a group home with six men with high behavioral conditions taught me a lot of things that you can't learn in a book.
Pros
Experience
Cons
low pay
Productive and comfortable environment. Great leadership.
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2017
I love the clientele and the mission Thresholds stands for. Great leadership and wonderful benefits. Pay is not great. Every day is different, but exciting! The workplace culture is awesome. My clinical team is very supportive.
Adaptable Culture. Great Place to work
Community Support Specialist, QMHP (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2017
I thought Thresholds was a great place to work. The culture allowed one to advance, learn and experience almost immediate growth. Good management team. A typical work day was structured, balanced and allowed one to feel independent.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Budget Cuts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thresholds. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight