Thriftbooks Employee Reviews

Worst place to work
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2019
This is the worst place to work and their turnover rate is so high, it’s a guarantee you will not make it past 90 days and the management and leads along with the HR sucks
Pros
Mon-Fri schedule
Liars from the start
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 18, 2019
They constantly change the wage throughout the interview process. First, it's 12 - 14 hourly. Then, 11.89. Then, 11.01. You get paid more for every book scanned. But the rip off is you don't get paid for the thousands of bad books you pick up and throw away. No vacation pay. They barely want to give you an unpaid week off. Your first few months you give your sweat. Next, they want your blood. Then it's your soul. Finally, when your all burned out, they'll throw your carcass out and hire a new batch. I left before the blood. I don't care what your work ethics are, you are worth more than this.
Cons
Have to stay in one spot and people have negative attitude
scanner (Former Employee) –  Aurora, IL 60502April 2, 2019
What motivated me the most was being able to find valuable things within the books, such as money jewelry, and handy items. I didn't mind the loud noises because we were able to listen to music. Although the more I started to get to know the rest of the coworkers I noticed they weren't being all the honest and kind. I received this negative energy by a group of coworkers. The hardest part was standing in place without really being able to move around. And if the goal wasn't met then you had the chance of just being sent home. Overall It started off good, but with more time it felt like it was becoming more toxic for my mentality.
Pros
Get to take movies or books home
Cons
short breaks, and standing without stretching.
Thriftbooks? More like Thriftcrooks.
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 30, 2019
I worked here for a solid while, throughout that time I witnessed a lot of change and none of it whatsoever being positive for the employees who weren't managers. I was a reciever, and while I was there toward the end while all the machinery was being put in that corporate sent in to get installed to apparently make our jobs easier, i witnessed my wage diminish while i did twice as much work.

the managers here are as stressed out as the employees, in fact equally as much so, due to corporate pressure. The people who run this company make literally hundreds off of gaylords (giant boxes) they pay pennies for, but don't allow a tv to be in the break room because they believe it's too distracting. they also don't have updated vending machines that take cards, heat or cooling, recently just got lockers but only 20 of them for a warehouse of 100 people, the couches in the break room look as if someone picked them up off the side of the street, and there are literal rat traps everywhere.

how this warehouse specifically attempts to boost morale is through pizza, the company will buy everyone pizza if they notice we did something good or above average but decreased the raise for hourly employees from a dollar to 50 cents and pizza hut gets tiring when you're breaking your body for corporate cats.

speaking of breaking your body, you get an hour of sick time every thirty days worked, one hour. if you get pregnant while working here, you get no paid leave, same with getting injured on the job which is possible due to poor managers with no experience. you get 10 minute breaks,
  more... because you have to be back right on the dot or else you get pointed and eventually written up. there's no dental, no vision, medical insurance that shouldn't even be considered medical insurance because it's deductable is around 3k.

the group of people living behind the warehouse are having a better time than the employees.

i could go on and on, but believe me, it's not worth it.
Pros
free books, free dvds, free cds
Cons
bad managers, no paid vacation days, no dental, poor deductable, poor morale, non hygenic to a whole new extreme
Don’t work here!!
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMarch 19, 2019
Sorry excuse for a job. Mangment suck and the environment suck as well. All the manger and assistant manger do is lie and blame you for problems that are not in your control.
Pros
Cons
Ugh
All Bad
Shipping Lead (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2019
One of the worst places I have ever worked in my history of working they only have medical insurance no Dental no vision no for 401K no sick time no bereavement pay NO NOTHING!!!
MANAGEMENT SUCKS...
They have no idea of how to do anyting never even took the opportunity to learn anything! HR is just as dumb she never has any answers to anything she always has to email somebody at corporate to get answers!
Pros
You can do whatever you want nobody cares
Cons
It’s not even worth applying.
receiver (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 23, 2019
I’m current an employee at Thriftbooks in the Baltimore, MD location and it’s terrible. Management clearly don’t know what they’re doing. I had a miscarriage and the manager told me that my situation was irrelevant. Overall I’m miserable. They don’t treat you with respect nor they don’t value you as an employee. The pay is suitable if you’re living at home with no bills or children. The only thing that is good about this job is the free books and dvds. Also there’s no benefits. No vacation time, paid time off or 401K. They do have medical insurance, but it’s crazy expense and they take it out of your check.
Pros
Free books and dvds
Cons
Everything dont apply
The wrost ever
Receving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2019
I never in my life saw the most unprofessional job ever!!! The managers are no help and the leads are rude. The receiving lead which was over me was a ugly big forehead bullfrog she was unprofessional and rude. My check was nothing ever two weeks. Not the place to be if u got real bills
Almost a year stuck
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 16, 2019
Its a job. I enjoy some days, like some managers but nobody listens and attitudes are easy to come by. No respect for the new warehouse. Do it for a check.
Extremely stressful, overwhelming & miserable environment
Receiver Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2019
They don't care about you, they use their sometime'y free lunch (if they don't ask you to pitch money in) to give you the illusion that they care about you. Extremely overwhelming, bleek miserable environment, the managers stand around and get paid for nothing, they literally will watch everyone like prisoners and occasionally changes the bins for books when they get full but other than that just sit around, the minute you change pace a manager will be there with a highlighted sheet of time chastising you about a minute or two between a book being scanned like you're a robot and not a human freaking being, the place is dusty asl ! So if you have allergies you will be suffering, my eyes nose and skin burned every shift, everyone is miserable and has attitudes which I don't blame them because 10.25 Is not enough to be hounded like you're a robot. I told my manager I had a family emergency she didn't care she kept asking about my time. I quit after two days. Twooooo days. Do not do it to yourself!
Pros
Nothing make a run past this job opening
Cons
Everything under the sun!
ok
Order Puller & Shipper (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 28, 2019
the management was rigid, the people could be weird, and the pay wasn't good at all. I'm not sure the work is worth what you're being paid. They expect a lot and have no worthwhile benefits.
Not worth it at all!!!
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2019
No Heat Inside the Building At ALL! The Management Is Lazy But Yell At People All Day! Their Quota Is UNREASONABLE! Nd NOT WORTH THE PAY! EVERYBODY Cheats Double Scans Books To Make Quota! They Pretend to Be Helpful and Stay On Top Of Everything but DONT.!!! And Than Blame YOU Later! One person tells you one thing than another manager says ANOTHER.! ALL AROUND HEADACHE After the First WEEK!! I wouldn't Advise NOBODY To work for them! Period It's NOT WORTH The 9.25 they JUST took it up too.
Backward, offensive, clueless management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJanuary 21, 2019
Without a doubt the most unprofessional business I have ever worked for. Their middle and senior management are incompetent and have no accountability
Pros
Cons
judgmental overbearing incompetent management, horrible pay
Thrift books is a very fun and uplifting environment to work in
Ship Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CT 06096January 2, 2019
Thrift books is a wonderful environment to work in you will learn new skills employees gets opportunities to get up to speed so the work flow can go smooth and meet goals
Was a good place to work
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTDecember 15, 2018
I started working for Thriftbooks in 2011 and the job left in 2018 they moved to Baltimore Maryland it was a fun and awesome job i got to meet a lot of different people. It is not a store though you have to go to the companies web site to order books or dvds it is also a fast paced job that kept you on your toes all in all i loved it and was very sad they left
Cons
Short breaks
Not a good place to work
Reciever (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 7, 2018
The management at Thriftbooks only cares about themselves and the work environment is very negative. I would not recommend working here to a anyone...
Its ok
Shipper/Picker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 5, 2018
Worked 2nd shift. Fast paced. The culture there is very bad. Too many druggies/hostility before we relocated to the new building. New building is better. Lots of favoritism..In management..

Sometimes you get to take books home if they allow you to which is one of the few plus sides.

I wish the work environment was safer and the company would do background checks to keep all the negative people out. But as of now..Not a safe environment to work at, sometimes you just don't feel safe there.

Work colleagues would make racist jokes if you were a minority there.
Pros
3 breaks, you can take home books if they allow you to. Pay is decent.
Cons
Toxic people, favoritism, people stealing, management puts all of their eggs in one basket. No good benefits. No payed vacation.
fast past environment
Shipper/Picker (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2018
fast past environment, you have to move quickly so you can hit goals on production. theres shipping and pulling books and cubing for multi book orders.
Pros
you two 15 minute breaks and one 30
Cons
no pto, or paid holidays
Trash
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MONovember 26, 2018
I've worked here going on half a year and this place going down management trash they pick and choose favorites its always something going on around here ppl are messy i will never work here again just did it for warehouse experience
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Whole place trash
For managers. This is not a terrible job
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WANovember 12, 2018
I joined the job as a assistant manager, IT help. I stayed maybe 4 years before getting an offer in redmond. The job wasnt terrible for me. I had a lot of goals to reach and was taught how to drive a forklift, which was cool. The job was a meat grinder for everyone else. The turnover rate was crazy. I would hire 5-10 people a week some times and we knew we would lose a couple immediately. There unfortunately were times where we had people come in who at a different warehouse job would have been perfect candidates... but this barely a warehouse. I would say closer to recycle center. Overall I got paid well, I finished my AA here, and I had a decent time doing it. There are some benefits that are better then my current job, and a lot that are worst. The worst was the dust and smell that covered you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thriftbooks. Our community is ready to answer.