Thrivent Employee Reviews

Terrible environment
Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 19, 2019
In a major reduction mode “eliminating” positions right and left. The moral is at an all time low. Working here is depressing and there is zero leadership.
Stressful, poor management, a lot of wasteful middle management.
Financial Associate (Former Employee) –  Kendallville, INAugust 18, 2019
No help from management. I had 7 managers within my first 6 months of working there. I slipped through the cracks and received no help and little training.
Great company with great purpose
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kenly, NCAugust 14, 2019
This place is amazing with their view on life and the reason behind their company. They are generous and willing to help anyone and answer all kind of questions.
Mission driven company
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 14, 2019
Great place to work. Currently transforming. Not sure what future company will look like. Benefits are being taken away and made more in line with other companies. Digital presence is weak. May hurt future growth.
5% retention rate
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southwest RegionAugust 8, 2019
Working for Thrivent is VERY competitive and not the good kind. You study for your exams and dream of the unlimited possibilities of endless earning potential. They send you to their home office for a week of nonstop training from breakfast to bedtime. They teach you NOTHING about giving financial advice. You heard that right, nothing, The week of training is all sales training. Practicing scripts. You have to figure out the advice part on your own (IE: giving half of your sales to whoever sits in the meeting with you, even though you're brand new and need the money to start your business. See how this starts?), and it is complicated when they push you to only sell Thrivent products. They have sales goals and put you up against everybody in your RFO(your region) and email everyone your sales numbers out in a huge Excel spreadsheet every week so that you can compare how you're doing to everyone else and feel terrible that so many people are doing better than you.

How you learn to "give advice"..I use that term loosely because that is another Thrivent word for selling (hence the sales training), is by working with other advisors and giving them half of your sales to the people who are higher up the pyramid. It is the only way to "learn". This is a legal Pyramid scheme, with a system designed by and for the people at the top to benefit greatly from the high turnover of advisors who promise to bring in all of their friends and family to become Thrivent customers. The sale is split between you and whoever's running the meeting with you, then your supervisor gets
  more... a cut, then the head of your RFO gets a cut, and I assume someone above him gets some kind of cut too. Sounds a little like a pyramid right?

Let's revisit the title of the review one more time. 5% retention rate. That's what they tell you to make you think that you can be special and can make that 5 percent. It almost sounds like a fun challenge. That is a very glass half full way of looking at it. How about I rephrase it to "95% chance of losing a significant amount of your money before owing Thrivent so much money from their fees that you have no choice but to leave." They have retreats to make you feel motivated and basically teach tips and tricks to get people to buy things from you. The new hire Financial Advisors are broken into years of experience: year one, year two, and year three. Year one, the advisors fill a giant conference room, there are so many people there. Still excited knowing that they're not making money yet but that soon they will be. Fast forward to year two, the room is much smaller, with people who are still hopeful that things will turn around. Fast forward to year three. A small room of 6 people. Nobody else could afford to work for Thrivent. I made it to that room that third year, not because I was better than any of those who quit but that I am not the kind of person to give up on something I've worked so hard for. I wish I had never worked for this company and given so much time and money for no financial gain. This is a legal pyramid scheme and a sales job, plain and simple. If that is what you want, then Thrivent is for you. One positive of working for Thrivent is the community because you make friends, etc.. However, you can make friends anywhere. Don't let them take money from all of your friends and family. If anyone from Thrivent is reading this, I implore you to pay your new advisors some kind of living wage.
left after 27 years
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Office in Belgrade, and prior Van Wert OhioAugust 7, 2019
worked 27 years for Aid Association for Lutherans and Thrivent Financial, AAL was a special organization only disadvantage was commision sales but paid least in industry upfront with best trailers. Not long after the merger to create Thrivent change in compensation was made to pay more of front and less trailers eventually getting ride of residuals altogether. Should have left then. Finally changed compensation geared towards top producers and multiple agent offices and cut my territory from 1400 to less than 400 clients by time I retired from them
Great culture
Office Professional (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJuly 28, 2019
Great company to work for with lots of local flexibility. The reps in Rapid City are amazing and especially Cal is a delight. The company really cares about fixing back.
Interesting experience
Director, Mutual Funds Marketing (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 23, 2019
Thrivent is a non-profit, a relatively unique position within the financial services sector. It was an enjoyable experience working there and it was interesting to gain more industry exposure.
Great group to work with
FINANCIAL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 16, 2019
Everyone is very caring and fun to work with. You get to make your own schedule and are constantly on the move. Each day is completely different from the next and you get to do things your own way.
Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 13, 2019
A lot of change constantly which is good but seems like upper management is not sure which direction they should be going. This causes a lot of wasted time and money.
Great environment
Associate Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 12, 2019
Thrivent Financial has a great environment and people to work with. A lot of easy to work with and enjoyable coworkers. The Appleton building is beautiful outside, only down side is the cafe lacks good food and any food place is at least a 10 min drive away.
Great Mission, Big Changes Ahead
VP (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJuly 1, 2019
I had a great 20+ year career at Thrivent and really connect with the mission. I only left after my direct leader changed and I got the sense that I wouldn't be a good fit with the new one.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, wellness benefits
Office Manager for Financial/Insurance office
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIJune 26, 2019
Typical daytime office job. Customer service, calling, appointment making, helping Agents with financial and insurance policies. Managed supplies, meeting calendar,etc.
Focused on cloud security for web applications in JavaScript.
Security Architect (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJune 21, 2019
I enjoyed my work at Thrivent - I spent most of it focused on InfoSec and applications. Focused on how to improve software security, just starting that effort.
Changing Culture
Talent Sourcer / Senior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 20, 2019
Great Company benefits! Welcoming atmosphere overall. Flexible work schedules available, employee business resource groups.
Going through big transformation.
Pros
Nice campus, friendly people
Cons
Cost cutting and outdated technology
A Disappointing Experience
Financial Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2019
The mission is to "help Christians be wise with money so they can live and give generously." Sounds exciting, right?!?! Then they say they do "comprehensive planning." In actuality, Thrivent is just as shrewd of an insurance company as any other. The company is incredibly focused on "putting" people in annuities and permanent insurance products. This should be illegal... Finally, you will be selling these products to your friends and family. When you run out of friends and family to sell to, then you will be in the awkward position of knowing you burned your relationships to sell some crumby insurance products. Your day to day is cold calling people to sell them insurance under the guise of Christianity. None of the staff is active in a church community.
Pros
Lots of freedom
Cons
Managers are less than competent and the pay is not aligned with the work
Thrivent great place
Financial Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 3, 2019
it was a pleasure to work for Thrivent. If i would have stayed in California I would have still been employed at Thrivent. The staff was great but the company needs a better training program, as well as a lead generating source for new agents.
Pros
Great people, great company
Cons
needs better training, lacks in lead generating tools
N/a
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 28, 2019
I do not feel the need to provide a review of Thrivent Financial at this time. But the field is requiring 150 characters before I'm able to move on, so I need to write something in here.
Potential to help people and make a very good living
Associate Representative (Current Employee) –  Carleton, MIMay 26, 2019
I would recommend if you are a self starter. If you like sales and don't mind making phone calls. They give you plenty of information to learn and the home office is available to walk you through scenarios step by step to help customers. The hardest part so far is getting enough leads to keep an ongoing paycheck because you are paid commission. Not for the faint of heart. I would recommend having 6 months of salary saved before taking the job. This will give you time to learn and build your customer base.
Excellent work place
SFDC Sr. Business Analyst/Agile Coach (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 25, 2019
The corporate culture here is very relaxed, everyone within my team was amazing to work with. Hours are flexible and micromanagement is no-existent at Thrivent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thrivent. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight