Thrivent logo

Thrivent Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Financial Rep

Featured review

Thrivent selected this as a representative review
As a Financial Rep with Thrivent Financial, your relating skills are of utmost importance, because gaining the confidence of your client can lock in business for the rest of your years. Thrivent is a Christian company with a focus on helping people plan for their futures. Asa representative you will gather your client's most private information and analyze it to help them plan to protect their assets and direct the growth. As a rep, I worked from home. I would visit clients in their home or office, and occasionally met with them in my own home. My process included a fact gathering meeting with the client, then inputting data into the software and analyzing the results. Comparing those results to the clients goals let me compile scenarios of what would happen in different situations. So, when we next met, I could then make recommendations of steps the client could take to manage their finances and protect their families. Typically, I used insurance and securities in my recommendations and sold those products. My goal was to earn their respect and confidence and to make friends for life. I also presented workshops and seminars on financial subjects, to inform and help people understand their situations. Topics included life insurance, Long Term care insurance, estate planning, retirement planning, Economic overview, Identity Theft and others. The autonomy I had with this job, made it enjoyable and forced me to manage my time. This job is for a self-directed person.

Pros

flexibility and self direction

Cons

commission only, no consistent income

Lots of workplace perks

I worked here as temp employee. There was a great incentive for all of us in our training class to get hired on as full time employees, with management monitoring our calls, etc. But in the end they only hired on 2 out of 30 from our class, I felt the company was kind of using temp employees with the promise of a full time job that wasn’t meant to be for most of us. Nonetheless I did enjoy my time there.

Pros

Cafeteria

Cons

Huge building must arrive very early just to get to desk on time

Great if you have all the time in the world. Pay is very deceptive

They are not up front about what you will be paid and when. The pay structure is very drawn out. You may not be fully paid for business you write until a year later.

Pushy sales environment, poor earnings and expectations were not realistic.

Management was dishonest and promised me support that wasn't there.They expect you to almost force your friends and family to buy their overpriced insurance products. My manager here in the New England region, was exceptionally dishonest and advised me to lie to sell.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Dishonest management that advised you to lie

Great tools for continued learning

Really enjoy working for this company. Employer attempts to help you do your best regularly. They offer a number of opportunities to get you involved at work and in the community.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Continuous change that can lead to unnecessary stress

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great co-workers

Enjoyed my co-workers immensely even if the senior leadership was often nearly completely directionless. Lots of changing course/shifting vision/layoffs/etc

Pushy sales environment, poor earnings and expectations were not realistic.

Had to do home visits and I did not feel safe. Too pushy on sales of mainly insurance products, I got all expenses out of my pocket. Management could have care less about me, they were looking for production.

Pros

I was given clients although they were poor leads.

Cons

High expenses to me, low payout and lack of support.

Great company

Good flexibility, great people, and great management. It is great to work with people that push you with their intelligence and their integrity! Leadership talent has been upskilled in the past few years.

Values Family and social impact

There is little room for advancement as an engagement leader and the role consistently changes. The company’s D&I strategy is awful and only speaks to being a more inclusive company without taking actions to do so.

Pros

Values Based, Great Work Life Balance

Cons

Can’t grow

All Business

Work/life balance is horrible, will help as much as possible if struggling, no effort to find opportunity to stay in company. Do not recommend unless have prior knowledge in field, knowledge and work required does not equal pay grade

Pros

Benefits, time off

Cons

Work/life balance is horrible, no raises, time is close monitored to the seconds, stressful

Jobs at Thrivent

See more jobs

If you sell our products

Great place if you want to push proprietary products that Thrivent makes you sell in order to maintain a contract with them. You are an “independent business owner” if you sell enough of their product.

Good but challenging

Takes hard work to succeed. Management and training resources could definitely been better. I watched a lot of peers burn out even sooner than I did. Great flexibility

Great people all around, just hard to make it when you're on your own

Thrivent is a great company overall -- highly ethical and they demonstrate a true love and care for their employees. This is a business that is hard to make it in when you first start out, but Thrivent does attempt to help you along the way.

Pros

Strong ethics, enjoyable people

Cons

Marginal training, overwhelming amount of information thrown at you

Management and flexibility are bad

It was a good place to work initially but many changes happened and it became less employee-friendly with very little flexibility and a high focus on data and metrics. Management is on your case about everything from scheduled breaks and lunches and following those scheduled times exactly to maintain adherence percentages. If you apply and accept the job, work hard on those metrics to get out of the call center or don’t bother applying here at all.

Pros

Pto, Vto

Cons

Management, scheduled breaks, no flexibility

Over 20 years there. Not the same anymore.

Thrivent used to be an energizing place to work. No longer. Management, especially in IT, is secretive, disorganized and two-faced. Many decisions are made behind closed doors by the trusted few. My career spanned a wide variety of positions, including management. The politics were thick towards the end and I was never happier than my last day there. Thrivent has not grown with the times. They still think their value proposition is unique but it is not. The products are lackluster but they believe they are special. They live in a bubble.

Pros

Good work environment, good peers

Cons

Poor leadership, poor vision, poor management

Highly competitive, cutthroat culture with little to no opportunity for advancement. Employee favoritism exists among the management. Good employees leave for other opportunities.

Pros

Pto, Vto

Cons

Toxic culture, little to no room from growth, lacks inclusion

Good work place culture

I started my career here and learned a lot of valuable skills to not only develop my skills but learn the skills of other jobs of the company too. Overall, I was satisfies with my time at Thrivent.

Just like every other insurance company

Unless you’re given a large book of business, have a large, lucrative natural market, know a ton about the industry already, or have manager/veteran willing to work with you closely, you won’t make it in the business. Learning curve too steep and the amount of time given to build business is extremely short. You are nickel and dimed on everything. It is supposed to be your business but you really work for the company. Focus is on selling proprietary products and not what is in the best interest of the clients. Very cut throat and competitive. Just because they are Christian-based doesn’t really mean anything, especially when it comes to the environment. It can be very toxic. It seemed a bit cultish and antiquated. Recruiting and training is super old school.

Pros

Community outreach initiatives

Cons

Low pay compared to other broker dealers

Flexibility

I was working from home. I was able to manage my time wisely and meet my clients based on my preferred schedule. I met different clients from different parts of America.

Pros

Free Lunch at times

Cons

Healthcare Sucks

Stressful at times

Can be stressful—little contact with management—long hours- low commissions - micro management by team leader- promised different work hours but changed schedule without notice.

Pros

Nice team members

Cons

Low pay

Save yourself the time

The culture from the top down is horrifying. I seen the highest turnover of any organization during my time there. I do not know any individuals that are happy working in this organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thrivent. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss