Thunder Valley Casino Resort Employee Reviews

Never again
Customer Service Specialist /Server (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAApril 24, 2019
This was going to be a summer job. I just moved to the area my job is as a Phlebotomist. I was unable to get a transfer just purchasing a home I needed an immediate income. So, it was only 10 minutes from my home. I started on the swing shift part time, was able to sign up for a bid for F/T early mornings I was able to get benefits.
It was ok until things just kept happening and nothing was done by the Management, Human Resources and the Union.
It's a Joke to work there.
Pros
Benifits
not THAT great
Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAApril 11, 2019
was hyped to work at this job and as i worked there it was not great as what was made to be. no work/ life balance. the manager clearly doesn't have a family of their own or they'd understand the complexity of taking care of kids and having to go to doctors appointments and school appointments while also trying to work. if you schedule an appoint meant and it falls on a day that you end up having to work you better reschedule the appointment because they won't give you the day off. theres a lot of favoritism and two faced people in the workplace including management. if you don't fit the physical attributes they won't keep you past your 90 days and use every excuse they possibly can when letting you go. i don't recommend working here if you have a family because they clearly don't care about family issues.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
poor management, careless when having a family, discriminatory on physical attributes but try to keep it secretive between favorite employees
Great environment and exiting.
Porter (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, CAApril 2, 2019
Enjoy working there, only if it was closer to my home and/or avoid the amount of traffic which is my constant every day battle. The only way I would relocate is if I could find something closer to my home.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
Short breaks
If you like smoke in the air
Utility Porter (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAMarch 26, 2019
Being a utility porter was an easy task although the supervising and management to the department treated employees not fairly equal and the department had so-called union protection which did nothing more than take from the paycheck.
Pros
It's a casino
Cons
Not for smoke free people
Good Benefits
Server (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, CAMarch 18, 2019
The benefits are really good, and there are a lot of great people working there. it can be stressful sometimes and it has some issues but overall I enjoy working there.
Benefits
Cons
hectic
Great interim job but don't stay
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, CAMarch 10, 2019
Great place to work for if you are between jobs. VERY STRICT BACKGROUND CHECKS. Due to other casinos opening up, they are being forced to pay more competitively so you benefit in the end. Immediate management is great but that intimacy is lost as you move up the chain of command. Current system for calling out causes wrong people to be hired for promotions and the best talent leaves. People that you work with are down to earth for the most part and creates a great work environment.
Pros
Free lunches, good medical/dental/vision insurance, good corporate culture
Cons
Paternal leave, bereavement leave is awful. Workman's comp is lackluster. People easily replaced.
Loved working here
Cook (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAMarch 1, 2019
Working here was an amazing experience develped many kills in the culinary and catering worlds. Many opportunities for advancement within this company is great.
Pros
Benefits are awsome
Cons
High volume may not be ok for some
Easy Job
Dealer (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMarch 1, 2019
Table games is a good position to work. Highly recommended if you don't mind the cigarette smoke. The dealer position has bad pay since they go by federal instead of state starting at $8.25 however with tips pooled it comes out to a decent amount however base pay for other casinos are higher even though they are not as successful.
Pros
Free food, lots of breaks
Cons
Cigarette smoke.
Poor job security
Bar Porter (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, CAFebruary 28, 2019
everyday is a hit or miss with work flow. it could be busy or slow depending on the day. ive learned how to be patient and make drinks. it has very poor management and you are unappreciated for the hard work you do. the turnover rate is very high. hardest part of the job no promotions.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
poor managment
Great co-workers
Cage Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAFebruary 12, 2019
This is a fast paced environment with opportunities for advancement. Shifts are day, night, and graveyard sometimes with overtime. Weekends and holidays are a must.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Noisy & smoky environment
Fun work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAFebruary 8, 2019
Working as a server at thunder valley was a great way to get back on my feet. It’s a fast pace and interesting place. The positive work environment is refreshing.
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Flee infested
Fast working environment
Casino Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAFebruary 6, 2019
It's a fun environment, they give the necessary tools to improve your carrier , also helps you to become better providing free courses and schooling tools to improve yourself and encourage you to move up by promotion , they provide great benefits!!!!! It's a dream job...If you are a single person I would totally recommend working here!!
Pros
Free buffet, lunch time 30 min, and you get two 15 min break
Cons
None if u are single
Fast paced environment, good pay.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAJanuary 26, 2019
Fast paced environment, with good pay. They provide you with your uniform. Opportunity for advancement. There are many rules. There is always something to do there. A lot of people go there.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
None.
First company I never wanted to manage for
Dealer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, CAJanuary 16, 2019
The management style of the company has changed drastically in the past 5 years. When I first start at Thunder Valley it was a company that took great pride in its work place professionalism and its staff. It has greatly changed to a corporate management style where it is more concerned with the bottom line and less concerned with the wellbeing of the staff. They have slowly taken away many of the small benefits once given to the staff from small gifts all the way down to the number of days off you may have and the number of breaks you receive. The departments that are covered by the union are safe and healthy departments to be in. The other departments are not.
As a dealer you get paid less then state minimum wage living in one of the most expensive states in the U.S. You will work in a smoke filled environment, standing 8 hours a day, dealing face to face with degenerate gamblers that are exceptionally rude, with a management staff that will allow the guests to verbally abuse you constantly, blaring loud music and noise levels, lower management that lacks the ability to communicate what so ever on a professional level, lower to middle management that show up to collect a paycheck every week and not for much more, and tips that have are on average 40% less then what they were 10 years ago.
The moral of this department is gone and the company treats it as if they don't care because every dealer can be replaced by anyone off the street. No level of dedication, training, or experience of an employee has any meaning to this company what so ever... you are replaceable.
If you
  more... want days off you need to request them six months in advance to have any chance in getting them and if it is a holiday and you aren't six months in advance in your request... to bad No Way.
To advance as a dealer you have to take classes to learn new games. You do not get paid for your time to learn these game, sometimes 4 to 6 weeks at 4 hours a day, and learning certain games can make you ineligible for days off in the future. If you do move up to management you can and will be fired at the drop of the hat over a guest complaint, illness, or mistake., and your medical insurance co-pays and costs are terrible.
This is the first company I've ever worked for that I had zero interest in becoming a manager for because of these issues.
Pros
Good Health Benifits after you become full time and free meals
Cons
Schudling, pay, Poor benifits if you reach management, work environment
Great company to work for!
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAJanuary 12, 2019
I started there before the big expansion. But no matter how big the property got, everyone still knew everyone. Family feel. Management team was great and the benefits were amazing too. Company picnics, bonuses, parties, etc. They always made the team members feel appreciated.
Pros
Benefits, compensation and location.
Cons
If you like being terminated for a disability... Work here!
Dealer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAJanuary 7, 2019
I have a disability. Not going to go into detail, but was recently terminated from Thunder Valley due to attendance. Had doctors notes FOR the days I could not be present for work... One of which I was in an emergency room, so I physically could not be there. I also had documentation stating I was being treated for said disability, and still was put up for termination. Nowhere in policy does it state there is a no fault on attendance, and I was also not given any other option, but to resign or be terminated. Not even the opportunity to talk to an EEO officer that was supposed to be offered to me. Alternatively I could have also taken a 30 day upaid leave which was also not stated to me, to preserve my job during said flare up. I wasn't given any reasonable accommodation, or FML because I didn't meet hours required due to missing work or leaving early. The discrepancy between word of mouth and what is written in policy is sickening. These people do what they want, and you can't fight back due to them being a tribe of a sovereign nation. I personally am now unemployed, and wasn't terminated on fair grounds, since I couldn't actually be present for work. It's a great place to work, but finding out that HR is crooked as they get, turns me off to the place as a whole. I'm also not the first time this has happened. I know people first hand that have been terminated, fought it, and won because they founds discrepancy within themselves against policy. I unfortunately lost that battle, because I have tried reaching out with no response. Probably because they know they're in the wrong  more... here. Don't work here is my point. You're promoting criminal activity towards their own employees. Bear in mind I'd been working for these people for 2 and a half years, with no issue other than a good amount of callouts in the last 12 months, and specifically the last 2.  less
Pros
Free food (lackluster quality), Good pay for easy job, Love my supervisors
Cons
No sympathy, HR is crooked, Cowardly
Dealer
notified supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CADecember 26, 2018
Adhered to appropriate gaming regulations, policies and procedures; handled guest transactions for buy-ins, pay-offs and markers; notified supervisor of any irregularities in the play and/or transactions during the shift; took losing bets and paid winning bets according to established rules and procedures; maintained current knowledge of the game being dealt, and informed players of any rules and procedures as necessary.
Best Place I've ever worked
Slot Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CADecember 17, 2018
It was a fun, friendly, helpful environment. Good benefits, Provided food, they really seemed to care about their employees. Worked with you as much as possible with schedules.
Pros
Free lunch
Good Company to work for
LEAD ADVERTISING DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CANovember 29, 2018
Whether you're trying to find a career or you're still "figuring" things out, I recommend working in a casino. Specially if you work in the hospitality, marketing, or food and beverage. People in these areas in the casino environment are very experienced. You'll learn a lot.

Lastly, working for a tribal casino, the owners treat their employees very well...includes free lunch, lavish holiday parties, and possible entry to cool shows.
Enjoyed working with thundervalley
Porter (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CANovember 15, 2018
Cleaned machines, swept floors, moved tables, assisted with guests, clean ash trays,recycle, throw trash away, dust machines, place chairs in proper spots.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thunder Valley Casino Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Thunder Valley Casino Resort Reviews by Location