TIAA Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Tiaa
Money Movement Rollover Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 13, 2018
TIAA is a good company to work for, they manage millions of clients retirement plans. I enjoyed working for them and had hoped to be there for years. The company is managing changes, their 20/20 plan, and may of us have been downsized, displaced out of work do to the changes.
Pros
Flexible work environment
Cons
Not to good on following all rules
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 29, 2018
TIAA is a great place to work. Great managers and the WMA's are really easy to work for. I love the culture and the professionalism. I have really enjoyed my time here.
Pros
Cons
More Pay
No comment
Program / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 25, 2018
The management team I work with was pretty good. However, the accommodations provided for an IT employee (I was a contractor), not so much. A better work environment would be a positive.
TIAA: Very professional culture with highly skilled people
Editor in Chief, Senior Investment Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
TIAA is an exceptional firm with good people. There is consistency throughout the firm in terms of their corporate values and emphasis on serving the client with integrity.
Pros
Having been there almost a decade, I worked autonomously and remotely which worked out very well.
Cons
The pay is not competitive with other financial services organizations.
Culture focus is not on Customer needs
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJune 23, 2018
Management pushes selling products vs. focus on customer needs. Support is only to sell products and not focus on what is best for clients. Customers
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Core values not enforced
routined work place
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 18, 2018
The call center is mundane with strict rules regarding PTO, and mandatory over time. The IT department has a lot of autonomy with regards to projects.
Financial and Pension operation
Project Lead (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 18, 2018
A typical day starts with going through e-mails, identifying and scheduling meetings and determining 3 key items to accomplish each day. Hardest part of job not being co-located.
Pros
Benefits plan
i liked the walking trails around campus.
Sr Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28262June 13, 2018
Great place to work, but high stress. i was able to work remotely if needed with no problems from the management team which was a nice option to have when needed. I really enjoyed working there i had a great team of coworkers.
Professional and Productive
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 6, 2018
A typical work day at TIAA is very energetic. I have learned to be very flexible. The culture at TIAA is very diverse. The hardest part of the job was the commute to and from work, while the most enjoyable part of the job was collaborating with associates working as a team to resolve all issues.
Great Company, Great Culture
Staffing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 6, 2018
TIAA is a great organization that for the most part cares greatly about it's greatest asset... it's employees. Terrific culture for career development and success.
Pros
Workplace culture
Cons
hours

Want to know more about TIAA?

Ask a question
Great Benefits
Recordkeeping Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 4, 2018
Work/Life balance was always a challenge. Work was a challenge, as not every item is the same, and so may variables existed. The company has many programs to help promote inclusiveness. There is a doctor's office on site, with a low co-pay for employees, and an onsite cafe.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
not a good environment in Information Security
Senior Security Risk Analyst, (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 3, 2018
Not a good environment for employees that seek to grow in information security
Low morale exists with employees in information security
previously worked as a contractor and was offered a perm role in EIS, had to decline because salary offer was 30k less than what someone with my experience in the industry would make
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
little opportunity for advancement
Demanding call center work.
Individual Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2018
A great place to work. Especially the benefit package. Everyone starts in the inbound call center. You must work some nights and weekends at first. If you stick it out it is very rewarding.
Productive and fun
Contractor Pride One (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2018
Excellent work environment . Working with great professionals. Leadership is awesome. I wish I can go back to work with TIAA again. Enjoyed my time at the office with such a great team.
Pros
lunches
Cons
breaks
Constant Change
Senior Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 30, 2018
The asset management side is constantly changing which means restructuring and layoffs about every 6 months. Overall TIAA company offers more stability and incredible benefits.
Great company
Individual Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2018
I started at TIAA right out of school and worked there for a long time. I left because there was a job reorganization, my position was moving down south and I did not want to relocate.
Best Company I've worked for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 29, 2018
I loved working for TIAA. There was a company mission and a desire to do right by our clients - and the benefits were excellent. I'm sad they eliminated my position.
Great company culture
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2018
TIAA has a great company culture. I learned a lot of the company's processes and system during my internship in TIAA. Everybody from the associate through director was very helpful and resourceful.
Decent company, but hard to advance for most internal candidates
Senior Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 24, 2018
TIAA has a great heritage, mission, vision, and values, and the top tier of leadership really seems to buy into them. Benefits are good, and the organization is large enough that you can find opportunities in whatever you're looking for if you wait long enough for an opening and are willing to claw your way over external candidates and management toadies to get an interview.

Unfortunately, openings don't often come up other than at the lower levels, and when they do, they often get filled externally or handed to the toadies of the middle managers filling them. In this company it's mostly about who you know and how you approach them and less about what you've proven you're capable of and the potential for you to add value in the next open position.

While upper management seems on point, it's hit or miss whether you'll be working for a great manager or a horrible one at the mid-levels, and there are some really bad mid-level managers who never quite get retrained or weeded out, which of course begs the question of what Upper Management is really focused on...The only real upside is that job security is decent. hit the mark and you usually stay out of the layoff pools.
Pros
Great Benefits Package, Good Job Security
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement without extensive boot licking, poor work-life synergy, Obvious disconnect between upper & middle management
Leadership
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 21, 2018
The company needs more leaders than managers. There are many in leadership roles that are not equipped to lead or motivate employees. Some departments have no room for growth, which may lead to frustration.
Pros
diversity and inclusion, benefits, and health services on campus
Cons
salary and job titles are not equivalent to what a person does.