TIAA Employee Reviews

Multiple Positions and Career Moves
Director, Business Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2018
TIAA is very different today compared to a few years ago. A non-profit with multiple billions of dollars in managed assets has driven the company to lose some of its core cultural attributes. Today, it is like working for any other investment company.
Pros
Ability to work remotely.
Cons
Hierarchy and Bureaucracy.
Really a special place -- some old fashioned leaders and practices, but the mission is very exciting and fulfilling anyway.
Content Strategist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
There is no doubt that you like your work best when you're improving the world. I was also surrounded by smart professionals who supported my work and commended me when it was good. The team spirit was so energizing.
Pros
Excellent deep, difficult work.
Cons
Like every group, there are politics.
Trying hard to be great
Six Sigma Black Belt (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 15, 2018
Fun workplace, great people. very enjoyable work, nice people, willing to learn new things, amenable to changes. Smart workforce with focus on efficiencies & improvements
Collaborative culture, good actuarial rotation program
Actuarial Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
For actuarial students TIAA offers a good rotation program where one could get exposure to different aspects and gain skills that would be marketable going forward.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Slow moving bureaucracy
Laid Back Environment
Individual Consultant, Web Support (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXSeptember 12, 2018
TIAA is a great company to work for. The atmosphere is great, the people are great, and I love all of the social events! They have great benefits and 401k plan along with other investments to help build your financial portfolio successfully.
Solid company with an excellent core of individuals.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 6, 2018
Great company with excellent benefits. The company tries very hard to provide the lowest cost to its clients and is competitive and honest with how it presents it's investments.
Pros
Client centric
Cons
Depending on the department one works, there is little flexibility.
Great place to work and learn
Investment Systems Developer III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2018
I arrived a programmer but immediately exposed to be a SQL DBA as well. The IT Manager and Senior DBA cross-trained me in various support functions and capacity which was enhanced my career.
Excellent employer
Life and Annuity Consultant II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 31, 2018
TIAA is a great place to work, a great culture, you are well trained to complete the tasks you are asked to do. They have a great compensation, pay and bonuses. Also there is a wonderful pension program.
Pros
great perks, pension
Cons
not all management lives by the culture
A very good place to re-learn fund accounting
Mutual Fund Accountant / Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2018
Brought in to conduct all facets of fund accounting. As the assignment progressed the staff was introduced to converting the accounting system out of TIAA-CREF to State Street Bank. I was able to draw on my previous experience to facilitate the project.
Pros
Able to work indepently
Cons
work schedule was 12:00-8:00
Great organization, good benefits and training.
Product Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2018
Launched new products and services and educated plan sponsors on new products and services and provided educational services for their staff. Achieved 10% increase in client acquisition.
Pros
Leader in financial services invesstment offering for client base.
Cons
Limited resources lead to slow launches.
Management didn't take care of ongoing problems with team members that didn't process the work.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 26, 2018
There is little opportunity to advance and the same issues are ongoing and were never addressed. They were simply ignored and allowed to happen. The systems were slow and constantly misbehaving. When something was being implemented in the system to advance the working ability, it seemed to do the opposite.
Pros
Benefits, co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Worked as a contractor.
Sr ETL Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 26, 2018
No respect to each other and worked in small team and micromanagement. No career growth and no work life balance. Latest tools and enterprise standards followed.
great company
Client Relationship Consultant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2018
only there for short period of time. Liked my managers and the people that I worked with. Very decent culture. training on the job was thorough and efficient.
Pros
decent pay (60k plus)
Cons
non that I can think of
I'm so happy that I..
Director (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 22, 2018
TIAA was one of my best experiences in life. It was like I was in college again. The best training in the world... high-performance culture and very committed to their mission.
Pros
Training
Cons
It got very political...platform conversions were horrible.
Limitied mobility.
Client Relationship Consultant (CRC) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 20, 2018
Better know somebody or you'll go nowhere. They talk about job work/life balance, but there isn't any such thing there. It's a constant culture of do more with less.
review
Accounting Generalist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 13, 2018
working there was great, management was nice and the campus was beautiful. there was great opportunity for advancement, and it was pushed. this job was contractor, the only reason I left was because I found full time.
Great
Financial Payment Specialist, Payment Operations (Former Employee) –  NY City, NYAugust 10, 2018
TIAA was like a family. The management was very open and they made it their business to include the staff in all that was going on in the company. They offered many opportunities to learn new things and higher education. The group that I worked for helped each other and we always completed all the work that was assigned to us. It was a great place to work.
Pros
Cons
nothing
Fun
Salesforce Consultant (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJAugust 7, 2018
It was wonderful experience working with the team here i gained a lot of knowledge on lighting and the team was very aggressive they use to finish the task with in the time.
Fun
QA Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 2, 2018
It was a good overall experience where i excelled in my expertise for my future endeavors. I very grateful i have worked here. Thank to the management.
TIAA is good company that most people have not heard of.
Programs & Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 2, 2018
TIAA is a well respected company in the financial sector. Due to the nature of their business, most people don't know who there are. TIAA is good company to work for and offer broad opportunities for growth. the company is expanding it's offering and customer solutions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TIAA. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

77%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss