Tierra del Sol Foundation Employee Reviews

Amazing work environment with excellent commitment to mission
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CADecember 10, 2018
Is amazing how I went to work everyday thinking that I was there to help individuals with developmental disabilities to improve their lives but they always manage to create a moment for me to learn from. I learned so much from my directives and always make me feel like an important part of the puzzle. At times it was hard to find ways to break down walls and obstacles to continue to develop ways to help improve their lives. Their smile and how honest and pure their love was towards me does not have comparison,
Pros
Many
Great opportunity
Human Resource Internship (Former Employee) –  Sunland Valley,CANovember 18, 2018
I grew within the company. I was able to learn more about human resources and enjoyed recruiting. I had a strong team and developed a long lasting network. Kevin Panet was amazing.
Really enjoyed working with our clients
Instructor/Job Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAJune 26, 2018
Tierra del Sol is a non profit organization and actually felt like I made a difference guiding our clients. Unfortunately the pay is the con. The pace of work was not stressful in any way.
Pros
Working with client and making a difference
Cons
pay
Purposeful and Rewarding
Floater Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sunland, CAJune 23, 2018
There are days which could be a bit hectic but other days are just fun and life learning. I learned that we are surrounded with a large population of clients with disabilities who still manage to live a meaningful life. Which lead me to want and expect more of their capabilities and just go out into the community to educate them on supporting and driving our clients to sucess. Managment were a good assest, most which gave it there best intrest in adressing the needs each client indidvidually. I would say the hardest part of th job is the salary. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people through either work related or volunteer sites, due to the impression our clients gave and knowing that what once was a hope, now is a reality to those families or clients with disabilities.
Pros
Benefits, Paid phone bill, and chrome book provided (Work-related)
Cons
Salary
I have over 20 years of experience working with individuals with special needs at the facility plus some more years at other organisations.
Instructor for people with disabilities (Current Employee) –  1419 Sunland Blvd Sunland Ca 91040June 7, 2018
great interesting working with clients with different needs, I have learned a lot for example: how to be more kindness with the ones are less vulnerable, The hardest part for when u have left some activity where u are comfortable
Outgoing and productive
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAJune 1, 2018
I learned if my title was a secretary it won't matter, I had to be a team player and help where it needed. I was a sub instructor for a few hours or even for the day, due to short of staff. Nevertheless, it helped me to be the person I am today.
Low pay bad management
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CAMay 5, 2018
Very low pay .. they expect you to do so much .
Most students are just copying off images and not really learning independently, or lifetime art skills ..
Pros
Non
Cons
Low pay, stressful
poor middle management.
Volunteer Services Coordinator /Master Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAApril 6, 2018
I appreciate the training and mission, however, the advancement opportunities are not present. Management lacks professionalism, as well as the ability to treat all employees with respect. Would not recommend this organization for employment.
Pros
nice employees
Cons
bad management.
A place where you can learn a lot
Instructor (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 14, 2018
Great company. Manager are very flexible and professional. You get a lot Holidays off and pay. You get a lot of benefits. Sick days, personal days and vacations
Started my career as an education specialist!
Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAFebruary 25, 2018
The best thing about this job was the family I worked with; I'm still close friends with them to this day and it's been 6 years! This job also did spark my love and interest for the special education community and for that I am grateful. However, it was managed poorly and they didn't work well with the family and weren't always professional when it came to communicating with them. The family loved me though so that was good!
Okay
Work Force Development Instuctor (Current Employee) –  Sunland, CAFebruary 16, 2018
Pay is not good for what you do. Although you are helping others, they always expect more more and more. They are a good company to work for and gain experience but not to grow in.
Not very supportive to their employees.
Trainer/Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAAugust 2, 2017
My job itself is very rewarding to be able to help adults with special needs. Looking at the consumers light up when either taking them or doing things that they never experienced is such a heart warm feeling. Giving them words of encouragement when they felt as if they could not handle a task, yet they did. Giving them hope and sense of normality that they seek is an overwhelming feeling of joy. Unfortunately the mission and value of this company are not what they stand for. Very unorganized and have a high rate of turnovers.
Pros
Rewarding in helping others
Cons
Unorganized, lack of staff, demeaning
All employees kind and very helpful. You can count on any of them if you need help.
INSTRUCTOR/COMMUNITY BUILDER (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAMay 22, 2017
Comfortable place to work, good environment, managers ready to help in any occasion, best part in when any of your clients achive a goal no matter how small it is for them is like the best feeling and it is so great like it was you the one achieving it. Those are the little things that you never forget.
Overall great environment .
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAMarch 14, 2017
I learned from work how to work different individuals with different disabilities. Different ways on managing the ways some clients are out in the community.The most enjoyable part of work are the clients being abel to make their day and knowing that you make a difference in their life.Meaningful!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Healthcare, Dental care, 401k
Fun place and environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunland, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Nice people to work with and the students are very energetic. The environment makes you feel as if you are not at work and you enjoy the time with everyone around you.
Tierra del Sol Foundation Experience
NEXUS Community Coach (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 1, 2016
Great non-profit organization working with the special needs population. Learn different techniques to work with people living with various disabilities. Employees and employers are respectful to each other and to the clients. Very family-oriented and goal driven place to work. Pay can be better, but is fair. Always room for improvement, but there is always feedback about job performance.
Pros
Employee appreciation events
Cons
Pay is not enough
Amazing agency
Community Integration Services Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CANovember 2, 2015
This agency has proven to be one of the best agencies that provides services for developmentally disabled youth and adults. Their mission is to serve our clients with the highest level of respect services and continue to do so by employing qualified staff, thorough training, and a person centered approach to all cases. Amazing agency to start in social services.
Pros
training, flexible scheduling, friendly and helpful staff.
This place will challenge you to think outside of the box
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 22, 2015
You must have compassion and intellect for this role. Be prepared for surprises and working with various personalities.
Pros
paid lunch
Great place to work and grow
Master Job Trainer (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 31, 2015
Great team of people! Your work is valued and management is very understanding. I have been with this organization for 3 years and i have learned so much about the community and the population we serve.
Pros
Great place to grow & amaizing day care
Cons
low pay
Good organization to work for to gain experience.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 31, 2014
Pros:
Overall TIerra is an excellent organization. Has a great benefits package for its employees including life insurance (which TDS pays for), the offices provide its employees with coffee, hot chocolate, and tea for their enjoyment. Great co-workers who really care about the clients they serve. Also, it feels good to work for a non-profit who does so much good for the developmentally disabled community.

Cons :
Pay is very low with no raises given. Very limited advancement opportunities. A lot of internal politics that tend to demoralize staff. Senior Management plays favorites in very obvious ways. Heavy work loads with limited resources (granted its a non-profit). A LOT OF MEETINGS! Inconsistent procedures from location to location.

Advice to Management:
Management listen to your staff! Fire all the incompetent staff, and start rewarding people who have given their life to this organization. I know times are tough and you're a non-profit but for god's sake figure out a way to give raises to staff again, that will increase moral more than all the Employee events (ETH's) aimed at doing this. Invest in staff and provide additional training to everyone not just DSPs. And from now on focus on building the foundation of future programs rather than launching half-hearted and not fully thought out programs that take more work to get in shape than if they would've have they been fully planned for.