TJ Maxx
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

TJ Maxx Employee Reviews

United States10,144 reviews

Found 10,144 reviews matching the searchSee all 10,197 reviews

Low pay, long working hours.

I enjoyed the job and the people that I worked with. The hours were long and the pay was low. Very physical job, on your feet for long stretches of time.

Unorganized

Working here was not the easiest. i was in school so they only scheduled me on the weekends. The manager was insane and wouldn’t understand if soemthing came up and I couldn’t work one day even with a notice. Doing things was always harder than it needed to be. It was a relaxed environment but the people who shop there aren’t the best and you constantly have to redo the same thing you just fixed

TJ Maxx insights

Based on 6,771 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

very fun

great people. It was very fun working environment and i always left a shift feeling satisfied. they allow you to grow and expand in whatever field you are working in

Fast paced

Great place to work at, super fast paced. Having great customer service skills is a must. Low stress job unless you work long hours, other than that it’s very manageable and fun to be a associate.

Pros

Free snacks. Decent start pay. Friendly

Cons

High demand for Credit apps in front end.

Its great, so long as you enjoy toxicity

It's a fine place to work, so long as you stay below management, and keep your head underwater and act like you're a blind bat to all its bull and "great" managers. (sarcasm)They will try to F you over if you're not in their little "groupie" collection and have 0 issues with grapevine and talking behind your back. your fellow underwater coworkers are pretty awesome though. But don't be surprised when you see them all leaving one by one without warning.

Pros

They used to have them...

Cons

Managers, overworked, even worse pay

Good high school job. Do not move up in the company it’s a joke!

I was a CEC. I loved working there for the first year then I got promoted and I hated coming to work. You work 10x harder and get paid chump change. To be the one to deal with all the customers and front end employees they should be paying CECS at least 15 an hour. Over worked, stressed. If you don’t make that monthly goal for credits you might as well be the biggest mess up on the planet. I was never trained as a CEC they just threw me in because I was a beast at getting credits as a regular employee.

Fun and Chill job

This job was so easy that it was boring at times. Until you get to register trained (which can take months), expect to just wander around the store cleaning up for your whole shift. The pay was minimum wage, which I was fine with for the amount of work. The people are also generally really nice and willing to help.

Pros

Easy work, fun environment

Cons

Boring

Very Productive, Sometimes it was stressful

I worked at T.J Maxx before covid started, I worked with some really nice and encouraging people. They trained me very well, I learned a lot about customer service while working here, especially since this was my very first job. This wasn't really a hard job, the only stressful part was getting customers to sign up for a TJX card. The most enjoyable part of this job was building relationships with customers and TJX Members.

Productive and fast paced.

I think that it was a good job when I started and then they started to take away amenities. They no longer have covid guidelines and the pay per time off is poor. They do not take the time to teach associates about forklift safety for those who work on the floor and it becomes an issue when driving.

Mixed feelings, if being honest.

The first six months along with the onboarding process was fun, educational and highly focused upon our success. Shortly after, while looking for a new supervisor within my district, other managers from around the country were tasked with assisting us, while pilfering our district’s equipment and budget, also, this limiting our available resources. This sort of thing is… sort of normal within a corporate culture, sure, although quite a conflict of interest, yes, particularly within the field of Loss Prevention.

Helpful employees and management could be iffy

Management and coordinator could be a hit or miss. Many of the employees here do not mind helping you at all. If you ever have a problem, they would always help you. I would recommend that from the beginning you would tell the directly what days you cant work and make sure they keep it that way. Some of the managers (depending on who is scheduling) may schedule you, even if you asked. That’s a flaw they have and a former co worker complained about that. Some management might favor the customer over you, even if you’re right. If you have any problems with a customer, many people call the managers to deal with it. Overall, I enjoyed working here. I found a better job in this area that suited my needs for my husband and I. Its a great job for extra money and to learn A LOT about retail that you can carry to another job. I felt like I do a lot for little pay (pay starts a $13 and increases after x months) Also, this job can be miserable if you make it. Be respectful with them, listen to them, and be nice to them. Customers tend to dampen the employees moods, so try to keep a cool head with everyone.

Just a retail store

Overall just a retail store same as any other. Pro: They are really flexible with schedulingCon: Credit Cards

Leads know what they're doing, but higher store management act like middle schoolers

To be fair I worked in only one store and two of the four managers were a problem. Store Owner an one other primarily treated the place like it was middle school or high school, they did not trust their employees and multiple times were responsible for slowdown due to repeatedly giving conflicting orders. Leads though were rock solid individuals, everyone outside of management got along and knew what we were there for: to work. Advancement was non-existant. You would get a minimal pay raise but if you weren't hired into management you will never be promoted into it.

Pros

Free snacks in the break room

Cons

Lack of Advancement

Fun workplace

Excellent entry level position for cashiers, frequent changes in schedule so advise if you require stability, overall great environment lovely bosses.

Poor salary. They don’t have enough employees so you work hard and not good salary, I love the culture 👎🏼

You learn a lot, cash registers, markdown, , customer service, is different than the other retail. Processing clothes , processing shoes , purses,glasses.Yes you learn a Lot .

The flexibility was the best thing I loved about being employed at TJMAXX. Great place to be employed by.

I really enjoyed working at TJMAXX and working in production was a plus for me. There were genuine people employed there and people who I avoided and kept my distance from. Would love to reapply and become a team member there again real soon.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

No structure in some departments

The team worked amazingly together.

I loved the team I worked with. They were so supportive and helpful for each other. We knew we could depend on each other and our management team. The manager helped as I was a single mom and he helped work around my kids' school schedules.

Expect too much

Expect too much of you for very little pay. You cannot make a mistake, otherwise you will be in trouble. For a company that expects perfection, they sure dont make it easy. High turnover rate.

It would be a great place to work, but...

It would be a great place to work if management really cared for its employees; instead of the how many per day of donations, credit application each individual employee gets. Management only cares for the numbers, instead of retaining employees. But, yet grumbles when employee put their two weeks notice in. They schedule employees as little or as much as management likes. One week an employee is scheduled 8 hours the next week 20 hrs. Weekly schedules change every week. There is no consistency to this local store. One cannot make a living, when the work schedule is so inconsistent. It seems, management was never properly educated in how to effectively manage available employee hours in a given month.

They run all their employees away

Terrible management . A lot to tasks to do before closing . They never have enough staff so you have to do everything with just 6 sometimes 3 people .

It can be fun but the customers can be tough.

Some of the questions does not pertain to me as I'm an older adult not looking for advancement. My 30 hour work week is sufficient. However the management team and my coworkers are great people to work with.

Pros

Free lunches and snacks are provided when budget allows.

Cons

N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TJ Maxx. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight