TJ Maxx

TJ Maxx Employee Reviews

United States11,500 reviews

Found 11,500 reviews matching the searchSee all 11,567 reviews
tjmaxxstorecardretailassociatecredittjxmerchandise

Low pay, long working hours.

I enjoyed the job and the people that I worked with. The hours were long and the pay was low. Very physical job, on your feet for long stretches of time.

Micromanage

Decent place but management could be better. Good with working with student schedules but managers do pick favorites at times. As a start up job it’s a decent place

TJ Maxx insights

Based on 7,917 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility

Good for college students

Developed many skills needed for everyday life such as customer service skills, and time management skills. Very diverse work culture, and ideal for anyone looking to work part time alongside school.

Fun Workplace

Great place to work. I stated as a seasonal employee and stayed on as a permanent employee. Hours are great and there is always something to do. Also the discount is great too.

Fun but very busy place to work

Everyone was nice just gets busy and the lines get long overall i would say I’d enjoy it the management was great. The hardest part was when we would be understaffed and there would be a lot of people.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Busy

Productive and Fun workplace (see description)

I worked at this TJ maxx for almost 3 years and absolutely loved my job. It’s pretty fast paced on busy days but also super chill. Absolutely loved management they always went above and beyond for me and were always accommodating with my hours. I made so many life long friends working there. However after transferring to another location in Charlotte NC my experience there has been nothing short of awful. No flexibility with hours whatsoever and they are not accommodating to your needs. Extremely dirty and disorganized work environment and not great communication. The pay is alright but takes a very long time to get any sort of raise. My advice is to do a lot of research on the specific location you are applying for before taking the job because it depends on the location.

Not worth my time

I worked here for a month and realized why it had such a high turnover and could not hire people. It was a clique and you were not taught the needed tools to succeed here. The driving of Credit Cards were a nightmare too. So much pressure on you to sell a card to people and as a Coordinator like I was you had to coach the Team if they did not make those goals and watching other Coordinators treat the team how they did if they did not make those goals was just very uncomfortable. I have been in retail for over 30 years and in Management and I can say I was happy to leave after 1 month it was not a great experience at this location and to lead a team and only make 13.75 per hour was a joke as this was not even a living wage and only 26 hours a week just gross.

Pros

discount

Cons

Management, Culture, Pay and Credit Card Solicitation

Overall Decent, But Physically Demanding

Overall the pay and hours are good. It's a four day work week for 10 hour shifts. Seasonal overtime is a pain the butt because you get hardly any time at home, but those paychecks are fat. The supervision is awesome, but some of the AOMs (area operation manager) and other big wigs suck. The hardest part is honestly just standing on concrete for 10 hours. Once you're used to that, it's not bad. They are definitely getting more strict on certain things which is why I left, but I also just wanted a change of atmosphere. If possible, please don't go through a temp agency to get hired!! They let all temps go right before the 90 contract, you get paid less, and if you do get hired full time after being a temp, it takes you 15 months to get the full benefits of being full time. Either get hired directly through the company, or apply to a different job.

Pros

free lunch during christmas overtime, supervisors are great, pay is good

Cons

overtime season leaves no home time, very physically demanding, stressful

if your a teenager run while you cna

its not a bad job but i feel like there's better jobs. they respect your job and take what your saying into consideration however the work place is just nasty the back has trash all over the floor, and the break room chairs have bunch of food wrappers in them. if you can't stand messy place i wouldn't reccomend this location 7/10

great

great place very clean and nice company no regrets no worries and no problems management is nice associated ade grindly love my tjx card and i love shopping there

Loved working here. Had a great team to work with and management was wonderful. Would recommend if looking for a job to socialize and help customers.

Chill

When I worked there it was chill & easy they also have flexible schedule which is a plus. They will cross train you as well if you're willing to its honestly a busy store bur its not a bad place to work at

The management at store #1528, treated us like family they were amazing to work for

Store 1528....I didn't consider it a job I laughed so much each shiftManagement provided snacks an drinks Great opportunity for growth and advancement

Understaffed, underpaid and overwhelemed.

The job itself is simple enough, nothing too complicated or complex. However, depending on your management, this job can become a waking nightmare you cannot escape. Not enough payroll to get the job done efficiently or effectively, and not enough staff to facilitate the process as it should be. Nothing is ever enough. You can meet, even exceed, expectations and they will still ask you for more. Externally promotes an inclusive, friendly culture but internally the culture is very similar to high school. Very petty, chaotic, cliquey environment where anything short of blind obedience is seen and treated as outright disrespect. You are the favorite until you become to unfavorite, and once becoming the unfavorite there's no returning to the good graces of management no matter how hard you work or what you achieve. Little to no room for growth, despite advertising a love for promoting internally. Coworkers make the job tolerable enough but the low pay and constant criticism, even when you are following their explicit instructions, will leave employees overworked, underappreciated, and constantly burnt out.

Fun work environment

It was a great first job for me, especially while still in high school. If you like to interact with customers, and love clothes then this is the perfect job for you!

Productive and fun workplace

It was a good place to work, managers were very understanding and helpful and gave flexible schedules. I was always learning different tasks which was really nice to stay busy and made the shifts go by quicker.

Bad management and work environment

This place is terrible even for a teenager just looking for work. Management is constantly asking about rewards cards and surveys. Customers also constantly try return scamming the store and management likes to blame it on employees.

Can't keep people

Not a great place to work. Does not follow through on what is promised. Also does not train its employees well enough to be successful. If you work here you will have to figure things out on your own. They also do not have a good work life balance for coordinators or managers

My overall experience is overworked underpaid

What is the best part of working at the company?Vacation Pay is the best of working thereWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Overworked..Underpaid Tons of work to do..Little people to do it..High turnover rate What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The other associates make it okay..90%of the management is horrible..unprofessionalWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Lots of work..Not enough associates to help

Work somewhere else they give you no hours

This place does not give part time workers any hours. They will gone you 3-4 hours a week and expect you to be fine with it. They will lie in the interview process and say they will give more. There are a lot of favoritism of workers and if you don’t suck up to the managers you will not get hours. there are better places to work then this company.

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

A lot of favoritism going on

Good Job

Good job to gain experience for first-time worker. Cross-trained in multiple departments such as on registers and sales floor. It was fun stocking store when holiday merchandise arrived.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TJ Maxx. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at TJ Maxx.
Powered byComparably

Compare TJ Maxx with

• Department, Clothing & Shoe Stores
  • TJ Maxx
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?