TMC Transportation Employee Reviews

Work hours
Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 18, 2019
Enjoyed the job but I worked Wednesday through Saturday from 6 at night to 6 in the morning so the hours were not very good and the benefit package was very expensive when I did work there.
Pros
All overtime I wanted
Cons
Shift hours
Do Not Recommend
Flatbed Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 16, 2019
This company offers a bunch of things but once you start with them you start noticing a lot of the lies they tell. Got through orientation got put with my trainer and ran me 3 days with no food. I had to work through my 10hr reset as well as my 30 min breaks. No actual rest time with my trainer. Asked my Training Coordinator for another trainer and I was told to either keep my trainer or to leave when I told them I didn’t eat or even rest all I was told was “it happens”. DO NOT RECOMMEND TO NEW DRIVERS!! Companies like this is why the trucking community is dying out.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Management, “training”, hidden costs at start
truck driving
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 9, 2019
I was not there very long I had a young daughter at home I decided I am not a over the road truck driver.The guy training me in the truck drove like a zombie
Pros
nice trucks
Cons
over the road
Hiring area
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 27, 2019
Not understanding of military duties, left TMC for military deployment. I would have returned but did not feel appreciated. TMC gave me a start. I thank them for it and would strongly consider going back but the lack of appreciation and area to which I live Charleston, SC puts them out of reach.
Pros
Good equipment
Cons
not employee friendly in support of military USA retired 2013
Tmc
CDL Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 19, 2019
Nice trucks Clean trucks but definitely not a company I would recommend poor dispatchers no idling in hot summers they have so many weird junk rules no ear rings or piercings no long hair no baggy clothing no cut off shirts no headsets seatbelts no matter what cameras in truck under 24/7 record they tap in the cameras rather you bump something or not this company is really not worth the junk you have to deal with seriously
Pros
Nice trucks
Cons
Pay/idle
Class A driver/ now instructor at TMC
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 14, 2019
Company treated me well from the beginning and they still do.

From the paid training to the well trained trainer I had, this company knows what they are doing. I never felt for a second that I was in this alone. Safety is an utmost priority in their eyes and it shows by how much they put into the trucks and the gear(securement) you carry on truck.

I made the move to be instructor to be home with my family daily.
Pros
Money to be made
Cons
Away from family weekly OTR
The job was ok but not the best
Taper/ Yard dog driver (Former Employee) –  Silver Grove, KYMarch 12, 2019
The job there was ok but wasnt the best you didnt have set breaks you got the break when you was slow sometimes you wouldn't get a break. Mamangment really try to help with any issues you need help with always had to go higher up in the company to get help.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No set breaks or lunches
Helpful environment
Company truck driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 6, 2019
I would like to thank the tmc company for giving me my start. I learned much and my skill level grew with every load I delivered. My goal is to couple with a good company to maximize my potential.
It's all in the Fleet Manager
Flatbed Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 3, 2019
This job is great, the company is great, and if you're a veteran, they're really a great company to work for. They treat their drivers well, but ultimately it comes down to the fleet manager you have, i've worked with a few, one being my main fleet manager, and others being FM's that filled in for her. Most of them have been great, not a huge fan of mine. Other than that, they practice safety first, if you're not comfortable driving in certain conditions, pull the truck over, they won't ding you. The only downside is the trucks do 62mph and that's it, so it makes things a little interesting.
Pros
Great Equipment - Flexible Staff
Cons
Some FM's aren't looking out for you as a driver
Good equipment
Truck Driver Class A OTR (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 2, 2019
Depending on your fleet manager this flatbed job could be great or horrible. Due to my fleet manager experience my job was horrible. I was sent on all the less desirable routes as soon as my training period was over. The over the road trucking industry is for those who desire the career life in a truck.
Pros
Pay, Equipment.
Cons
Worklife.
was just starting
Orientation for class A driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 26, 2019
I only went through orientation at TMC. While I was there, I started learning the load securement process and started receiving my driving hours. We spent time reviewing and practicing.
Good company to start out with
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 24, 2019
Tmc is all in all a decent place to work. They give you some of the nicest equipment on the road today. They have a great maintenance program for their equipment. They have a great safety program as well. Pay is a little low for all that you have to do. Tarp pay is extremely low. The work that you have to do at tmc is very physical and it takes some time out of your day to secure a load properly. It can be very stressful when your fighting with securing your load and worrying about if your going to have enough time to make it down the road so you can reach your destination within the next day. Down fall is you get home friday night and leave back out by sunday afternoon normally. They care about their fuel mileage more than they care about you. They don't want you idling your truck all night long. Your work your but off for little appreciation
Pros
Nice Equipment
Cons
Home time and a lot of work for little pay
Good company poor management
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Gaston, SCFebruary 19, 2019
The shop manager always micro managed everything and made work life very stressful. If you had a family emergency and had to call out he’d always ask if there was somebody else that could help you out so you could come to work very unprofessional
Unprofessional. Terrible company
Driver (Former Employee) –  IowaFebruary 5, 2019
Terrible company. Unprofessional. Insensitive. Recruiters lie about everything. Recruiter called my phone so many times for me to join their team. I was a little hesistant because it was short notice and I have a family. Recruiter called me Friday, told me everything was ready for me, so had to leave the next day to drive 24 hrs pick up 2 other trainees to start training Monday and that all of my paperwork was submitted. Promised me a nice relaxing work and training environment, I guess he could tell I was little nervous, saying that the hotel would have flat screen TVs, pool, food and beverages are included. Upon my arrival unbeknownst to me I had to share a room with another trainee, it was a small box tv, and still had to pay for my food which he told me was included in my training. But it’s get worse! a week into my training they pulled me out saying my background didn’t pass and sent me home which is 18 hrs away on a bus immediately no compassion, no apology no nothing. WASTE OF TIME! UNPROFESSIONAL! VERY INSENSITIVE ABOUT PEOPLE LIVES AND FAMILY.
Worst manager I've ever had
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 31, 2019
Manager would call you out and belittle you daily. Asking questions for better clarificiation got you ridiculed in front of the entire office! She had her favorites and if you weren't one of them, prepare for daily belittment & embarassment. Our hard work is never appreciated.
Pros
Close to home, Hours, Pay & benefits
Cons
Manager is the worst! You don't fully learn your job duties due to training
Terrible place to work
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 18, 2019
The company fired me for being taken out of work by a doctor then turned around and held my last paycheck. This company is not worth working for and please avoid if you have a family because it is not worth the stress and being gone from the family!
Cons
Terrible management
Great opportunity working with TMC Transportation. The best experience a new driver who come fresh out of driving school can get.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 17, 2019
Great company! Great opportunity working for TMC Transportation. I believe all tractor trailer companies could learn a little from TMC Transportation. The company focus in training is Safety. They place a lot of time in teaching there new drivers how to load and secure the loads. The put the time in and I believe other companies benefit from there efforts. I know they have a high turn over rate but I believe they would have a higher retention level if they placed importance on the relationship with their vendors. Especially, loading and unloading their trucks. I would loses a day every week because the vendor would drag there feet in loading and loading my trailer. This factored in to how much I was getting paid. The company had great management the best equipment on the road. If i would go back to driving over the road it would be with TMC.
Pros
Best trucks, never any down times and best routes.
Cons
Waiting for customer to unload and load trailers.
Hog wash
CDL A DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 16, 2019
They tell you all this golden stuff at first then it falls apart less loads less money 200$ paychecks breaking down all the time no communication to fleet managers unless they want to answer what they want to answer sit for hours waiting on loads when there are loads right by you.
good place to start
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 9, 2019
decent place to start, if you are a suck up this is a good place for you. Equitment is nice, but 62 mph and underpowered unless you run on flat ground.
Pros
lots of work.
Cons
strick rules
Great place for beginners
Owner Operator Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 7, 2019
TMC is a great place to start entering the trucking industry’ good flatbed and driver training is provided as should be! No
Complaints about this company I enjoyed my time there
Pros
Decent pay for inexperienced drivers
Cons
Hard work lol

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TMC Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.