TNG Retail Services Employee Reviews for Retail Merchandiser

A step above a "paperboy", but you pay the expenses to run their business
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 24, 2019
No raise no matter how many years of quality service you put in (not even a cost of living increase). No mileage pay. The drive time you are paid is based off minimum wage & the amount of time it takes you to service a store 20 min. away will not cover the 40 min. round trip of drive time that costs you $10 for gas. You use your vehicle, your phone & your time to run their business. The expenses in gas, car parts/repairs, phones & phone service will exceed your paycheck. There is no respect from customers & some store employees because the products you service are no longer wanted (books/magazines), so they see you as being in their way. It's a very physical job that is more like a rigorous gym workout, including lifting heavy totes/boxes up over your head or crouched way down low (lifting, lugging, pushing, pulling, constantly up & down). It's a job to pass time (for the socialization with store employees) when your kids are in school, but by time you are done with the expenses, you are better off staying home (always cleaning to do) or finding a job that pays you what you are worth!
Pros
It's something to do, you have a week day off
Cons
Everything listed below
Horrible Merchandising Company
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIApril 16, 2019
I have been merchandising for over a decade and this is by far THEE WORSE company I have encountered. They expect for you to over work yourself for very little pay. If you are assigned books you get pallets and pallets full of books and they expect for you yo go above and beyond to work them although the stores do not even help to maintain areas in the stores. Magazines are very relaxing and easy.

Management does NOT thoroughly train you due to their extremely high turnover. When there is an issue in your store they support the store NOT YOU. Management also lacks transparency so when there is something going on they do not tell you
Pros
Set days but flexible times
Cons
No mileage reimbursement, no room for advancement, demanding workloads, low pay.
A day at TNG
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  SymnriaMarch 13, 2019
Day starts out working schedule stores in a route, Unloading Magazine from totes to shopping cart and then to magazine shelve . packing out of date magazines back to return totes for delivery to company warehouse.
Learning placement of titles and what sells the best where to place best titles first.
Supervisor is always there to help and management
working with TNG is fast , independent
Hardest part of job is throwing away magazines.over all it is a easy job
Most enjoyable part of job is helping and talking to all kinds of people in each store,
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
To much driving
hard to work for managers, very demanding for little money
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GAMay 30, 2018
It is very difficult to get any new store assignments. Instead of offering to other merchandisers, the manager posts a new job on a job board like Indeed. Manager is very difficult to work with, does not answer emails.
Pros
somewhat flexible
Cons
difficult managers, asks a lot for low pay
Great work place enjoyable environment
In - Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, INMay 16, 2018
I stock magazines, books, beverages and a few other things at different retail stores helping where needed when needed, take monthly magazines down and put up new ones
Pros
Friendly environment and people
Cons
Lots of things to do in a short time frame
Flexibility
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lancaster County, PAMay 6, 2018
Great flexibility in work hours; poor pay; management available to answer questions; great if you like working independently; learned about merchandising and rudeness of customers
Decent Company to Work for - Needs Better Pay.
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 18, 2018
I started in January 2018 - I like this job! The work is pretty easy & I can clock in/clock out with no one harbouring me to death about it. All done on a app , which is super easy! And I can wear casual clothing while working & it is nice! One thing though - it would be nice to be paid a little bit more - at least $12 to $14 a hour - it would help back to school students , parents with kids or grandparent have a decent little income for themselves & also help with gas/vehicle repair & such!
Pros
Clock In/Clock Out, Casual Clothing Preferred & All Work Done on App, Lunch Breaks are pretty decent!
Cons
Less Pay & No Benefits.
Job was ok, a few issues that need to be addressed
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 9, 2018
A few weeks into the job I noticed that the drivers weren't consistent when dropping off totes. You had to wait before you could start your day. If you had more than one store to deal with, chances where that your day was going to end early evening. Many times, more than six bins were stacked which was against policy. It was a safety issue, however, wasn't addressed with driver because it kept on occurring. Taking a day off once in awhile was an issue because of short staff. The manager was fairly new so they didn't know the protocol on reporting breaks, therefore, I got verbal warnings until I was told how to deal with it. Instructions on special displays were vague so you had to make a judgement call. I felt as though management wasn't addressing my concerns.
Pros
Somewhat flexible hours
Cons
Safety issues
fun,relaxing
Retail Merchandiser P/T (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 25, 2018
the most enjoyable company and part time job for me. work at your own pace and around your other projects, work close to home within 15. good job if you're a self starter
Flexible, but bad management
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 21, 2018
It seems as if the company cut back on hours and now made every employee part time so they would not have to provide benefits. there are zero part time benefits in place. The state that I live in is getting paid only $10 an hour which is not up to par with the economy here. Extremely disappointed in how this company treats its employees.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
no benefits, part-time only, low pay
unorganized
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSDecember 29, 2017
The company poorly train employees and question yiyu about something that you wasnt even trained to do. Also company give minutes notice if they want you to cover a store.
Pros
flexible
Cons
unorganized
flexible schedule
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 17, 2017
The best thing about TNG is the flexible work schedule. Some stores have set days to work, but most do not. It's a great source for extra income. It is also a great way to meet people.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
lots of driving between stores
Summary
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GANovember 15, 2017
I enjoy working for TNG because of the flexibility. They do not give me enough hours and the company hasn't given raises to any of their employees. They do not offer full time position, even though I'm not interested in full time I at least want to work 20-25 hours per week.
Relaxed atmosphere
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 7, 2017
Pay sucks! No insurance unless you're higher up in the company. There's no room for growth. You only work 3 days a week at $10.00 an hr. There's no pension, no nothing. ..
flexible part time position
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNSeptember 7, 2017
This position is a great flexible position part time employment, ideally for stay at home moms or college students.
Requirements must have valid drivers license as you will travel to various stores within community
Pros
fkexible hours
Cons
lifting of totes 50lbs
enjoyable workplace
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 27, 2017
great company to work for and very enjoyable great management you can learn alot from this job things you would have not learned before hand and best part of all you can move around to one place to another
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Tons of Flexibility, but...
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMay 31, 2017
Depending on the manager, you can pretty much create your own schedule, and you are on your own 98% of the time.

That being said, if you have a manager like mine, you'll have a hard time doing jobs when you don't get the necessary information, tools, etc. It's sometimes like working with a child, which I'm used to from previous retail experience.

It's fun, though. I've made some great friends at my stores, and this really works for what I need right now. Pretty much zero opportunity to advance, and very little hours (less than 15 on avg).
Pros
Very flexible, Occasional gifts (movies)
Cons
No advancement, little pay
Good company but low pay
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GAMay 17, 2017
My supervisor is the best! I enjoy working for this company but the pay is not in line with the amount of work required. I like the flexibility of my hours. I enjoy this job as it requires someone who is self motivated.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits
Flexible daily hours
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 2, 2017
Very flexible to allow you to schedule your own daily hours. Minimal supervision, but supervisor available if you need them. Daily duties involved loading and unloading/trading out weekly magazines and books at various stores/locations. Very laid back and casual environment. The carrying of shipping containers and being down on your knees were the most strenuous.
Stay Away
Retail "merchandiser" (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 21, 2016
First of all it's not so much a merchandising job as it is a stocking job. Merchandising requires thinking this is mindless work.

Second the industry is on its last breath. Space in retail stores is shrinking rapidly.

Management leaves lots to be desired. A lot of cast offs from within the industry that wouldn't or couldn't cut it in other retail operations. Over eager supervisors always trying to impress somebody.

Every store you work will undoubtedly express their desire to just be rid of magazines and books which makes your relationship with the store very difficult to maintain.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TNG Retail Services. Our community is ready to answer.