TNTP

Working at TNTP: 28 Reviews

United States28 reviews

Excellent company to work for!

Featured review

TNTP selected this as a representative review
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship with TNTP through the teachNOLA program. Great staff and excellent community atmosphere! Management is eager to help you grow and learn.

Harms the students they claim to help

My experience working as a teacher through Indianapolis Teaching Fellows with TNTP was one of the most traumatic and negative experiences of my life. After a short training program during which I never student-taught or even observed a veteran teacher, I worked at a failing school and was totally on my own as a lead teacher, with no experience. Management at ITF and TNTP expects high performance and gives minimal to no real support. "Support" consisted of one person from management who came in once a week and told me to "fake it til you make it" when I said I was struggling. Harsh evaluations were performed by complete strangers once a semester and had a huge impact on my grad school grade. I was expected to create my own curriculum from scratch as a first year teacher with no experience. Work was so awful and student behavior was so out of control that I wished I would get seriously ill or injured so that I wouldn't have to go in. If TNTP actually cared about kids and educators, they would work on placing and supporting quality, experienced teachers in under-served schools, not churning out inexperienced teachers who contribute to the damaging cycle of teacher turnover. There isn't a shortage of competent educators like TNTP claims. They are out there; they are simply unwilling to work in such terrible environments. Schools and systems (or the lack of systems) are the problem. We can't just throw more teachers into unsupportive, chaotic environments and expect things to change for the better. Avoid TNTP at all costs.

Pros

Cons

Extremely stressful, no real support, nearly impossible to succeed

TNTP insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

The mission

They offer a good benefits package. You get to work with values and mission driven professionals. There are a wide variety of projects you can work on.

Pros

Vacation

Cons

Heavy work load

Stressful & Non-conducive to Healthy Work-Life Balance

Great for single, childless professionals Telework opportunities (pro)Workload, Competing Priorities (Program Goals, Initiatives, Deliverables) (Major Cons)

Poor management/highly political

The environment is very toxic and stressful. Diversity is touted but they do not live their values and work tends to be driven by emotions and led by people who are privileged and disconnected from the lives and needs of the youth they say it is their "misson" to help. People tend to think they know what's best for everyone else - both employees and the students.

Productive, high pace environment.

TNTP is a high paced work environment with a high level of ambiguity in the work process. Excellent remote work environment, inclusive company culture, positive energetic work force.

Pros

Remote position

Cons

Compensation is below industry medium

Productive and dun working environment.

Excellent place to develop as a teacher. They not only train you to become a good teacher, but also teach you the skills required to do well in interviews.

Worked there on the Summer Fellows Training progeam

It was an excellent opportunity to grow as a professional developer, manager and educator! I learned so much alongside smart, dedicated people. It was an intesi r summer experience and with that, I was given autonomy, felt like part of leadership and enjoyed working with incredible people to support new teachers. I worked hard but felt well-compensated in terms of money AND I was professionally developed more than I was in a school year. From books to discussions to collaborative meetings! From summer to summer I learned more and saw the suggestions I made implemented to make better training programs. Once I had a child, it was harder as I the work was intense and I wanted to give it more than I had time to do so after one summer of managing home and work, I decided to leave. My managers were amazing and totally understanding about my family needs. I could pump at work and they always found a place for me to do so. I enjoyed the people and culture. My voice mattered and I was sad to move on

Pros

Great people and professional development

Cons

Heavy workloads

Hard Work

The work is hard, but your training is extensive as it relates to coaching a new teacher. We reviewed lesson plans, literacy strategies and how to use the Teach-Like-A Champ book.

Excellent Remote Position

This is an excellent company. The pay well for the roles they require and offer ongoing feedback and advancement. I worked as a part-time interviewer, screener, and principal coach. I enjoyed each role.

Lot's of opportunities

Working at TNTP provided a lot of opportunity to grow my skills and facets of my performance. The culture at times was so detrimental that it produced negative outcomes more often than anything. I've never felt more incompetent and undervalued at times. Despite the negativity that was rampant when I was there, the work provided lots of opportunities for growth. My manager was not very well supported, but I blame the direction and leadership on the executive level for trickling down practices that in the end hurt the whole team. The benefits at the org were great, but the price paid in maintaining employment made that benefit almost worthless in comparison to the trouble it took to keep them.

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, great mission, opportunity to build skills, compensation

Cons

Culture, management, and work-life balance.

Great organization

TNTP is a great organization to work for with motivated coworkers and working for a great cause. Worked remotely and at a teaching fellows location. Would definitely recommend!

Smart.dedicated. passionate people working on education reform

Staff work very hard at TNTP. Be prepared for tight deadlines and a culture that values perfection. At the same time, the projects you work on are high stakes--helping kids get a better education.

Pros

can work remotely and travel to client sites

Cons

culture can be unwelcoming to people from different work backgrounds

Flexible Work Related to Education

I love the flexibility go working part time for TNTP. I also feel glad thatI am contributing to public education, especially for communities that are low-income and high-need.

Pros

Flexible and meaningful work

Cons

No raise in hourly rate in years

Great collaborative environment in the pursuit of equitable education for all

Great organization to work for. Flexibility in work scheduling, however because of this it's easy to work longer hours than a regular 9 to 5. Very collaborative environment where most everyone cares about educational outcomes for students who are underserved. CEO and President are truly caring of its employees and staff and regularly try to interact with staff and are very open to feedback. Great organization if you have a passion for education.

Nice to work from home

Nice to work from home, but sometimes required to travel a lot. Expect to work at least 50 hours per week. Also, management experience varies from manager to manager.

Beware

This organization advertises 60,000-100,000. This is to lure you to apply for the position. You will be paid teachers salary and that will be based on your years of teaching and the school district you are partnered with. They will Not tell you this upfront. You will initially be contracted as a teacher under a title such as “Instructional Coach”. You WILL work the same hours as your Mentor Principal. You WILL work days that teachers are off, even though you are contracted as a teacher. Be prepared for an unorganized bunch of PLUS Leaders who are mean and evil spirited, that lie and have no clue as to what they are doing. Be prepared to be treated like your personal life doesn’t matter, under the direction of an insecure clueless coach and unstable PLUS Leader. Even the Program Manager was incompetent and was belittled by the PLUS Leaders on many occasions. PLUS promises so much and offers very little. You have been warned. They attack your personal character and take things personally. Once you challenge them about anything, you will be targeted and provoked. In the end they will decide if you will become a principal, not the university, based on TNTP standards. You will also pay expensive tuition for a degree and certification that is offered much cheaper at other universities (for non-university curriculum in coursework). This information was also not given in the beginning. Important information was ALWAYS forth coming, even still. BEWARE

Pros

Leadership possibility

Cons

Deception

Great Place to work

A very good place to work. Fast paced and ever changing. If you like a challenge and want to work for a place which helps make a difference in children's lives then TNTP is the place for you.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Often long hours

A dedicated, fun to work for company

My time with TNTP was brief but very positive. I worked at a Student Survey Proctor for those working to earn their teaching license via the alternative route. The interview process in the beginning was a little disorganized but they got it together and things moved smoothly from there on out. I received a thorough training to complete my assignment and felt prepared and fully supported.

Pros

great support system and training

Cons

none that I can think of

Great place to work!

Some of the smartest individuals I've ever worked with. The work environments promotes a positive work/life balance and the benefits are great. Excellent place to work!

Great culture focused on developing employees

Inclusive and supportive culture devoted to developing employees, and having an impact on ending education inequality. Colleagues are smart, dedicated, and hard working.

Pros

Smart people making a positive impact on education

Common questions about TNTP

Answered by current and former employees at TNTP

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TNTP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

88%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Learn about TNTP in popular locations

• TNTP