Tokyo Central

Tokyo Central Employee Reviews

Tokyo Central insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks

I wouldn't try to work here

This job is only good for those who aren't going to school at the same time, but even then, this job is too tiresome. The employees are scheduled to work 8+ hours almost everyday, and they don't want to hire any more people in order to make the schedule availability more flexible. At first, the job will seem easygoing with only being scheduled 5 hour shifts, but later on, they'll take advantage and schedule too many hours, and ask you to come in if someone calls off. Just like others have said, sometimes abrupt schedule changes are made, which is super inconvenient.If you request for days off or if you say you can't stay to work overtime, management gets upset. Management also picks favorites and tries to hide it, which is unfair. We only get one 10 minute break for a 5 hour shift. The job gets kind of stressful when it's busy, but that's how it always is. Overall, I find this company to be tiresome to work for. I don't think they care for their employees at all. The only good thing about working here is that the other employees are very nice and they've become really good friends outside of work.

Pros

friendly workers, benefits

Cons

overworked, bad management

Good working environment

The people who work there are all generally very nice and understanding. The only issue with the store is that it is almost always understaffed so it'll be busier than it seems. The management is nice, but has a lack of awareness on what we need such as more staff.

Fun for a minute

Coworkers are great to work with, management is okay. A good first job or starter for some, may not be the best decision long-term. As long as you're willing to work and do your job it shouldn't be too strenuous.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Discount

Bad management

Poor management and there’s favoritism from upper positions towards some employees. They overwork you and the pay it’s not worth what you do. Constantly doing tasks out of your title.

As long as you're willing to work their schedule, they will take advantage of you.

Not a good place to work. You have no choice of where you want to work. They will not transfer you to another dept even if you request them. The company is not very good to employees. Avoid this Japanese company if possible. Lots of nepotism.

Pros

good long term part time job

Cons

pay is not good, no room for advancement

A Stressful Experience

When I initially started working there, the job didn’t seem too bad. However after just a few months working there I begun to see countless problems with the way things are run. Last-minute schedule changes, no compensation for agreeing to work overtime, insufficient pay, and those are just the minor things. A former coworker in my department was blatantly mistreated by our supervisor. At one point he was even telling some employees - including myself - to avoid talking to her. After I was told that, I informed management. Instead of taking some sort of disciplinary action on our supervisor, my coworker was instead forced to transfer to a different department to “avoid further conflict.” However, she wasn’t comfortable working in that department because she still had to be around him so she soon quit after that. There are many more instances like this that I witnessed during my time there. Everything about the way the company runs this store is awful. Not a job that I would recommend to anyone unless you manage to get on the “good side” of someone with a position of authority.

Pros

No punishment for frequently calling in sick

Cons

Coworkers frequently call in sick

Its ok

● Work-life balanceMinimum wage payment with no looks of advancement Management could be better. .. It can be a bit overwhelming at times especially with the COVID people are rude times. Staff is really friendly and supportive but like I said don't expect a raise or hazard pay... And management needs to improve● Pay & benefitsMinimum wage 13hr .... Hard to advance● Job security and advancementIt's been 2 years and no advancement● ManagementYou get written up for any tiny thing when it opened management was way better● CultureIt's ok place it's retail it is what it is● OverallIt's an ok place to work at for students or those who want a bit change in their pocket. It's really hard to advance in this place and management really needs to improve. There is no hazardous pay and minimal sick days..... Fellow employees are very friendly especially Cashiers

Great Admin Job/ No advancement

It was a great solid job, minimum wage, though no signs of advancement. Management at the store was supportive. The only hard part was working with people that would complain about every little thing, seriously you are working at a grocery store it was what I expected.

Not good place to work

They don’t like to hiring aging people, most employees is young people. Most manage is Japanese , and not treat everyone equality. Just feel unhappy when working there.

Friendly environment and productive job.

I really enjoyed working at Tokyo Central. The customers were nice and patient and so were my co-workers. They all were understanding, kind, amazing, hard working, and funny. The only issue I had was having to clock in / out on the exact dot which tired me a lot due to stress during breaks or getting / leaving to work.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Tokyo Central?

blatant favoritism

when i first started working there, everyone seemed nice enough. but then you start to realize that they don’t really want you to get more hours so they don’t have to pay you as much, and they appear to have a personal preference for people who can speak japanese. and i don’t mean that in terms of work, i mean it is very easy to feel excluded when you are not a part of the culture. they don’t acknowledge the good work that you do and point out the negatives instead. i felt as though they never gave me a chance to improve or to at least interact with them more. there was a very obvious in-group and out-group; it was very cliquey. a lot of the people there were immature, which should be apparent based on their cliquey nature. if you enjoy feeling like a lonely outcast who is not appreciated for the good work that you do, then this place would be perfect.

Tokyo Central

Working at ‘Tokyo Central’ has taught me a lot. Working in a predominately Japanese grocery store taught me the diverse understanding I need as a customer service specialist, I love my job & love what I do for the community!

No a good place for advancement

Very racist Especially management tried to advance out of the freezer area but I was not allowed to. Who would ever want to stay in that same position is beyond me, I was going to be a father and after 2 years would not give me a sufficiently good raise.

Good place to work if you go to school

This is the perfect part time job. If you go to school and need to make a little money in the meantime, I would highly recommend it; otherwise, don't bother. Advancement is nearly impossible unless you speak Japanese. The job was fun overall; moderately easy, monotonous a little too frequently but like I said, it's a good part time job. Management changed a couple times and morale dropped drastically, communication issues became more apparent and a few good workers left because of it. You make friends and can fit your schedule around school, even another job if that's the case; but same goes for a lot of other grocery-type part time jobs. If you need a part time/seasonal job while you go to college, I would recommend it without a doubt. Otherwise, don't bother.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Fun environment to work with every day

Not stressful, if knowing what needs to be done every hour. Co-workers are collaborative. No career advancement, if people are not Japenese or not speaking Japenese.

Fun workplace

Good overall first job. Loved the people that I worked with and where I first learned customer service. Workplace is pretty relaxed during the week and busy on the weekends.

Fun place to shop

Its a great place to explore the Asian culture learning new foods...and making new friends with coworkers it's like a family. Every day is different and there is always something to do time flies by.

Pros

20% off at the pizza shop next door.... employers discount.....

Cons

Must be full time for all the good benefits

Marketplace

a typical day is set. you accomplish what you do without much pressure. I felt couldn't learn much because they a very restraint on what you can do. My manager is great but the store manager can improve. The hardest part of the job are the people. The low pressure would be the most enjoyable part of the job.

Can be a fun place to work

Can be a fun Place to work, but the lack of proper communication can hinder ones day. Most of management speaks Japanese, if you do not understand the language it can be even more difficult to understand the broken english that they speak to you with.

Friendly workplace

Tokyo Central, while not being able to compensate or provide with employees with some needs, is a pleasant company to work for. Their ability to work with your personal life makes it so that their expectations of the work you do does not seem so difficult to accomplish.

Pros

friendly staff, overall relaxing environment

Friendly environment, productive and laid-back workplace.

Work always has me doing something. I find myself occupied most of the time. I've learned a lot working here such as the basic cashier fundamentals, customer service, handling money, supervising cashiers and also solving problems on my own. Management is not so great at the moment. The schedules are all over the place, some rules and regulations are sometimes not followed and I feel like the employees should get paid more than what we make right now. Most of our employees are hard workers and the obstacles we deal with on a daily basis should be acknowledged more often. The hardest part of the job is definitely dealing with customer complaints. Being patient and understanding is key. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting tasks done, working as a team with my employees and just getting through the day knowing you worked hard for the company.

Cons

Short breaks, not enough benefits overall.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tokyo Central. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9