Tokyo Electron Employee Reviews

No room for growth
nun ya (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2019
Perfect for a comfy job security but no room for advancement. There is job security but most people stay in their position for 20 years or until retirement
Great place to work with fantastic people
Instructional Designer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 20, 2019
I've been working for TEL for over 12 years now so I have a pretty good idea of the company, its management, and the people who work there--absolutely the best. TEL provides an energetic "can do" environment that offers multiple opportunities employees can maximize to learn, improve, and more importantly succeed.
Pros
Fascinating work, great people, forward-thinking management
great place to work
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 6, 2019
great place to work. Great people and interesting and challenging jobs with great room for advancement from within. I would recommend this job to anyone who is self driven and motivated,
Sweat shop with no support
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 5, 2019
Employer does not have your back in times of crisis, do as you're told or you're fired mentality. Low pay and terrible benefits compared with other vendors in the industry. One of the worst jobs I ever had.
They don't convert contractors very often
RMA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2019
One day you're there and the next day you're not. Budgetary constraints are always looming. They keep lazy full timers and let talented motivated contractors go.
Pros
Managers do not miromanage
Cons
They keep lazy full timers and let talented motivated contractors go.
Field Service Engineer in Lithography (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 9, 2019
I loved this job. However I got stuck in a contractors roll for much longer than was promised. Because of this I was underpaid for the entirety of my employment. They have plenty of overtime opportunities for FEs.
Pros
Ot
Cons
Pay
great company if you're hired permanently
R&D PROCESS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2019
great company with a great culture if you are hired on permanently. If you are a contractor though without opportunities for permanent hire then unfortunately not the same benefits . great experience though for entry level and relaxed work environment. would definitely recommend the company.
Cutting edge
Process Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 9, 2019
The most amazing opportunity I've had to date. The only thing I didn't like is that my internship didn't continue forever. High tech environment and is packed with some of the best engineers in the world.
Strong customer loyalty and financially strong.
President (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MADecember 12, 2018
Excellent employee consideration. Safety first environment and imperative. Learned to more effectively work with the Japanese culture.

Program decisions took too long to make.
Pros
Strong employees support
Cons
Still trying to become a globdal company rather than just a Japanese International company.
Great Company, Amazing people
Field Service Engineer II/ Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 26, 2018
Working in a technical field in this company is great because TEL provides you with the tools to advance in your career.

Supervisors and Management listen to concerns and facilitate problem solving needs.
A great place to work if you want to stay entry level for years despite your background. a fair place to work if you're ambitious.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  oregonNovember 22, 2018
Tokyo Electron is in the top 5 semiconductor production equipment suppliers.

The work is more of a technician role than an engineering role, but everyone gets an engineer title. I like the company's management above my local area, but I feel stifled by coworkers and immediate management.

It's not unusual for a new employee to spend a month waiting to get access to the fabrication plant, but it's paid and laid back.
Other employees act more annoyed that you don't know something than helpful. Training is sparse- new employees often go 6 months before any actual training besides "watch while I do this and try to learn something."

I was very excited about this job as a way to get into an engineering position, but now I'm disappointed and frustrated. It feels very much like an "everyone for themself" environment, especially among temps. The permanent employees are better at sharing information.

Other locations might be much better.
On a side note, it seems like about 75% of employees are military veterans. I think this contributes to the attitudes I dislike here.
Pros
Company phone and laptop. Easy to get into entry level work
Cons
Hard to move up. Training is rare and classes fill up fast. Their health insurance is from Cigna, which is pretty poor coverage.
Good place to learn.
FSE (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 10, 2018
Good place to start as a FSE in the semiconductor industry. I worked onsite at the customer site. Working night shift was meh, but the differential made it worth it for me.
An excellent overall corporate culture that sometimes clashes with the "East vs West" mentality
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chaska, MNSeptember 24, 2018
Direction within IT felt stymied at times by competing agendas of various upper management, but the streamlined nature of the company as a whole felt very efficient and surprisingly caring. They really do a lot of work with promoting work/life balance and health incentives, which shows they really seem to care about the health of their employees and their families.

From an IT perspective, they really strive to research and demo modern tech as it becomes available, which can make for an exciting and fast-paced environment to work in, though sometimes they have too many balls in the air at one time, and that can impact the focus of any one project. Overall, a very strong team with a lot of different exposure to various technologies
Pros
Always involved with new technology, great benefits, excellent corporate culture
Cons
More projects active at a time than there are members of the department, lack of focus
Great pay, interesting work.
Process Technician III (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 18, 2018
Generally 12 hour days. Japanese company, unique work enviroment and culture. The semiconductor industry is stressful by nature, customers are very demanding.
Pros
Interesting work, they listen to your input.
Cons
Poor communication between engineers, managers, and techs.
Great company to work for!
Process Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 6, 2018
TEL has a very motivating environment. The managers are very supportive and encourage self-driven progress. The diversity allows you to learn from your colleagues.
Intresting and the coworkers are great
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 27, 2018
Working for Tokyo electron is a great way to enter the semiconductor/ robotics industry. Problem solving and mechanincal know how are a must. Some days there is alot to do other days there isn't much to do.
great company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MAAugust 9, 2018
I was only at this company for a short time, I was the first person you would see when coming into the building and I would direct them where to go and make badges. I just recently realized the office I worked in is now closed.
Assets coordinator & tool calibration clerk
Asset Coordinator & Tool Calibration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2018
Ordering tools with procurement, having tools calibrate in a timely manner for the field engineers & managing the assets of the company according to he requirements.
Overly Competitive
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 27, 2018
For the first part of my employment the company was pleasant. However when I relocated to Arizona. The management was spotty at best. My manager changed 4 times in 3 years. The compensation was somewhat competitive. When it came to job life / personal life balance, the management was cold when it came to any kind of family emergency.
Pros
Experience gained
Cons
Co workers, compensation, management
Tokyo Electron Review
Materials Planner III (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMay 28, 2018
Really do not have any positive things to say. Do not feel comfortable saying too much. Worked very long hours with little to no recognition. High stress and limited tools to do the job. I would not recommend.
Pros
Employment
Cons
A lot of hours