Toll Brothers
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

Toll Brothers Employee Reviews

Toll Brothers insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Good

Typical day for Adm/Receptionist consist of answering the phone and greeting vendors. I learned about purchasing material for building a new home, the background check for the closing on a new home and accounting responsibility of the company that builds the new home. Work place culture is great for young pretty ladies and old man. After two years and two months; I guess i was not a good face for Toll Brothers; being a senior citizen and not a pretty as the young ladies in the office. It was time for me to be let go with a great stipend and able to collect unemployment when stipend completed.

Pros

Plenty of games and inner office fun.

Cons

but you as the receptionist can not play. LOL

Luxury Builder Without the Luxury Salary

I've worked in new home sales over 20 years,and for different major,National Fortune 500 Building Companies. Always an award winner with an outstanding reputation and reviews to match, I know my worth. Coming into Toll, I assumed the salary would match the price point. Builders pay their sales managers 2-2.5 % of the total purchase price. Toll Brothers devalues their employees by giving lower than standard commissions, if you're lucky. Most of sales gets a flat fee, and it's not the same across the board. Some people are paid more than others but we're not supposed to know. Toll will exhaust you with their systems and procedures, no weekends off,and a weak 401k program. This company operates like a 1930s Oil Baron, telling its employees how lucky they are to work for such a great builder. The homes are beautiful but you'll never be able to afford one on what they pay. Lower builders like KB Homes and Lennar pay better compensation packages than this company.

Pros

Beautiful homes and a professional staff.

Cons

Pay, work life balance, systems

Good people to work with

The best thing about working at TB is the people. You can see that most are passionate about what they’re doing and do have long tenures. Unfortunately, due to covid a lot of those that were there for many years were let go. It felt like a lot of Toll’s history left with them since they were the ones there that helped build the company up to where it is now. Other than that, they have guest houses for their employees to vacation in- if you can find the time to take off from the overwhelming workload.

Pros

Diversity, perks, team members

Cons

Compensation, advancement

Corporate needs to watch what regional management does

BE CAREFUL! CORPORATE DOES NOT know of all the unscrupulous business activities. You can ALWAYS send important items to the entire BOD though. You are required to go through training and then never use it.

Pros

Some of the folks are nice.

Cons

Corporate needs to be much more involved in immoral activities of NJ regions.

advancement opportunities

pro's strong company management support health benefits vacation and sick day pay salary plus commission con's full-time must work weekends no work/life balance

Pros

strong company

Cons

full time no work/life balance

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Great benefits

Nice, clean, best benefits, great bonuses.Good job culture.I’ll work there again. Nicest management Michael Jordan very kind and hard worker. Free lunches.

was making a lot of changes how thing are done making it harder to get bonus. the builder is not held accountable for the bad workmen ship do to lack of management over site making the numbers is more important than doing the job right

Fun and good places

Great management with lots of help with growing and support. I worked as a intern for a summer and it’s was a great experience, would highly recommend the company to anyone.

Outsourced when company making millions

A few of us are getting replaced with cheaper overseas workers despite the company making millions of dollars. Sad. We busted our butts for 10-25 years and they are letting us go

Pros

Great people and benefits

Cons

Lousy decision making my upper management

Great place to learn the industry

Went through many staff members during my period. Dealing with the Corporate Office is hit or miss. A lot of redundancy in reporting systems. New managers are not flexible with current employees working arrangements.

Pros

Coworkers, events

Cons

No advancement, micromanage

Fun plase to work

Toll Brothers was the best job l ever had and would like to work for them again. Thay are a publicly held company in the fortune 500 and are vary ethical

Pros

Free lunches at safty meetings

Cons

Sump pit cleaning

Stress

Very stressful place to work. Fearful of making a mistake because you get chastised for it. Cant miss closings even if not your fault. Negative work environment

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Management has little diversity and leads with fear

Official response from Toll Brothers

May 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing this feedback. We take pride in our company culture and values and work to provide a wonderful work environment for all of our employees. We are disappointed to hear that this was not your experience and would like to hear more. Please reach out to HRDEPT@tollbrothers.com so we can better understand how we can improve.

Good place to work with opportunity for advancement

As a manufacturing engineer, there was a lot to learn about the operation. Most people were very helpful, there was a lot to do as the company was revamping their manufacturing operations. Workforce is basically construction labor with constant layoffs that fluctuate with construction sites needs. There's a lot of safety incidents to address as the nature of the work is somewhat hazardous. Overall decent place to work, if you get things done, you'll be recognized and promoted eventually.

Pros

Company functions (holiday dinners, raffles, decent benefits, a lot of help, sense of teamwork, great people to work with.

Cons

Loud and dusty work environment (wood being sawed constantly), there's a trash dump nearby that can get pretty rank, It's an open air facility with no heating/cooling.

Casual dress code, flexible hours, work at home during COVID

Very much enjoyed working at Toll Brothers. My supervisor was very responsive to problems and or issues. I got let go in December 2020 for lack of work.

Pros

Casual dress code, flex hours, 3 personal days off per year

Cons

Small pay increases

Great Place to Work

Overall it was a great place to work. it was a bit difficult to move up within toll brothers corporate office. they choose who they wanted to move up based on who they knew within the company. I really bonded with the residents and we have a great team to make the events and day to day pleasant.

Pros

great team and leaders

Cons

not much room for growth

Everything good. Upper management very helpful

Great company to work for. Everyone gets along and helps each other. It gets extremely busy but you prioritize and get the work done. Management is very helpful

Pros

Everyone gets along and steady work pace

Cons

Could have used more training in the beginning

Good company overall.

I found Toll to be generous and caring. Family oriented atmosphere and great referral bonuses. As an IT professional I was given plenty of room to grow technically. My boss always made sure I balanced my work life. Would work there again.

Pros

Pay raises

Great Place to Work

This is a great company, with a fantastic culture. Fortune 500 business that feels like a small family company. Interesting and challenging work. Highly recommend it.

Pros

Culture, family atmosphere, values

Poorly managed

I worked for a builder that was acquired by Toll Brothers. The builder was poorly managed and they didnt care at all about their employees. The compensation was terrible compaired to the work load expected. I have 10yrs construction management experience and have worked for five different builders and this builder by far the absolute worst by far.

Pros

Cons

No scheduling system, no vacation and no management having your back.

Incredible product and clientele but lacking in effective leadership

Toll Brothers offers the best of customer service and the company policy lends itself to providing beautiful homes and making the homeowners happy. But if you start in a lower sales position it is very hard to get promoted to a commissioned sales position or what they used to call “sales manager”. The lower sales position were salary but they worked you like you were commission with no overtime.

Pros

Beautiful product

Cons

Lack of advancement and a bit of a boys club atmosphere

Toxic Work Environment

Predominantly male, the work environment is unpleasant and rather toxic. I silently dealt with a lot of negative behaviors that completely flew in the face of the company's supposed values. Customer service is a joke and they only compensate customers who threaten to call corporate. It took no time to realize that this company is all talk and no action, both when it comes to customer service and employee support. Stay away!!

Pros

Cons

Toxic environment, no employee support, antiquated management style, hard to affect change

Official response from Toll Brothers

May 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing this feedback. At Toll Brothers, we are committed to providing an ethical and inclusive workplace for everyone. We take ethics concerns very seriously. Please reach out to HRDEPT@tollbrothers.com so we can hear more about your experience and better understand how we can improve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toll Brothers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight