TOLLESON UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

All about $, not students
Classified staff (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZFebruary 10, 2018
Great staff but senior management doesn’t really care about students, only numbers. District staff are clueless on what goes on at the schools. They say what people want to hear, but their actions speak differently. We need to see how other states are doing things. Arizona obviously doing it wrong.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Bad culture. All about $, not students.
Fast paced and very busy/stressful work environment
La Joya Community High School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJanuary 20, 2018
On average this nurse performed nursing care, first aid, dispense of medication(s) and drug/alcohol assessment on approximately 50-60 students per day. Plus at least one or more 911 emergency calls per week. Health office was extremely busy everyday. The hardest part was not having coverage when leaving health office for an emergency situation on campus/classroom or while performing drug/alcohol physical assessment on suspected impaired students. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and care/help the students. Wonderful feeling to know that I was able to help or education students regarding their health and/or safety. Left work knowing I was instrumental in helping student(s) to have a more productive day at school
Pros
Helping students with health and safety issues.
Cons
No coverage upon leaving office or performing drug/alcohol assessments.
Very high paced, high stress workplace
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZDecember 26, 2017
Although it was a very high paced and stressful workplace, I thoroughly enjoyed working with the kids and staff members. The school system needs to pay more for hard workers.
Pros
Summers off and major holidays
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work at / Amazing Caring Team
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZDecember 6, 2017
Sense of urgency. Everyone (office workers, management, bus drivers and bus monitors) are all very helpful and polite. Hated to leave, however my mother had gotten cancer unexpectedly and I decided to move back closer to her.
Pros
You have time between shifts to get personal things done if needed
Cons
If your wanting 40 hours a week you may not want to be a bus driver
Great place to work but super low pay
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZDecember 5, 2017
Great place to work but super low pay.
Love Tolleson Union High School District, but since its publicly funded the pay does not commensurate with your position.
It was a great school to work at
ESL/Freshman English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZAugust 30, 2017
I taught ESL to Freshman through Senior students.
I taught Freshman English.
I learned to have patience with these students and that many of them didn't read on a regular basis, so their vocabulary was very small.
My principal was very professional and treated all the teachers like professionals. The workplace culture was professional yet friendly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the parents.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students.
they don't help employees stay
Instructional Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJune 11, 2017
this school district has great people working there. but the school bosses don't care about keeping their employees and the pay is $15k to $20k below average for this area. teachers can't afford to live or stay at this district. They don't care if you stay because they can hire someone else for a lot less money. this is so bad. Who wants to work for a company that doesn't promote from within or want to keep you around.
Students and teachers are great! Administrators, not at all.
Attendance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sierra LindaMay 14, 2017
I worked for the district for 2 years and have to say that if it were not for the students and some great teachers, this experience would have been unbearable. Administrators are the worst leaders that I have ever encountered in my 33 years of professional experience. They do not lead by example, inspire anyone but each other and participate, if not encourage, clique mentality. The students are the nicest, most respectful and welcoming group of young adults and there are great teachers that are completely unappreciated and live in fear of speaking out for fear of retaliation from Assistant Principals (one exception to this was the AP of Athletics). I would not recommend this district to anyone unless there is a complete overhaul of leadership. The new Superintendent seems to have the right idea and vision for change. It just didn't come soon enough for me to tolerate bullying from co-workers and administrators even with 2 months off a year.
Pros
Time off, great students
Cons
Low wages, lack of team work, poor leadership
Lacks leadership
Head boys track and field coach (Current Employee) –  Sierra Linda High SchoolMay 4, 2017
Constantly changing, not always good. Does not stick with ideas, lack of follow through on ideas and curriculum. Leadership is weak, student discipline is lacking.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Limited to no positive feedback
Tolleson Union HIgh School is very supportive....
SPED Teacher/Math (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZMarch 31, 2017
I love the fact that Tolleson was very supportive of my military duty. I came from Twin Falls School District which was extremely supportive so was not sure what to expect. Tolleson did not let me down.
Pros
Multi-cultural
Cons
We have to cover for each other because there are not enough subs to go around.
The people in the department were fantastic!. Fun loving and so compassionate for the students they transported.
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZMarch 23, 2017
Being in a small district, I wore many hats. Supervised, Dispatched, Payroll, Covered routes, Interviewed and hired new employees.
I learned about Arizona State reporting for AEQ, Dept. of Ed as well as City and County reports for school district transportation. Management was supportive. There was a definite feeling of team work and employees were always willing to help each other out.
Hardest part of my job was trying to do everything that was required of me.
I really enjoyed the people there. It was like family.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Lack of benefits and equal pay.
Finding A Family
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZNovember 10, 2016
After a while TUHSD begins to feel like a family and by family I mean the aunts and uncles you try to avoid at family gatherings. TUHSD is a good place to work for those who have children within the district because you can get the same days off as them. There is barely any room for advancement but not enough professional development to give one initials.
Enjoy your time
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZOctober 20, 2016
Has the potential to be a great place to work and group as an employee. There will be times of stress depending upon supervision and politics. Overall a good place to be
Good job - ok benefits
Transportation Secretary / School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZAugust 16, 2016
I absolutely loved my job. I have grown so much as a person with the help of my co workers and supervisor. I loved the team building books we would read and meet on once a month. I didn't like the benefits so much as they are PPO with a high deductible- great for people who don't need medical so much but not so great for people who do.
Food service/ cashier
Customer Service / Cashier (Current Employee) –  67 Ave Lower BuckeyeMay 4, 2016
My job consist to prepared their meals and be cashier on the time to serve the kids. And the ended I close the cash register and counter.
Great place to work...great culture with co-workers
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJanuary 19, 2016
Great place to work, great co-workers, everyone works as a team to transport high students to and from school...The pay is low and the hours sometime is not enough.
Tolleson Union High School District
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tolleson AzOctober 25, 2015
Highly stressful yet rewarding. I learned a lot about what I want to do and what I do not want to do going forward. I wanted to be a school teacher before working at Tolleson but have since changed my mind. I've decided to do what might be best for me. I rather go back to school and complete my degree plan.
Pros
working with great kids and people
Cons
Hours
very rewarding job, working with special needs students.
bus monitor for special need students. (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZSeptember 16, 2015
Started working at 530 am , checking bus condition with driver , put in order all seatbelts, cleaned bus, make sure all signal lights were working , served 2 routes in the morning...would get off at 9am clocked out, and would have to be back to work at 130 pm, to serve to other routes, supervise all students am and pm routes, help students with wheelchairs, buckled them up on bus, used lift to bring wheelchairs students on and off bus, in total we would serve 2 routes in the am and 2 pm routes. Hardest part of the job was the split shift but the most rewarding was put a smile in those very special students and make their ride to school and home enjoyable and safe.
Pros
rewarding to work with special need students.
Cons
split shift
A school district
Teacher (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 16, 2015
Pay starts out as competitive as anywhere in Arizona but the overall pay for experienced teachers is among the worst. District can be very controlling.
Review
Behavioral Speacialist (Former Employee) –  TollesonMarch 16, 2015
I am very hard worker and take care in everything that I do. I value my work because I have a hard work ethic. I am a very positive person and enjoy working with others. A typical day at work for me is lots of phones ringing, teachers calling, parents who have questions, emailing teachers and staff, and managing my classroom. I have learned that students have taught me patience and understanding. The hardest part about my job is disciplining students all day everyday but I do my job because it is my job! The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the light come on and watching students, progress, grow, mature, and change into better individuals and I know I played a major role in that. ( I LOVE MY JOB)...
Pros
Fun Co-workers/ Staff