Tom's Food Center Employee Reviews

2.5
Ratings breakdown
Not so great
Cashier/Self-Checkout Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIApril 4, 2018
It's good for a first time job but I would highly recommend applying to other places. You had to earn your place so if you wanted time off after a couple of weeks, you aren't going to get it and they only pay minimum wage.
Poor, uninvolved management, no wage increase
Lead Supervisor and Person in Charge (PIC) (Current Employee) –  Okemos, MI 48864February 5, 2018
Management typically uninvolved with employee matters. Higher management generally condescending and demeaning. Pay increases are stated upon hire to occur bi-annually; pay raises are sometimes years apart for long-term employees. Pay increases that do occur generally occur as a scaled wage, so everyone makes similar wages. Further upon request for personal wage and performance review, the request is usually rejected. Workplace culture is for most employees to do the minimum and discipline is almost entirely lacking.
Pros
holiday potluck
Cons
no benefits, aggressive upper management, small chance of wage increase
Did not like working there
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIJanuary 14, 2018
The manager I had for my department was great but the management of the entire store was not good nd everyone was not helpful and rude when there was issues and I did not get paid good enough for the amount of EXTRA work I put in to that place
It’s alright to work if you do everything the manager says to a tee.
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIDecember 12, 2017
I worked at Toms for 3 years. I was a lucky employee that was moved to a different department. That usually doesn’t happen because most of the time management doesn’t listen to the employees. No increase in salary except minimum wage bumps.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Benefits, Reviews, Discounts
Boring dead end job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIDecember 7, 2017
Typical job day included a 6hr shift with a 15 min break. It would get extremely slow some days, and you are not allowed to do anything to try and kill the boredom but stare at the clock. The other employees were all pretty nice, but Tom (the owner) definitely got on my nerves.The schedule was all around pretty horrible. You can only work 3 days a week, which means only 18 hours which is a pretty sad paycheck. The schedules also come out on Wednesdays which makes it difficult to plan ahead for the next week.
A part time job
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIJune 6, 2017
I worked here as a transition from school to school. It was a part time job and had a lot movement of employees. It is meant to be a part time job and not a full time position. It is a great position for students.
Good first job for students
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIMay 22, 2017
Store is always kept clean . Pay is terrible minimum wage and it's only about 20 hours a week unless your management, no benefits unless your management. I would recommend Tom's for a first job or students.
Cons
No benefits
Aweful workplace
TEAM LEADER/GROCERY CLERK/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIJanuary 14, 2016
Management is terrible, they are not considerate of their employees, no full time positions available, no benefits, not willing to work around schedules, no advancement, huge turnover, people in leadership positions that should not be there.
Pros
Good starter job.
Cons
Everything else.
Productive and good place to start.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIDecember 10, 2015
A typical day is consistent with every other day you work. you clean spills, retrieve carts, face product and bag groceries. I learned that starting positions like that are seldom going to be very enjoyable, but you have to pay your dues to make it to the top. Management was fair, but it was more shuffling and ordering than it was coaching and communicating. My coworkers were enjoyable considering that most of them were approximately the same age as I. The hardest part of the job had to be the presence of negativity each day. It would come from different people each day, but it was almost always present. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be the fact that I worked in a grocery store, whenever I went on break, I had a variety of treats and food to select from.
Pros
Fair balance between work and life, short days
Cons
retrieving carts in winter, being shuffled
Fun small town place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIMarch 11, 2015
I really miss working here! There was always something that needed to be done, and I loved it! It allowed me to meet the people in my hometown and assist them with any shopping questions.
Worked independently with little to no interruptions
Accounting/ Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIFebruary 9, 2014
Worked independently with little to no interruptions. Built the Pharmacy Accounts Receivables from the ground up. Supervisor was easy to speak to and talk about my concerns.
Bad place to work
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIOctober 17, 2013
The Management was not as good as L & L Food Center. Customer
Services went down and the business loss a lot of good customers.The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching the closing hour.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Bad Managemnt
relaxed atmosphere at times
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIApril 3, 2013
On a typical day at Toms food center I mostly faced items that were previously placed on shelfs. I occasionally bagged customers items and gathered carts. On the days that I opened or closed, the duties included general cleaning. I learned that there are many ways to get things done it just depends on who does it, for example when i gathered the carts I collected all the carts to one cart rack and took 10 at a time where as other coworkers went to each rack and took 2 trips per rack. My coworkers made the job enjoyable as well as some of the mangement. the hardest part of the job was when you ran out of things to do yet you had to do something.