Tom Thumb Employee Reviews

Productive but no management
Full-time Home Shopper (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 14, 2019
Although tom thumb was a great place to work at, over time my manager stopped caring and all the standards went down because of it. The supervisors were better off being the manager. When the supervisors were in charge that day everything went well and everything got done in time. Everyone I worked with was amazing and it didn't really feel like a job at the end of the day.
Terrible
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXMarch 13, 2019
Overnight stocker, they don't have some respect and being rude. Whoever the deaf people work in there. They keep stress them out or something reason talk about them while they can't hear it at all.. Not cool At all.. He try do best their job and they being judgmental. Other the managers act being pity because deaf are disabilities.. I do enjoy work in there but with the people being rude. Turn me off.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Manager suck.
Terrible Management, Uncaring Corporate
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXMarch 13, 2019
If you work at Tom Thumb, you should never assume that advancement is in the future. Management paid as little as possible (federal minimum) to very hardworking men and women who worked important jobs that were necessary for the daily operations of the business. It became so bad, employees left the company weekly. There would be weeks where an entire schedule needs to be revised (and usually not), and the staff team overseeing employees would be stricken with one or two employees who could work the entire department for the full day. This led to angry customers and angry staff that corporate management did not seem to care about.
Pros
Access to quick lunch
Cons
Long hours, potentially no breaks, mandatory overtime, fast-paced, frustrating management
ok part time job
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2019
Not the best choice but definitely not the worse choice either. easy work, but like with retail jobs there are peak seasons(holidays). A good part time job for some extra cash.
Cash office and fellow employees made the job a fun place.
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 10, 2019
Overall the job was a fun environment with lots of special customers and coworkers. I started out as a cashier and moved up to Service Manager within months. Typically I would work in customer service assisting customers with money orders, vehicle registrations, lottery sales/redemptions and Western Union. I would balance tills as they came in at the end of a cashiers shift , give out loans, refill coin machines and balance the safe and cash office at the end of my shift.
Upper management was difficult to deal with as they never seemed pleased with any one or anything and one of them was always loud, disrespectful, talked a lot of bull and showed favoritism.
Outside of management I really enjoyed my time there and the things I learned.
Great Survey !!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 6, 2019
loved working at Tom Thumb but the hours sometimes would be so done so it would be hard to get a steady paycheck. but other then that loved working at Tom Thumb
Loved my job
customer service and check out customers, baker (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXMarch 4, 2019
Loved my job till I got a new bakery manager. She's the reason I left. Store manager is great. Just couldn't work with her. Would love to go back now that she's gone.
Lots of Management Turnover
GREETER/CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 3, 2019
The general manager of the store is very good but not really a people person. The managers in the front of the store turn over often, which makes the culture hit and miss.
Generally, the people are very kind and helpful.
It was alright
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXMarch 2, 2019
If it is your first job I think there is a future, but it never seemed like much of a growing company to me and they did not seem to have many competitive advantages to their grocery stores. Always seemed like the motto was "we are not Wal-Mart so that should be reason enough to shop here"
Fast-paced job but overwork employess
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2019
The pay was unfair and it was very hard to get a raise. Management wasn't very involved and if they were, they didn't know what was going on and wanted stuff done as long as business came in no matter the circumstances. Didn't really care about employees.
Fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Florala, AL 36442February 19, 2019
Fast paced environment. Enjoyed customer service aspect. Enjoyed getting to meet people. Did not like overnight shifts or breaking down the machines at night and deep cleaning.
poor management and a few good coworkers
Checker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXFebruary 13, 2019
The supervisors are fantastic and caring and actually do a great job, but the managers are, by in large, poorly trained and don’t seem to care about the general well-being of their employees especially on the front end. Some of my coworkers are fantastic, but there are some people who are completely unqualified to work in customer service and it shows. We rarely get 15 minute breaks like we’re supposed to (I have taken maybe two or three 15s in my almost entire year of working there), but we are always guaranteed a lunch break, thank God. I enjoyed this job when I first started working, but the bull just keeps adding up and I am just about done with it. The pros of working at Tom Thumb are rarely able to be enjoyed because they’re usually eclipsed by the cons. Good job for a short period of time, but as the months go on it starts becoming less and less worth it. I seriously commend anyone who has worked in the front-end for longer than two years, I don’t know how you do it.
Pros
Good first job, pay isn’t bad
Cons
Poor management, 15 minute breaks are rare
Was a collaborative effort from everyone who worked there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Trophy Club, TXFebruary 12, 2019
As I worked bagging peoples groceries I was able to converse with the customer and after time I was able to give great customer service. The environment there was always changing from slow and boring to fast and hectic so you had to adapt quick in order to provide for the customers.
Your Basic Part-time Restaurant
Cashier/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAFebruary 7, 2019
As a cashier, you'll be responsible for handling orders by taking them and running them out, as well as cleaning the dining area and bussing tables. The pay is pretty low starting at $8.00, but you get $0.25 raise every 6-7 months, so that's nice. During big events, it can get pretty crazy, but it's usually pretty slow during winter months.
Pros
Somewhat flexible scheduling
Cons
Short 15 minute breaks
Cashier
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 3, 2019
Like any cashier job, you have to remember codes and of course be nice to the customer. It is not a stressful job but, like with any job, treat people as you would treat your own family member. That's just something I believe you should morally, period.
Friendly employees
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXJanuary 28, 2019
My favorite part about working there was the customers. Most are elderly and visit weekly. They made my job worth coming in every day.My least favorite was having to take on very physical job duties because others thought it was beneath them. When Im at work, I'm there to work. Not just do what you have to to get through the day.
Pros
customers
Cons
some job duties were very physically challenging. Took a tole on my body.
Working at Tom Thumb
Head cashier (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 25, 2019
I ran the front end by making sure that the front was looking great for the next day. I pulled the cash from the cash registers when needed. I made sure the courtesy clerks did all their duties before leaving for the night. The cashier had to front and stock merchandise by the registers and made sure their area was clean and stock with bags before leaving for the night.
great job
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2019
tom thumb was a very good company. too bad we got taken over by albertsons. i left safeway to go to tom thumb. there were very progressive and very organized an well run. not sure why they got bought out.
bad job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 18, 2019
not only do you have to stock clean and deal with half drunk and disrepectful costumers but you also have to worry about money laundrying under age minors trying to buy tocabbco or alchol which can and will get you terminated not worth 8 dollars a hour
Pros
has ok benefits but only after a year
Cons
the whole job
Very stressful
Customer Service Representative/Cashier/Baker (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 15, 2019
This place is very stressful. Only meant for high school and college students. Management was very rude and disrespectful. I would not recommend this job to anyone or just the location that I worked at because all Tom Thumb stores are not bad and have rude staff.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Short breaks, no health coverage