Tongue Point Job Corps Center Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Fun Workplace
Security Cadet (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORJuly 19, 2018
Overall fun workplace. I learned a lot even on the slow nights. I enjoyed working the week nights since it was usually slow most nights and I was able to get homework done as well as keep track of my surroundings.
Pros
Staff learned who I was and it was easier for me to get assistance as needed.
Cons
Since it was a leadership position on center, it didn't pay well.
Life at tpjcc
Aprentice (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORJuly 18, 2018
I loved my time at Tongue Point...this was more than 12 years ago....i still advise young adults to take grasp of what job corps offers them in the start of their adult lives!!!!!
Overall It was good
Student Trainee, Finance and Business Technologies (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORJuly 5, 2018
8 hourrs a day for 5 days you learned a trade and while learning a trade you were making money and getting experience in a work field that you would want to pursue.
Pros
free housing, free meals, free money, training, and fun activities
Cons
short breaks, money, security, and too strict
Strict but Manageable
Prep Cook/Line Cook/Student (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORJune 13, 2018
Tongue Point Job Corps is a trade school, where you learn your desired vocation, and can obtain your GED, HSD, drivers licence, and any other certificates you need for your desired field. I was a student here, and a typical day for me was leaving the dormitory around 7:15am, and going to my trade at 7:55am. We would work until 4pm, with 10 minute breaks twice, and an hour long lunch. We were free weekends. I learned group management skills, leadership skills, and other necessary job skills. The work place culture can be very difficult to acclimate to, as we are full time students, and we love on site. Most people are friendly, but some are not so. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some instructors/teachers who were unflexable,and unreasonable. The most enjoyable part was the every weekend field trips.
Pros
Free Bfast, Lunch, Dinner, Field trips, Free room and board
Cons
Strict rules, little to no benefits, poor healthcare services.
helps you get a good job
Student Trainee, Office Administration Vocation (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORJune 5, 2018
Job Corps is a good place for you to go when you need help getting a good career. It trains you for your career and the working life when you need help getting a head start on life.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and boarding
Cons
you live there
A new chance
Safety Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Astoria, OR 97103May 3, 2018
Tongue Point gave me a chance to build the skills and learn how to live and lead a life as a successful independent adult. I will never regret a single moment that I spent there, and would recommend Job Corps to any struggling individual who is not focused and unable to attend an expensive university.
Pros
Free Room and Board and an Education
Cons
Potential for thefts and lonliness
jobcorps
Student Trainee, welding vocation (Current Employee) –  Astoria, ORApril 20, 2018
its a trade school
took welding as a trade
the hardest part was being away from family but its worth it in the end
the most enjoyable part is Graduating
Enjoyable work
Student Trainee (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORMarch 19, 2018
This work place had a lot of drama where everyone knew your business and you knew there's. I don't feel like the rules were respected by any of the staff.
Pros
Secure area
Cons
Drama, unfair treatment among people
Meh
Pre- apprentice training, Plastering, Vocation (Current Employee) –  Astoria, ORMarch 19, 2018
Decent living, terrible management and terrible staff (with the exception of maybe 3). Poor attitudes, student employees treated like children, and act as such. Good place for parents to drop their kids off when they don't want them anymore. The food sent me home with severe illness (fever of 107 degrees, shakes, cold sweats, etc.) Enforcement of "prison" rules makes student employee lives much more difficult than necessary. Student employees resign from the program voluntarily due to mistreatment.
Pros
Free shelter (with the exception of one or more roommates), free training in specific job fields
Cons
One big live-in high school
job corps life
Graduate, Landscaping Technician Exterior (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORJanuary 9, 2018
loved the training they give you but the drama from other students could effect others work at most times and the staff could care about the students well being better then they do
Pros
good learning experiences
Cons
drama from others
Great Job
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Astoria, ORDecember 11, 2017
it is a great job to have. the people are amazing to work with and everyone is friendly and looks after each other. it is a very fast paced work place but is also very laid back.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sometimes not able to finish project fast
its a school so its rough i did expect having a job sooner
Certified clinical medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORDecember 11, 2017
it's basically a high school, but some people have records not all, we studied all kind of things pertaining to the Medical Assisting Feild through several books and through 3 instructors two with prior hospital/clinical experience it's very intense, but long as your determined it's not impossible you get free housing and it has age requirements and sobriety rules and free transport within reason and field trip you have to sign up for all and all my experience wasn't great I did get through it for me dream of trying to help people
Pros
free food, free housing, ping pong tables, basketball court, Gym, good staff
Cons
curfew, everything is within certain time windows including dinning and can be annoying, terrible student body
This is not a workplace it is a training program
Student Employee, Office Administration Trade (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORNovember 8, 2017
Job Corps is not a work place it is a FREE training program for youth aged 16-25 years old to learn a trade and become employable in today's workforce. I would recommend it to any student who needs a cheaper alternative to college.
Very helpful
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORNovember 7, 2017
This experience really separated me from the rest of my peers who did not attend this institution. This really opened up many pathways to further my career in any office setting.
Pros
Great environment, wonderful people and very informative
Cons
To many people, hard hours, and curfews
Free Education
Student Trainee, Dental Assisting Vocation (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORAugust 4, 2017
My day starts up by getting the client up and ready to start the day. What I learned about this job is to be patient and respectful, and I manage the time of the appointment so we get there five minutes early. The hardest part of the job is trying to get the client to take their medication but you got do tell them is for there own good. What I enjoy the most is getting to know them and knowing what they like and dislike.
Students are nuts
Secretary (Former Employee) –  officeJune 19, 2017
Students have an entitlement attitude. Get out in the workforce and see how many employers will put up with the bs. The majority of students are nuts
Great instructors, always busy with work, good place to get experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORMay 23, 2017
I learned several knot tying, nautical nomenclature, deck maintenance. The difference of different types of line and what the purposes of them are for. Safety was a big part of the daily routine and we would to drills daily.
good place to work
carpentry pre apprentice (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORApril 28, 2017
tongue point is a good place to work because everyone is fun to work with and there is good benefits. tongue point has a lot of fun jobs to do so you never get bored.
great technical school with rec hall
Student (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORApril 26, 2017
good place to build your skills in a multitude of different available trades. staff cares for the students. live on center and almost no pay but the trade off is a free education and work experience.
Pros
free housing, meals, training, and education
Cons
live on center, almost no pay
Difficult and drama-filled student experience
Stdent (Current Employee) –  Astoria, ORApril 25, 2017
Given that my job on center is a student, my experience is likely much different than that of a staff member. I enjoy the company of my roommates, and I am lucky to have the ones I do, as I formerly had issues with other roommates in my dorm room. Due to how much drama and conflict there is, I am almost always in my room when not in class to avoid unnecessary stress. The WiFi in the recreation building is dismal, at best, and there are tons of restrictions on the internet use.
Pros
Free lunch, free lodging
Cons
Few free days, limited free time, lots of drama