Top Guard Security Employee Reviews

Ok site
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 31, 2019
Not good poor managers , make u work overtime ,overall bad job no advancement waste of time ,coworkers flirt all day w/ ppl don't waste ur time run far away
Cons
High management turnover with little concern for employees
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 21, 2019
The site contracts are sold to the lowest bidder and unchecked supervisors are horrible to work under. Would tell anyone I don't consider an enemy to steer clear. The job is not worth stress of being asked to give your maximum effort while recieving minimal pay
Pros
No obligation to stay
Cons
Poor management, no guaranteed lunch
its a cluster ____
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAJanuary 9, 2019
poor poor management....no back bone managers the type of people that run that so called business is the type that wen someone says jump they say how high and ther contracted with some of the most racist people in the Hampton roads
Pros
if u stil hav ur job come next morning
Cons
too many
They need new management thats takes pride in their work.
Davis Boat Works Armed Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 16, 2018
Management have the slightest idea of what happens at the job site.
The workers are super lazy.
No one likes to follow the rules or SOP at sites.
Theres never a QA available
It's a burden to get them to sign you to register for armed or unarmed classes.
Awful
Prior office staff (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 3, 2018
This company is growing, backwards. Management doesn't know what is really happening under their noses. Supervisors don't care and are not team players. Guards are always stuck on post, some for 16 hours or more. And no one seems to care. Employees are not paid well and only receive five paid days off after one year of service. The company will call you on your one day off a week to come to work since the same guards call out "sick" all the time. Don't waste your time unless you have no life.
Pros
overtime
Cons
everything
Unorganized and lack of professionalism
Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond vaSeptember 22, 2018
I worked at top guard on the pulse bus and other sites if needed my problem is unorganization amongst management, and staff, the account managers blaming each other of the lack of work ethic in the staff, they try to cheat u of your money from the hours work, they stealing from each other, management spreading others business, the workers doing what they want which is no work and the ones who actually was doing they work they fired for nothing throw the whole company away
Pros
Nothing but a pay check
Cons
Everytjing
not great
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 25, 2018
It was a ok company to work for if you were a student. I didn't like some of the work sites. There were no benefits . Management was always available.
Pros
always had work
Cons
some sites to scary
What a joke
Nothing (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 10, 2018
I work at a place where the Security is a private entity of the company. Unfortunately when our manager left, the director decided he didn’t want to step up and take charge, so he pushed contracting the security out, unfortunately the company took the bait. Top Guard was the selection (probably because it was the cheapest) for the contract. When the owners came to our site, they danced around and did their little dog and pony show trying to make them selves look and sound good, however no one was impressed with them. We all left that meeting feeling betrayed by the company we had been working for, some for 20+ years. They offer no Paid Leave until after an entire year, after that point it’s only 5 days. The benefits are awful, the manager lied to one of our officers face, telling him supervisors start out at 16.00hr flat, then offered someone else much more than that because they desperately needed to fill the position by a certain time. They wouldn’t match what the employees of the current company were making but then expected us to stay and apply with them. The guy in charge of the company reminds you of a little kid who got picked on in school so he becomes an authoritive figure later in life. They offer no shift differential for evening or night shift. They ask for physical requirements, yet hire people who can’t see their toes. The turn over rate is outrageous, they had people shadow our officers, of the 6 people that were here with TG, none of them had been there much longer than 6 months. But come on, who am I kidding, with a name like “Top Guard” they have to be the  more... best... “Top Flight Security Of the world, not just the city the whole world”

Don’t waste your time folks!!
Pros
Nome
Cons
Too many to name
Good work environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 9, 2018
Challenging and rewarding experience with Top Guard
Awareness and motivation was an ongoing part of my job
Development
Respectful
Overnight hours
Training
Pros
Uniforms
Cons
Weather conditions
Very adjustable work environment and team
Guard (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 7, 2018
Top Guard has provided security services to many different clients and produces nothing less than exceptional, responsible officers who care and exemplify the companies dream.
security is enjoyable to work
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2018
I enjoy, working at top guard security. I have inter acted with some great people. I have worked on some sites where everything Jim dandy. Its allot of fun .to meet different people people of all walks of life. The work you encounter is usually alright to deal with probably the hardest part is the foul weather or the intoxicated people. I love being in the majestic beauty of the out doors.
Pros
work envirement
Cons
incliment weather
It’s cool, depends on your site
Courtesy Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2018
Depends on where they got you set at, and also your own personality towards it. I personally enjoy working for this company, it was such an easy process, got hired as full time and benefits came in faster than expected, and I enjoy the site that I’m at.
Ok sercuity company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 15, 2018
Pay rates depend on site contracts, some offer a higher rate than others and have both armed and unarmed positions. Standard site patrol and checking credentials for some sites like correct parking passes and identification.
Pros
Assigned more than one uniform
Cons
Did not do any federal tax withholding.
Top Guard
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2018
It was a good job just need more money i like the people the environment as well all good met nice people just needed a higher salary my opinion good job though
Pros
close to home
Cons
less pay
compensation
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 26, 2018
I enjoy working here but the pays not enough to live on my own unless I work several hours of overtime. They also consider full time employment 32 hours a week and that is not enough.
Pros
they give you s ride to work if you need it
Cons
pay
Won't get anywhere with this company
security officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 18, 2018
This company charges a fee for everything that you require to work with. They are very untruthful with fees related to becoming armed through their school, they use spite against you if you dont agree with them, they disregard rules and regulations of dcjs, and are very quick to lie in front of your face as welll as behind your back. They want to signify that they receive all these so called accolades pertaining to military hire, or some sort of fitness whatever, when in fact they are a useless company that make their money off of the employee. They charge a fee to get a paystub and also charge a fee for your w2. Typical workday was waiting to see what orders officers had to take from company who contracted the security company. As i stated above management is very spiteful and will retaliate by not giving work, job was not enjoyable at all, hardest part was going to site to work. There was not a workplace culture at all, because management did not know how to do the job nor speak out against unfair responsibilities that officers received outside of contract.
Pros
Cons
Management needed to learn skill sets needed to keep duties within confines of contract, and speak out against these
Wouldnt recommend
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 13, 2018
Would not recommend top guard to anyone, they are very slow with everything, did not keep up with my military duty dates when I was not able to work .
Job description
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 12, 2018
The job is exactly as was discussed in my interviews. The job isn't overly difficult. Management provides prompt response and flexibility in schedule are the best parts of working here.
Pros
Job doesn't change
Cons
No paid lunch
Working with Top Guard Part-time
Collage Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 29, 2018
TG has a wide variety of Job locations to choose from.
TG has various schedules from Fulltime to Part-time to meet anyone needs.TG Management is focused on providing the best quality service to the clients and officers employed.
Pros
Wide variety of Job locations to choose from.
Cons
Some sites are low pay with a high demand.
High turn over rate for a reason
Admin (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 2, 2018
I came to this company over qualified they had me doing work in and driving my own personal vehicle all over the tidewater area and gave me nothing but problems about paying me in gas and millage there were also days that would work around 19 - 20 hours and expected to come in the next day. The pay is a joke you can go to any other security company and make more. The office drama is endless and you will have a target on your back if you don't brown nose the owners. If you do happen to take a position here I strongly recommend you watch your back, because getting written up for doing you job is a common occurrence. Since i started here and since left you'll see tons of Admin and operation staff come and go. Also don't expect time off even if its family related and such because they do not care about you or your family.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
too many to name