Topcon Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
poor management
field tech / RDO EQUIPMENT (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 14, 2018
good place to work but the problem is that they let anybody become a manager and there not qualified to do so.
its a problem they cant seem to figure out.
company is to big and they cant manage what they already have.
Old fashioned and poor structure
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 13, 2018
This is a very old fashioned company that claims to be a tech company but refuses to have a tech company culture for it's employees. They pay is absolutely horrible and you need a 2nd job just to makes ends meet. The CEO claims every year that they are making record sales, yet they never brought back the Christmas or Fiscal year end bonuses that they cut 12 years ago. If you mess up a ton, don't worry, you'll get promoted. If you do well, you will definitely never be noticed and rot away in the same position for decades unless you kiss up to your director because how well you perform has absolutely nothing to do with how you are noticed or promoted.
Pros
Decent vacation time
Cons
poor pay, constantly moving structures, no bonuses, zero appreciation
Warehouse Life at Topcon Positioning Systems, Inc. Livermore, CA
Int'l Sales Support/Traffic Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJune 11, 2018
The work was quite challenging which I enjoyed. These every day challenges provided a day where time literally flew by. It would be a rare day if I was looking for something to do. There was ALWAYS something I could do.

The boss in my department was rarely in our area therefore a must for self motivation versus working when the boss is physically in the area. So if you're not self-motivated it leaves plenty of time to socialize with people actually trying to work. Leaving the socialite's work added to others who already had their work plates filled to overflowing.

The boss in the area I worked definitely would receive no accolades but one supervisor in particular stands out. The one when the need was great never hesitated to get their hands dirty, jump right in with the team and get the work done. This supervisor was easy to respect as actions speak volumes & have more sway than just bearing a lofty title. TOPCON definitely needs a change of caliber if improvement in worker morale is a priority on their list.

The warehouse workers, various departments in the company, dealers I've worked closely with & the Olathe, Kansas warehouse were a complete joy to work with - teamwork at its best! Though the boss had issues with me, it was these other people (co-workers), departments that I continued to work as hard, as thorough & as happily as I did.

Work in my area at TOPCON was challenging and quite frankly too much for one or two people to oversee yet the most difficult part of being employed at TOPCON was working under a boss who could not be satisfied. Nothing I
  more... accomplished, no improvements made, goals achieved or how hard I worked was ever good enough or going to be good enough.  less
Pros
The people in every department in Livermore as well as their warehouse in Olathe, Kansas are awesome to work with.
Cons
Pay, boss, Hr
NO structure
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 14, 2018
NO structure, no standard operating procedures, management is somewhat questionable, departments throw each other under the bus. Commute was excellent
Stressful Environment
Customer Service Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAApril 25, 2018
It was a pleasure to personally deal with my direct dealers but our office / management was unstructured and unemotional to our dealers, as well as employee needs (time off/ mandatory OT and month end)
Pros
Holiday Party, Gifts from our Dealers
Cons
Mandatory OT, nights and weekends
Day at work
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 20, 2018
Come in to work in the morning. Get my computer going to start the day. Answer emails and start calling back customers who left phone messages. Teamwork!
Pros
great work environment
Cons
healthcare
Innovative and need products, but Company tolerates too much mediocrity
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 16, 2018
I was a contractor for the company for a year - at first worked with a great supervisor at vp level who set goals and, once confident in my abilities, allowed me to pursue my work without interference and encouraged innovation and hard work. Then I was transferred to a lower-level manager with extremely underdeveloped management skills who was driven more by ego than professional objectives. Appeared to be luck of the draw. Didn't appear to have a lot of room for growth, and appeared to use contractors extensively to get out of hiring and paying permanent employees. I thought I was working with many Good and thoughtful people but over time realized it was a company like most other companies, and everyone was primarily concerned with their own opportunities.
Relaxed office
Software Engineer - Exploratory Project (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2018
Friendly coworkers and a relaxed atmosphere make coming to work enjoyable. You can avoid the rush hour traffic by setting your own hours before or after the worst of it.
Pros
Individual offices, flexible hours
Great work-life balance....it would have been perfect if I lived closer.
NPI Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 13, 2018
Great work-life balance....it would have been perfect if I lived closer. Because it's not a publicly traded company, focus on long term goals can be achieved.
Productive and Fun place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Great work culture. Most enjoyable work is that the company empowers the employees to get the work done. It is enjoyable and able to learn from everyone.
Pros
empowers employees
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 15, 2018
All work was a team effort. Opportunity for job skill improvements and constant interaction with management was always pleasant and productive. Enjoyed working with the clients and coworkers.
Productive work site and it actually had a ping pong table
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, NJFebruary 12, 2018
I loved this place mainly because of the social/work balance. Very team orientated but also gives you time work and venture alone and grasp tasks/knowledge at your own pace. Work was never overwhelming even when times got hectic. Overall I enjoyed this place my entire time being there.
Pros
Controlled our own lunch breaks, company looked out for employees
Cons
N/a
business atmosphere
Market Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 24, 2018
The atmosphere was very corporate and nice people to work with. Unfortunately the company is no longer in business but was enjoyable when I was working there.
This is the Fun place to work and clean environment
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Boxes and prepare shipment. Learn all the shipping and company
procedure. Able to work with computer and manifest UPS, Fedex
international shipping duties and other carriers.

Organized work place, prepare shipping document verify shipping
method and product to the right customers and destination.

Working in fast paced environment and on track making sure the shipment get out on time and accurate keep track and files shipping
document in the safe place to protect company and customers Assets.

Most enjoyable is was the company provide lunch every other weeks.
I'm really recommend employment with this company.
Fast-paced, work-oriented culture that properly prepares you for any fast-paced job
Quality Data Analysis Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, NJDecember 20, 2017
As an intern, I worked directly with the Quality manager in developing a report on Purchase Return data. My boss was incredibly transparent about what she wanted, what she was doing, and was always willing to offer help. It was a lot of personal time working, but also required collaboration with her and a few other employees
stressful environment
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CADecember 2, 2017
I worked for this company through an agency, after 7 months there was still no signs of being hired permanently so I left, the line leads are thoroughly nasty people to be around, always looking over your shoulder and if you make a mistake with your work, you have to go to a meeting which are held at the end of each week and sit there with all the other people that made a mistake that week and discuss your mistake with management.....basically treated like school kids....no thanks, this job wasn't for me.
Pros
nice friendly work associates
Cons
management and no advancement.
Great enticements, Great co-workers, poor leadership and management,
Senior Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 9, 2017
Great employees, but had poor management and leaders, with no room for promotions or pay raise, pay was less then what you wok for, with no job security and hypocritical job leadership for new employees
Not a good place to work for
Operation (Former Employee) –  LivermoreOctober 27, 2017
Not a good working place, manager is not responsible or respectful, does not appreciate what you do, does not look for positive side, only looks for negative sides
Pros
something to do
Cons
manager is not respectful
Excellent co-workers and supportive staff
Acting Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 28, 2017
Market leader with top of the line sophisticated geo-positioning equipment. Everyone works together. No office politics. People are respectful and supportive. Office is quiet with no chaos or confusion. Very low stress and management goes out of their way to ensure that everyone has what they need to be successful.
Pros
Low stress. Office is orderly without noise and chaos.
Cons
None.
Comfortable place to work
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 4, 2017
Topcon is an ok place to work, it really depends on your personal goals and the department that your in. If you have a an education it will be good as you will most likely be in a respectable position, if you don't and your in the warehouse or production you'll be surrounded by incompetence. No chance to advance within the company unless they really like you or you're related to someone in management. Small raises each year but good benefits, good place to earn income while you look for something better or finish school.
Pros
Easy going, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Lacks room for advancement