Topeka Public Schools USD 501

Working at Topeka Public Schools USD 501: 16 Reviews

United States16 reviews

Bad leadership overall

I loved my direct supervisor and got great feedback from them. Overall, the direct team members were great and school staff are great. District leadership leaves something to be desired.

Pros

Programs always popping up to work on

Cons

Unhappy staff

Not equitable work environment

Schools are not equipped with enough staff to provide the necessary support for students who struggle both academically and behaviorally. Schools that struggle and have higher populations of low socioeconomic students aren't given the necessary resources to succeed.

Topeka Public Schools USD 501 insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Poor administration and Human Resources

This is a very poor place to work, especially in the transportation department. The transportation manager or supervisor in very uneducated about transportation and puts their work load on every other employee, especially the secretary. I do not recommend working for this place. They don’t understand what a hostile work environment is and honestly don’t care as long as your not administration.

Pros

Good insurance

Cons

Poor management, administration and HR

Very flexible, and easy to set up times to work

They make it easy to be a substitute teacher there while also having other commitments. The ability to sign up for jobs beforehand with the app they use is also amazing and lets me plan my days ahead really well.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Sometimes not given enough information

Horrible hours/atmosphere for custodians

I was expected to clean 16 rooms in four hours and was written up and reprimanded when I couldn’t meet that expectation. They treat their custodial staff like s*** and act shocked that no one wants to work there

Cons

Great professional development and support

There is a strong union in this district and a large number of teachers, so no one is ever struggling by themselves. There are high expectations of teachers and many opportunities for professional development.

Pros

professional development

Cons

it's public education

Education system

It can be hard to work for the public education system in our country. I was thankful for the teams I was a part of and each and every student I worked with. Do not take a job with special education if you are not patient and willing to work your bottom off.

I like my role at TPS I just wish there was more recognition for my department. I feel like we are over looked and under paid. No major complaints....

Pros

Yearly raises

Cons

Rules change too much

high levels of student discipline culture.

Great place for a verterian teacher who has a knack for gaining student respect and rapport. This place is impossible to teach at without it. Tight and supportive peer to peer culture.

501 Review

Excellent place to work. I would go back in a heartbeat. It was a fun but professional place. When it was time to work, we worked. Just seeing the kids grow from year to year made it all worth while.

Poor Management

typical day at work is tedious. If your even somewhat good at your own job, you end up doing everyone else's on top of your own. Management is poor. Someone misses a day because they just don't feel like showing up or they wanna go shopping or whatever and nobody cares. You miss a day because your kids have the flu and you get a write up because someone else had to do your job for you for the day.

Poor Working Environment

There was a lack of communication and support at the building I was at. There were lots of issues between staff members. Administration was not very involved with staff members, especially when asking for help.

Topeka public schools

Topeka public schools works hard.towards giving children a.chance at a better future through education. And Topeka public schools try to help the family succeed as well.

It was a clean place to work

The best part of this job was working with the students and getting to help them. The worst part was having to come up with test questions. A typical day was I would explain what we would be doing and then would demonstrate. I would then have the students practice under my supervision.

good pplace to work

good place to work, good people,easy to work for and with, good hours, not enough since this is a school not the actual kitchen where food for schools is prepared

Challenging, yet rewarding career

I was fortunate to work at a school where the climate was extremely positive and upbeat. The district itself, however, is going through some major changes with new leadership. Not all of these changes have been positive. The most positive aspect of my job was working with amazing teachers and administrators, great kids and parents. Some of the least positive aspects would be challenging student behavior. Also, communication from district leaders has been somewhat lacking recently.

Pros

Working nine months of the year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Topeka Public Schools USD 501. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits