Tops Friendly Markets Employee Reviews

Found 1,109 reviews matching the search See all 1,115 reviews
No job security and a lot of people quit
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYDecember 10, 2018
I liked my coworkers and hours around school but the manager should've forced me away from cash registers instead of reassuring me after I was being persistant.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No job security, bad management, severely outdated cashier systems
Good first job, but you can do better
Cart Attendant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYDecember 7, 2018
So, Tops is meh. I do carts, and a bit of EZ-Scan/Self checkout. Carts is very easy as long as you’re efficient. Managers are pretty relaxed, so it’s not bad. But there are some days you hate being outside. Mostly winter though.
Pros
Dental/Eye Care Benefits, Relaxed Environment
Cons
Pay
no hours no money
Food Preparation and service Worker (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYDecember 7, 2018
it was difficult working at tops they really had a number of people but not fruitful with hours if you apply for full time you should get at least 35 hours I was hired full time and was lucky to get 22 hour … luckly I ended up moving so I gave my 2 weeks
Pros
time to do things
Cons
no hours no pay .. cant provide with that
It was a very stressful environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYDecember 6, 2018
You have to cash for hours at a tile, there is employer favorites which isn’t fair and it’s not a fun place to work at. Customers can be very rude to you for no reason when it’s not your fault
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, rude costumers, and not fun
Fun and interesting
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 6, 2018
In my opinion tops was one of the best jobs I had but do to family issues that go in the way of work hours I began to clash with my managers but other than that tops has really good work quality and really good co workers very peaceful place to work
Pros
Break no matter what
Cons
No discounts
All around good place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYDecember 4, 2018
• either did carts, carry-out cafe, or was on a register
• wonderful managers
• hardest part of the job was trying to push the carts into the store during winter
lying pension thieves
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NYNovember 29, 2018
terrible company to work for only concerned with corporate bonuses. They stole their workers pension savings. warehouse is a garbage dump. dont care about the product they smash and cram fruits and vegetables onto a truck, they dont separate the organics and then charge you full price for something that was mixed. shameful distribution practices.
Pros
Cons
stolen pension money
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Depew, NYNovember 28, 2018
management at tops is terrible, very unapproachable and very rude, i never had a good experience with any high management and would recommend to nobody to work here ever
Pros
paid time off
Cons
management
Drama
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYNovember 27, 2018
Working here straight out of high school was good for the money, not that it was a lot but enough for my means. Seems like drama followed anyone who worked here, but for a kid it’s alright.
Good company to work for, would recommend
OVERNIGHT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  West Seneca, NYNovember 26, 2018
Tops Markets is a good company to work for. They are flexible with scheduling and are willing to work with associates based on their personal lives. There is sufficient compensation and promotion from within.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYNovember 25, 2018
The pay was low but it is a fun experience to work here at Tops Friendly Markets. The customers were alright. My coworkers were fun to work with. I would recommend somebody to work here’s
Terrible Managment, Rude employees, not worth the bad pay!!
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Spencerport, NYNovember 20, 2018
Working at tops was a literal nightmare. To start, the pay is terrible and not even minimum wage. Management is the worst I’ve seen in all of my work experience. Working previously in a bakery, Tops is the most disgusting food prep area I have ever seen. Went months without a manager then when we did get one on her first day she talked about her assault charges and continued to talk trash about the 16 and 17 year old employees that were in our department. Constantly losing employees and managers, and when they do have them they are so rude to customers. Worst job I have ever worked.
Cons
Rude employees, terrible and rude management, poor pay
Poor Management - Saving Money > Employee Appreciation
Printer, Mail Clerk, Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYNovember 14, 2018
Many Departments were poorly managed. Some cared too much about saving money where their co-worker's suffered by increasing work productivity and not increasing wages and eliminating positions. No room for advancement due to increase pay raises.
Other manager's spent too much money which cost the company thousands of dollars if not more.
Pros
Benefits and paid holidays, vacations and personal time.
Cons
No advancement
It's a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYNovember 14, 2018
It's a job and that's about it. I've worked here for several years and I still make minimum wage. Hours usually aren't steady, especially as a cashier.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
management
hated working here
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYNovember 12, 2018
didnt get enough hours
people would get hired then not come in
to fast a pace for me
had to deal with drunks
to loud of a work place
hard on the joints
Great people
Bulk Foods Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 11, 2018
I worked at Tops from 17 until 29. I had the opportunity to work in three different locations and had the pleasure of working with three different groups of people, they were all terrific and definitely what I miss the most.
Pros
People
Cons
Lack of advancement, management
Union job without the usual high union pay
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYNovember 10, 2018
I worked as many hours as were offered in a given week. The typical day was answering calls, processing refunds, money transfers, and lottery. I got the chance to work with multiple managers in my time and all had different approaches to work which made for an adjustment period when they changed management.
A typical day at work
Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 10, 2018
Arrive at 6am to go through the department, making sure everything is organized and fresh. Unload delivery and stock product. Order for next delivery. Continue stocking until floor is full while catering to customers needs. Put the rest of the unloaded delivery away in designated area to use later. Make sure clerical work is completed for the day. Before leaving make sure everything is fresh and organized and the next person in knows what to do for their shift.
The company is a good company to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYNovember 9, 2018
Good work environment. Friendly employees. Different chances to learn different departments. The customers were a big part of going to work everyday. I would reapply if I were in the area again.
Pros
It has a union.
Cons
No raise unless minimum wage goes up
Was a great place to work while it lasted!
Quality Assurance technician (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NY 14221November 8, 2018
There are a variety of areas including, purchasing, buyers, accounting, and the lab. Working in the Quality Assurance lab is fast paced at times when vendor and product decisions are on a tight deadline. For the most part everyone at Tops is friendly and easy to work with on projects. Occassionally, a customer complaint comes to the lab regarding a product that did not meet their standards. I enjoy helping the customer and analyzing the product to determine what was wrong.
Pros
Excellent manager
Cons
no longer in Buffalo, N.Y.