Torchy's Tacos Employee Reviews

Bad place to be hired
Busser/Server, Dishawasher,Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2018
Torchys cuts hours,and ultimately takes you down from making good money to about 100$ a paycheck for schedule you to work 3-4 times in a pay period,they expect you to stay hrs after the store closes an not still get payed very little to nothing. I wouldn't recommend.
Pros
50% off food, a lot of overtime
Cons
not getting payed enough, shortage of works hours, and managers arent on their game
Know the right people
Cashier/Kitchen/Trainer/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJuly 18, 2018
Been with this company for a while. Majority of the people are very kind-hearted. But the company is a mess. Certain departments loosely thrown together trying to make something work, with no real organization skills or management skills. If you know high up peope, you are guaranteed to go where you want. If you have no inside contacts, you're more than likely stuck where you are. Claim willing to hear and listen to everyone, been here a while, never had anything i suggested been taken into fact even when I have been proven right.
Pros
Great people, inside company activities, benefits
Cons
Easily stuck in a position, not heard, not really felt as part of the company as a whole
Fast paced
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJuly 16, 2018
Slow starts leading to hectic rushes. Quality of management varied greatly. High schoolers don't care if they're working hard or not. We ALWAYS had a break, and the good managers would jump in and help.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Suburban entitlement, spoiled child employees
fast passed
Cashier, Runner, Expo (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 16, 2018
great place to work, fast passed and pay is well given and fair, very stressful if you aren't used to working a typical full time job. great managers and great people.
Pros
great people
Cons
stressful
Eh.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJuly 14, 2018
Great food. Terrible management. No communication, lied about salary and refused to change it later blaming "payroll." Great discount, basically half off everything.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks.
Fun and Fast
BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2018
The biggest issue for me was our kitchen staff was trash but other than that i loved working for Torchys. It can get extremely fast paced and stressful but with the right support system its easy to handle
Cool place to work if you like tacos
Set standards for Exemplary customer service (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJuly 1, 2018
Like the title says it's a cool place to work if you like tacos. Kinda laid back environment with dress code and appearances. All you have to wear is one of the torchy's t-shirts and jeans / shorts with non-slip shoes. They give you 50% off all food and shirts with a max limit of 21 dollars. This restaurant is a training store so don't get used to managers they are constantly getting sent to different stores. Employees are super cool and friendly, management on the other hand not so much. Very sarcastic and have favorites, especially when being promoted. One example is trying to move up from a cashier. You are pretty much punished for doing too good of a job. I have felt this as well as many others. You can easily exceed expectations compared to the rest of the staff and they will notice eventually and instead of rewarding you with promotions or raises. They try to keep you in that position as long as possible because they cant afford to lose you. They're supposed to do evaluations every 6 months and after almost three years they only did it twice. Schedules are pretty much gridlocked since they play favorites and believe any reason you cant work shifts. For example my personal favorite "I cant close because I cant see well at night" but proceed to leave right at closing very well past sunset every night. Outdated way of requesting days offs, first come first serve. Pretty much guaranteed to work major holidays/breaks. You have to find the calendar book and write the date and the reason and keep up with it because they will throw out the old book and get a new book without  more... transferring over the requested days, had that happened twice.
Things to expect would be standing for 8-9 hours taking constant orders with little to no time between customers. Constantly answering phone calls and angry customers with wrong orders.
Pros
two free shirts when hired, 50% off food and clothing, friendly works, paid vacation, host contests for rewards, after a year of working you get a $25 bonus every year.
Cons
15 min breaks usually have to repeatedly ask, 8-9 hour shift is the norm, 99% of the time will be asked to stay past shifts, constantly being called in, favorites, shift schedules are pretty much grid locked, hard to request off and outdated.
Face paced yet fun environment
Food Runner/ Cashier / Dishwasher / Janitor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 29, 2018
The atmosphere at Torchy's was amazing. The customers were always pleasant and all of my associates made work so fun for me. My only issues were that they could never work with my scheduling even if I gave them days I couldn't work months ahead. Also, I was working multiple positions doing many duties outside for what I was hired for. They always neglected my offer to cross train so my work could match my pay, and if I denied in participating in those extra tasks without proper pay, managers will threaten me with determination. But outside from certain managers the rest of the management was great, giving me praises for my hard work and as even going so far as feeding me on days I had little to no money. My loyalty was strong towards torchy's because they hired me when I was desperate for a job as soon as I applied. Yet through time, it turned into a corrosive relationship after the work environment worsened more and more while my fellow employees quit for similar reasons to my leaving.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, Beautiful workplace, Discounts on food
Cons
Bad management, Lack of pay, Unable to work around school and emergencies
A taco shop that was once a cart
Runner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 18, 2018
The poorest of management. They did not know how to deal with people and their problems. The ones who would get disciplined are the ones who didn't cause the problem. It was too chaotic to keep track of what was going on.
Competitive and relax
Expo, runner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 11, 2018
The expo receives the order tickets from the servers or printer in the kitchen and communicates which menu items need to be prepared to the wheel cook. This position requires excellent reading and communication skills
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Stressfull
Productive, helpful and social with other people
Foot ru (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXJune 11, 2018
Always working,to socialize with others,can lead others and myself into doing work, dealing with any type of problem, will always help others, and be on point.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shirt breaks
Decent place of employment.
Cashier/Runner/Taco/Expo (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 8, 2018
I worked here for about 6 months, as I did enjoy my time, the company was very understaffed. Management was poor and unforgiving. I would probably still be working with them if picking up the slack of their lack of employees didn't totally drain me.
Awesome place to work
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 5, 2018
Wonderful managers and coworkers. Fun fast pace environment with plenty of advancement opportunities. Benefits for full time and part time employees. Highly recommended
Pros
Discounts, flexible schedules
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun place to work
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 4, 2018
On a busy day/night, it was very stressful. Every one was working really hard to get food out to customers as quickly as possible. When the restaurant wasn't busy, it was very chill.
Pros
Good tacos and half off
Cons
Short breaks
Fun and fast paced, but stressful
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXMay 31, 2018
The team members were a lot of fun to work with. We always shot the breeze and played music, and got along. However, the lunch and dinner rushes get very stressful, because you're trying to hurry, and the tickets are flooding in like an avalanche. At the end of all the actual work, you're usually left with a huge mess to clean, when you're already exhausted. I'm not complaining about hard work, but doing the same thing and going through all that stress every night got to be too much for me.
Pros
Great team members, great food, and sense of accomplishment
Cons
Stress
Fast paced
Supervisor/Server (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMay 24, 2018
Extremely fast paced. Little to no down time. Management was good some were helpful in helping you succeed. If you want to advance they have plenty opportunities.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, very hot
fun place to work with great food
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXMay 22, 2018
the people and environment at torchys are fun and artistic. The food is great and the work isn't too demanding. There are some chances for promotions but they are limited
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
low pay
This place is gangbusters!
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Mueller, Austin, TexasMay 17, 2018
Co-workers make this job the most fun! I like being cross-trained to work various positions within the store. Training is amazing and trainers always take extra time making sure we are prepared. Time flies during volume shifts. Customers love us...what’s not to like!
Pros
50% off
Cons
Getting queso on your shirt ;)
Fun environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Highland Village, TXMay 15, 2018
Fun place to work, great work environment. I learned a lot from this company. The hardest part of this job is the employees. The most enjoyable part is all the tacos .
Very Busy and low salary
Bus Person (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2018
When I worked at Torchy's In Austin at SoCo, it would be always busy and you'd think from all this money they're making they can increase the wage for the employees but i guess not.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Torchy's Tacos. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight