Torrid Employee Reviews

Great job, but doesn't pay enough
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 16, 2019
My store manager was fantastic, as were all of my coworkers. Despite my irregular schedule being a student, my SM always made sure my requested days off were granted.

There's not really a training program. You learn as you go, and it's not that difficult once you get the routine. Customers were always really nice. Work consisted of restoration, cleaning fitting rooms, taking calls, cashiering, and helping customers to a higher degree than most retail stores.

I would've loved to keep working there, but I left because I wasn't getting paid enough ($8.50/hr). It's just not competitive nor sustainable. I would bring in $20,000+ worth of sales to the store every month yet I'd only take home like $300 every two weeks. Having to sell jeans and dresses that would take a whole day's worth of work to afford felt incredibly disproportionate and unjust. Most of my shifts were only 3 or 4 hours long because they needed someone to help close. Maybe for a high school student, something like this is suitable, but Torrid hires only 18+. Unless you can get yourself higher pay, probably look somewhere else if they're hiring associates.
Great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJune 14, 2019
Fun place to work, and you meet lots of wonderful people. Pay is minimum wage, and that is the biggest complaint I have. Customer service line is a nightmare.
Constant micormanaging
Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJune 12, 2019
DM is very rude and condescending. She would often brush off concerns/ complaints that she didn't feel were her problem.She was also very hard to contact and avoided the store RM was never around. SM was completely unaware of what is going on in her store. When bringing up complaints she would not follow through to find resolutions. She was also lazy and didn't not participate in cleanliness, or tasking. Projects would always fall on the shoulders of lower management and sales associates. Sm was very opinionated and would consistently bring up inappropriate personal topics in the work place making even customers feel uncomfortable. No work life balance. I was always called or texted on my days off or on vacation to answer remedial questions that any staff member should be able to answer.
Overall, an extremely unprofessional and toxic environment.
District and Store Managers aren't useful
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 7, 2019
They don't hire competent District or Store managers. We never had a full management team while I was there. Key holders get stuck doing all the tasks and running the store. District manager that we had was severely disorganized, had mood swings, never praised people for hard work, never knew who she was talking to, and would tell the workers that they had to wear makeup and have their hair done (against company policy to enforce). The store manager was worse. Together they hired and promoted the wrong people which caused a domino effect of good workers leaving.
Fun work environment
Sales Associat (Former Employee) –  MDJune 6, 2019
This was my second job it gave me a lot of confidence working with people hands on and getting to know customers. Also i learned a lot about organizing and keeping things on track and doing everything on a timely matter
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not a lot of hrs
Summer Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 3, 2019
I really liked working for Torrid. I only worked there part time for two summers. They worked really well with my schedule and my manager was very kind.
Depends on perspective
MANAGER/ KEY HOLDER/ STYLIST (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 3, 2019
Lots to handle,Customers are the worst part. But thats what you get in retail unfortunately. I do appreciate that the company is team oriented and plus size friendly!
Friendly and caring environment
Sales Associate (Part- time) (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIJune 3, 2019
The girls I worked with were great. We had a lot of laughs, and there was real sisterhood. I only wish that we got paid more, and that they where more friendly to employees with certain health issues.
Cons
healthcare
Fun at times
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAJune 2, 2019
Some times it was fun. Other times you had management breathing down your back. Super friendly staff. Always something new to looks at. Great discount!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks.
Very poor management chain
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLMay 31, 2019
I only give this company 2 stars because not all the employees hired were awful & the 40% discount was nice.
However, management of this company is awful. This location has a manager who neglected her faithful staff for a select few who sucked up to her, causing everyone else to quit. That’s why this location is always hiring people. If you weren’t one of her favourites, you could forget about getting any hours. I think I went nearly 10 weeks without a shift once.
Customers can get obnoxious and rude, management won’t stand behind their staff, but flooded and offer discounts and freebies to customers to keep them happy, while letting customers walk all over their staff.
Also, rarely promote from within, almost always hire from outside. Forget about progression. 2 years and was never offered anything despite being a great employee.
May be ok as a starter job, but not for long-term
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor management, no hours, no promotions
it was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIMay 31, 2019
work days were pretty slow unless it was the weekend, uhm the store that i worked at really didn't give me hours so i didn't stay there. the benefits were nice.
Pros
discount
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and fun place to work, plenty of room for advancement
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAMay 31, 2019
When you start out as a sales associate, you don’t get many hours. However there is plenty of room to move up. The management is awesome, it’s just an overall fun place to work
Proactive and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 29, 2019
Managers made the environment better. customers were all so amazing, You can be yourself and be able to drive sales! unfortunately retail associates don't make enough to live on or support children.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
retail doesn't pay enough to live on
great compay
Part-Time Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 28, 2019
loved torrid. had a misunderstanding with the manager but overall a good companuy to work for. need higher wages bc employees do alot of work and it is more strenous than you would think.
Great for experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pismo Beach, CAMay 24, 2019
Torrid is a very quick paced work environment that for some, the sales floor can be intimidating. I myself, preferred working in the stockroom. You can learn a lot here, they have a wide variety of tasks and positions that they do every day. You MUST be energetic. This is not a joke. Be sure you are taking care of your sleep and nutritional requirements. It will help greatly. Often you will be assigned a station such as cash wrap desk, denim department, or dressing rooms. You are to STAY in that station. Stockroom is usually only required about once a week. Meetings are generally quarterly. If you are in a mall or outlet, depending on mall policy, sometimes you may volunteer to be holiday greeter for your shift. I myself, was the Halloween greeter in 2014.
Corporate Culture
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAMay 24, 2019
Pros: Cafeteria, on-site gym, free parking

Cons: Hard to advance your career. Company would rather hire and train than promote and reward from within.
Calm place with friendly customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 19, 2019
This was my first job, and I loved it. Only reason I left was because I got my hours cut. I already fix the clothing in stores like this and this was like heaven for me. I learned how to properly fold everything, deal with customers appropriately and unpack shipment quickly. I also learned how to convince people to sign up for the credit card. The hardest part of the job was probably just closing. The clearance section was always a mess, no matter how many times you would fix it throughout the day. So fixing that for closing always wore me out. The most enjoyable part of. the job was probably the coworkers. Working is always more fun when you're with people you enjoy.
Pros
discount, learning experience
Great Staff relationship
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 18, 2019
Relationship within the staff is great but competition with customers is an everyday problem. Small store so all merchandise is over packed into racks and hard to find.
Great company to work for
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 17, 2019
As an assistant manager, we had expectations that had to be met, but at the same time were given a lot of freedom within our own store. Because the stores are smaller, we had a great team that became like family. My only drawback is that unless you were the store manager, pay was non-existent. As an assistant manager, I made $2 more an hour than the sales associate, but was expected to do much, much more. It ended up being my reason for leaving.
Pros
flexible schedules, close team
Cons
low pay
Really Fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 16, 2019
Everyone got a long and we all enjoyed working together! it was one of the best jobs I have had, and I am really sad about leaving, but I can't wait to return in the future!
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
short/no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Torrid. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Torrid.

Powered by Comparably