TOTAL ACTION FOR PROGRESS Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Meter Technician (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 22, 2018
Great place to work, worked well with management. Did things that I was supposed to do (turn offs and paint/pipe). I scanned everything and was a very good company to work for. They really cared for their employees
Enjoyed training youth; horrible staff culture
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 28, 2018
The actual working with students was great, everything else was the drizzling s$%ts. No active management. Workplace bullying is/was rampant. If you don't fit a certain image for a role, you WILL be railroaded out. Watched it happen to two people, then it happen to me. I learned the definition of gas-lighting and work place bullying from this place. If i had handled it properly, and documented I would have got them for millions and would be sitting on a beach somewhere. But I cared about the job too much. Construction program, along with others, are often just facades for grants and the money is then placed anywhere else they can get away with. Watched students who were entirely capable of the completing the program be turn away because of instructors personal taste in people. When TAPs programs struggle and they ask the community for help. It is a problem they create because the community is aware of their practices.
Pros
tons of PTO
Cons
Horrible culture, no-one really "cares", too much depended on moods
Very hhard to work for
Pmm (Former Employee) –  RoanokeMarch 1, 2018
Treatemployees uneQual if you are in the click good if not bad non profit that uses grants unethically president and other board members ate paid wat to much
Pros
Alot of pto
Cons
No lunches, no compensation for overtime
Productive Workplace
Teacher II (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 13, 2017
Total Action for Progress: Head Strat is a very well managed and equal opportunity environment. A typical day would involve preparing bottles for four child approximately every two hours, feeding the children baby food between one or two bottle feedings, engaging children in age appropriate activates, when they are awake. I will keep the abreast of what accrued with their children in the center though an individualized daily reports. I will plan daily individualized lesson daily activities for children using the Creative Curriculum, which focuses on social and emotional, cognitive, physical development, fine and gross motor development.

I have learned that caring for infants and toddlers requires immense creativity, and patience, (it can be compared to babysitting) during my five years working for Total Action for Progress: Head Strat. The most trying part of the job is documenting the anecdotal notes into the creative curriculum on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning about the temperament of each child, and engaging each child according to his or her abilities. I also gained confidence among my co-workers and the management team, because they answered all my questions I had concerning the my job, and they made me feel comfortable, in performing my duties on the job. I looking forward to coming to work every day.
Pros
Learning about the temperament of each child, and engaging each child according to his or her abilities.
Cons
Documenting the anecdotal notes into the creative curriculum on a daily basis.
Excelleent place to work.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 20, 2017
Have had some disappointments concerning how I have been treated by management-telling me I was going to be promoted and then it never happening. Overall, TAP is a good place to work.
Pros
Nice people and plenty of time off.
Cons
Poor management at times.
Looking for a productive work environment with room for advancement
Leadership and Life Skills Developer (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 23, 2017
Typical day of work includes data entry and case noting. Monitoring students and providing them with resources.
I have learned how to conduct interviews, facilitate group sessions, be a leader among experienced coworkers, etc.
Management here is a top down philosophy.
The hardest part of my job is knowing that every student that is in my program will not get the help they seek. Not everyone can be helped.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I may have a positive impact on youth.
Pros
the ability to have freedom to do things on your own
Cons
limited growth within the agency for promotion
Great work enviorment
Case Manager, Counselor, Life Skills Developer (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 8, 2015
Great place to work if you want to help people, the staff enviorment is great and the leadership is cutting edge. Creativity and hard work is rewarded.
A workplace where I can make a difference in the lives of others.
Family Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 23, 2014
A typical day at work for me would consist of checking with the educators/teachers in both the three and four year old classroom to find out if all enrolled children have attended for the day. Those that are absent I will call the parents /care givers to inquire about the absent if that have not called to inform staff. I work very close with the educators in my center; they provide education and I work with the families. WE ARE A GREAT TEAM! I send a report to my supervisor including: children that are absent, reasons for the absences and the total number of children in attendance. I’ve learned to be very flexible in my job. I come in contact with sick children, child abuse, domestic violence in the home; parents evicted from their homes and become homeless, parents in need of employment or maybe just desire to further their education. Chantell is who they want to see when these issues and many other issues arise in their lives. I remind myself that I could very well be in the same situation as the parents I serve. It’s important that I care and empathized, take time to listen, not to judge but support them. Provide them with ALL resources possible. I enjoy people and in this line of work; I meet many people from various walks of life. A philosophy of mine is simple: I may not have accomplished what I planned to accomplish for the day, but if I helped someone, made a difference and put a smile on their faces, for me it’s an accomplishment!
Pros
Working with exceptional people, helping others, informative workshops and trainings, 401K, PTO and paid holidays off, flexibility, working for a company that have program that meet needs of people genders, age, race, disabilities and many walks of live.
Cons
pay, support