Total Wine & More

totalbeerspirittastingalcoholstoreretaildiscount

Great workplace

Featured review

Total Wine & More selected this as a representative review
Overall it's been a great experience. Co workers and managers are helpful and super nice. It's a very fast paced at times but overall it's a job I enjoy.

Terrible company

The (non-management) made working there much easier. But the management for over a year sucks. Management has an agenda and if your in the way be excepting a termination with your name on it. You feel very unheard and alot of gossip goes on with people that shouldn't be in the loop that are.

Total Wine & More insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Micro-Management Ruined It

Top heavy management. Expected to do things without enough equipment to do job. Over belief in technology that frequently did not work; Theatro devices, handheld inventory.

Pros

Close to home.

Cons

Schedules I never agreed to.

Fun workplace with knowledgeable coworkers!

Working here has been so much fun. My managers actually do work; they help us with all of our tasks, are fully encouraging, and truly treat us with respect and dignity. The hours fly by, as the store is always busy. The pay could be higher, and the hours aren’t always consistent, but the people you work with make it worth while.

Good people, okay company

Before the company hired two new managers, there were a few coworkers thag underperformed and were very rude. Now everyone left is fun to work with and very friendly. Corporate doesn't really care about the employees but what Corporate lacks management makes up for.Employee recognition is based solely upon customer feedback which is the dumbest thing.

Pros

Free lunch on holidays and events, free tastings, 10-30% discount

Cons

Old white ceos aren't okay with change

Not worth your time.

Don’t waste your time working. If they see you are a hard worker they will just give you more work to do with the same pay. Management is horrible, probably the worst management I had ever experience.

Fun place to work and learn about products in the store.

Enjoy the interaction with other employee's. Learning about products in the store and where there from is fun. You get a lot of different customers from all age groups in the store which makes it interesting to see there likes and dislikes of product's the software they use is real easy to learn and you catch on quickly about other procedure's in the store.

Nope

The one that you have been using for the last few days is not a problem at the time I was talking about it at all times but it is a good nite and it was good for you and

Fun place to work

get to learn a lot about alcohol which is great.Clients are mostly easy to work with and can easily form relationships with regulars who share common interests

Productive & somewhat stable.

Full time merchandiser works anywhere from 27+ hours when cut to about 36ish depending on budget of the week/month. Here in Sa; TX I started out at $15 negotiated two pay raises first year. We shall see how they give raises based off 1-5 scale. Now for what I do, usually I open which is just doing the pulls for the store mainly spirits/wine need to be done before 10am (opening) then you can do the rest however long it needs. Then usually there's a mid day merchant who does the truck that comes every Monday with the closing merchandiser stopping everything they do at around 6:50pm. The focus on cleaning bathrooms, grabbing trash around the store and be asset protection at 8:45. Then at 9 you close everything then wait for closing manager to count money then all leave or you leave a little after 9. Also the truck that comes Monday isn't too bad average 6-8 pallets a week but if your team is lazy like mine it'll take all week.

Poor pay

The job was fine but the pay was not good. I expected tops to compensate for a low hourly wage but we relied on cash tipping only as we were told that the online tipping option was not approved in our area yet but "eventually" would. Every time I asked about it, management would tell me they weren't sure when it would happen and also mentioned that online tips may be pooled with the other drivers and even in house staff which is not a fair practice. The deliveries were busy during the holidays and cash tips were ok, but once January rolled around it became increasingly slower and the tips became fewer and farther between. Wasn't a bad work environment l and management was friendly but corporate structure wouldn't allow them to compensate adequately.

Pros

Friendly management

Cons

Poor pay

Run!! Not worth your Time or Energy

After giving this company two years of my time and energy they repay you with lies and don't let the door hit you in the rear on you way out. They only care about the bottom line, whatever you accomplished wasn't enough or wasn't done fast enough, and as long as they made their sales goals they couldn't care less. I've witnessed an unsafe work environment day after day and management unwillingly to address it. And a management team that was never on the same page. Over worked and underpaid. And never appreciated. And no room to grow. If you take pride in yourself or your work ethic. Don't give them two minutes of your time.

Don’t work here if you care about feeling safe!

This used to be a great place to work but sadly it’s gone down hill. They would rather higher from out side the company then to promote from within. No communication, theft and threats of violence are on the rise like no other but they refuse to put safety first and out security in the store.

Pros

Education, free lunch and free wine

Cons

Safety and promotion from within non priority

Great place to start in the wine business

Great training and environment to build skills in the wine and retail business. You will be very active merchandising product and interacting with customers.

Productive workplace

Team works well together to get tasks completed in a timely manner. Management that has been with the company for years is GREAT. Would have loved to stay, but moving alto a new city got in the way of that.

Not a good environment

This is a horrible work environment. You will be told 500 ways how to do one thing. Leaving you to do the job several times. Management does nothing while the store is struggling.

Amazingly positive attitude from management energizes the team members, as it should.

Great people, job was right down my alley, just too far away for the pay and gas rates. If I was closer, it would be a no-brainer. I received so much help and inspiration from all of my team members.

Terrible management

Management will leave you alone on the sales floor (or even clock out to go home) to sell and help customers in a store the size of Academy sports. You will be responsible for keeping the sales numbers above 50% in wine and above 20% in spirits. At the same time you will be called to cashier, respond to in store pick up or curb side delivery, you will also have to help stock weekly truck, act as Loss Prevention, and collect carts. They keep you past your scheduled time off if you close. You will never get out on time but they want you to show up 5 minutes before your start time. All this in one shift. On weekends expect to work from 10a - 9pm with a 30 minute break. Time clock is at the front of the store and break room is in the back of the store. You will get stopped by customers, taking away time from your break.You will never get weekends off unless you request it but usually management favorites get them first. Expect to work open to past close. They claim you can’t request time off during the week of major holidays but I see management, supervisors, and their buddies get these days off. You get an annual review and no matter how hard you work or how good you are at selling they will not rate you above 4 out of 5. Pay raise is between $0.10-$.75 a year depending on how profitable the store was the year prior.Total wine will cut your hours the week before and after a holiday. After New Years, the bonus they claim to give you won’t be enough to cover the lost wages you will see between the months of January-April. But that’s IF the store hits the sales goal. Store management -

Pros

Get free booze

Cons

Toxic management, no work life balance, favoritism, low pay

Decent learning experience

Do not expect a fair or decent raise. You will most likely get a 1% raise every 4 months if you constantly ask for it. Don't bother on learning things outside you main position, you are not going to any recognition for it.

Overworked/Underpaid/Horrible Management

I worked this job as a cashier/merchandising for 6 months and I can say in all my years of customer service it is hands down the worst job I ever had. Micromanaged in every way, head management was horrible to me and questioned me about having Covid even though I caught it at the store because the mask mandate was not enforced in store to customers during the peak of the pandemic. Threw my back out twice while merchandising. Overworked and underpaid and novelty tactics such as snacks and the occasional treats to “boost morale”. I would never advise anyone to work this job.

Do not work here

You will be pushed to your limits and not compensated. Management is lazy and will stand behind a desk. Not working as there main objective. No teamwork.

Common questions about Total Wine & More

Answered by current and former employees at Total Wine & More

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

1.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss