Total Wine & More
Happiness rating is 58 out of 100

Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

Featured review
Total Wine & More selected this as a representative review
great job excellent training and wonderful management. Has done very well at protecting its employees through this pandemic! Flexible shifts and awesome discount on wine.
Management belittles their employees and don’t believe in raises or helping another employee move up in the company. You can work 4 years with no growth or no pay raises for an employee to live substantially on their own. They say pay rate is based on level in the company.
Cons
Easy and fun part time job. Cashiering is fairly easy and the customers are all fairly nice. You get the occasional bad egg or two but nothing crazy.
Store cuts many hours short without any empathy about your personal life having to be behind on your bills... No regard to work balance... High expectations without help from management... Corporate greed runs rampant here! Wouldn't work here again
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Lousy pay... micro management...too many leaders not on the same page
Every day I learn a ton about wine and spirits. Most of the people I work with are friendly. However, I am constantly over loaded with tasks that are above my pay scale while managers sit around and do little to nothing all day.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Terrible pay
Not many benefits except for free and discounted alcohol, long hours for little pay, managers can be lazy and strict. Cool environment to work in, but the work and pay isn't worth it
Pros
Alcohol discounts, cool environment
Cons
Low Pay
Great place to work with good people so long as you are not looking for something challenging. For what it is, the pay is fine, but career advancement would be a slow process.
For the most part, this company seems to have a good idea of which direction it wants to go, it's just a matter of how to get there. I love the overall aspect of my job and am constantly challenged to put myself out there to learn more and develop myself. The only caution I would have for them is do not forget who makes your money. While your external customers are obviously the ones spending their money at your locations, your INTERNAL customers are the ones that are making this happen. Make sure you take good care of them, and don't just dole out bottles and pizza parties. Give them the time they need with their families, work to make them happy and they will make you happy in return!It's not bad working here, I really do love my job quite a bit. It's just a slippery slope to Corporate America, and you don't want a landslide.
Pros
Benefits, training programs, culture
Cons
Work/life balance, time management
I like working here a lot. Great coworkers, sometimes stressful work but they do things like buy everyone lunch and because of the company’s size scheduling is kind of flexible. This is a high volume store and honestly everyone works super hard. Wish I earned more for being a salesperson. I help lots of other people earn money, I don’t get any incentive for meeting goals.
Pros
Good company culture, interesting work, wine training and free wine
Cons
Long days (10hr shifts) low hourly rate
Enjoyed working with customers as well as most co-workers. I feel management could do a better job of nudging some employees to do better to help team.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of any work ethic by some co-workers
This work environment is very flexible & they work with your schedule, very pleased with my team & company. But sometimes you can be underpaid if you don’t speak up
Pros-Worked with mostly good co-workers; Good company benefits; Cons-felt under-paid for all the tasks I was handling; didn’t feel store manager really cared about me.
Pros
Company bonus; benefits; paid time off
Cons
Management; work load
I only got to work at Total Wine & More for a couple of months but I had an overall great experience! For a college student, the pay was good and the management was very helpful. I worked around the holidays, so it was very busy but time went by quickly. Loved working at Total Wine & More.
Horrible experience, none of the long-term employees are staying at the store anymore, and are all leaving for better opportunities. No consistency in scheduling, and no living wage paid.
Pros
Discount can be up to 30%
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
It's a great place to work as a part time employee. They are always looking to hire cashiers, definitely have job security because of the pandemic, always super happy and helpful.
I loved working at Total Wine. It was fun to interact with customers, learn about so many different types of beer, wine, and spirits. Coworkers were cool, some sucked, but that’s any place. I would have loved to stay there longer but I was seasonal and got a better paying job.
Pros
Air conditioned store
Cons
The managers were moody but were cool when they were in good moods! Most of my coworkers were nice though! The work-life balance is terrible unless you take off or have reasons you can’t work certain times. They were accommodating when it came to schedule conflicts! It wasn’t likely you’d be able to take your breaks on time unless it’s slow! The pay didn’t match the work load but the discounts were nice if you bought their preferred brands! I was always asked to stay late, come early, or come in on my off days which was annoying.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, pay, scheduling
Overall i wanted to love this job and i did..for about two weeks. the higher up management is absolutely awful. from favoritism to being lazy, to literally telling me NO when i ask to be trained in an area we were suffering in. the hiring process is incredibly misleading.
Pros
competitions result in free bottles here and there, coworkers, generally happy customers
Cons
management, misleading, pay not worth the work you do
Long days, a lot of sales pressure and not enough pay for all employees regardless of position. Conservative company always have to do what they think the owners would be ok with. No work life balance
Management sucked. Dont let people with experience and no brains boss you around. Not that great of work culture. People in minnetonka total wine were a bit toxic. Also annoying working by vendors that get in your way.
Pros
Fun to talk to customers
Cons
Poor pay, bad management
This place can be soul sucking, but most of the teammates that I worked with were incredible and became lifelong friends. Many lead managers barely help around the store aside from having big-corporation-Jeff-Bezos energy (or no energy at all, not even a hello), project their stress and micromanage overworked, underpaid employees. Other managers (presumably underpaid) actively boost morale, offer constructive feedback/hold team members accountable, and actually get their hands dirty to help their teams. Workplace culture amongst most folks is generally fun and lighthearted unless it involves management. Lots of *managers* talking behind employees' backs to other employees, super unprofessional and uncomfortable. For the most part, everyone that I worked with had a great sense of humor and worked incredibly hard for a minimum wage check. No acknowledgement or advancement opportunities for going above and beyond. Lots of physical labor, long hours, but mindless work at times and you get to help people find wine/spirits/beer and such that they like.
Pros
Free lunches, holiday gifts, inclusive and fun teammates
Cons
Short breaks, managers project their stress onto you/make rude remarks, no acknowledgement/advancement opportunities for going above and beyond
  1. Employee Reviews