Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2018
Great place to work if you don't mind a fluid schedule. And anyone supervisor and above as to work 50 hours. Managers are usually nice and willing to help. Lots of training available.
Pros
lots of free food. good discount
Cons
Productive and fun place to work with lots of free wine, and classes and tatsings
Consumer Insights Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 13, 2018
A very positive team environment, with minimum micromanagement and optimum direction and coaching from the management. Great perks like - wine tastings, free wine and other store merchandise etc.
Pros
free wine tastings, free wine and other store merchandise etc.
Opened the doors to a new world
WINE & SPIRITS SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNDecember 10, 2018
Amazing company that will open the doors to a whole new world. I really loved this company and would see be working for them if i could. My decision to leave was due to my own personal needs and nothing to do with them. they are great.
Pros
wine, spirits, bonus, balanced.
Cons
pay is nothing special
Fun place to work
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLDecember 10, 2018
It was fun the people I worked with were awesome. Friendly all the managers were nice. Sympathetic when it came to things happening in your life. I would go back if the pay went up. You get to know the people who come in.
Good starting point
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 8, 2018
Work ranged between dull, somewhat interesting, and fascinating. Pay was fair and method of advancement and pay increase was fair. Culture could be somewhat stressful, environment became harsh at times. Corporate America truisms. If you want to play the game and know how, you might do very well here.
Great place to gain experience and learn quite a bit about wine, beer, and spirits.
Full-time employment within 6 months (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 7, 2018
You'll learn lots at this place of employment. They'll provide any and all the educational tools needed. They even have exams on wine and spirits that you get paid for taking. Not a bad place to work.
Pros
Bonuses for passing exams
Cons
Stingy with hours
Good place to work if youre not a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 30, 2018
Management expects so much from the front end it actually seem like more than they do. Working on the floor is where it's at I've been told (by employees who work the floor or when a cashier works a floor shift) that they barely do anything and cashiering is harder work. It's nice you get to interact with customers. The bad thing is the managers and floor people are just talking away in the office area while the cashiers are super busy with customers. The management gets super upset if you leave your register to grab a bottle from the office but wont listen when you call them on the walkie talkie so they can grab it for you. What made me leave is they knew I had epilepsy and I had to call in one day because I was feeling like I was going to have one, and the manager got upset with me and tried making me feel guilty about it. Also tejy promised me hours they couldnt give I have to take an uber 5o work everytime I go so i told them i needed at least 30 hours a week In my interview (which the promised they could do) and ended up giving me like 18 at average. I was fast at what I did so they only put me to work on Friday Saturday and Sunday the busy days. I asked multiple times for more hours and never got them but yet they have a now hiring sign out front. They would give me 5 hour shifts so I wouldn't get a break and then try and make me stay longer. Either that or they would act like they didn't know I was supposed to leave at that time so I would stay longer.
Pros
I got paid
Cons
No breaks, bad management
It's fun and interesting at first, but gets tiresome.
Cashier and Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 28, 2018
The job prioritizes wine above all else, and if you want to get anywhere in the company you have to be able to sell tons of their "Winery Direct" wine and not anything name brand (ie Kendall Jackson). The company makes their money off of their Winery Direct wines, which is why they push it so hard. If you're going for a sales job, and you're great at sales and getting people to switch or upsell them, then you'd do alright here.

Cashier-wise, the job is taxing, as most cashier jobs tend to be. You have to pitch their rewards program (&More Rewards), which only works for certain wines and barely ever on anything else in the store. They say that they "updated" it by adding vouchers that can work for anything, but most customers are still unhappy with the program. And naturally, those customers will bring their concerns to the cashiers first and then to the managers last. Some cashiers have extra responsibilities such as putting together web orders or filling the mini bottles up front. Said cashiers are often not given enough time or coverage to be able to work on these tasks.

Merchandisers/stockers are the ones who do the heaviest work, often times being the first ones called to bring down cases of wine and being sent to fetch shopping carts outdoors. I can't speak much more on their jobs since I never worked it, but I admire all of the hard work that they have done for the store.

Positives sides: You get to learn a lot about the wines and liquors, your co-workers are usually very friendly and helpful, and the store manager will sometimes order food if he's feeling generous.
  more... The job starts at a little over $10 (usually) but raises are stagnant, if they go up at all. If you are very good at selling, then you get to work an easy job, just be aware that you don't get commission. On the contrary, for every over 22 ID a cashier scans, they get $0.10; for every 21 ID, they get $0.30; and for any denials or fakes, they get $5. Depending on your location and the time of year, that can all add up really quickly.

Regardless of where you work in the store, you need to be able to lift heavy boxes. They really mean it when they ask if you can lift 50 pounds. If you have back problems, this is not the job for you.
Pros
Free wine and liquor knowledge, decent discounts on wine, usually a relaxed atmosphere
Cons
30 minute breaks, long hours (6-10 is standard), standing all day, anything I've mentioned below
Productive environment
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLNovember 26, 2018
Total Wine and More is a fun place to work. Prior to working here, I did not know much about wine and all the different types of spirits available. I learned a lot about of the different regions of wines and how the environment affects wine production. We as employees are encouraged to learn as much as we can about spirits and wines as this helps us to also educate our customers.
Very fast paced
Wine Manager / Spirits Manager (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 15, 2018
Total wine is a very fast paced place to work. While they do pay their employees well the usually run with a very limited staff and require a lot from their employees while on the clock. The training is unmatched of any company I have worked for outside the military.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Short breaks
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GANovember 14, 2018
Stocking shelves, counting money in cash register and ringing up customers. Cleaning up the store and organizing store shelves. Lots of interaction with customers.
Pros
Opportunity to meet new people
Cons
remedial tasks
Great learning experiences
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 13, 2018
Total Wine & More gives the opportunity for great learning experiences. Total Wine gives you great retail experience with the perk of tasting new wines to make better recommendations to our customers.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, Benefits
Cons
The worst company I've worked for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2018
I would never recommend this company. Lot's of favoritism and unethical treatment of managers. Terrible place to work. Promotions were given to mangers who would no call no show and were very green.
A fun place to work and learn...not enough hours.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 10, 2018
I am currently working for Total Wine and More. Lots of great people to work with. Management is pretty great as well. Fast paced in the merchandising positions.Learning a lot about different beers and wines. Decent discounts of products, Not a lot of hours to go around. I get scheduled for less than 25 hours per week.Other than low hours the hardest part of the job is moving and rearranging cases of wine, beer and spirits. Good workout though, no need for a gym membership.
Great Staff Ethics
Wine Educator (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WANovember 3, 2018
Wonderful to staff. Great Training. Total totally values their staff and realise that staff is their biggest asset.
Pay not great but good enough. Opportunities to increase pay by qualifying for Totals Professional Program.
meet a lot of different people
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  River Edge, NJOctober 29, 2018
I clock in go pick a bottle I want to sell for the day set a goal for how many I want to sell. Learned how to be more vocal and speak to others. nice people
Pros
free lunches, discounts
Cons
short break, no room for growth, underpaid, managers are rude, favorite certain people, and overall could careless about you or your well-being.
expected more
Wine and Spirits Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 26, 2018
there are perks to working there but the pay and hours were way to low. unless you can get overtime the pay is low. the people are the one thing that kept me there
It was good and not so good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNOctober 18, 2018
I enjoyed interacting with the customers and the knowledge I gained about spirits. I liked working there and it got better over time. I was not empowered in the smallest situation.
Pros
free lunches and contests
Cons
short breaks and quick turnover
basic retail
FRONT END MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Claymont, DEOctober 16, 2018
Business really picks up around the holidays and that is when you'll experience the most stress, work the most hours, and experience the highest turnover rate
Pros
free holiday lunches
Cons
open all but 3 days out of the year
Product education is available through study guides. Employees work together.
Merchandise / Brand Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 15, 2018
Employees work as a team to complete web-orders in a timely fashion to satisfy customer needs. Education is available through tasting classes and binder material.
A great place to work among sales associates who have product knowledge.
Pros
Education and good management
Cons
Lunch time not long enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight