Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

Sometimes fun but more direction needed.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 11, 2018
Communication was a big factor here. Not enough was given and some was totally wrong. Jobs were not given to those who knew what was to be accomplished in a correct and timely manner. Never enough time to finish one task before given another one to start.
Pros
Snacks for breaks. Supplied shirts.
Great people
Wine Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 8, 2018
the truly successful people are some of the most hardworking and dedicated I have experienced in retail. They demonstrate daily an ability to drive results. Upper management did not always recognize and value the truly unique and talented employees and separate and reward them and remove the lesser performers.
Fast Paced
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 5, 2018
I loved working for Total Wine & More. Many times I miss working there. I feel I worked very hard for them and was not paid what I was worth. It had nothing to do with the management there it was more corporate policy and procedures.

Many things have changed there since I was employed. I at the time paid dearly for any health benefits and was a knew mother.

I did learn a lot about Wine, Beer and Spirits and that knowledge I would be able to take anywhere.
awesome job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 2, 2018
This job is awesome, it's also good when you don't have any work experience.
A typical day is looking in the playbook to see what area and what tasks you have for the say and they already have breaks scheduled in the play book. counted till, balanced till, assisted customers with scanning and bagging and processing mostly credit and debit and the occasional check deposits. Kept area clean and tidy, set up the station up for success for the next person and counted till and balanced till at the end of every shift along with reconciling the till and getting manager approval at the end of every shift. Swept area in the evening, printing labels, organizing boxes, setting up displays on non busy days. very easy. I learned about wines, spirits etc, they offer free classes to the employees if interested, you can bring a friend but they would have to pay for the class.

The work place culture is okay, can't complain.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining a work life balance outside of work that's it, and pleasing every guest.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the free work shirts they gave us, free beer, free alcohol every now and again, free food, co-workers, meeting nice new people, trying wine and making comments about it, free stuff and radio stations doing give aways and such.
Pros
free lunches on busy days, discounts, trying wine and spirits, taking home a free bottle of wine every now and again
Cons
no growth
Fast-paced, but fairly enjoyable atmosphere
FRONT END TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 26, 2018
My position was that of a cashier, so the job was exactly what one would expect. We were well-staffed and had a big team to work with, so the job was not as difficult as my experiences in other places. The management was very kind to me, and I hardly had any issues with customers as most of them were straightforward with what they wanted. It was quick-paced, so one should definitely be ready to move around and keep up with potentially lengthy lines during the holidays.
Good Starting Job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNSeptember 25, 2018
A good place if you can get past the passive aggressive general manager. Other management is decent. Turn over is huge so you're always short staffed and running around like crazy. getting 50 projects handed to you at once that they want finished at the sane time, then getting scolded because something didn't get done. It's job, but a stressful one.
Great plsce to work.
Wine Consultant (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 24, 2018
Company encourages career learning. The support given by leadership is excellent. I would highly recommend this company. For career candidates the company provides travel to wine regions around the world.
Pros
wine and beer education.
It was a great place to work friendly coworks
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmington DESeptember 22, 2018
I would highly recommend anyone to work here. They were great. Co-workers were very friendly and the management work very well with others and if there was a problem they were fast to help you fix it.
Pros
Winning free bottles of wines and 25% off
Cons
30 min break should be longer
Great place to work but poor management
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXSeptember 15, 2018
I enjoyed working there. I liked the other employees and enjoyed engaging with customers. However, the poor management trickled down and made many employees unhappy.
Great place to work and very exciting and fast paced.
Floor and Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 13, 2018
Need a better balance of work and home life. Great benefits package and employee discounts. Always fun and crwative ideas for product launches and new item releases.
Pros
30% wine discount
Cons
No room for advancement
Great company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 12, 2018
Great company very vested in training its associates to provide the best customer service possible. Well compensated to complete training modules. Small box retailer unfortunately trying to become big box.
Pros
Good insentives
Cons
Long hours and very little wk life balance
Very fun and comfortable.
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 6, 2018
Total Wine is a so low key environment. Management is understanding and caring.
There is a wonderful home work life balance and the benefits are outstanding.
Job load/Safety/Pay
Front-End Team Member (PT) (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 3, 2018
When it is expressed that a person does not have medical, don't give them a workload that may cause harm. Training was ok. Fun time of year to work there.
Pros
Informative with beverage and its product promotions
Cons
Management was not very empathetic to its employees when it came to their safety.
Fun place to work depending on your job title
Wine Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 29, 2018
Total wine is a great place to work if you have an interest in wine, beer, or spirits. They really do invest in the knowledge of their employees. There are programs in place like Wine for life and Beer for life that allow you to take home free product to try and taste to better assist customers. there are wine classes once a month that are free for employees to attend, I personally taught all of the wine and spirits classes at my location. As a regular cashier, associate, or merchandiser the job was fun and easy; however, supervisors and managers work three times as hard for what I believe should be a lot more money. very high volume, hard work, and high goal and metric projections
Pros
Team engagement, Advancement opportunity, Benefits, Free wine education trips all over the world
Cons
Short breaks, 50 hour work weeks, and low pay
Total wine review
MERCHANDISER/BEER ASSOCIATE, TOTAL WINE AND MORE (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 29, 2018
I learned a lot about craft beer, spirits and wine in the time that I worked for the company. A typical day for me consisted of helping customers make an informed decision on beers or some spirits.
Pros
great management, fun products to work with and fun work place
Cons
poor scheduling
Not good
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 29, 2018
Reason for leaving was the upper management was terrible.did not have to operate the way they did..in store management was great..had a great team..upper management destroyed it.
Fast paced, fun at times, underpaid
Retail Sales Associate (Service Team Member) (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 24, 2018
This is not a bad place to work, but like most jobs in Charleston, SC, it is an underpaying job. You are worked to the bone in all departments, but given a song and dance why you they can't put in for more of a pay increase. I believe the one unscheduled pay increase I received was only to keep me quiet and they thought that would appease me, all my opinion. However, I am here looking for better paying, more fulfilling job that will be a career. The benefits are excellent, discounts too. The reason I have stayed here for so long is my co workers and the actual store managers are great. I know the managers at the store level can't increase my pay to my desires; they can only request.
Pros
discounts, co workers
Cons
short break lunch break, pay, scheduling
Unsafe place to work
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEAugust 24, 2018
Several people have gotten injured here, not from falls or accidents, but from repetitive stress injuries. Shoulders, backs, ankles, knees—people have gotten serious injuries from being overworked. $90 million store, but they run a skeleton crew because they are so cheap. Of course that’s only the merchandise crew. The sales associates stand around all day and chit chat or look at their cell phones. I’m sure they would rate the job highly as they get paid to help a couple of customers and then stand there and wait around for most of their day. There is no promotion from within. Not a single manager there was promoted to the position. They don’t learn the job either, so most employees are more competent than the managers are. The owners are brilliant businessmen who created a highly successful company, but it has grown so large they no longer pay close attention to the day-to-day of the individual stores, so the store managers and district managers run the show, and they aren’t competent.
Pros
Overtime, some positions require little work
Cons
Overworked, poor pay rate, incompetent managers, no chance at promotion
Quick paced and busy on the holidays!
Wine Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDAugust 22, 2018
You do not have a set schedule, so you never know when you will be working week to week, making scheduling appointments or other family things difficult. You will also have to be there at least one morning a week at 5 am to stock the shelves before opening. You also need to like talking to people, because it is all about selling them the most expensive botttle in their price range they are looking for. Great coworkers!
Pros
Great coworkers, you taste all the products
Cons
Super busy and very impatient customers sometimes
Not enough pay for the physical labor your intended to do.
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 21, 2018
You can not afford any cost of living with this job not living in the commenwealth of VA. Every store is different but they expect that you can work a 10-12 hour shift with a 30min break, break down pallettes when the delivery of our wine products get there sometimes you're doing it by yourself. Not really a team building experience, they take advantage of those they know can get work done but allow others to slack off or do nothing just because they have wine knowledge which is unfair. There is just no team, everyone for themselves. Which is why most of the people who work there are 35+ in age and that is their career but for others they try to hire younger in age they find out quick this is not a job to grow in and to go move to find better jobs or opportunities in life. Selling wine is not unless you're going to school to become a wine sommelier. They don't care about the employees who work in the store only the people who work in their cooperate offices.
Pros
The knowledge and discounts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss