TOUGALOO COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Very Relaxed Place To Work
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSAugust 5, 2018
Very relaxed and great environment. The most fun part of the job is the students being intuitive and learning advancement. The hardest part is low pay and limited benefits for family members.
Office Manager for the Department of Information Technology
Office Manager, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 29, 2018
Working with students has always been a joy! Providing administrative support to the Director of IT, preparing requisitions, maintaining purchasing budget for various departments campus wide and updating the Standard Operating Procedures directive were just a few of the daily duties, alongside assigning work study students to various duties.
Pros
Student Affairs and Program Activities
Cons
I worked in the divsion of mathematics.
Mathematics Tutor/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSSeptember 23, 2018
I tutored college freshman in their studies. I assisted with questions, issues or concerns they may have in reference to their math assignments. This also helped most of them with their transition to college life. I learned a lot of students had never taken college courses whereas they only met a couple of days a weeks.
Professor
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSAugust 10, 2018
Workplace culture was supportive and professional growth encouraged so that professors could support student needs. Students were appreciative of advice and direction given them.
Director - Sponsored Programs and Research (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 26, 2018
Great place to work. I've had the opportunity to work with some great people here. I've acquired a number of skills here that I am very grateful for. Again, this is a great place to work.
Financial Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 30, 2018
no review for this company as I do not wish to participate. The reason is solely for my purpose . I do not wish to particpate in this survey at all. Please
Fun loving atmosphere
Upward Bound II Program Senior Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSMay 30, 2014
A typical day consist of program management, budget management, meetings and the most difficult parts of the job is reports, deadlines, and recruiting.
Pros
Breaks and benefits
Cons
Job Work and Life Balance during summer hours with no additional paid benefits
Very Cut throat
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tougaloo, MsMarch 14, 2018
Director very messy and juvenile. Always pitting employees against one another. Created a bullying and hostile enviorment. Writing and suspending staff if youre one minute late and treating staff as if its a military enviorment.
Low wages and administration disconnected
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSOctober 7, 2015
Starting wage was low and no raises in 5 years. Manager was a tyrant and has poor social skills. Manager didn't treat everyone equally.
Pros
Holiday break
Cons
Pay, Intimidating, Toxic Environment
Very relaxed and fun job.
Educational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSNovember 7, 2017
Very good job if you like working with or around students. It was always interested and lots of activities going on at the college campus. The environment was always educationally focused.
Pros
College campus and lots of activities
Student Affairs
Student Affairs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tougaloo, MS 39174October 12, 2017
-Answered Phones
-Assist with mail retrieval and delivery
-Keep the paperwork in proper order
-Assist supervisor to complete projects
It was a great experience because I got to learn how to work in a office environment. It helped me stay up beat with everything, and I was doing wit for college credits
No Comment
Director of Procurement and Property Control (Former Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSOctober 25, 2017
No Comment... I have no comment in reference to my employment at Tougaloo College. I worked there for sixteen years, under the supervision of four supervisors, but the last one was quite difficult to work for.
A great place to meet students where they are and provide assistance/guidance that could be life changing
Vice President for Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSFebruary 7, 2017
Tougaloo College is a great place to learn and work. It provide an opportunity to serve young people from all walks of life. Tougaloo help students to explore careers with a responsibility to give back to communities .
Pros
Provide an opportunity for students to explor self and others
Cons
resource limitations
fast paced
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSOctober 10, 2017
Worked with college students daily. It was a fun task. I think that I helped my students make some of the greatest decisions of their lives... hopefully
Pros
health care
Cons
contract position
Provided a new opportunity to work in the higher education environment.
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSJanuary 10, 2013
Was hired to review and update the existing Human Resource organization and office structure with the assistance of one part-time staff person which I hired. A major task was to organize and update employee files and accounts, to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations,and implement new policies and procedures, if needed. Another critical task was implementation of the new Department of Labor guidelines pertaining to the classification of Administrative Assistants, which included faciltating training and file review within each department. Each day provided a new and rewarding opportunity.
Pros
opportunity to work in the higher education setting.
Cons
limited support staff for the about of work to be performed.
what you learned
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSMay 24, 2017
Work hard and learn what you can. Stay to yourself mind your own business. And only share information when absolutely necessary. Don't be buddy buddy with anybody,
Great close knit work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 18, 2017
Always able to answer student questions and concerns. Staff responds to concerns promptly and are very personable with students. Would recommend this at home work environment.
Teacher/Staff Aid (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 30, 2015
I worked here while I was in as a teacher assistant. I was a great experience during my matriculation through college. If you get a job here you are promised a lasting career.
Fast paced and timely
Senior Admissions Counselor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 17, 2013
-Travel 80%
-Friendly attitude
-Optimistic
-Microsoft Office knowledgable
-Flexible
Pros
Helping students obtain a college education, travel, networking, company car, lodging/food credit.
Cons
Lack of innovative technology.
Tougaloo Office of Records
Work Study Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tougaloo, MSOctober 1, 2012
It was a fun and productive environment that allowed me to give excellent customer service to my customers and fellow peers. On a typical day I would file folders and papers and also answer the phone for people who requested transcripts.
Pros
always in the express lane during registration, get transcripts for free, and long break periods
Cons
n/a