Toward Independence, Inc. Employee Reviews

The Job is great / Company sucks
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHOctober 21, 2018
I worked at TI for several years I was a DSP, a Program Supervisor, & a case worker. The Job definitely has room for growth & you can always make money because they are always under staffed so your overtime will be lovely. There is no room for Family / Job Balance. & When you do go to HR with complaints or like myself go to the CEO Directly you still never get answers or actions because they have their “ picks “ I miss nothing about the company other than my clients. I Truly wish they were shut down they lie and offer you things that are never fallen threw & Im not bitter or mad because I gave a 2 weeks notice and left on my own. If you are single and have no life or kids or care too this is the perfect company for you! an HR is racist! and have many open cases for discrimination RUN!
Pros
Clients are great / Over time
Cons
Management / HR / under staffed
October 23, 2018

Toward Independence strives extremely hard to provide the best support possible to all the individuals we serve. Any neglect, abuse or mistreatment of the individuals that is reported is investigated both internally and the county board.

Toward Independence is a proud equal opportunity employer with a diverse work force.

HR is always available to be contact with any concerns that need to be addressed and work closely with Supervisors and Directors to ensure a timely resolution .

Beware of working this company
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  xenia ohioOctober 21, 2018
Ive been here 3 years and I left on my own. I worked in several homes and they can never keep supervisors, they tell you they will have someone to relieve you and they never come. That treat you like you dont matter and the pay is horrible for all the work you put into the company. The people that they hire to work in MONTGOMERY county are horrible and a lot of them come in with really nasty attitudes. PLEASE FIND ANOTHER COMPANY TO WORK FOR, this company is not what they make it seem and they treat their clients poorly. I feel bad for these clients.
Pros
Unlimited Overtime
Cons
Stuck at work, a lot of conflict, supervisors take advantage of the workers
October 23, 2018

Toward Independence tries extremely hard to screen people with poor attitudes out during the screening and Interviewing process Unfortunately some people do make it past this process due to good interviewing skills . If you ever felt uncomfortable in your work environment i wish you would have contacted HR so we could address this .

We have a lot of tenured supervisors ranging from 10 years to 20 years with the company.

Again thank you for the feedback as we can use this to become the best we can we .

You will grow here
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHOctober 18, 2018
Ignore the negative reviews,they are just sour grapes of people who were let go.You are appreciated here.The work can be challenging but is rewarding.
Pros
Great benefits, clients are awesome
Cons
Pay
October 23, 2018

Thank you for all the positive feedback and for all your hard work providing support for the Individuals .

Poor pay for the work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  OHSeptember 23, 2018
The pay they offer is not "competitive". One second on Indeed looking at jobs of the exact same role will tell you that. And it's true that you get what you pay for. They'll hire anyone off the street willing to literally take care of other human beings for fast food wages. You can imagine they're not attracting anywhere near the best type of workers. If you're in desperate need of a guaranteed paycheck but have no experience this is your temporary place. If you have experience in this field then take two more seconds to look elsewhere, plenty of companys that'll actually pay more for the exact same work and they'll treat you much better.
Pros
Get a paycheck
Cons
Possibly get physically assaulted by violent clients for barely Chick-fil-A wage
October 23, 2018

Working for Toward Independence is an extremely rewarding job that is not for everyone. We make a difference everyday to people with Developmental and Intellectual disabilities, Some of these individuals do have behavior support plans that when followed reduce and sometimes completely stop behaviors from happening .

Our rate of pay is competitive in this filed as all funding comes directly from Medicaid. We have tried to get additional funding from the state for all DSP's across Ohio for the amazing jobs that they do .

poor managment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHAugust 30, 2018
You will only advance if your of " color" or sleeping with the director. Director offers bonus's for working over, then never follows thru. Don't waste your time with place.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
September 17, 2018

Toward Independence is equal opportunists employer. We do take comments like this very seriously and we will be looking into your concenrs. I really wish this was something that you had brought up with our HR team so we could ensure that you did not feel like mistreated in any way .

Please feel free to reach out to us at anytime if you would like to discuss this further.

We do offer staff intensives for everything they do, we recently had a whole week of staff appreciation events throughout the company . Some of these pictures can be seen on our social media pages .

Management Needs to be more involved
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHJuly 30, 2018
The supervisors put all the work onto the DSP workers. You will be worked to death and paid very little. Its not a place you will want to stay at long
August 2, 2018

I am sorry you felt like your manager did not support you. I really wish you would have contacted HR so we could have looked into any concerns you might have had .

Enriching Lives
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 28, 2018
Working at Toward Independence provides an opportunity to enrich the lives of individuals with disabilities by providing them with supports and structure they need to thrive in the communities where they live.

Typical days include providing supervision for them to help them achieve their personal goals, spending time doing recreational activities in the community and transportation to wherever they need to go.

Management stays involved and helpful to provide staff with the skills they need to help meet the company's obligation to honor Individual Service Plans (ISPs) made with the each individual.

Management stays actively involved, but isn't too direct. Always there to lend a hand, but also hold DSPs and individuals being served accountable for their progress, performance and commitments. Co-workers come from various different walks of life .Skill and commitment levels vary, but most attempt to stay competent.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with negative behaviors of individuals being served, while the most enjoyable part is working to make a difference in the lives of adults with disabilities in the local community and helping them stay safe and involved as much as possible.
Pros
Individuals being served.
Cons
Lack of commitment from all staff.

Don’t bother
Home administer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 23, 2018
I worked for TI for no more than 8 months. I was hired as a Home Supervisor. Working as a supervisor your expected to handle everything with very little help. I soon realized the pay wasn’t worth what is expected. I work over 20hrs. straight. (very illegal). Manager didn’t care just said handle it. DSP do whatever they want, high turnover rate. So that leaves the Home Supervisor to pick up all open shifts. The only good is the individuals served and the company vehicles. It you love this field go to another company who supports staff and pays more. Don’t waste your time with Toward Independence. Run Away.....
Pros
Individuals served, company vehicles
Cons
Higher management, pay, lack of support, not enough DSP’s.
February 19, 2018

We strive to make our staff feel appreciated for the amazing jobs they do in providing quality care to the Individuals.I am sorry you felt like your manager did not support you. I really wish you would have contacted HR so we can look into any concerns you might have had .

Cut throat
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 4, 2018
Backstabbers in abundance. Beware. Poor management. Insincere, conniving, plotting coworkers and management. No true appreciation for staff. Low wages.
Pros
Clients served
February 19, 2018

I am sorry you felt like you were back stabbed by fellow employees , HR is always here to assist with any concerns employees may have with each other .

We do appreciate all of our employees and the support that they provide for the Individuals. We hold an annual event to show just how much really do appreciate our staff and also have ongoing events and recognition awards throughout the year.

Excellent company to work for
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 1, 2017
Toward Independence cares strongly for the people they serve and the staff who provide services to their clients. This is a strong company with strong leadership and an unwavering commitment to caring for their individuals. The company has a high standards and gets excellent reviews from their state Licensure surveys.
Pros
Strong leadership, stable company, committed to clients
Cons
Horrible compamy to work for.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 24, 2017
I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company. Management are bullies, they speak negatively about the employees, the pay is horrible and they care nothing about the employees. Seek employment else where. It's a low life bottom shelf company. Be afraid, be very afaid. The homes are like nursing homes.
November 27, 2017

We appreciate any and all feedback in regards to employment with TI and Individuals we serve . In regards to pay we offer competitive wages for this field .

I am sorry you felt like management bullied you I really wish you would have contacted HR so we can look into any concerns you might have had .

We do appreciate all of our employees and the support that they provide for the Individuals . We recently held our staff appreciation event to show how much we really do appreciate out staff. Photo's of this can be seen on our Facebook page .

Again thank you for you feedback

Making a Difference
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHNovember 16, 2017
Working with individual's with Developmental Disabilities helping make a difference in their life and helping them achieve their goals .

Following each ISP ensuring all clients get the correct care and medication

The Individuals get excited when I come to work which make it easy to want to come to work.
Pros
The Clients
Rewarding and Fulfilling
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHNovember 16, 2017
At Toward Independence you are given the opportunity to make a difference in someones life. You have an opportunity to help someone else be successful while becoming successful yourself. I love what I do and have compassion for the people I work with.

In my opinion this job is not for everyone you have to understand that
whenever you work with people with disabilities there will be challenges. Its the good days that make all the difficult days worth while.

Toward Independence is Medicaid funded which means there is a cap on how much employees can earn . There are policy and procedures, to help deal with the bureaucracies that medicaid requires.
Pros
The Individuals I serve and getting to see them advance, grow and be succsessful
Challenging and Meaningful work
Director (Current Employee) –  OhioNovember 13, 2017
The work I do at TI affords me the luxury of laying my head down at night saying, "I did something that genuinely impacted someone's life in a positive way today."
Direct Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHMarch 9, 2014
Flexible company to work for. Great for students. Broad range of job duties. Must be patient to work with the clients.
I recomend the position
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHJune 16, 2012
It requires good parenting skills pretty much covers it.
Don't take anything for granted.
Make sure you understand your assignment.
Watch your own back document,document and Document.
All considered there is no down side to the position,if you enjoy giving of yourself.
Pros
work freedom
Cons
never enough healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toward Independence, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight