Toward Independence, Inc. Employee Reviews

it was bad
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHMarch 18, 2019
they were rude and inconsiderate no time off even fro emergencies. they let people steal from clients and brush it under the rug. they were carelss they should not be aloud to have those positions
Towards Independence
Daily activity planner (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OH 45385March 6, 2019
I learned a lot at Towards Independence. I was working here during college and they worked with my schedule. I loved my co-workers here. It was a relaxed environment and everyone was knowledgeable.
Working with the individuals was why i stayed so long, if that got rid of the nasty acting management,i would have stayed
DSP (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 29, 2018
I loved my job. I never wanted to leave my clients EVER. But the management will never have your back if you tell them horrible situations that you have witnessed. If I Had A got lawyer I would sue TI!!! THEY HIRE LAZY STAFF WHO JUST WANTS A PAY CHECK.. They run the good people away, and keep the lazy people.FYI You'll Keep Your Job Without Any Problems if you keep your mouth shut, and ignore neglect from staff and management. If not, you'll always have a target on you back. I've witness supervisors going into homes without clients There cooking THEIR OWN LUNCHES. MISAPPROPRIATION OF FUNDS. (Management) Hire their own family members and they are the ones who climb the ladder the fastest.
Pros
End of the year bonuses
Cons
Horrible Management
January 17, 2019

We appreciate any and all feedback in regards to employment with TI and Individuals we serve .

I am sorry you felt like your manager did not support you. I am also sad to hear that some of you co-workers were lazy. Anything like this needs to brought to the attention of HR so we can take action .

great job horrible pay
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHNovember 11, 2018
the job itself is rewarding, there is nothing like helping out those in need. However don't expect to support a family on the income. The yearly raises are jokes. The supervisors are inflexible with changes needed in the schedule, and are unappreciative of all the extra work you put in. They really couldn't care if you stayed or quit..
Pros
the clients
Cons
the pay, the supervisors
January 17, 2019

Working for Toward Independence is an extremely rewarding job that is not for everyone. We make a difference everyday to people with Developmental and Intellectual disabilities.

Our rate of pay is competitive in this filed as all funding comes directly from Medicaid. We continue to try and get additional funding from the state for all DSP's across Ohio for the amazing jobs that they do.

Was okay to work for
CNA Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHOctober 22, 2018
Some individuals seemed more in it for the money than the clients. Some employees were taken advantage of multiple times on numerous occasions. Not all hire up individuals were horrible..
The Job is great / Company sucks
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHOctober 21, 2018
I worked at TI for several years I was a DSP, a Program Supervisor, & a case worker. The Job definitely has room for growth & you can always make money because they are always under staffed so your overtime will be lovely. There is no room for Family / Job Balance. & When you do go to HR with complaints or like myself go to the CEO Directly you still never get answers or actions because they have their “ picks “ I miss nothing about the company other than my clients. I Truly wish they were shut down they lie and offer you things that are never fallen threw & Im not bitter or mad because I gave a 2 weeks notice and left on my own. If you are single and have no life or kids or care too this is the perfect company for you! an HR is racist! and have many open cases for discrimination RUN!
Pros
Clients are great / Over time
Cons
Management / HR / under staffed
October 23, 2018

Toward Independence strives extremely hard to provide the best support possible to all the individuals we serve. Any neglect, abuse or mistreatment of the individuals that is reported is investigated both internally and the county board.

Toward Independence is a proud equal opportunity employer with a diverse work force.

HR is always available to be contact with any concerns that need to be addressed and work closely with Supervisors and Directors to ensure a timely resolution .

Beware of working this company
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  xenia ohioOctober 21, 2018
Ive been here 3 years and I left on my own. I worked in several homes and they can never keep supervisors, they tell you they will have someone to relieve you and they never come. That treat you like you dont matter and the pay is horrible for all the work you put into the company. The people that they hire to work in MONTGOMERY county are horrible and a lot of them come in with really nasty attitudes. PLEASE FIND ANOTHER COMPANY TO WORK FOR, this company is not what they make it seem and they treat their clients poorly. I feel bad for these clients.
Pros
Unlimited Overtime
Cons
Stuck at work, a lot of conflict, supervisors take advantage of the workers
October 23, 2018

Toward Independence tries extremely hard to screen people with poor attitudes out during the screening and Interviewing process Unfortunately some people do make it past this process due to good interviewing skills . If you ever felt uncomfortable in your work environment i wish you would have contacted HR so we could address this .

We have a lot of tenured supervisors ranging from 10 years to 20 years with the company.

Again thank you for the feedback as we can use this to become the best we can we .

You will grow here
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHOctober 18, 2018
Ignore the negative reviews,they are just sour grapes of people who were let go.You are appreciated here.The work can be challenging but is rewarding.
Pros
Great benefits, clients are awesome
Cons
Pay
October 23, 2018

Thank you for all the positive feedback and for all your hard work providing support for the Individuals .

Poor pay for the work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  OHSeptember 23, 2018
The pay they offer is not "competitive". One second on Indeed looking at jobs of the exact same role will tell you that. And it's true that you get what you pay for. They'll hire anyone off the street willing to literally take care of other human beings for fast food wages. You can imagine they're not attracting anywhere near the best type of workers. If you're in desperate need of a guaranteed paycheck but have no experience this is your temporary place. If you have experience in this field then take two more seconds to look elsewhere, plenty of companys that'll actually pay more for the exact same work and they'll treat you much better.
Pros
Get a paycheck
Cons
Possibly get physically assaulted by violent clients for barely Chick-fil-A wage
October 23, 2018

Working for Toward Independence is an extremely rewarding job that is not for everyone. We make a difference everyday to people with Developmental and Intellectual disabilities, Some of these individuals do have behavior support plans that when followed reduce and sometimes completely stop behaviors from happening .

Our rate of pay is competitive in this filed as all funding comes directly from Medicaid. We have tried to get additional funding from the state for all DSP's across Ohio for the amazing jobs that they do .

poor managment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHAugust 30, 2018
You will only advance if your of " color" or sleeping with the director. Director offers bonus's for working over, then never follows thru. Don't waste your time with place.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
September 17, 2018

Toward Independence is equal opportunists employer. We do take comments like this very seriously and we will be looking into your concenrs. I really wish this was something that you had brought up with our HR team so we could ensure that you did not feel like mistreated in any way .

Please feel free to reach out to us at anytime if you would like to discuss this further.

We do offer staff intensives for everything they do, we recently had a whole week of staff appreciation events throughout the company . Some of these pictures can be seen on our social media pages .

overall rewarding
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHAugust 26, 2018
If you have a good heart and love to help people then this is the place for you! I loved working with the individuals and watching them grow and learn the things that were being taught to them. The pay was bad and some of the employees just didn't care, including the management team.
Management Needs to be more involved
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHJuly 30, 2018
The supervisors put all the work onto the DSP workers. You will be worked to death and paid very little. Its not a place you will want to stay at long
August 2, 2018

I am sorry you felt like your manager did not support you. I really wish you would have contacted HR so we could have looked into any concerns you might have had .

Overall
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHJune 11, 2018
A typical day at work was fine depending on which house you work in depends on your work load.
I learned more about the people I cared for and gave me a bigger insight on people to love.
Management is based on your independent house and my manger or supervisor was cool.
Again depends on your house based on the culture of the house but mine worked well. They all really love each other.
Really isnt a hard part.
Most enjoyable part is seeing the smile and joy on my clients faces.
Caring and compassionate for consumers
Care giver (Current Employee) –  Xenia, OHMay 21, 2018
Although staff is underpaid, the care and compassion this company gives to their consumers is above any thing that I’ve ever seen. They are quick to help with anything from providing transportation and homes to even financial help for the consumers. They pay for all of the staffs training as well.
Pros
Free raining
Cons
Under paid
Would be a bettter place with better employees
care not to say (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 21, 2018
employees have done what they want to do for years. They have no structure and run off new hires. They don't care about the clients just there to collect a pay check. The employees constantly complain about work they should be doing.
Pros
great clients
Cons
manager allows employs to do as they want
Enriching Lives
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 28, 2018
Working at Toward Independence provides an opportunity to enrich the lives of individuals with disabilities by providing them with supports and structure they need to thrive in the communities where they live.

Typical days include providing supervision for them to help them achieve their personal goals, spending time doing recreational activities in the community and transportation to wherever they need to go.

Management stays involved and helpful to provide staff with the skills they need to help meet the company's obligation to honor Individual Service Plans (ISPs) made with the each individual.

Management stays actively involved, but isn't too direct. Always there to lend a hand, but also hold DSPs and individuals being served accountable for their progress, performance and commitments. Co-workers come from various different walks of life .Skill and commitment levels vary, but most attempt to stay competent.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with negative behaviors of individuals being served, while the most enjoyable part is working to make a difference in the lives of adults with disabilities in the local community and helping them stay safe and involved as much as possible.
Pros
Individuals being served.
Cons
Lack of commitment from all staff.

Don’t bother
Home administer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 23, 2018
I worked for TI for no more than 8 months. I was hired as a Home Supervisor. Working as a supervisor your expected to handle everything with very little help. I soon realized the pay wasn’t worth what is expected. I work over 20hrs. straight. (very illegal). Manager didn’t care just said handle it. DSP do whatever they want, high turnover rate. So that leaves the Home Supervisor to pick up all open shifts. The only good is the individuals served and the company vehicles. It you love this field go to another company who supports staff and pays more. Don’t waste your time with Toward Independence. Run Away.....
Pros
Individuals served, company vehicles
Cons
Higher management, pay, lack of support, not enough DSP’s.
February 19, 2018

We strive to make our staff feel appreciated for the amazing jobs they do in providing quality care to the Individuals.I am sorry you felt like your manager did not support you. I really wish you would have contacted HR so we can look into any concerns you might have had .

Ditch diggers, backstabbing coworkers
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 16, 2018
Some of the most miserable, backstabbing, fake, ingenuine people you'll encounter in life. Management work together to undermine morale amongst staff. No point in reporting issues to upper management. Very devious people.
Pros
Clients are wonderful
Cons
Devious, underhanded supervisors and backstabbing DSPs.
Cut throat
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 4, 2018
Backstabbers in abundance. Beware. Poor management. Insincere, conniving, plotting coworkers and management. No true appreciation for staff. Low wages.
Pros
Clients served
February 19, 2018

I am sorry you felt like you were back stabbed by fellow employees , HR is always here to assist with any concerns employees may have with each other .

We do appreciate all of our employees and the support that they provide for the Individuals. We hold an annual event to show just how much really do appreciate our staff and also have ongoing events and recognition awards throughout the year.

Excellent company to work for
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 1, 2017
Toward Independence cares strongly for the people they serve and the staff who provide services to their clients. This is a strong company with strong leadership and an unwavering commitment to caring for their individuals. The company has a high standards and gets excellent reviews from their state Licensure surveys.
Pros
Strong leadership, stable company, committed to clients
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toward Independence, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Toward Independence, Inc. Reviews by Location