Tower Engineering Professionals Employee Reviews

Too much Travel and Such a dangerous job for the money
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 23, 2019
So if you sign up for the TIA division just know the manager is incompetent and does not care about the well being of his employees. The company has to change something soon. This job is inherently dangerous and the pay is not worth it.
Great starting job
Designer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 17, 2019
TEP is a fantastic starting job for someone fresh out of school. The downside to TEP is that they don't offer competitive compensation and it takes years of time and effort there to move up substantially. Work/life balance there is fantastic and it can be a great transition into a 9-5 world.
Incredible Management and HR Staff
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 5, 2019
Tower Engineering Professionals (TEP) has by far the greatest work environment I've been a part of. The company as a whole is extremely productive and that really rubs off on a singular level. This company houses some of the most ethical and quality individuals and cares about the work as well as the clients. The team atmosphere is very rewarding. The pay is competitive. The main office is state of the art with a raw feel. The company is pro-physical health and has an amazing gym. There is a community aspect that makes you want to stick around for the end-of-week get together meals and activities. The management staff are family oriented and do a solid job of inclusion. The HR staff does the impossible when it comes to keeping a relaxed feel while protecting employee rights and well-being. It would not be a bad thing by any means if I end up back together with this company.
Pros
Great travel benefits, positive inclusion atmosphere, family oriented, health and wellness benefits
Cons
You can find a negative in anything, I think this company does a great job at all aspects I was involved in
Insulting compensation without growth
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 28, 2019
Pay is extremely low for engineering, pre-existing managers are given all the growth with no chance of advancement for others. Pay "increases" are insulting and despite surpassing production goals pay remained stagnant. It is now apparent the company has no intention to compensate competitively but instead to create a rapid training process to quickly replace any employees that leave the company to be paid adequately for engineering work.
That being said I enjoyed the work and the people I worked with but enjoyment does not pay bills.
Pros
Gym and ping pong table on site
Cons
Managers do not advocate for good employees
Great work environment
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 6, 2018
I really enjoyed the environment and most of the people I worked with at Tower Engineering. However, there always seemed to be something dramatic happening and many of the employees were unhappy. The owners are great people and work closely with the employees, which I thought was great. It's not something you see very often. I left TEP because I was told that I had already gone as far as I could go, and I only managed a small department. I wanted to grow with the company and after 6.5 years with the company, they didn't even counter offer me when I left. They made no attempts to keep me even though I'd been a good and loyal employee. It's an incredible company, especially for people starting out in their career, but it's more of a stepping stone and not really a stopping point.
Pros
Relaxed environment, flexible schedule, ability to work remotely, relaxed dress code, Pto
Cons
Healthcare, lack of ability to grow within the company
Soulless, dumpster fire of a company
Minion (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 10, 2018
No training. No meaningful guidance/mentoring from bro manager or grim faced, unspeaking project manager. I was nothing but affable with coworkers. Didn't matter.

If it's here or the street. Then here til you can do better.
Pros
Will get back to you on that
Cons
They feast on the unfathomable sadness of your tears
You can always find BETTER
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 4, 2018
In the interview, they make it sound like a good company but in reality they are VERY disorganized and unprepared for the growth they are experiencing.
Management is horrible instead of coming to you face to face they tend to be keyboard gangster's.
Pay is low, they promise a 90 day review with a possible pay increase...Never happens for many.
Cons
Over worked, low pay, management is horrible, no real room for advancement
Nice Work Environment
Summer Intern, Inspection Division (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 11, 2018
People are very nice and helpful. It is fun to work there, and has a friendly environment. The office is not very big and there must be a maximum of 30 people.
It was an OKAY job to start
Engineering associate (civil and structural) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2018
in the interview you were told you would have opportunities to grow and learn new things, get certified, and trained. None of those things happened. My original manager in civil was a joke, zero management skills, out off a slightly sexist vibe, didn't care about you or what you are looking to do, just needs robots to do the enormous amount of work he promised clients. There was never another position or a promotion to look forward to. Being a remote office, we were treated like we didn't help bring in money for the company. Examples: the main office would have lunches, celebrate birthdays, and have a sense of community. That never happened in Denver. The benefits are decent and the flexibility is nice, but in my opinion it is not somewhere to think you will make a career out of it. The core people that started the company are greatly benefiting from the growth in industry but the low man, is the low man and there is no need to replace the hire ups since they are all so young also.
Pros
super lax dress, flex hours (make your 40 and leave if you have nothing else)
Cons
management sucks, wont be treated well, no sense of community
It's fun to work here like its fun to go to the circus
Engineering Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 15, 2018
Super poorly managed. Expect to work 60+ hours a week if you're in the field with no extra bonuses or raise. They will overwork you, but you get to travel a lot and see a lot. Would recommend as a 6 month job straight out of college until you get a real job.
Pros
Paid travel, food.
Cons
Low pay, overworked
Not bad for a first job
Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2018
If you're a fresh graduate, this place is not a bad option, but if you have some experience, just know that you will be overworked, and poorly compensated.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2018
This is a great company to work at. Leadership was able to provide you the right tools to be successful. The job was secure as long as you were down to travel and climb, everyday. Benefits was great. Hardest part of the job was having a set schedule/ work life balance. As a project manager, I worked well over 55-60 hours a week, with little to no bonus.
non productive
Technician (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCDecember 13, 2017
Not a great working environment. Company is completely concerned with making profit and not too much about their employees. Compensation for the amount and type of work is not good.
Pros
1 hour lunchs are paid. you can play video games and wear whatever you want to work.
Cons
Unprofessional, negative work environment, Managers are withdrawn.
ok workplace if you like to climb stuff
Engineering Associate, Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Thornton, CONovember 9, 2017
people are great, however do not work here if you do not like to climb or do not like to travel a lot. About 50/50 office work and field work. not a bad first job
Pros
pto
Cons
schedule changes at the last minute
Company stays true to itself
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 1, 2017
Tower has an employee-driven culture. Management cares about the experience an employee has and wants to be the company of choice in the area. Very unique environment, employees are hard-charging and have a lot of flexibility and fun at the same time. Regular employee appreciation events, onsite gym, ping pong, video games, relaxed coworkers. Opportunities for advancement are good if you stick with it, several VPs started out as interns and worked their way up. Very rarely hires management from outside the company, most managers and above have been promoted into those positions.
Pros
Relaxed environment, friendly coworkers, onsite gym and activities, hands on management
Cons
Travel can be extensive at times, feedback from managers is not frequent enough
Hard work, long hours, low pay
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Inspections DepartmentJune 6, 2017
Nobody will say anything about overtime in the job interview, but you will be expected to work over 60 hours a week in the field. Nobody in the department has seen a real raise in over 3 years. Bonuses are jokes. There is no room for advancement because the company can't hold onto any decent new hires. The company will constantly switch employees between hourly and salaried, and will frame it as a raise every time but you will never make more money (sometimes, you'll make way less).

Getting to travel is cool at first, seeing so much of the country. It wears very quickly, since all the travel is planned entirely last-second (it is not uncommon to get assigned field work and book flights the day of departure). The company basically owns you Monday-Friday, and expects you to work every waking minute. You will never have any free time to do anything cool in any of the places you will go. All you will see is towers, cheap hotels (you won't get your own room, you will share hotel rooms with your coworkers), and the insides of your eyelids.

There is virtually no supervision or training. If you're smart, you'll get through it, learning as you go. If not, you will not be an effective employee and they will let you go.
Fun Job
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 2, 2017
Climb towers and get paid to do it. A rewarding job if you don't mind a great deal of travel. Management can be a bit hard headed. The pay is fair and the PTO is quite adequate.
Over worked, under paid, trial by error
Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2017
A typical week at work begins with planning your travel on Monday. Depending on how busy the company is that week will determine how many inspection sites you have that week and how long you are traveling for. If you are efficient with you work you can get back home and work the remaining days of the week from the office. However, due to all the travel you typically work over 40 hours a week. I average between 45-50 hours a week and do not get paid over time.
When I joined this company I instantly went out into the field without any training. I learned how to do the job by trial and error. They would tell you to complete this task then after they would say you did this and this wrong.
The management is very laid back. They like to have a good time and are really friendly.
The co-workers here are very nice and get along very well. You have to get a long because you spend and entire week with whoever you are partnered with to do the inspections with. This is random and switches regularly.
The hardest part of the job is having to climb in the cold weather and constantly traveling.
The best part of this job is you get to keep all your travel rewards collected while on the job and you get to go all over the east coast of the United States. Personally I really enjoy eating food from all the different parts of the United States.
Pros
Travel reward, (hotel, car rentals, airline), free breakfast lunch and dinner while traveling
Cons
Long weeks, Low pay, Cold/Bad weather
Relaxed Office Environment
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 14, 2016
Small pay, bonuses are a joke. Relaxed work environment, and flexible hours. When working in the field there is a lot of travel which is a big plus. Working in the office can be distracting and stressful.
Only accept if this is your last resort
Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 12, 2016
This company will do nothing to prepare you for any sort of career because management doesn't know how to manage people. Management only cares about their own personal well-being and doesn't care for the advancement or development of entry-level engineers. Pay is low and cubicle environment is boring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tower Engineering Professionals. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6