Town Sports International Employee Reviews

Only concerned with investors
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 11, 2018
TSI is only concerned with the numbers and how many sales and doesn't communicate when changes are made within the company. You are told to ask for a raise but when you do they deny and tell you that they are looking to make cuts and that this is not the time to be giving out raises. It is a cliché within the industry and those who work harder are put to a higher standard and are expected to do more to compensate for the managers who don't do their job.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no communication, no appreciation shown to staff/management
Stressful Enviroment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 24, 2018
During the time of working with TSI was the hardest. They took over the company I previously worked for said a bunch of promises and did not hold ups their end. They piled more work on you and paid management minimum wage salary while the managers working for TSI got paid a more substantial amount. The company forced more work on you that isn’t in your job description nor give you any training on it but a webinar. Everything else you have to do on your own. The company also have you work 12 hour days plus give up your weekends even though your hours are set for the days Monday-Friday. They consistently will lie in your face and plot to terminate you without a impending investigation or letting you know that you are at risk for losing your job. They believe every word of the member even if they are wrong. I will never work for TSI again even if I had a chance too. I honestly would not recommend this company to anyone. They have a high promotional rate and a high termination rate. As soon as you refuse to sell your soul they will cut you out !
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
12 hour days, not enough staff, not enough pay
Not for me
Management (Current Employee) –  LI, NYDecember 29, 2018
I liked the job until I realized how upper management can so easily cheat you out of commission with no real proof of why you won't be collecting commission when according to your reports generated by the company, you hit, but then they'll tell you the report was wrong and you actually did not hit your numbers and won't be receiving compensation. Mind you though, they won't even show you the report they have that supposedly shows otherwise. If you haven't already guessed, yes this happened to me.

If you're in management, say goodbye to work/home life balance. Mandatory conference calls every Saturday morning even though we are off? And expected to constantly answer work texts/emails … even when you are off. If you don't mind this then you will probably like this job. If you're like me and you work to live rather than live to work, most likely this is not for you.
Please don’t work here
Program Manager/APM/Club staff (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJ; Dobbs ferry NY; Ramsey NJAugust 20, 2018
Save yourself a lot of regret. This company will work you to death and hardly pay you. Sales staff grind harder than anyone and receive no encouragement or support from management. I worked in the club level as both staff and management. Poorly paid. When I hit my targets directors would say great now make us more money. Targets were based on previous years at first, then they switched it to being the same target per month to total for the year- unrealistic. They will promote from within but not raise your pay. No bonuses, not easy to request time off, nothing fun or encouraging for the staff as a whole to encourage team building or excitement to “improve lives through exercise”. Investors change over every single year and layoffs happen easily when company does poorly. They over-pay their corporate level employees who never come around to see how the clubs are doing. I could go on and on with everything wrong with this company- I honestly can’t believe they’re still in existence with how terrible they treat both staff and members. Please don’t even consider this place. Ever.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Salary, poor communication, staff treated horribly overall
What was once a great company is slowly declining
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 5, 2018
When I first worked at this company it was an exhilerating experience that taught me so much about sales and customer service. As time went on, management changed, promotional prices dropped and the company started to deteriorate. Attempting to deal with cooperate as an employee or member is a miserable experience. Cooperate allows management and employees to drown under the numerous issues not properly handled within the company. A big reason for me staying here for so long was the support of co-workers and the members using the facility. Cooperate should find better ways to properly invest in their clubs and provide better support for its employees.
Pros
Flexible hours, free gym membership
Cons
Short-staffed, no support from cooperate
Fun work experience
Welcome Team (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2018
Management was good, learn a lot in NYSC love my co workers and my supervisors, only problem with new york sports clubs is the pay and lack of career promotions.
Pros
Lunch, Co workers
Cons
benefits, lack of hours
Horrible work environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 16, 2019
I’ve been an employee for a little bit over 4 years now. Over those 4 years I been through a lot with this company such as management threatening to fire me while I’m admitted into a hospital/mom passing away and being touched inappropriately by another co worker. Co workers are horrible. They don’t give you a break. I was trying to get a transfer due to me moving and they gave me a hard time by not getting back. The other day I had to train my replacement and to find out today that last week was my last and my shifts are no longer my shifts. I don’t recommend working here.
Pros
Friendly members
Cons
Horrible management and Co workers
The worst company you can ever work for in your life!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2018
I actually worked here for the last 2 months and it was a great experience besides dealing with the hostile members complaining every 5 minutes. The members do have a right to complain since the place is falling apart and there has been no AC since the day I started. I would not recommend anyone to join this gym unless you want to be apart of the horrible members that are already there. The gym is horrible and the members are even worse. Stay away and please go join Blink across the street. The company is bleeding money and they use the General Manager's as temporary bandaids
Pros
Salary
Cons
Horrible company to work for & horible management!
Worst place I ever worked
LEAD SALES ASSOSIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2018
The company does not care about its employees or the clients. Will raise prices for existing clients without telling the employees at the very least but leave the employees to try and explain it. Tell us that we have great promotions to offer but will giver better promotions online to cut there own employee commissions. The staff that actually last and make it do not care about the clients which leads to a toxic work environment.
Not fun at all
Facilities / Equipment technician performing (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 28, 2018
Poor management, upper level managers treat employees like piece of garbage and always demand more and adding more jobs to your job description while their raise is only 1% the highest every 2 years
Pros
Some of the employees from front desk and housekeeper are very friendly
Cons
Everything related with management is bad
not the best place to work
Group Fitness instructor (Current Employee) –  Westchester, NYOctober 13, 2018
Very Disorganized low moral , no sense of urgency for members , not a clean club, no chance for advancement no qualified people in management . Not enough staff on duty.
Cons
no benefit
very corporate competitive management position
Fitness Manager - Master Trainer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 1, 2018
as a Fitness manager, you end up pushing reports, and authorizations and being micro-managed. Environment depends on upper management, which would push anyone under the bus to save face and look good for their upper management.
company cuts corners to save money for investors, from house keeping hours which shows in the lack of cleanliness, to the cheapest amenities, to the poor health insurance benefits (surprising for a "health" related company).
Most enjoyable part of the job was client and customer interaction.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
too many to list
It is a good place to start your career.
Manager of Operations and Sales (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2018
It is a fast pace job environment that it is not for everyone. Requires self motivation and meeting daily, weekly and monthly sales goals. The managers have to work on the weekends, usually one day. It is a good place to learn sales and management. A lot of complains from members about everything. (too hot, too cold, too quiet, too loud), be prepared.
Pros
Friendly and experienced staff.
Cons
Complains from members.
A productive day meeting new client, seting up new goals.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Englewood, NJJune 24, 2018
A typical day of work is teaching five classes and training five 1 to 1 clients. I have learned how to work with various types of personalities and create a plan for my clients to achieve their goals. In regards to management, I assist the front desk with clients that enter into the establishment and make sure the equipment is returned in its proper place after a workout. The hardest part of the job is when clients do not want to follow gym etiquette regarding the rules. I enjoy working with all types of people and assisting them in achieving their goals. It is exciting to see the different reactions when my clients realize that they have accomplished their set goals.
Pros
Meeting a diverse group of people.
Cons
Some clients are not motivated to complete their trainings.
Poor communication with upper brass. They demanded everything from you but gave you nothing in support. The clubs were run down.
GM (Former Employee) –  City HallApril 2, 2018
I would never recommend NYSC as a place to work. Your career can be damaged by unsubstantiated rumors. There is zero disconnect. I was expected to keep in touch with my club while on vacation, 18, 000 miles away. The clubs are run down, old and dated and the billing policies are borderline illegal.

They treat the staff like garbage, do not give raises and constantly change the bonus structure to make it harder to bonus.
Pros
None, it’s a job!
Cons
So many, just stay away
A Great 1rst Job
Marketing Event and Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAMay 14, 2018
I was a Party and Event Sales/ facilitator. I catered to the kids and family's who celebrated their Birthdays with us. I loved management , but was there for almost 10 yrs still getting underpaid . Yes the tips came across 20-30 bucks a time were great but not enough to live off of. Advancement? a joke, there is not advancement there at all because corporate is so cheap
Pros
Employees, Managment
Cons
Corporate, no advancement
productive and adventurous
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, NJAugust 23, 2018
This job requires immense patience and no personal schedule whatsoever. It's encouraged that you check your online work schedule every day, as it is subject to change that often as a part-time worker. Front desk hours can get competitive since most of applicants are vying for the job and there are 6-7 people with the position per club and almost no double coverage. The most enjoyable part of the job is the free membership to any club for exercising, and that's about it. They strictly mandate the hours and overtime is usually out of the question, as it's more paperwork for them to fill out and you, obviously, get paid more. Trying to cooperate with the Sales department in terms of members and guests coming in the door is a nightmare; they rarely fill out any of the guest forms themselves, everyone wants a free guest pass, and not everyone can get it. Some people get told that they can just come in for free, and that will contradict with what you're told during training and by any other Front Desk employee. It's an easy job if you don't mind customer service and dealing with the clientele brings in
Pros
Great company
Cons
Great company
loved it!
Front Desk Associate/Welcome Team (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYSeptember 4, 2018
if you love being at the gym, this is the place forr you. But you do need patients to work here. A LOT of patients. People can be very obnoxious and will drive you crazy but i have worked in 3 locations, there will always be a group of regulars that have your back and coworkers you will love
Pros
great working enviornment, decent compensation, free gym membership, discounted personal training, paid days off, etc
Cons
odd hours, worst customers, deal with lots of idiots, etc
Great co-workers, but higher ups don't care about their customers of employees
Senior Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 25, 2018
This is not a sit at your desk job. You have to hustle to make contacts and constantly be on the phone. At one time this job paid commission based on your hard work and sales. However when competitors came along instead of lowering prices in to compete or upkeep their locations they waited until everything was a disaster before making the move in the right direction
This company treats their customers horribly as well as their employees. They have a Don't Care attitude"
Pros
Great co-workers, Great customers
Cons
horrible salary
Horrible environment
Front Desk Manager & Welcome Team (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 7, 2018
The management their is awful, front desk position basically manages the gym and has hired no real sales people so front desk is also selling so it makes thing extra rough on the front desk people who are part time and we never get paid for those sales so it very frustrating.
Pros
Cons
Everything about working for management there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Town Sports International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight