Town Sports International Employee Reviews

It was just fine working there
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYJuly 15, 2018
It has its days where you want to help others. But some days you have to really search to find people we even care about the gym. Working hard on finding the right people is important.
Decent Career Path
Fitness Manager/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2018
NYSC was one of those jobs in which it was whatever you made it. I kept to my business plan and model to build clientele and train my clients. As long as I focused on this I was able to make my money and be in and out without drama on the job.
Pros
Own Ours
Cons
No Benefits
Personal Training for NY Sports Club
Personal Fitness Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
Personal Trainers get a very high commission in NY Sports Club. We got 50% of the fee they charge customers. The problem is the pay for trainers is a commission only, so if the trainer has no training clients, the trainer does not get paid anything.
Pros
High hourly pay
Cons
It's commission only
Mentor General Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 3, 2018
Fun and challenging work place. The more hours you work the more you'll succeed. You will run your own facility under guidance. The hardest part of the job is reaching the Goals monthly.
Not a fun job
Receptionist- Job (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2018
Only cool if you need a small on the side job and would like a free gym membership. Not enough money to be made, hours can be stressful, either too early or too late
Worst place I ever worked
LEAD SALES ASSOSIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2018
The company does not care about its employees or the clients. Will raise prices for existing clients without telling the employees at the very least but leave the employees to try and explain it. Tell us that we have great promotions to offer but will giver better promotions online to cut there own employee commissions. The staff that actually last and make it do not care about the clients which leads to a toxic work environment.
Cons
A productive day meeting new client, seting up new goals.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Englewood, NJJune 24, 2018
A typical day of work is teaching five classes and training five 1 to 1 clients. I have learned how to work with various types of personalities and create a plan for my clients to achieve their goals. In regards to management, I assist the front desk with clients that enter into the establishment and make sure the equipment is returned in its proper place after a workout. The hardest part of the job is when clients do not want to follow gym etiquette regarding the rules. I enjoy working with all types of people and assisting them in achieving their goals. It is exciting to see the different reactions when my clients realize that they have accomplished their set goals.
Pros
Meeting a diverse group of people.
Cons
Some clients are not motivated to complete their trainings.
Fun and productive
Front Desk Members Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2018
As a front desk personal I loved meeting new clients or seeing the usual clients that would come in daily. Great place to work and workout in.........
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
30 minute lunch break
The worst company you can ever work for in your life!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2018
I actually worked here for the last 2 months and it was a great experience besides dealing with the hostile members complaining every 5 minutes. The members do have a right to complain since the place is falling apart and there has been no AC since the day I started. I would not recommend anyone to join this gym unless you want to be apart of the horrible members that are already there. The gym is horrible and the members are even worse. Stay away and please go join Blink across the street. The company is bleeding money and they use the General Manager's as temporary bandaids
Pros
Salary
Cons
Horrible company to work for & horible management!
Hostile Work Environment
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2018
Management is very unprofessional and hostile. There are no opportunites to advance within company. The appearance of the health club was not highly important or members satisfaction.
Pros
Assitanting Management of Club, free memebership
Cons
Hostile Work Environment

Want to know more about Town Sports International?

Ask a question
Enjoyable corporate enviornment
Membership Consultant / Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 4, 2018
In a corporate setting it can often be hard to enjoy your time, but I was fortunate enough to be under some of the best management in the industry. We got the job done, but did it with a smile on our faces.
Not fun at all
Facilities / Equipment technician performing (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 28, 2018
Poor management, upper level managers treat employees like piece of garbage and always demand more and adding more jobs to your job description while their raise is only 1% the highest every 2 years
Pros
Some of the employees from front desk and housekeeper are very friendly
Cons
Everything related with management is bad
it literally sucks
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 24, 2018
a bunch of old instructor that management is holding onto der life meanwhile there re younger and hungry instructor who are just as educated but they pay us poorly. you basically have to wait until an instructor dies or gives up a class and wait until an email goes out for that class being available.

oh but it doesn't matter if the location that gets an opening, that you have subbed countless times for, and they have openly expressed their interest in you. management goes by whoever responds to the email first, and call it a day...
Sales Manager
Senior Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 23, 2018
Poorly run, club was often left in a mess once the GM left, employees were expected to run club, and assist members, while providing equipment maintenance too.
day at work
Head Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Englewood, NJMay 22, 2018
In the am shift I open the gym turn the lights on and pick up all the towels and garbage from the gym floor, turn the tv's and the music then turn the computer on to scan the members in, check the bathroom make sure everything is in order to start business.
Pros
you can use the gym for free
Cons
no raises, or overtime
Fun place to work
Personal Trainer/Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMay 15, 2018
NYSC is a fun place to work, most of the employees are college kids or young adults. Everyone there is nice ad its a chill environment. Management is not too organized though.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Bad Management
A Great 1rst Job
Marketing Event and Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAMay 14, 2018
I was a Party and Event Sales/ facilitator. I catered to the kids and family's who celebrated their Birthdays with us. I loved management , but was there for almost 10 yrs still getting underpaid . Yes the tips came across 20-30 bucks a time were great but not enough to live off of. Advancement? a joke, there is not advancement there at all because corporate is so cheap
Pros
Employees, Managment
Cons
Corporate, no advancement
Fun summer job
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Wellesley Hills, MAMay 10, 2018
Working at the Boston Sports Club can be difficult because of the poor management. Despite the challenges, it can be a fun work enviornment (mostly for the summer).
Boston Sports Club
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MAMay 10, 2018
Boston sports club was very accomadating and a good place to work. All of the managers were very helpful and always were very professional. I believe there were few occasions were management disagreed but not very often. All customers were very nice.
Very active and engaging environment
Sales and Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYMay 7, 2018
I was promoted after showing efficient capabilities in leadership and internal sales. Growing with this company was fun, different, and always challenging.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Town Sports International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight