Town Sports International Employee Reviews

Fun, fast paced environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 18, 2018
This is a job you can do while in high school or just to have some pocket change and it not hard work but requires you to be alert and attentive. Also enthusiastic and energetic.
Pros
Enjoyable, free memebership
Cons
Pay
Fun environment
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Plainsboro, NJNovember 10, 2018
Met many great people in this role. Fun gym environment and a great place to start your personal training journey. Hard to make a lot of money but great place to work
Great first lifeguarding job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MANovember 10, 2018
Great first job or first lifeguarding job. Over my two years the club's organization of the lifeguards improved, still work to be done. Little oversight or accountability.
Temporary First job
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYNovember 5, 2018
I learned a bunch but it was a temporary job as i was in school to advance myself in the workforce.it was very hard as someone who was part time to advance because the NY sports clubs has a merrit based payment plan based on the amount of clients you see a month. being that i was part time, i was on the lowest scale of payment.
unfair disbursement of potential clients
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Westchester, NYOctober 28, 2018
Just focused on sales and numbers. Lack of proper training. Favoritism between staff. Not a clean environment. too corporate. Needs a better vision for how fitness applies to the general population.
Pros
free membership
Cons
not equal in client leads
It was fun i loved it
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 25, 2018
I enjoyed working at the gym during that time it was A nice environment and that working with the staffs and the members was a good plan. If you into fitness and love to workout then this will be the best place for you.
Pros
Workingout
Cons
Didn't pay to well
not the best place to work
Group Fitness instructor (Current Employee) –  Westchester, NYOctober 13, 2018
Very Disorganized low moral , no sense of urgency for members , not a clean club, no chance for advancement no qualified people in management . Not enough staff on duty.
Cons
no benefit
overall experience was positive
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntington Station, NYOctober 11, 2018
Interactive with members and clients, creating relationships, healthy programs,assisting in resolving issues, team work, creativity selling,contracts.
Pros
Healthy, positive enviroment most of the time.
Cons
bathroom cleanliness
Great place to be everyone is like family
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 10, 2018
I miss working with everyone and the atmosphere was really nice. They have great standards and the managers and fellow staff are informative and helped with transitioning of new members
Pros
Great way to network
Constantly changing management. Petulant managers under qualified for there roles.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Great Neck, NYOctober 10, 2018
Don’t bother. No plan for success. Management has no plan. Equipment is old and needs replacement. Ever changing strategy. Over priced for what the company offers.
Pros
Cons
No training. No senior management direction
Lack of leadership
Mentor General Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2018
The company is reactive to whats going on around them with competitors verses being proactive . Communication is non existence via corporate and the clubs . Company is filled with favoritism. Hard work doesn't pay off its who likes you . More of a dictatorship verses a company where your opinions and business experience counts .
Pros
Cons
Too many to name
Good Company to Work for as an entry level
Welcome Team Member (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MASeptember 27, 2018
I worked in Westborough from November 2017 until the end of September 2018. While there, I was in charge of rolling towels, taking phone calls, and checking members into the club.
The job is very simplistic for someone like myself, being that I have a college degree. I took this job last year when I'd been unemployed and desperately looking for a job. When I saw the posting on Indeed, I jumped at it.
The club itself is very nice to work at and be inside of. It has a good membership crowd and people seem to care about the club and their fitness. Staff work out alongside members when not on duty.
I'll encourage anyone who's in high school (16+) or college to apply to work here, part time. However I would suggest that a college graduate not work here full time, as you will definitely not earn nearly enough money. I had interviewed for a membership consultant position at a different club in July, but unfortunately I had to withdraw candidacy because I found out that this other club fails to meet net member gain and the base rate is still $11.00 per hour. A person cannot be expected to do more work without any increased pay to go along with it. I also work weekends in another job which pays more money, and the hours for MC would have taken away from that.
You do get a free Elite membership which is nice to see other clubs. There is also 40 hours of PTO for full time staff that you use or loose by the end of the year. It's best to use it because you get more money.
Pros
guaranteed breaks, free memberships, decent benefits
Cons
hard to earn above minimum wage, strict managers
fun
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYSeptember 26, 2018
good environment great gyms but depending on who your manager is will make the job good or bad. a lot of the times you run out of people to all for sales and wind up calling and bothering the same people.
Pros
free membership
Cons
long hours, hard to cold call people for sales
Management is poor
Receptionist/Childcare Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
The company went downhill, management only cared about their own pocket and bad with taking care of members.Members complain about service and machines.
Pros
near home
Cons
management is horrible
I was the Sales manager
owner (Former Employee) –  498 7th Avenue N.Y.C.September 14, 2018
I participated in all phases of the manufacturing process from creating items to the finished product. I managed budgets and helped
sales in the US and overseas.
Great work environment
Total Woman Gym (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 13, 2018
The people I work with are GREAT. Everyone gets along, and the members are friendly. Everyone seems to know each other,and the management is great. Hardest part of the job be dealing with angry members, but love the work place environment.
Pros
company parties, open houses
Cons
no cons
Flexible job
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
Was happy to work for Town SPorts when I did. Massive organization so there is always space somewhere if you want a job. My position was not especially demanding.
Productive but poor management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Marlboro, NJSeptember 11, 2018
A typical day either ran slow and smooth or completely disorganized chaos.
There was always disorganization due to poor management, but the job was reasonably laid back and not to stressful unless a situation occurred which was often.
What was once a great company is slowly declining
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 5, 2018
When I first worked at this company it was an exhilerating experience that taught me so much about sales and customer service. As time went on, management changed, promotional prices dropped and the company started to deteriorate. Attempting to deal with cooperate as an employee or member is a miserable experience. Cooperate allows management and employees to drown under the numerous issues not properly handled within the company. A big reason for me staying here for so long was the support of co-workers and the members using the facility. Cooperate should find better ways to properly invest in their clubs and provide better support for its employees.
Pros
Flexible hours, free gym membership
Cons
Short-staffed, no support from cooperate
loved it!
Front Desk Associate/Welcome Team (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYSeptember 4, 2018
if you love being at the gym, this is the place forr you. But you do need patients to work here. A LOT of patients. People can be very obnoxious and will drive you crazy but i have worked in 3 locations, there will always be a group of regulars that have your back and coworkers you will love
Pros
great working enviornment, decent compensation, free gym membership, discounted personal training, paid days off, etc
Cons
odd hours, worst customers, deal with lots of idiots, etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Town Sports International. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight