Town Sports International Employee Reviews

Management is poor
Receptionist/Childcare Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
The company went downhill, management only cared about their own pocket and bad with taking care of members.Members complain about service and machines.
Pros
near home
Cons
management is horrible
I was the Sales manager
owner (Former Employee) –  498 7th Avenue N.Y.C.September 14, 2018
I participated in all phases of the manufacturing process from creating items to the finished product. I managed budgets and helped
sales in the US and overseas.
Great work environment
Total Woman Gym (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 13, 2018
The people I work with are GREAT. Everyone gets along, and the members are friendly. Everyone seems to know each other,and the management is great. Hardest part of the job be dealing with angry members, but love the work place environment.
Pros
company parties, open houses
Cons
no cons
Flexible job
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
Was happy to work for Town SPorts when I did. Massive organization so there is always space somewhere if you want a job. My position was not especially demanding.
Productive but poor management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Marlboro, NJSeptember 11, 2018
A typical day either ran slow and smooth or completely disorganized chaos.
There was always disorganization due to poor management, but the job was reasonably laid back and not to stressful unless a situation occurred which was often.
What was once a great company is slowly declining
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 5, 2018
When I first worked at this company it was an exhilerating experience that taught me so much about sales and customer service. As time went on, management changed, promotional prices dropped and the company started to deteriorate. Attempting to deal with cooperate as an employee or member is a miserable experience. Cooperate allows management and employees to drown under the numerous issues not properly handled within the company. A big reason for me staying here for so long was the support of co-workers and the members using the facility. Cooperate should find better ways to properly invest in their clubs and provide better support for its employees.
Pros
Flexible hours, free gym membership
Cons
Short-staffed, no support from cooperate
loved it!
Front Desk Associate/Welcome Team (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYSeptember 4, 2018
if you love being at the gym, this is the place forr you. But you do need patients to work here. A LOT of patients. People can be very obnoxious and will drive you crazy but i have worked in 3 locations, there will always be a group of regulars that have your back and coworkers you will love
Pros
great working enviornment, decent compensation, free gym membership, discounted personal training, paid days off, etc
Cons
odd hours, worst customers, deal with lots of idiots, etc
very stressful job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAAugust 28, 2018
answered phones for members of the sports club in PA, NJ, and NY. Customers were horrible, always angry and yelling. Management was ver hands off, and had a deal with it mentality.
Pros
I worked with my husband
Cons
very stresssful job
great place to work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2018
it was a great place to work. great people. great classes. i don't want to write about a place i haven't worked at in three years. this is crazy. blah blah blah
productive and adventurous
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, NJAugust 23, 2018
This job requires immense patience and no personal schedule whatsoever. It's encouraged that you check your online work schedule every day, as it is subject to change that often as a part-time worker. Front desk hours can get competitive since most of applicants are vying for the job and there are 6-7 people with the position per club and almost no double coverage. The most enjoyable part of the job is the free membership to any club for exercising, and that's about it. They strictly mandate the hours and overtime is usually out of the question, as it's more paperwork for them to fill out and you, obviously, get paid more. Trying to cooperate with the Sales department in terms of members and guests coming in the door is a nightmare; they rarely fill out any of the guest forms themselves, everyone wants a free guest pass, and not everyone can get it. Some people get told that they can just come in for free, and that will contradict with what you're told during training and by any other Front Desk employee. It's an easy job if you don't mind customer service and dealing with the clientele brings in
Pros
Great company
Cons
Great company
Please don’t work here
Program Manager/APM/Club staff (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJ; Dobbs ferry NY; Ramsey NJAugust 20, 2018
Save yourself a lot of regret. This company will work you to death and hardly pay you. Sales staff grind harder than anyone and receive no encouragement or support from management. I worked in the club level as both staff and management. Poorly paid. When I hit my targets directors would say great now make us more money. Targets were based on previous years at first, then they switched it to being the same target per month to total for the year- unrealistic. They will promote from within but not raise your pay. No bonuses, not easy to request time off, nothing fun or encouraging for the staff as a whole to encourage team building or excitement to “improve lives through exercise”. Investors change over every single year and layoffs happen easily when company does poorly. They over-pay their corporate level employees who never come around to see how the clubs are doing. I could go on and on with everything wrong with this company- I honestly can’t believe they’re still in existence with how terrible they treat both staff and members. Please don’t even consider this place. Ever.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Salary, poor communication, staff treated horribly overall
Unprofessional management
Personal Trainer/Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYAugust 16, 2018
Mostly kids that work there that end up being promoted, because the turnover is so high. Management is careless and doesn't listen to the members but its clean.
fun work place
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
Job Is very fast pace but fun, you have to be able to multi task and be very friendly. Working at town sports you receive a free gym membership as long as you're employed with the company, you get a discount on personal training sessions and access to all the other gyms as long as thei
Cool Environment Overall
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 13, 2018
It really depends on which building you work for (you can switch between any of the nysc or its branch gyms). You are allowed to use any gym for free and its services at a lower price (but you cannot reserve). You are also allowed to work at any gym and easily switch between job roles (janitorial, selling memberships, trainer, babysitting or front desk). The gym I worked for, had a kind managers who paid attention to all their staff (in a joking, great for work-ethic way). The hardest part of the job was [expecting/anticipating] answering phone calls from members (especially those who call repeated times) because their issues have been improperly handled. The most enjoyable part was the free and easy access to the gym after work/on break.
Pros
Free gym basic membership, discounted training, Extra hours
Cons
Mostly in Manhattan and Brooklyn in NYC area
Make sure your personal goal supersede the projected goals
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
Be self motivated and capable of making smart decisions for yourself and the company. Don't worry about being liked by your peers; integrity amongst your clients equals success.
Pros
Free gym access
Cons
Poor management
Not the best Fitness Company
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  NJAugust 11, 2018
Promotions are political, and they put you through "trial" periods of 2 months to see if you are worthy of the promotion and make you work extra for free

Overall declining company. Closing gyms.
Terribly managed facility
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJAugust 10, 2018
New York sports club was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The corporation is money and money only and do not care one bit about the employees that work there.
Pros
Cons
Managment
Horrible management
Welcome Team Member (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 10, 2018
Disorganized, demanding, non-communicative, liars and thiefs. Went above and beyond my job title and was never recognized for my efforts. Did not work with my schedule and cut hours frequently.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No set lunch break, poor communication within staff, disrespectful liars in management
Little stressful but at the same time fun
Membership Consultant/Front Desk Reception (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTAugust 8, 2018
You get to learn lots of new things but most you get to have fun at the same time with clients and classes of training. Love that you are able to be out in the streets also to interact with clients.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No good benifits
do not recommend
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 7, 2018
I worked for approx. 6 months doing sales and did not get paid for the whole time working except for training. it took a total of 3 months after I left to receive the back pay they owed me. Very disorganized.
Pros
clean atmosphere
Cons
low pay, disorganized management, payroll issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Town Sports International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.6Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight