Town Sports International Employee Reviews

Co workers and members made it worthwhile
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 15, 2019
The pay was not good enough for life manageable. I worked for my entire pregnancy and was not paid for maternity leave even returned back after delivery and received less hours. Management changed often even went a few months without a stabled manager. Was often asked to do work that wasn’t in the job title.
Pros
Meeting new people daily
Cons
The pay management sucked
high pace and energetic place to work at
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYMarch 15, 2019
This has been an amazing place to be involved at. The aspect of helping people achieve their fitness goals is so appealing there, it leaves coming back for more.
Pros
Everything about the gym
Cons
Good work environment went through many changes
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  Croton-on-Hudson, NYMarch 14, 2019
Enjoyed the time at Nysc. Went through a few corporate changes and jobs were eliminated or moved. Only reason I left for something closer to home. Fair salary and benefits while I was there
Pros
Fair pay and great team
Cons
changes in structure cost jobs
Family like work-place environment
Receptionist/Membership Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2019
New York Sports Clubs is a very laid-back company that treats it's employees with respected members of a team. Being part of a team is very important in the company and once you find your place in it, you will love working there.
Pros
Free exclusive, all access gym membership
Cons
Hard to call off from work
Very cool fitness facility
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  astor plMarch 4, 2019
I worked at the Flagship location, and it was absolutely amazing. The views were great, the staff friendly, and the clients were upscale. Great place to work as a trainer
Pros
Money
Cons
Too many clubs
Dont expect to receive great pay
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 2, 2019
The amount of energy expended did not match the pay. They're not the most competitive in payment and benefits. After working long hours to attract clientele that wasn't guaranteed, you will have to seek outside employment for a decent weeks pay.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Payment
Loved what i did, Did not like who i was doing it for
Fitness Trainer (Former Employee) –  Baldwin Place, NYFebruary 28, 2019
I loved what i did but i did not like working for the company. The management played favorites and would not help you advance in the company. I signed up to be a personal trainer not a salesperson.
Good work environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Woodmere, NYFebruary 24, 2019
Great company, flexible hours and understanding with school schedule. Workplace was relaxed, but had times where you have a fast paced foot traffic you have to mange.
Good place to grow but not long term
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 24, 2019
Through my years there and having grown up in the company, I had the advantage to see it grown throughout the years. But as an adult, I was able to witness what goes on in the background. The facilities that were horribly up kept and was a result of a loss of retention in the sales aspect. Though it can be seen as an unprofessional/money hungry work environment with no care for the employee.
Cons
healthcare
There aren’t any new clients
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor at Total Woman (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 18, 2019
There have been very few new clients that want to purchase training since TSI has purchased Total Woman. The gym seems to be empty most days and at most of the busy times.
Pros
We have small group classes
Cons
Personal Training Memberships
Fun and beneficial for well being
Fitness Educator (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTFebruary 16, 2019
Great people and energy. Stress release and great to assist so many people on so many levels to reach lifelong goals of good health.
Many members come and go do to top management which often puts stress on the instructors as we love what we do. We wish we could have a larger budget to offer many more classes as a variety . This would bring and keep our membership high and pleased!
I practice and prepare alot and it shows in my larger class numbers.
I love music so I spend many houses selecting and choreographing for my Zumba classes. My silver sneakers has my attention due to the often fragility of their makeup. They are so positive and motivating!!
Pros
Cons
Distance to drive
Not worth the headache.
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2019
No morale within the company. Horrible work ethics from the top to the bottom. Lack of communication. Shady business practices. Higher-ups will leave the gyms in a disarray with broken equipment and disgusting locker rooms and then blame the workers when members complain and cancel.
nysc
General Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2019
the most disorganized company i have ever worked for. Nysc does not have any concern for its members nor staff. it is nothing short of a miracle how they are still a company
fun place to work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 29, 2019
TSI was a great place to work at. The location I was employed at no longer exists and if i was still in that field I would be thrilled at the opportunity to be employed by them again.
It is what you make it.
Support Person Systems (Current Employee) –  Elmsford, NYJanuary 28, 2019
Calm environment, most people are really nice, some are shy, some are miserable, not my problem. Classic corporate, its what you expect, growing complany.
Cheap Business
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2019
Company loves to promote within. They do not do a great job in preparing anyone for the roles they are taking on. More so they throw you in the water and do not give much on going support. The company as a whole is spread too thin and responsibilities are given to Mid Level managers which take away any productivity. Upper management fail to fully support and resort to punishments as a course for motivation. Many choices/decisions tread a fine line of ethical business practices.
Fitness Franchise
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, PAJanuary 21, 2019
Typical duties required as a Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor. Had to work your way through Apprentice levels. Floor hrs included selling workout packages and cleaning equipment. unfortunately there was a high turn over rate in management nd Fitness Manager.
Horrible work environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 16, 2019
I’ve been an employee for a little bit over 4 years now. Over those 4 years I been through a lot with this company such as management threatening to fire me while I’m admitted into a hospital/mom passing away and being touched inappropriately by another co worker. Co workers are horrible. They don’t give you a break. I was trying to get a transfer due to me moving and they gave me a hard time by not getting back. The other day I had to train my replacement and to find out today that last week was my last and my shifts are no longer my shifts. I don’t recommend working here.
Pros
Friendly members
Cons
Horrible management and Co workers
It was a great place to work
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Working here was really fun. I enjoyed what I did and the people I worked with. I would definitely recommend others to work here. The work was at times hard depending on what needed to be done. I learned a great deal about audio video work here at TSI and i am grateful for it.
Fun place to work
Front Desk Customer Service & Fitness Trainer (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CT 06907January 12, 2019
This was a job where I had to answer phone calls customer service. I had to train clients and help other emlpoyees and managers with anything they needed me to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Town Sports International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight