Town of Vail

Town of Vail Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work!
Great place to work for a season! Fair managers, collaborative, everybody works together, nice hours, 3 day weekends for almost everybody. Guaranteed 40 hours.
I enjoyed my time at the Town of Vail
I preferred morning shifts, supervisors were helpful with any concerns. Winter shifts could be stressful, but, roads were plowed early and often. I was an seasonal driver during the winter season and an on call driver during the summer.
Don’t understand the selection process
First of all I applied for this job (911 dispatcher) because of the location and the love for that line of work. When I applied I really thought I was pretty qualified for this job, I’m a disabled veteran, bilingual, with 5 years experience as an emergency dispatcher and around 50 credits in Criminal Justice. Well then I get an email from Marc Wentworth saying “Thank you for your application, at this time I have decided to pursue other candidates for this job.” with this I have all kinds of questions, how do they select the candidates? What’s the criteria? Because if I am a protected veteran, a minority (Hispanic), I have a disability and on top of that I’m more than qualified for this position, is this an equal opportunity employer? I don’t think so. I guess they just didn’t like something about me (they never interviewed me) because the job posting still up which means they are still looking just not someone like me.
Pros
None as far as I know
Cons
Not an equal opportunity employer
Beautiful Location, Ridiculously Low Wages, Poor Leadership
The Town of Vail do mes anything and everything for customers, but they do not have that same attitude towards employees. Despite losing tons of employees they still do not pay enough to support the extremely high cost of living. Management does not want to deal with problems and this has supported an unhealthy culture.
Pros
Benefits and location
Cons
Wages, Cost of Living, Toxic Culture, Inept Leadership
Great for a season but no chance if you want to live in vail for long term
You bust your but to get full time. Then they kick you out of employee housing. No free ski pass. 5000 dollar deductible for there own insurance plan. Average 1 bedroom or studio is 1800 so the dollar you get for becoming full time is just enough for a tent at a camp Ground! Don’t waste your time!!! They only care about the seasonal help! There actions speak louder then there words! There favorite is “we are aware of that and I heard it’s being changed” bbbbbssss!!!! Have fun driving drunk out of there mind people around!
Pros
Cons
Hr, housing, insurance, schedul, pay, night driving, drunk people
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Hardest part of the job
Working strange hours and split shifts. I worked from 4 pm to 3 am. It was super busy and had to deal with late night crazy ness. Also dark and very cold.
Pros
Multiple breaks
Cons
Late night hours
Great organization to work for. The pay scale doesn’t come close to meeting cost of living requirements. It’s a beautiful place to live and work, and the people are great. The Vail valley is a great mountain community with a thriving economy.
Awesome place to work!
Great place to work. Chill mountain environment. Great co-workers/management. A place you could stay at for decades. Employee housing helped, but long-term the costs and availability of housing is probably the biggest hurdle people face in the Vail Valley.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
resort town municipal government
Great projects with new technology designed to make Vail a premier resort community.

Seasonal projects that prepare the town for very busy winter and summer events.

Flexible work schedule to accommodate work/life/recreation balance.
Pros
Ski pass, amazing summers, retirement programs, well funded budgets, great management.
Cons
Cost of living, Winter driving, long winters
fun place to work
Great work atmosphere in a beautiful place, fun to work. Met great management, co-workers, dealing with the people all over the world. Vacation place, prime ski resort well known all over the world.
Pros
great benefits, management always helpful
good place to work
worked 8 hrs a day in winter 4 -10hr days in summer
how to operate equipment

management was good

co-workers were good to work with

nothing hard about the job

working with co-workers
Pros
lot of vacation days
Cons
Professional and customer service oriented
The Town of Vail is extremely customer service driven for the community, guests and employees. The Community Development Department constantly focuses how to get the customer to yes. Meaning if the process answer is no staff will review or suggest another approach for the customers.

Because of our transparency the majority of customers are satisfied even surprised that a government agency could be helpful.
Pros
ski pass or health club contributions on top of medical benefits
Cons
long term employees retiring meaning less historic knowledge being passed along
Excellent Job Serving the public
I work a 40 hr plus work week. I enjoy helping the community and had been in Emergency service/Customer Service since 1989.
Pros
Excellent Pay and Benefits
Cons
Live away from my Family
Great people
I feel very fortunate having worked at that place. Management was very supportive and understanding. They recognize all the hard work and good ideas.