TPC Group

TPC Group Employee Reviews

Great Experience but Poor Culture
TPC does allow for its employees to wear many hats and gain lots of experience. However the way they promote from within is less about actual experience and and more about being in the "in crowd" which is 90% ex Lyondell employees. The sub culture is very passive agressive. Accountability for following policy and procedures is non-existent.Mid-level to upper management no experience needed.
Unable to walk the walk
The company has some great operators who want to do a good job and make positive changes, but management gets in the way. The operators are great and some of the managers are forward thinking. The company needs to be bought so new management can be put in place. The benefits are average, nothing great. Tons of overtime which is good and bad.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Senior Management
people i worked with
loved the ones i worked with, made rounds, visual inspections of vessels, freed up equipment. worked quite a bit of overtime. I was there for 3 years and wasn't qualified on all outside jobs, should take 2 years for all 4 outside and board operator jobs.
Pros
great pay
Cons
too much overtime
Workplace Culture
Working for TPC Group is very good. That allows for flexible hours and have a GREAT Benefit package. The management team is easy to work with and get along with.
Poor management union hands don’t know nothing
Un experienced hands getting paid more than experienced hands to many chiefs not
Enough Indians management sucks structured wrong favoritism has the wrong people in the wrong places
Pros
Cons
Poor management un experienced personnel favortism
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Family Atmosphere
Overall decent place to work. Plant is very old so the enviorment is gloomy. Passive agressive culture makes for many missed opprontunites to address and advance good ideas.
Pros
Lots of opprotunities
Cons
Nearly exclusively former Lyondel leadership team.
was a contract to hire position
was a contract to hire position -
Small company politics and bias are very evident, management does not let go bad performers but instead keep them around due to hands tied by upper management possibly.
Pros
Management - work personal life balance
Cons
Poorly managed, make the CEO rich quick business
Typical work include daily operations, preparation of equipment for maintenance, and samples.

TPC had poor management skills and did not believe in putting money back into the business to make it more user friendly. TPC would rather make the CEO rich and move him along to the next. The management in place when I was employed used scare tactics and constantly threatened peoples job to try to get things done.

There was absolutely no defined training plan and I never really felt safe while employed.
Not the safest place to work
I felt that the company could be more safety focused. Training could handled better. When you try the hardest to get help with work and you dont get it, it makes for terrible work place.
Great People. Great Company.
It’s an old plant with many challenges, but the company has recently started investing a tremendous amount of money upgrading and repairing equipment. In anticipation of increasing production, they have also started hiring additional personnel. I can’t say enough about the people. Everyone I’ve met - from the CEO to operators - have been genuinely nice people.
Training could be better. It’s really disorganized and, unfortunately doesn’t seem to be a priority.
Pros
Good pay, lots of overtime, decent benefits, family atmosphere
Cons
Lots of overtime, old plant, training program
Improvement Focus in a Dynamic Environment
After working for many large organizations, the size of TPC Group is really refreshing. I could actually get the right people in the room to enact change and they were willing to listen. You are trusted early on to "run with it" and those that can handle the improvement focused, fast paced, rapidly changing environment can make a big difference and get noticed/rewarded for it.

Management is values focused and treats employees well. There is a strong culture of collaboration and engagement. It's a great place to work if you are experienced and willing to bet on your own success.
Pros
Culture, Opportunity, Stability, Coworkers, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Lack of formal training programs (you have to seek it out on your own)
Tpc
Only work there for a short time but did enjoy my job. Was challenging but I personally did not like the plant environment. Lots of nice people and team support.
Refuses to fix equipment properly
Worked there for 3 years. If you are looking for a plant to work at to get the plant experience the better companies want, then this is the place. Equipment is outdated, adapted to fit adaptions. Equipment is in dire need of repair and updates. Management is too complacent and is always looking for the cheapest fix. Employee benefits have been eroded away. No bonus, no 401k contributions and company always appears to be on the brink of bankruptcy.
Pros
Hourly employees are great and helpful. Easy to accumulate vacation time. 9-80 schedule
Cons
Cafeteria, management, pay, equipment, shop, transportation in the plant.
Management: Expectations are high!
Every day is a challenge; expectations, at times, are overwhelming and not achievable, given the resources to work with.
Opportunity to learn is present; there is no limit, should the desire to increase one's knowledge, be the goal.

Management style leans towards "Corporate America", company's management and departments are very lean to fit a large company model with several layers of management. Being a small company (with respect to the number of employees) focus should be driven to support internal customers, as well as operations.

Due to lean departments, it was most difficult to complete tasks as scheduled - lack of Team support and participation due to each team members daily tasks and/or responsibilities.

Enjoyed working with colleagues - the relationships established while working with different departments. Great people to work with.
Pros
Depending on the manager, flexible schedule
Cons
Rise in health care cost and direction of senior leadership
Fun company with great people
I worked in IT for 5 years and met lots of great people. If you are a chemical engineering student, they offer great internships as well.The Galleria location was awesome and right on the Sugar Land bus line too.
Great experience,undevided attention required
It's a spontaneous job always in your feet .I loved my crew hated I had to move .working for this company was a great experience all ways on time it had its advantage's. Everyone was friendly it was a high task moving around a warehouse full of people but it also was good to learn to work with different cultures
Pros
1hour lunches
Cons
Miner breaks can use a longer break and shorter lunches
Busy chemical enviroment/work life balance
Great place to work, extremely old chemcial facility. Supported 300 employees with Hr related issues as a HR Generalist, diverse workforce. Employee engagement was the most rewarding part of this position.
Needs some changes
Overall this company started out to be a decent company but has started doing away with alot of the employee benefits and is becoming a very unsafe place to work.
planning dept
Good company to work at, enjoyed working with the people at TPC , great planning dept , just needs to hire more planners to cover All the live units
Pros
working people
Cons
healthcare
current employed and qualified in 3 units
A typical day at work is clearing equipment for maintenance, making rounds, taking samples and trouble shooting there is a need. I have learned a lot being that I am qualified in 3 different units. I have trained new hires and the training department are using my manuals that I personally made for the blueprints of the new ones. That is a gap between management and operators, there is no communication or responses to the problems and questions we present. I enjoy my co-workers, if there is something to do outside everyone is out there helping even if they are not qualified in that unit. The hardest part of the job is the training, there is none, you basically print out process overviews of units and train yourself asking questions to the person that is working in that unit at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers.
Pros
I'm employed
Cons
Pay rate, training, maintenance and communication, ecp system
Nice work place to begin a carrer
Daily busy scheduled that keeps you you on top. Co-workers pleasant to be around, productive. Hardest part is the commute, most enjoyable- nice work place to at.